Thailand Needs Cricket

The ability to calcuate target run rates on the fly will help you judge the fuel needed to reach your destination economically, without carrying excess, and hours spent at the batting crease will give you the patience to drive economically yet briskly, when required

SC

If you buy a new car, SC, it will do all those calculations for you.

But a new car won't spot rain coming in one hour and automatically change tyres ......

or the pressurewink.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree! Being an Aussie I love my Cricket. We are moving to live in the rayong area next year I intend taking a bat and ball down to the beach

As one aussie to another:

May I be so bold as to ask how this blends in with the subject of the topic.

I need to know as I have been appointed coach of the cheer squad and

any imformation is greatly appreciated. smile.png

Edited by kevjohn

I agree! Being an Aussie I love my Cricket. We are moving to live in the rayong area next year I intend taking a bat and ball down to the beach

Maybe Aussie christene will shine your balls on the beach in Rayong...Thus getting automatically selected into the cheerleader squad....pending further selection of course...

It seems, we are in almost unanimous agreement about the potential benefits of spreading cricket around Thailand (except a couple of pessimists who I suspect made the mistake of joining the school tennis squad in first year and were forever trapped there and never experienced the joys of cricket).

So far in this thread, we have identified several practical benefits that cricket could engender on Thailand including: better driving and road safety awareness (including for pedestrians), an end to the "face" culture, better building / construction standards, a reduction in scam artists, and fairer police.

We are now past 150 posts and still nobody has identified any problems / imperfections that cannot be fixed by cricket. I am sure there must be one (or maybe a few) even if they are just the exception(s) that proves the rule.

It seems, we are in almost unanimous agreement about the potential benefits of spreading cricket around Thailand (except a couple of pessimists who I suspect made the mistake of joining the school tennis squad in first year and were forever trapped there and never experienced the joys of cricket).

So far in this thread, we have identified several practical benefits that cricket could engender on Thailand including: better driving and road safety awareness (including for pedestrians), an end to the "face" culture, better building / construction standards, a reduction in scam artists, and fairer police.

We are now past 150 posts and still nobody has identified any problems / imperfections that cannot be fixed by cricket. I am sure there must be one (or maybe a few) even if they are just the exception(s) that proves the rule.

INDEED SIR!

May I recommend that Yingluk employs a team of batsmen to travel the country gentle tapping down any slight bumps there may be in the roads....

Maybe Aussie christene will shine your balls on the beach in Rayong...Thus getting automatically selected into the cheerleader squad....pending further selection of course...

Blimy Charlie. This is starting to get involved, all though, I must admit that if they all do that, then it does narrow down the selection.thumbsup.gif

INDEED SIR!

May I recommend that Yingluk employs a team of batsmen to travel the country gentle tapping down any slight bumps there may be in the roads....

You might certainly be on to something there. brit1984 could possibly look into this.smile.png

Its actually Aussie Christopher and for those who are not familar with Beach Cricket it involves a bat a ball a BBQ and plenty of beer. By the end of the game all players are drunk and every problem solved, great way to spend a day

Can anyone think of any other issues in Thailand that need to be fixed?

If Bkk had enough Cricket grounds the sight screens could be moved to the Northern perimeter and used to divert the floods!!

Thanks, flooding is another good example...

An appreciation of cricket (especially in its longer 5 day format) will certainly encourage a more long-term outlook among the Thai people; it is likely that this will give rise to greater investment in proper flood barriers (sight screens should remain where they belong)

As I mentioned in the introduction, cricket also promotes greater strategic thinking (key to dealing with the myriad of challenges caused by the flooding); it is easy to draw parallels with a cricket captain's decisions on where to place his field to minimise the damage that can be done by the ball leaking through the gaps

INDEED SIR!

Some of your earlier deliveries were a little obvious, your second spell with the new ball has proven much more engaging.

I feel sadly that more then one has gone through to the keeper

Its actually Aussie Christopher and for those who are not familar with Beach Cricket it involves a bat a ball a BBQ and plenty of beer. By the end of the game all players are drunk and every problem solved, great way to spend a day

Tiz a game I played often in my yoof on Bournemouth beach ( back in the glorious summers of the 60s and 70s)..Not possible nowadays I am told...too many topless sunbathers...bloody inconsiderate if you ask me...How can you try a sneaky nibblet in those conditions....

If Bkk had enough Cricket grounds the sight screens could be moved to the Northern perimeter and used to divert the floods!!

An appreciation of cricket (especially in its longer 5 day format) will certainly encourage a more long-term outlook among the Thai people; it is likely that this will give rise to greater investment in proper flood barriers (sight screens should remain where they belong)

As I mentioned in the introduction, cricket also promotes greater strategic thinking (key to dealing with the myriad of challenges caused by the flooding); it is easy to draw parallels with a cricket captain's decisions on where to place his field to minimise the damage that can be done by the ball leaking through the gaps

Mate lossen up! I love test Cricket, ill watch the five days of a test from start to finish. You are correct it does promote stategic thinking but most people who havent grown up with cricket dont really care.

