The Colors Of Thailand

MediumPaceBowler

My exotic pan-Asian girlfriend has a top job at the Ministry of Transport here in the metropolis. And every day she wears a different color to work.

She really does look quite lovely!!!

Here are the colors:

Monday -- yellow

Tuesday -- pink (or should that be orange?)

Wednesday -- orange (or should that be pink?)

Thursday -- green

Friday -- blue

Saturday -- purple

Sunday -- red

Why do Government Employees wear a different color for each day of the week?

And here's a quick quiz. Your mission -- if you choose to accept it -- is to answer the questions below:

1. which bank's ATM is dark blue?

2. which bank's ATM is yellow?

3. which bank's ATM is green?

4. which bank's ATM is sky blue?

QUESTION

Why do Thais play these "games" with colors? After having been here in the Realm for more than a decade, I've never been given a satisfactory answer to this question.

POSTING GUIDELINES

No inflammatory troll posts. No off-topic bickering. No jealous creeps. No stalking weirdos.

In Thai tradition, there is an astrological rule (which has influence from Hindu mythology) that assigns color for each day of the week. The color is assigned based on the color of the God who protects the day or Navagraha. For example, the God of Sunday is Surya which has red color. These colors of the day are the traditional Thai birthday colors. For example, King Bhumibol was born on Monday, so on his birthday throughout Thailand will be decorated with yellow color. Day Color of the day Planet God of the day Sunday red Sun Surya Monday yellow Moon Chandra Tuesday pink Mars Mangala Wednesday green Mercury Budha Thursday orange Jupiter Brihaspati Friday light blue Venus Shukra Saturday purple Saturn

Shani

Hope this helps.

dark blue - TMB/ Bangkok Bank (blue with orange)

yellow = Bank of Ayudhya

green - Kasikorn Bank

sky blue - TMB

purple - Siam Commercial Bank's

pink - Government savings Bank

So thats your questions answered. next............ wai.gif

Edited by thequietman
  • Like 1

In Thai tradition, there is an astrological rule (which has influence from Hindu mythology) that assigns color for each day of the week. The color is assigned based on the color of the God who protects the day or Navagraha. For example, the God of Sunday is Surya which has red color. These colors of the day are the traditional Thai birthday colors. For example, King Bhumibol was born on Monday, so on his birthday throughout Thailand will be decorated with yellow color. Day Color of the day Planet God of the day Sunday red Sun Surya Monday yellow Moon Chandra Tuesday pink Mars Mangala Wednesday green Mercury Budha Thursday orange Jupiter Brihaspati Friday light blue Venus Shukra Saturday purple Saturn

Shani

Hope this helps.

yellow = Bank of Ayudhya

green - Kasikorn Bank

sky blue - TMB

Bravo! Thanks very much.

I never thought to Google this as I'd always assumed there was no real logic to the way colors are assigned.

Next ...

My exotic pan-Asian girlfriend drives an acid-yellow BMW. She's upper class, so she can basically do what she wants.

But most Thais drive a car that's:

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Where I come from (London), people drive reds and blues and greens. But you seldom see these colors here in Thailand.

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Many cars have had racing history and used a color for their racers, such as silver for Benz, red for Ferrari, etc, hence the colors you see in Europe. Here, though, for some reason cars with metallic paint covered by a layer of lacquer are popular and in same cases one actually has to pay extra $$ for a simple color. Might have something to do with the sun being so hot that pure colors fade quickly.

Edited by DrTuner

Where I come from (London), people drive reds and blues and greens. But you seldom see these colors here in Thailand.

I take it you come from London Canada as I'm come from London UK and we spell it 'colours'.

biggrin.png

My exotic pan-Asian girlfriend drives an acid-yellow BMW. She's upper class, so she can basically do what she wants.

She makes you wear the skirt as well?

Since you need to advertise about her quite a few times?

;-)

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Many cars have had racing history and used a color for their racers, such as silver for Benz, red for Ferrari, etc, hence the colors you see in Europe. Here, though, for some reason cars with metallic paint covered by a layer of lacquer are popular and in same cases one actually has to pay extra $$ for a simple color. Might have something to do with the sun being so hot that pure colors fade quickly.

yes isn't british racing green meant to unlucky

Shani

Hope this helps.

yellow = Bank of Ayudhya

green - Kasikorn Bank

sky blue - TMB

Bravo! Thanks very much.

I never thought to Google this as I'd always assumed there was no real logic to the way colors are assigned.

Next ...

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

i believe the colour is associated with luck, some time ago the wife says i want to change car this colour not lucky for me

Shani

Hope this helps.

yellow = Bank of Ayudhya

green - Kasikorn Bank

sky blue - TMB

Bravo! Thanks very much.

