Honda Vfr400Rr Nc30 Project Bike

It might be worth starting your own thread, as you're bound to get more help.

Have a look online for an owners club or specific forum, find the factory screw, float and jet settings then take these to whatever garage is recommended to you.

Please make sure the mechanic you use abides by the factory settings, some have a tendency to drill jets out, randomly screw the slow idle jet around adjust needles to what worked well on a different bike and bugger around with float heights.

If you're handy with a spanner and a screwdriver, might be worth giving it a go yourself after you find the stock values :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I apologize if this has been addressed in this thread already but I need a recommendation for a mechanic/ shop in Pattaya that can sync and tune the carburetors on my Yamaha Diversion 400 inline 4... It runs just a little rough up until 6000 rpms then all is well... I also have to keep the revs up coming off a dead stop to or it wants to bog down. If I had to guess I would say it is running rich... Two mechanics back the guy changed the jet or maybe jets... It just says jet on the receipt but this guy screwed it up so bad after taking it back several times I just gave up and hauled it to Bangkok where they got it running pretty good but not good enough. I am about ready to take it to the Road Machine Shop on 3rd road as it seems it is one of the better big bike shops in town after reading through many threads... I have had this motorbike for 5 years and it did run great before the change the jet mechanic got a hold of it.... Any recommendations or feedback welcomed...

I agree with Karlos, you are asking a question completely unrelated to my thread here.

Edited by floridaguy

Finished painting the rear sets in glossy black to match the frame and forks. Painted them on my balcony.

post-65746-0-50684900-1346407181_thumb.j

It is a good thing I am single for the moment, no bitchin about using the clothes rack for a temporary parts hanging rack! hit-the-fan.gif

post-65746-0-58703800-1346407145_thumb.j

Although I pissed myself off by not taping completely and got some over-spray on the rack, the tiles, and the wall. Oops. Now I have to scrub the whole dam_n balcony annoyed.gif

Edited by floridaguy

Looking very slealth indeed.

I hate to say it, but the paint is going to rub off those heel guards quicker than you can say "where the <deleted> did the black paint go?"

I'd love to have another NC30, but my girlfriend hates them, due to the money involved in maintaining a 20 year old bike, sometimes i wish i was single too :D

Well I can confirm that the speed restriction is gone. Also, before it would pull very slowly from 180 up to hitting the wall at 200, then the restriction would fully kick in and it would buck like a preacher's daughter. Now, it pulls hard all the way past 200, screaming up to red line. I hit 200 in 5th gear without realizing I still had another gear to go! I had to back off after that, so didn't hit top speed. Also, the speedo stops at 200, so I will have to use the GPS on my phone or Dynolicious to check top speed. OK, bad boy, no more of that! wai.gif

That's strange, i could swear that my NC30's speedo maxed out at 180kmh, are you sure your speedo is from a NC30??

200kmh with ease and with another gear to go seems very impressive indeed, mine would clear the 180kmh notch on the speedo but i haven't seen an NC30 with 200 on the tacho, unless it's had a new face/sticker laid on it?? smile.png

agreed, i had one for 7 years, 180 kph and one unmarked stop and you hit the limiter

Edited by tinfoilhat

I hate to say it, but the paint is going to rub off those heel guards quicker than you can say "where the <deleted> did the black paint go?"

I'd love to have another NC30, but my girlfriend hates them, due to the money involved in maintaining a 20 year old bike, sometimes i wish i was single too biggrin.png

i loved mine to death, and i was in xcellent nick, but it was always something. I had an nsr 250 rr and a vfr 400r and the last 3 or so years it was all i could do to keep one of em running, short of riding both daily. i fin ally gave up and sold the pair for 125k.

i still regret it

as you can see i much preferred the traditional look:

post-150703-0-56938400-1346668127_thumb.

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 2

I'd love to have another NC30, but my girlfriend hates them, due to the money involved in maintaining a 20 year old bike, sometimes i wish i was single too biggrin.png

i loved mine to death, and i was in xcellent nick, but it was always something. I had an nsr 250 rr and a vfr 400r and the last 3 or so years it was all i could do to keep one of em running, short of riding both daily. i fin ally gave up and sold the pair for 125k.

i still regret it

Corrr! What a beauty she was mate!

I hope the current owner is taking as much care of her as you did.....

Did you sell it to a Thai or another 'Farang'

i loved mine to death, and i was in excellent nick, but it was always something. I had an nsr 250 rr and a vfr 400r and the last 3 or so years it was all i could do to keep one of em running, short of riding both daily. i finally gave up and sold the pair for 125k.

i still regret it

Corrr! What a beauty she was mate!

I hope the current owner is taking as much care of her as you did.....

Did you sell it to a Thai or another 'Farang'

A Thai, she went to the man that maintained her. Khun Tu at Au Dindeang. he gave me what i paid when i bought them. the NSR was 55k, the VFR was 70. He waited years to take em back.

He was the only one who could do them both justice.

• Like 1

Well, I just got back from a nice little run to Angor Wat with the bike, and of course I had some small problems on the trip. So I just finished addressing them all today and she now screams!

Replaced the ignition switch and gas tank cap with new matching set - 700 baht for ignition, cap, 2 keys, extra key cylinder, and a helmet lock.

Replaced all 3 sets of brake pads, she stops on a dime now. What a difference. 750 baht

Changed oil and filter. Air filter is still new, so just blew it out. 1150 for synthetic oil and filter and labor.

Replaced all 4 spark plugs, as I had a bad one. 1200 baht from the UK, free labor

Throttle grip came loose. Reglued that. Free

She is now in perfect order and I don't anticipate much else to go wrong hopefully, as I have replaced or repaired practically everything on the bike now.

• Like 1

Well I can confirm that the speed restriction is gone. Also, before it would pull very slowly from 180 up to hitting the wall at 200, then the restriction would fully kick in and it would buck like a preacher's daughter. Now, it pulls hard all the way past 200, screaming up to red line. I hit 200 in 5th gear without realizing I still had another gear to go! I had to back off after that, so didn't hit top speed. Also, the speedo stops at 200, so I will have to use the GPS on my phone or Dynolicious to check top speed. OK, bad boy, no more of that! wai.gif

That's strange, i could swear that my NC30's speedo maxed out at 180kmh, are you sure your speedo is from a NC30??

200kmh with ease and with another gear to go seems very impressive indeed, mine would clear the 180kmh notch on the speedo but i haven't seen an NC30 with 200 on the tacho, unless it's had a new face/sticker laid on it?? smile.png

Well on the ride to Cambodia, I tested my speedo with both a GPS and an app on my phone, and the Honda speedo is off by about 10kph. So, when my speedo shows 120 kph, I am actually only doing 110. So this explains why it felt I still had extra speed to go in 5th. I still haven't had the opportunity to go top speed yet, but should be able to do it this week. I am curious as to the true top speed now that it is unrestricted.

If memory serves me right it should be 130mph, a smidge over 200km/h.

I've had my 2012 Ninja 650 maxed out on a few occasions 208km/h every time.

LOL, just did the conversion and 208km/h = 130mph, same same biggrin.png

Open up the airbox (pull the baffles) and get rid of that stock exhaust and you should be able to get her up to ~220 kph indicated without too much difficulty. (oh, and make sure your chain is properly adjusted!!) ;)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...