Motorcycle/Scooter

ChiangMai2012

What are you riding at the moment? Is it comfortable? Or do you feel squashed up?

If you want a scooter, which are smaller and have a flat footplate, I'd most likely go for a Honda Click 125i, but a lot of people like the Yamaha Mio 125. I personally find these bikes too small. Think high 40's to low 50's for these.

If you want something a bit larger, you could get a stepthrough (which have a frame member between the lower seat and the front frame) such as the Yamaha Nouvo and the Suzuki Hayate. Both are 125 now, although you might be able to pick up a second hand Nouvo Elegance which was 135cc. The new Nouvo, and the Hayate go for low to mid 50's

If you wanted the king of the hill, your obvious choice is the Honda PCX 150. Not my style, but it's by far the most popular out there with farangs. You're looking at high 70's to low 80s.

Best advice is to ride a few, and get one that you feel the most comfortable on.

Edited by jamesbrock

Agree with the post above.

New? 2nd hand?

Budget?

Auto? Semi-Auto? Manual?

A little more information would probably get you a great deal more advice.

If you are new to bikes and not mechanically minded then I would not recommend buying 2nd hand in Thailand. There a lot of nice looking crap bikes around.

Remember, no matter how much you polish a turd ...... it's still a turd!!

I agree with Jamesbrock; if you are long leggy farang the clicks/mios are too small especially if you will have it a long time.

I got a Nuovo couple months back, ovely wide seat, feel like you are sitting on a horse and not pony. The nuovo elegence are still 135cc; I think all in price circa 57k that included taxes, insurances and also 2yr theft insurance. on top of that I think it was maybe 3k extra for alloy wheels.; but they are usually to order.

If I do have a criticism about the Ymaha bikes, its the wing mirrors, they dont extend far enough out so its rare i can see behind me without actaully moving, and i quite a slim guy

Otherwise fast enough to leave most other bikes standing.

• Like 1

Don't ignore the humble and common Honda Dream, it's heavier and a bit more stable than the Wave. Given good wheels and tires, and finding one with disk brakes, you have a scoot almost as good as the most expensive options available. Can be fixed anywhere for very little money to.

Twice a group of us have ridden the 600 km Mae Hong Song loop in one day on bikes 125 and under, though several 135cc Yamaha' Nuovo's joined also. Likely if we can get enough interested riders, it would be interesting to have a couple of PCX's along. With a dozen riders of all shapes and sizes, it was interesting to see that there is very little difference in all of these scooter models available in Thailand. Some example of such being; a 60 kg rider on a 100 cc wave stay even with a 100 kg rider on a 135cc automatic, using almost half the gas in the process. The large autos have a speed advantage on the flats and level straights, yet the geared Wave's and Dreams have there speed advantage on the hills. But overall long distance comfort and speed, given that on that ride we are all riding WOT plenty of the time, the group stays together and comfort levels are the same. Me on a well used rental Honda Dream and a friend on his 1 year old Nuovo tried desperately to build a lead over a 100 km's, but only succeed in slowly overtaking each other to regain a brief lead given the advantages I mentioned.

Your deciding factors are your choice of style, brand preference, and storage options.

Consider visiting the Meechoke Plaza, and viewing the huge selection of used bikes available on the weekends.

• Like 1

There is a shop just outside Smith's Place, they have hundreds of second hand bikes.

That place has got bigger and bigger over the years, I have only tried to buy a bike from there once about 3 years ago and his prices weren't very competitive, things may have changed now though and he certainly has a big selection.

There is a shop just outside Smith's Place, they have hundreds of second hand bikes.

That place has got bigger and bigger over the years, I have only tried to buy a bike from there once about 3 years ago and his prices weren't very competitive, things may have changed now though and he certainly has a big selection.

Indeed, they just recently bought a part of the hospital building. Not sure about prices, but they can't differ too much from other places if they want to sell anything.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for lack of details - that was mostly because I dont know. Dont really have a preference on auto or manual - is there a price difference? Right now I've been driving a borrowed Wave 100cc. Its been fine, except when hills are involved (hence the desire to slightly jump up in cc's).

I leaning towards new, because of fear of getting ripped off since I dont know much.

Where is the best place to buy a new one?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for lack of details - that was mostly because I dont know. Dont really have a preference on auto or manual - is there a price difference? Right now I've been driving a borrowed Wave 100cc. Its been fine, except when hills are involved (hence the desire to slightly jump up in cc's).

I leaning towards new, because of fear of getting ripped off since I dont know much.

If you are girl hunting you need a Click, Air Blade or PCx.

No street cred for guys who ride Waves or Dreams ..... these are viewed as bikes ridden by poor or old men.

No street cred for guys who ride Waves or Dreams ..... these are viewed as bikes ridden by poor or old men.

Showing them your ATM card works fine, regardless of bike. tongue.png

Indeed, they just recently bought a part of the hospital building. Not sure about prices, but they can't differ too much from other places if they want to sell anything.

When i send a thai they quote a cheaper price thats why i do not buy there and they can't have that many bikes on low kilometers whistling.gif

Edited by rakchaingmai

I've got 2 bikes (not bragging)

I just bought a click 125i and its great around town. very quiet and no vibrations to give a sore bum but I would nt want to do long trips. Hence the 2nd larger bike cm to thaton in 2.5 hrs!!!!!!!!