Next ...

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

i believe the colour is associated with luck, some time ago the wife says i want to change car this colour not lucky for me

Next .....................

Describe:

1. a red curry

2. a green curry

3. a yellow curry

4. an orange curry

I need details; recipes; and possibly even the Thai name.

Gentlemen, good luck!

Shani

Hope this helps.

yellow = Bank of Ayudhya

green - Kasikorn Bank

sky blue - TMB

Bravo! Thanks very much.

Next ...

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Describe:

1. a red curry

2. a green curry

3. a yellow curry

4. an orange curry

Gentlemen, good luck!

Don't know the recipes, but you've got;

geng panang

geng keeow wan

geng garee

and geng som

Describe:

1. a red curry

2. a green curry

3. a yellow curry

4. an orange curry

Gentlemen, good luck!

geng panang

geng keeow wan

geng garee

and geng som

Very good!

Next .................

Why the yellow shirts? And why the red shirts?

They wear different colors because the King is in fashion biz,

so he make a stock of pink clothes, and then dictate that everyone working for government

has to wear pink.

Anyway don't you think you're too fixated with this shit ?

My exotic anglo-australian bf wakes up in the morning and goes to sleep at night. Its really so incredibly exciting i can hardly contain myself telling you all! !!

• Like 1

Describe:

1. a red curry

2. a green curry

3. a yellow curry

4. an orange curry

Gentlemen, good luck!

geng panang

geng keeow wan

geng garee

and geng som

Very good!

Next .................

The PAD dress in yellow, the royal color, and claim that they are defending the King and the monarchy against the alleged disloyalty of Thaksin.

Red shirts because it is a different colour., although In some cultures, certain shades of red are used to symbolize anger or aggression. It is the color of blood when it is exposed to sunlight, and it is most commonly referred to as a color of evil, love, and sometimes, though rarely, happiness. Red is used as a symbol of guilt, sin, passion, and anger, often as connected with blood or sex.In Roman Catholicism, red represents wrath.

Although I suspect they chose red because Red is used as a symbol of courage and sacrifice, as in blood spilt in sacrifice, or courage in the face of lethal danger.

next...............wai.gif

Edited by thequietman

They wear different colors because the King is in fashion biz,

so he make a stock of pink clothes, and then dictate that everyone working for government

has to wear pink.

Anyway don't you think you're too fixated with this shit ?

My exotic anglo-australian bf wakes up in the morning and goes to sleep at night. Its really so incredibly exciting i can hardly contain myself telling you all! !!

bit un-called for

I take it you come from London Canada as I'm come from London UK and we spell it 'colours'.

True Canadians spell it colour. It is a subtle way of differentiating that they are not American. However, many spellcheck programs if defaulted to American English will use "color". Rest assured that the Thames river in London ON would make a UK Londoner feel right at home as it is polluted too and they kids can put on a riot that is of London UK standards.. smile.png

As for colours, I get lambasted for wearing black. Many of my colleagues wear white, but I point out that white shows dirt and splatters. I take my cue for a man I miss very much, Johnny Cash;

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,

Why you never see bright colors on my back,

And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.

Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,

Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,

I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,

But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,

Or listened to the words that Jesus said,

About the road to happiness through love and charity,

Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,

In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,

But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,

Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,

For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,

I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,

Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,

Believen' that the Lord was on their side,

I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,

Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,

And things need changin' everywhere you go,

But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,

You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,

And tell the world that everything's OK,

But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,

'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

• Like 2

Rare breed. For many it's exactly the opposite.

I haven't thought about it, but are there some colors that Thais never wear ? Something like I remember my exotic-ex-hiso-italian-german-tunisian-eskimo-girlfriend saying about purple and males in Italy (I think it meant you're gay).

The PAD dress in yellow, the royal color, and claim that they are defending the King and the monarchy against the alleged disloyalty of Thaksin.

Red shirts because it is a different colour., although In some cultures, certain shades of red are used to symbolize anger or aggression. It is the color of blood when it is exposed to sunlight, and it is most commonly referred to as a color of evil, love, and sometimes, though rarely, happiness. Red is used as a symbol of guilt, sin, passion, and anger, often as connected with blood or sex.In Roman Catholicism, red represents wrath.

Although I suspect they chose red because Red is used as a symbol of courage and sacrifice, as in blood spilt in sacrifice, or courage in the face of lethal danger.

next...............wai.gif

Not sure if I agree with your comments about RED.

Why is YELLOW the Royal color? The answer is very simple!

My next question ............ is coming soon.

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

White is the coolest.

Gold and Silver are for status, and metallic is cooler.

Anything dark is too hot.

I'll go with that.

But why are gold and silver "for status"? I'm sure you're right, but why do these two colors predominate?