Thai Wildlife Officials To Visit Kenyan Parks

Wildlife officials to visit Kenyan parks

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Natural Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department is spending over Bt25 million to send 300 of its staff on a study jaunt to Kenya.

"We want the officials to open their eyes and ears. Kenya's national parks are a world model for national park management. They should visit this place at least once in their lifetime," Damrong Phitdej, director-general of the department, said yesterday.

The 300 officials, including 16 chief wardens of national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, will separate into five groups of 60 each. The Bt25-million budget, approved by the department on March 30, is coming from national park admission fees.

A consulting company has also been hired to take care of the participants during the whole trip.

Damrong has already led a group of 10 officials including his deputy Rerngchai Prayoonvej on a similar study trip to Kenya.

The department annually reserves 15 per cent of its income from collecting national park fees to support communities around national parks and to maintain national parks.

Some of this budget will support its officials in going abroad to learn about the management of national parks in other counties, like Tanzania, whose Kilimanjaro National Park boasts the highest mountain in Africa.

"Personally I think it's good for operating staff to have a chance to open their eyes and see what other countries like Kenya have done to manage national parks. This trip will be an inspiration for them to work hard and improve our national parks," said Theerapat Prayoonsit, deputy director-general of the department.

The department earns Bt300 million-Bt500 million a year from national park fees. Last year, it took in Bt496 million.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-10

Back to Kenya and its animals?

http://www.thaivisa....ya/#entry797474

Posted 2006-06-29 12:51:52

Caretaker Thaksin applies to build tourist hotel in Kenya

Nairobi, Kenya - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is under pressure to halt his planned importation of wild animals and birds from Kenya, has expressed interest in building a hotel in the country, officials said on Wednesday.

Kenyan Tourism and Wildlife Minister Morris Dzoro said authorities were scrutinizing the premier's application.

"Thaksin has asked us about putting up a hotel here in Kenya and we are considering his application just like any other investor," Dzoro told a press conference here.

In November 2005, Kenya signed an agreement to give Thailand 175 wild animals and birds for the Mae Hia Safari Park in its northern Chiang Mai province, sparking angry protests from wildlife welfare activists and conservationists.

Within weeks, the controversial deal was halted by a Nairobi high court pending conclusion of a suit challenging its legality.

Source: The Nation - 29 June 2006

Maybe they're going to revive Thaksin's previous plan of importing wild animals from Kenya so that they could be served at the Chiang Mai Night Safari's restaurant buffet

The Director of the Night Safari's bizarre plan for Kenyan zebra and lion steaks has moved up to become the current Science MInister.... and the richest current Cabinet Minister to boot.

His 1,000 boat propellers to control the flooded Chao Phraya river is another of his classic moves.

Didn't the Chiang Mai Night-Safari once propose an exotic-meats buffet at 4,000B/person, and attract world-wide bad-publicity as a result, perhaps Dr Plodprasop (now Science Minister) might clarify the government's current-position on elephant-meat for tourists ? sick.gif

Or perhaps he doesn't remember ... dry.png

The current "Small Boats In A Swollen, Flooded River Will Have An Impact" Science Minister, incidentally, the richest Cabinet Minister, in a previous role where he put elephant on the menu.

podpasob.jpg

Pheu Thai Party-list MP and former Chiang Mai Night Safari Project Director, Plodprasop Suraswadi

Chiang Mai Safari: Rare Animals On The Menu At Zoo, Eat lion, tiger, elephant, giraffe meat

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat; conservation groups outraged. Lovers of "wild" cuisine are in for a treat when Chiang Mai's Night Safari opens next year, Project Director Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday. Visitors to the park's Vareekunchorn restaurant will have the option of tucking in to an "Exotic Buffet" of tiger, lion, elephant and giraffe, for just Bt4,500 a head.

http://www.thaivisa....post__p__549707

Edited by Buchholz

it would be interesting to see how Father Joe would use the 25 million baht to provide medical and education services and training in the Klong Toey slum. It's a certainty that all the Thai Wildlife Commission "official" have visited and contribute to Father Joe's foundation.

This trip is a frivolous and preposterous use of Thai taxpayer money.

• Like 1

Are you shi*ting me? This is rediculous. It takes 300 of them to visit the parks in Kenya? I would think half a dozen would be quite sufficient, not 300.

Talk about the Thai taxpayer getting the shaft.

Amazing Thailand indeed.

Yes eating wildlife is an extreme big-face pastime for people with big face throughout the region. I'm sure they'll have many opportunities to indulge at cut-rate prices, and bring back some of the bizarre "medicines" as well.

Wonder if they have to pay 'farang entrance fees'? rolleyes.gif

Wherever they go in the world, Thais are Thais and everyone else, including locals, are farang. But having visited parks in Kenya, as non-residents they will be paying the "farang" price which ranges from USD15 - 80, more for multi-day trips to Mt Kenya.

