Seven Hurt In Bangkok Steak House Gas Explosion

webfact

Of course, if the regulator failed there wasn't much that they could. do.

Well, you could try shutting off the valve on the gas tank!!! DOH!!!

A regulator is the technical term for a gas tank valve. It's a valve that regulates the flow of gas from 0% to 100%.

No it is NOT, a regulator is a device that provides constant pressure of the gas, All propane and LP Gas applications require the use of a regulator. Because pressures in propane tanks can fluctuate significantly, regulators must be present to deliver a steady flow pressure to downstream appliances. the valve on the tank simply lets the gas out more or less at the full pressure in the tank.

I don't know how the valves are made in Thailand, but in the States you can open the valve on a propane tank that does not have the regulator attached and it will NOT dispense gas.

post-9891-0-59494000-1336658221_thumb.jp.......................................................post-9891-0-47321000-1336658235_thumb.jp

tank with shut-off valve & regulator ready to attach........................................regulator & hose................

Equals 1000 words.

"A Cambodian cook identified only as Tomy, 30, told police the kitchen crew had panicked after a 15kg cooking gas canister they were changing sprang a leak while ovens were operating."

This doesn't sound like a very safe procedure.

Lucky it wasn't worse. These unregulated uses of gas tanks in Thailand in commercial and residential locations is a ticking bomb. Most people would be like Tony the cook from Cambodia, and they would just run or be totally ignorant that a gas leak is a hazard. There is no regulated guidance on this at all.

Even in the heavily regulated west, gas explosions in homes and commercial spaces are not that uncommon from a variety of causes. The canisters used here do have inherent risks but so do the underground gas lines found in many western cities. Every year, there are blasts when gas lines are ruptured by construction equipment like backhoes digging up streets. Many deaths from CO1 also result from improperly vented gas household and water heaters.

There is one of the "yeah, well it happens in the west, too" posts in almost every topic.

I fail to see how 1) it is relevant to what happens in Thailand and 2) why anyone would suggest (blindly) that the safety standards in, say, the US are equivalent to those in Thailand.

It's utterly ridiculous.

Lucky it wasn't worse. These unregulated uses of gas tanks in Thailand in commercial and residential locations is a ticking bomb. Most people would be like Tony the cook from Cambodia, and they would just run or be totally ignorant that a gas leak is a hazard. There is no regulated guidance on this at all.

Ignorant? He knew enough to run didn't he?

No sure where you shop 'Rockdoc' but I have just been down to my local gas cylinder supplier and there is not one single cylinder without a shut-of valve. I have only seen the ball type valves on small camping type cylinders.

And 'thaiedward' All gas valves are designed to give the correct flow to the regulator when fully open, partially closed valves can cause problems that I won't go into here. Try Charles and Boyles gas laws. As far as only opening Acetylene valves a fraction defiinately a No No, if you have flame arestors fitted then you sould not have a problem.

When I moved to Thailand I didn't know anything about these gas tanks. When we got our oven I was told where to go buy one. So I went and bought one and brought it back home only to find out that it didn't fit. I needed the valve, or regulator or whatever. A friend told me what I needed (I'm not so handy) and I went back and described to them what I needed. They conferred a bit among themselves and then figured out what I needed. Then they produced one from the back and sold it to me. This was a big major gas tank shop on a major road. I'm not sure why they didn't sell it to me with the tank right off.

No sure where you shop 'Rockdoc' but I have just been down to my local gas cylinder supplier and there is not one single cylinder without a shut-of valve. I have only seen the ball type valves on small camping type cylinders.

And 'thaiedward' All gas valves are designed to give the correct flow to the regulator when fully open, partially closed valves can cause problems that I won't go into here. Try Charles and Boyles gas laws. As far as only opening Acetylene valves a fraction defiinately a No No, if you have flame arestors fitted then you sould not have a problem.

When I moved to Thailand I didn't know anything about these gas tanks. When we got our oven I was told where to go buy one. So I went and bought one and brought it back home only to find out that it didn't fit. I needed the valve, or regulator or whatever. A friend told me what I needed (I'm not so handy) and I went back and described to them what I needed. They conferred a bit among themselves and then figured out what I needed. Then they produced one from the back and sold it to me. This was a big major gas tank shop on a major road. I'm not sure why they didn't sell it to me with the tank right off.

99.99% people go to a gas shop to buy gas. Only 0.01% go to buy a valve, or regulator.

I don't know who is stupider?

It seems to me that the "nationality" is not the determinant factor here. Gas & faulty equipment is always a bad mix. Reminds me of a "fake" advertisement they had in Germany a couple of years ago. It was at a time where a lot of people exchanged the oil tanks in their basements and installed gas heating systems instead. The add says "Natural Gas. Makes lots of room and is invisible". The picture proves that statement.

post-4853-0-29191100-1336704589_thumb.jp

"A Cambodian cook identified only as Tomy, 30, told police the kitchen crew had panicked after a 15kg cooking gas canister they were changing sprang a leak while ovens were operating."

This doesn't sound like a very safe procedure.

Perhaps just a simple case of change it quickly get the threads crossed and there is your leak. That can happen anywhere not only Thailand.

99.99% people go to a gas shop to buy gas. Only 0.01% go to buy a valve, or regulator.

I don't know who is stupider?

99.99% calls the 'gas man' on the phone and he will come to your place and exchange your empty can with a full one. That's one of the things I like about Thailand. smile.png

In the Western Countries, most Propane Tanks (LPG) have a master valve screwed in to the Propane Tank. The Customer's Pressure Regulator is connectected to the Master Valve, either directly or via Steel Piping or Hoses. The Pressure in the Tank is the Std Vapor Pressure of Propane/Butane ... i.e., 40 psi. The Reg reduces the Pressure to about 1/3 psi (5.5" wc). The problem I've seen in Thailand, is that the Tanks are almost always, much too close to a source of ignition ... be that open flames from burners of ovens. Many Thai houses have the tanks are stored directly under the burners. This is incredibly hazardous. In Canada, most larger gas storage tanks and the regulator are located outside of the house and the reduced pressure (Houseline) gas is piped into the house in Steel Piping. This separates the storage Tanks from the source of ignition. Needless tosay, the Tanks must be stored in a secure storage facility. Also not a good idea to have the incredibly hot sun shining directly onto a Propane Tank. Also one must keep in mind that the Specific Gravity of LPG Vapor is 1.03; therefore it is 3% heavie than air. When it escapes, it tends to flow down to the lowest level in a confined space and fill up the space from the bottom up. Natural Gas is only 55% the weight of air; so it tends to collect at the top of a confined space and fill it from the top down

The problem I've seen in Thailand, is that the Tanks are almost always, much too close to a source of ignition ... be that open flames from burners of ovens. Many Thai houses have the tanks are stored directly under the burners. This is incredibly hazardous.

Would something like this be dangerous?: Cylinder Single Stove

I've often seen something like this used by street food vendors.

The problem I've seen in Thailand, is that the Tanks are almost always, much too close to a source of ignition ... be that open flames from burners of ovens. Many Thai houses have the tanks are stored directly under the burners. This is incredibly hazardous.

Would something like this be dangerous?: Cylinder Single Stove

I've often seen something like this used by street food vendors.

The more connections made, the more chances for leaks. With only one, direct connection, and nothing to confine the gas, these "Picnics" are safer than many other gas appliances.

It's all very simple - a few golden rules:

Never have a gas cylinder in a room - keep it outside in the air secured by chains or a cage if necessary.

Piping from appliances to the outside should be metal - dont use PVC

Ensure all appliances are equiped with a thermocouple - no flame, no gas