Blimy Charlie. This is starting to get involved, all though, I must admit that if they all do that, then it does narrow down the selection.thumbsup.gif

But you, kevjohn were selected because you could make decisions under pressure.

With the introduction of Aussiechris and his love for beach cricket ... we have to have options for all situations.

post-104736-0-44092400-1336809265_thumb.

kevjohn, as their manager, do you suggest that we have 2 separate Cheer Leading squads or a lager single one so that routines can be co-ordinated?

Edited by David48

At the risk of sounding outstandingly boring did you know that!!!..........there is an excellent amatuer cricket 7's tournament held every year in Chiang Mai?.

Very well attended, loads of international teams, and therefore I shall now suggest that next year we should enter a Thaivisa team!!! thumbsup.gif

It's actually 6's held annually around song kran time.....but a ThaiVisa team perhaps 7 would be the ticket!!!

INDEED SIR!

You might certainly be on to something there. brit1984 could possibly look into this.smile.png

Indeed, those bumpy roads would clearly not be tolerated if the workers (and their supervisors) who are supposed to maintain them had ever experienced the horrors of batting on a bumpy wicket; all such highway maintenance operatives should do a one-year secondment to assist cricket groundsmen on maintaining a pristine square and smooth outfield

INDEED SIR!

Some of your earlier deliveries were a little obvious, your second spell with the new ball has proven much more engaging.

Am I glad to see you back. Thought I was going to have to handle the lot on my own,

Captain

Vice Captajn

Drink boy

and what ever else

including ... and I must stress this.........COACH of the CHEER SQUAD rolleyes.gif

Edited by kevjohn

With the introduction of Aussiechris and his love for beach cricket ... we have to have options for all situations.

kevjohn, as their manager, do you suggest that we have 2 separate Cheer Leading squads or a lager single one so that routines can be co-ordinated?

Additionally ... post-104736-0-00509600-1336809544_thumb.

kevjohn, as their manager, do you suggest that we have 2 separate Cheer Leading squads or a lager single one [sC: My bold underline] so that routines can be co-ordinated?

I'm not sure I understand all this cricketing terminology. Do you mean "should we have 2 separate Cheerleading squads or a lager and a single so that routines can be co-ordinated"? Why don't we have two cheerleeding squads, half a dozen lagers, a few nips on the bus and forget about co-ordination?

SC

INDEED SIR!

Am I glad to see you back. Thought I was going to have to handle the lot on my own,

Captain

Vice Captajn

Drink boy

and what ever else

including ... and I must stress this.........COACH of the CHEER SQUAD rolleyes.gif

I'll drive the coach for the cheer squad

EDIT: SO long as you boys can flatten out the bumps.

No, in the road...

Edited by StreetCowboy

May I suggest that we have one large squad so that they may be rotated between field and beer tent.....and what is it with the Aussie obsession with bloody lager..??

Mate lossen up! I love test Cricket, ill watch the five days of a test from start to finish. You are correct it does promote stategic thinking but most people who havent grown up with cricket dont really care.

That is exactly my point good sir; many problems in Thai society can be explained by the people not having grown up with cricket

I have said in this thread that cricket should be introduced to the school curriculum in Thailand and the positive effects may take generations to be fully realised

By the way, I also mentioned your beautiful home country as a success story that demonstrates the benefits of participation in cricket

Captain

Vice Captajn

Drink boy

and what ever else

No ... focus at the task at hand and do not take the responsibilities of others ... COACH (and Manager) of the CHEER SQUAD ... I believe that you will have your hands full with them.

Now ... additional personal identified ... do you need more?

I'll drive the coach for the cheer squad

EDIT: SO long as you boys can flatten out the bumps.

No, in the road...

Ummm, are you referring to the LadyBoys have made the First XI ?

EDIT:- Yes SC, I was referring to a 'larger' not lager ... a combonitation of fat fingers and maybe to many lagers!

Edited by David48

May I get involved in the Leer squad. I can provide references....mainly from Strangeways....but what is better than a Government letter of recommendation..??

re post #167

I was wondering that too.

I was thinking of using the girls from your photo as one squad and the girls from the other photo,

can't remember who posted it, as a back up squad.

What might your thoughts be on that idear.

Don't worry, what ever you say won't offend me.

I have very thick skin.thumbsup.gif

May I get involved in the Leer squad. I can provide references....mainly from Strangeways....but what is better than a Government letter of recommendation..??

Request denied ... the "Leer squad" squad should be firmly focused on the activities of the Cricket match ... the Cheer Squad is purely for the lunch time entertainment.

Please refrain from lowering the tone of an important discussion about the potential future of Thailand’s sporting heritage.