Kenya Wildlife Service says about these fees "Entry fees are charged at all our national parks and reserves, where revenues are kept to support visitor services and facilities. Every time you visit a park or site you are investing in its future."

If the Thai park officials actually learn lessons they can bring back from Kenya then the 83000THB skimmed from Thai National Park gate fees to pay for each of these officials to go on their study tour (junket) should also be an investment in the future of Thai parks. I wonder how this will be monitored?

What a crock of sh*t. Start with listening to the resident experts in wildlife and forest management first. There are many such experts in Thailand. Get to work stopping the poaching and encroachment first. There is no point going on a trip to Kenya if they can't protect the Thai preserves first.

Wonder if they will learn Ke-Swahili before they go?

I spent a few years in East-Africa organizing safaris.

I'm thinking this delegation wants to show their African brethren how to milk extra cash out of foreign visitors To insure they get their cut of this brilliant idea, a return visit next year will be on the cards.

Some of the things they should learn from visiting Kenyan parks are;

1. You have to have wildlife to show visitors, the more wildlife available, the more money visitors are prepared to pay to enter the park.

2. In order to have wildlife, you have to have active, well-trained rangers who are motivated to patrol and protect the wildlife, so their populations go up or are at least stable, and the top carnivores are all present (e.g. cheetahs, lions, leopards) and in abundance (tigers have been lost from most Thai parks) so the deer and other prey species numbers are kept in check.

3. Interpretation in the park is important. This includes knowledgeable guides who can point you to places where the wildlife is active. Good maps, well-maintained roads and times or seasons when parts of the park are closed to allow wildlife not to be disturbed.

All this takes vision, planning and organization on the part of the National Park agency, and good management of staff inside the parks, things that are mostly or completely lacking in Thailand.

"Wildlife officials to visit Kenyan parks"

I never thought Thai officials would admit their parks weren't good enough.

They don't. It's a paid holiday, all inclusive. wink.png

All family member also go FREE? Or at half price?

"Wildlife officials to visit Kenyan parks"

I never thought Thai officials would admit their parks weren't good enough.

They don't. It's a paid holiday, all inclusive. wink.png

All family member also go FREE? Or at half price?

Don't know, but they could hardly be called officials.

If you think about, they are going there to see the place history was made. The birthplace of Obama.

Er. Also reputed to be the birthplace of the human race. Not sure if Obama rates as a human, well an accomplished one anyway.

What a crock of sh*t. Start with listening to the resident experts in wildlife and forest management first. There are many such experts in Thailand. Get to work stopping the poaching and encroachment first. There is no point going on a trip to Kenya if they can't protect the Thai preserves first.

Some African countries just shoot people who are hunting in a national park....Something Thailand could learn.

The idea that Thais would ask non Thais for advice on how to manage anything in a better way is preposterous.

Surely there have been enough TV programmes about the Serengeti to know what is needed. I have been to Kruger Park three times and each visit was memorable. If these junketeers come across a buffalo I advise them to keep well clear. They are a very different proposition from Thai buffalos being extremely intelligent and dangerous.

• Like 1

This bit is hilarious, 300...including 16 chief wardens, Who are the other 284 ????? 55555555 Ha Ha With a bit of luck they may have a boat trip off Mombassa (Somali's) will be waiting.

But seriously <deleted> are this regime going to think of next to spend money on, Pay out the people for flood damage...1 of so many things that need to be done. Was it reported not so long back that only 25 tigers were believed to be left in the wild in Thailand ??? maybe Thai officials will want to learn about this cat in Kenya. Ha Ha ha they will be disappointed.

• Like 1

This really is a bullsh!t joke...People are still without homes,clothes, medicines and articles needed for personal hygiene from the deluge of last season...What the hell do they expect to do this year ? Christ...Most of the flood prevention projects are not even started, let alone behind schedule. The PM needs to grow a pair and haul some people out on the carpet and truly, truly put a stop to the corruption here...But then she would be forced to give up her piece of the pie...! I am sure we all have a list of things that have a greater priority in this country than taking a vacation to Africa...I need to stop reading...Because the more I do, the more disgusted I get...Sorry a$$ government this is..Small wonder it doesn't implode.

This bit is hilarious, 300...including 16 chief wardens, Who are the other 284 ????? 55555555 Ha Ha With a bit of luck they may have a boat trip off Mombassa (Somali's) will be waiting.

But seriously <deleted> are this regime going to think of next to spend money on, Pay out the people for flood damage...1 of so many things that need to be done. Was it reported not so long back that only 25 tigers were believed to be left in the wild in Thailand ??? maybe Thai officials will want to learn about this cat in Kenya. Ha Ha ha they will be disappointed.

I just take a deep breath now when I read stories like this...It boggles the mind how they could spend so much on absolutely useless endeavors....useless....!