Thailand Needs Cricket

Although, I have come to love Thailand and the Thai people dearly during my first few months of living here, it has come to my attention that the country, and its people, are not without imperfections. This realisation has come about through a combination of observation of reality and by reading this forum.

Many of these problems could be solved by widespread participation in, and appreciation of, cricket. For those of you who do not know what cricket is, I can only express my deepest sympathies.

Some obvious examples of improvements that could be engendered by a government, or possible NGO, led programme to spread cricket around the kingdom, are as follows:

• Increased levels of strategic thinking
  • Physical and mental endurance and stamina, including better concentration
  • Improved English language skills
  • Willingness to work hard, over an extended period of time, to achieve objectives
  • Flexibility to accept losses or set-backs with dignity
  • Greater awareness of health and safety issues

The relevance of many of these points to real-life issues faced by Thailand today should be obvious to anyone who lives here, visits regularly or reads the TV forum.

Please discuss

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definitions of cricket

Chess, minus the intelligence

Even makes watching football look (mildly) interesting

"The English, not being a spiritual race, need cricket to give them some concept of eternity"

Cricket-"Eleven fools are playing with eleven thousand fools are watching" - George Bernard Shaw.

Hmmmm..Wonder what a Thai batsmen would do when the Wickie whispers quietly that he fcuked his wife the night before.........

I don't think they could cope with sledging.

Cricket doesn't do well in countries that have a "face" culture.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Hmmmm..Wonder what a Thai batsmen would do when the Wickie whispers quietly that he fcuked his wife the night before.........

I don't think they could cope with sledging.

Cricket doesn't do well in countries that have a "face" culture.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I see cricket as a solution to such cultural imperfections

Thailand needs some sporting heroes that are actually Thai. Remember when Paradorn was playing at the top level? Tennis was going gangbusters here and I can recall times in bars downtown where everything would stop to see a Paradorn match on TV.

Cricket in Thailand: perfect climate, huge 2nd/3rd generation Thai population from the subcontinent AND the chance of actually competing at a global level, something that football here will never achieve.

How great would it be for a Thailand team to compete in a World Cup?! Cricket is one of the sports where they actually could achieve that with a big enough piggy bank to develop the sport

At the risk of sounding outstandingly boring did you know that!!!..........there is an excellent amatuer cricket 7's tournament held every year in Chiang Mai?.

Very well attended, loads of international teams, and therefore I shall now suggest that next year we should enter a Thaivisa team!!! thumbsup.gif

Not being a fan of the game of cricket, I can understand these comments, but everyone to their own likes and dislikes.

As for cricket solving the problems of Thailand, I just do not know.whistling.gif

Definitions of cricket

Chess, minus the intelligence

Even makes watching football look (mildly) interesting

"The English, not being a spiritual race, need cricket to give them some concept of eternity"

Cricket-"Eleven fools are playing with eleven thousand fools are watching" - George Bernard Shaw.

May I recommend the Oxford dictionary for definitions

I nominate theblether as the captain of the TV team. thumbsup.gif

I am sure one of the mods would like to keep score

An I'll nominate you as vice captain. OK wink.png

Thanks kevjohn, you can be 12th man

You obviously don't rate poor kevjohn very highly then. It's a 7s tournament.

I am sure one of the mods would like to keep score

An I'll nominate you as vice captain. OK wink.png

Thanks kevjohn, you can be 12th man

Will 12th man have to play?

If so, maybe you could make me 13th man and that way I can just sit in the stands clapping and watching. clap2.gif

Edited by kevjohn

Will the 12th man have to play?

If so, maybe you could make me 13th man and that way I can just sit in the stands clapping and watching. clap2.gif

I confirm you can be a spectator / cheerleader

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Then again

At the risk of sounding outstandingly boring did you know that!!!..........there is an excellent amatuer cricket 7's tournament held every year in Chiang Mai?.

Very well attended, loads of international teams, and therefore I shall now suggest that next year we should enter a Thaivisa team!!! thumbsup.gif

Then again I could see multifarious problems in trying to assemble said team, we will have particular problems if we select teams based upon the sub forums the members frequent, for example........

Buddhist forum...........would refuse to allow any opposition to be declared out in case it affected their karma for the next life.

Phuket forum.............would be unable to travel due to bitter negotiations with tuk-tuk drivers

Isaan Forum..............their wives would not let them out of the house

Pattaya Forum..........would be quarantined in the local STD clinic

Gay Forum...............would be arrested for fighting among themselves about which colour of shirt matched the trousers best.

Bangkok Forum.......would be distracted by the sight of trees and grass, and meeting Thai people who are nice and actually smile a lot.

UK Pensioners thread.......full of best intenetion, they would have to take a toilet break every 5 minutes, goddam prostrate.

Islands forums...........could only attend for the two days every month they are lucid after the last full moon party

Farming Forum.........would go into a strop about prime arable land being used for recreation

Motoring Forum........would fall out with each other about the correct density and composition of the ball

Business Forum.......would fall out as to the correct level of tea money to give to the umpires

etc etc.......no doubt you would have your comments as to the other forums participation.

That would leave the ladies forum as the only viable contenders, and I would be good with that because some of our ladies have got some, ahem, form.

Our US members would be horrified at how we have corrupted the game of baseball, and the Scottish contingent would retire to the bar, any excuse for a p*ss up. Anyone that feels left out can be anointed as being Scottish for the day and just get blootered with the rest of us. drunk.gifburp.gif

Sounds like a plan to me.

Just to give people a flavour of what I was talking about in the introduction to this thread... I have noticed many examples of a lack of concentration shown by drivers on the roads of Thailand... cricket could fix this

Hahahahaha.

Cricket?

Physical and mental endurance and stamina, including better concentration ??

Willingness to work hard, over an extended period of time, to achieve objectives ??

^^^ In cricket?

They stand around half the time doing nothing or one swinging a piece of wood at a ball ( A bit like Rounders the Americans play - sorry!! World Baseball LOL).

Good joke topic though clap2.gif

Are you sure we should have a Scot captaining the team.

My only experience of Scottish cricket was when I had tickets for the ICC world cup game in Leicester for Scotland v West Indies with Brian Lara as captain. We were all set for a decent day of exhibition cricket, despite having all our beer confiscated on the way in, but unfortunately, having won the toss, Scotland decided to bat.

It was all over pretty quickly though the WI did get some pretty impressive bowling figures in - unfortunately I missed most of the match queuing at the bar for the one round we managed to get in before it all was over.

Just to give people a flavour of what I was talking about in the introduction to this thread... I have noticed many examples of a lack of concentration shown by drivers on the roads of Thailand... cricket could fix this

What. Thais playing cricket whilst driving. I don't believe

Or make it worse...hours of boredom fielding in the deep...drifting off into a long daydream.