Is Running A Billboard Printing Business Profitable Here In Thailand ?

look for 2nd hand machinery is some good advice; print companies often go bust, if you can buy equipment as a going concern, can save you cash and you have an immediate client base also, at a lower cost.

Good idea. Thanks smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

service history, amount of usage, reputable supplier to service, not damaged by flood, general assessment of previous owner; run some tests and see if it is producing the quality you require.

Specs of printing will depend entirely on the client base you are targeting.

I have had 3 companies make me vinyl inkjet banners in Bangkok

First was a Chinese Thai lady that had the printer in her "office" I think she lived in the back of the shop.....used her for 2 years , good service and on time , but then i went past the shop and she was gone....

2nd guy was on Soi 71 , no printer on site , he would do all the artwork / set-up and then take it to another shop somewhere......but once i needed signs quick and he could not do them because his printer was on vacation,

So I went to the 3rd shop I use today , they have lots of machines , seem to stay busy , the computer guy speaks some English and they are on time,

price seems to be about 400 baht a sqaure meter and that included doubling up the edges and putting eyelets in , all the places are pretty close in price ,

Not sure if I am paying way too much or not , if you have a shop and can do it better send me a PM

As far as a business , I am not sure how much money you can make yourself unless you can get outside sales people to in bring orders ,

You will need a very good computer guy who can talk to people and sell them on extras.

BK

and I think most of these printers are leased not bought

First was a Chinese Thai lady that had the printer in her "office" I think she lived in the back of the shop.....used her for 2 years , good service and on time , but then i went past the shop and she was gone....

2nd guy was on Soi 71 , no printer on site , he would do all the artwork / set-up and then take it to another shop somewhere......but once i needed signs quick and he could not do them because his printer was on vacation,

So I went to the 3rd shop I use today , they have lots of machines , seem to stay busy , the computer guy speaks some English and they are on time,

price seems to be about 400 baht a sqaure meter and that included doubling up the edges and putting eyelets in , all the places are pretty close in price ,

Not sure if I am paying way too much or not , if you have a shop and can do it better send me a PM

As far as a business , I am not sure how much money you can make yourself unless you can get outside sales people to in bring orders ,

You will need a very good computer guy who can talk to people and sell them on extras.

BK

Bkkdreaming,

Jesus christ....400 baht per m square ????? I could print at that price u mentioned with the double edge & eyelet done. And could still afford to add on 1 large bottle of heineken for you for every m square u ordered free.

You better pm me your contacts bkkdreaming. I want your business !!!!!

What is the difference between a China printer & a Japanese printer say a Roland ? Arent they different only in the body chasis ? The print head are about the same brands. Can someone enlightenment me on this?

How many staff should i recruit at the minimum at the beginning?

My only main concern now is that i learned that print wholesalers/agents/authorised distributors here in Thailand who have acess to machines, vinyl materials. inks etc at very low special agent price from their respective manufacturer, had been setting up 'shops' here all over the nation that do not trace back to them but reap their profits from behind.

How could a honest end user possibly fight and compete in such a scale? Is this right and ethical ? Is there a channel or authority to report such business acivity or there is none?

Anyone with the knowledge care to shine some insight on this?

Do advice.

You should report this to the Thailand Department for Development and Maintenance of Trading Standards.

My only main concern now is that i learned that print wholesalers/agents/authorised distributors here in Thailand who have acess to machines, vinyl materials. inks etc at very low special agent price from their respective manufacturer, had been setting up 'shops' here all over the nation that do not trace back to them but reap their profits from behind.

How could a honest end user possibly fight and compete in such a scale? Is this right and ethical ? Is there a channel or authority to report such business acivity or there is none?

Anyone with the knowledge care to shine some insight on this?

Do advice.

You should report this to the Thailand Department for Development and Maintenance of Trading Standards.

Ah...Finally an answer. Thank you Yoshiwara ! That is very useful piece of lead info
  • Like 2

What is the difference between a China printer & a Japanese printer say a Roland ? Arent they different only in the body chasis ? The print head are about the same brands. Can someone enlightenment me on this?

Can anyone with experience care to shine some light on this ? Whats the answer ?

Can anyone with experience care to shine some light on this ? Whats the answer ?

Japanese products will be higher quality.

Number of staff depends on your business plan. Take your business plan to the bank and ask if they have an SME unit that can work through your business plan. If they discover that you know very little or even less then the meeting will be short.

The first question is what is the amount you have available to invest.

What is your potential fire power. Only then can someone advise how much you should invest.

Empty pocket, empty head, empty ideas is a common Thailand plan.

Japanese products will be higher quality.

Number of staff depends on your business plan. Take your business plan to the bank and ask if they have an SME unit that can work through your business plan. If they discover that you know very little or even less then the meeting will be short.

The first question is what is the amount you have available to invest.

What is your potential fire power. Only then can someone advise how much you should invest.

Empty pocket, empty head, empty ideas is a common Thailand plan.

Very true. I totally agree with you. To be very frank. And i say it very openly here I could only put in a maximum total of 2 million baht for this little small business. I will be using Chinese printers for the moment. I will be upgrading to Japanese machines or perhaps western brands at the later stages if there is a need. After a year or so of income flowing in & out. Will be trying my luck with the banks for finance to expand the business.

• 2 weeks later...

BK

Bkkdreaming,

Jesus christ....400 baht per m square ????? I could print at that price u mentioned with the double edge & eyelet done. And could still afford to add on 1 large bottle of heineken for you for every m square u ordered free.

well I ordered another 3000 baht of signs today, really a re-order with some changes and a couple extras ,

these are 10 foot long and 1 foot tall signs , 9 of those and a couple other ones , 3000 baht all in and they do the artwork ( its mostly type)

Real cheap compared to doing them at Home in California,

This shop seems busy whenever I go in , not sure how much money the place makes as its pretty big and on a main street.

It just seems like a lot of investment capitol for not that much payback, and once you start looking there are so many shops around town doing sign printing.....

Good luck , I hope you can find a niche and make some Baht\

BK

BK

Bkkdreaming,

well I ordered another 3000 baht of signs today, really a re-order with some changes and a couple extras ,

these are 10 foot long and 1 foot tall signs , 9 of those and a couple other ones , 3000 baht all in and they do the artwork ( its mostly type)

Real cheap compared to doing them at Home in California,

This shop seems busy whenever I go in , not sure how much money the place makes as its pretty big and on a main street.

It just seems like a lot of investment capitol for not that much payback, and once you start looking there are so many shops around town doing sign printing.....

Good luck , I hope you can find a niche and make some Baht\

BK

Yeah its alot of capital invested for little payback. I agree. And worse of it. there is alot of pple doing it. Thanks for your well wishes

• 1 year later...

I am trying to figure out how much sales can 1 printer bring in a maxed out capacity month...I did not ask 'can i expect a million in sales? ...........

From what i know. A printer print out banners at 20-40 per metre square in an hour. I dunt see there any way that it can hit a million baht in sales per month. Hence my question. Would need at least 2-3 printers to hit that target.

Alittle about me. Yes i do not have experiences in this industry or the know hows...The only thing that i have is the huge contacts in various sectors over the nation that WILL send me business every month. I have talked to all of them. And they have all confirmed.

Still i need to know more about this trade on whatever i can. As there is no written book on the market for sale. Although i have friends in this trade and i could learn a thing or two from them. They are not going to share with me all their secrets are't they ?

Peace

Here's an idea: buy a 50% share in whichever of your friends' printing business is most worthy, then connect your contacts to you and your friend's business. That should save you from starting up a business you don't know how to run.