I think that if you are mainly driving around the city an auto is the best and its the quickest off the lights. I bought the top range with alloy wheels. They have tubeless radial tyres which means you dont have to top up the air every week like the ones with tubes. Also the new 1 has a 5+ lit tank and i get 250km between refills. Best price i found was 51.7k

Chiangmai2012,

I was in your exact situation 30 months ago. I went through two second-hand bikes and and two new ones before I settled on one that's right for me - which is the important point, matching one' s self to what's good for us.

To the many suggestions above, let me add from my own experiences, many from minor mistakes.

1) The first thing to admit to is that Hondas rule here in the north. That means that your resale value will hold high. Popular Yamaha's are second - a close second in some cases.

2) Both these companies have many dealers all over Thailand, and those here in town have pretty good reputations. Warranty work is rarely needed for new bikes, but no hassle.

3) Size matters. For a number of us, bikes such as your rental bike seem cramped. Incidentally, the latest Honda Click-i 125 is big enough to qualify for the 'larger' types mentioned above.

4) The second hand place near the Smith Residence does have a huge selection. I did fairly well there, because when buying a second hand bike I figure to add 1/3 to 1/2 in fixing things.

5) Another place to buy (Saturdays !Today!) is a large sale area behind the Rimping store (next street in from 1001) on Maejo Rd. This has many sellers and help getting the paperwork done.

6) In general, second hand bikes can in better condition if they have had but one owner. Some prefer buying from other Westerners. In this connection, go to Thai Visa classified. In selling a well founded and popular second hand bike, one looses less too.

7) Virtually all new bikes are engineered (until we modify them) for good mileage. I doubt that fuel costs over a few years would make a difference in my thinking, compared to other factors. However, older generation bikes use only expensive benzine (no gasahol allowed) and this can add up.

In sum, given the money, if I were going to stay a good while, I'd go off to a Honda new dealer and see what fits. They save you the hassle of all the paper work, although you'll probably have to go to the Immigration service and acquire a letter of residence in any case. Not sure you should buy abruptly.

Edited by CMX

Chiangmai2012,

7) Virtually all new bikes are engineered (until we modify them) for good mileage. I doubt that fuel costs over a few years would make a difference in my thinking, compared to other factors. However, older generation bikes use only expensive benzine (no gasahol allowed) and this can add up.

Not sure about that..

We used to have an old Yamaha Mio which was quite happy to use Gasahol...now we have a new Yamaha Fino which can only use Benzine 91.

Also, the fuel consumption of the new Fino seems higher than the old Mio.

Chiangmai2012,

Not sure about that..

We used to have an old Yamaha Mio which was quite happy to use Gasahol...now we have a new Yamaha Fino which can only use Benzine 91.

I think you have mixed up the bikes, all new bikes (scooters) can use gasohol.

Edited by Semper

"I just bought a click 125i and its great around town. very quiet and no vibrations to give a sore bum but I would nt want to do long trips. Hence the 2nd larger bike cm to thaton in 2.5 hrs!!!!!!!!"

Why do you think the click is not adequate for long trips? Is it just the size that's a problem or something else? I'm thinking of buying a new click and will probably ride the Mae Hong Son loop with it, but I'm holding off because I'm not sure how it will do on longer rides. Speed is not an issue for me as long as the bike can climb the hills OK and is safe.

i have a honda wave it is a good little bike.i know many who have the fino and they also say the same the mileage is not that good

Yes, the 4 gear non-clutch manuals do better than the automatics when they're of the same generation. I dislike them in heavy traffic, however, because shifting (especially into 1st when almost stopped), while also braking and steering add complexity. Doubtless I drive too fast or have lost 'it' ~ rolleyes.gif

Also, I'm sure that old bikes can drink gasahol for a while. But if I buy a second hand bike that the manufacturer claimed (back then) should use only benzine, I may well, eventually, pay for problems from rotted fuel lines and other fuel-related issues.

Why do you think the click is not adequate for long trips? Is it just the size that's a problem or something else? I'm thinking of buying a new click and will probably ride the Mae Hong Son loop with it, but I'm holding off because I'm not sure how it will do on longer rides. Speed is not an issue for me as long as the bike can climb the hills OK and is safe.

Only one rear spring, gives inferior suspension, especially with us big guys.

Chiangmai2012,

Not sure about that..

I think you have mixed up the bikes, all new bikes (scooters) can use gasohol.

That's as maybe, but look at this previous thread:-

http://www.thaivisa....-fino-green-91/

LOL

Maybe if you want street cred with bar girls.....

Any decent thai girl will expect u to drive a car.

I bought a 135cc Yamaha Nuovo 2 yrs ago. It is lots of power for hauling 2 people. The only downside is the fuel consumption, which is significant compared to a 125. I'd definitely go for the automatic trannie. Very easy to drive. 2 things I don't like are the narrow tires and a disc brake only on the front. I'd prefer chunkier tires for the dirt roads and disc brakes front and rear. I've seen a few 150-160cc Honda scooters around.