Orient Thai

h90

And not to forget they serve food on an 1 hour flight, that is also very important.

If you can't go a whole hour without eating, I think it's safe to say you're well and truly 'acculturated.'

h90 is an Austrian

Can't Austrians become acculturated then? Sorry, I didn't realise......goof.gif

Usually Austrians can't stay 1 hour without beer or wine.......

There is an Orient Thai 747 that is being dismantled in Bangkok. It is in a field just off Ramkamhang around soi 40 or 50 I think.. Near the Honda motorcycle training track. Looks like the dismantling has sort of petered out over the past year. Not much progress since then

It might be being used for parts. Many airlines use retired aircraft this way, just not so publicly. (and they store them in a drier climate)

"Orient Thai owned ONE Boeing 747 that was blacklisted from International airspace (I think that its still at Ranong airport)"

In May, 2002 I flew from Taipei to HK on a tired looking China Airways 747-200. Three days later, the same aircraft disintegrated at 29k feet, 20 minutes after taking off from Taipei. Though still being flown by China Airways, both that and one other 200 series had been sold to Orient Thai.

The surviving 200 sat on the tarmac at Don Muang, painted white and unmarked for many years. I always wondered what happened to it.

You couldn't get me onto a 747-200 for any amount of money; I've used my luck up on those antiques.

The aircraft you are talking about had scraped its tale on landing when it was nearly new. It had been incorrectly repaired (the doubler plate was the wrong size and had the wrong number of rivets if my memory serves my right). It was always a ticking time bomb. It was not a inherent fault of the 747-200 that made it crash.

Didn't one in Japan have the same problem or have you confused the 2?

If you're talking about the one in Japan that crashed near mount Fuji, causing the largest single loss of life in a single crash by one plane, I think that lost part of its tail rudder.

There may have been others. BTW, i'm not an expert on this, i've just watched alot of Air Crash Investigation on Discoverysmile.png .

The one in Japan lost the entire vertical stabilizer. It was blown off by the air escaping from a bad repair on the pressure bulkhead.

"Orient Thai owned ONE Boeing 747 that was blacklisted from International airspace (I think that its still at Ranong airport)"

In May, 2002 I flew from Taipei to HK on a tired looking China Airways 747-200. Three days later, the same aircraft disintegrated at 29k feet, 20 minutes after taking off from Taipei. Though still being flown by China Airways, both that and one other 200 series had been sold to Orient Thai.

The surviving 200 sat on the tarmac at Don Muang, painted white and unmarked for many years. I always wondered what happened to it.

You couldn't get me onto a 747-200 for any amount of money; I've used my luck up on those antiques.

The aircraft you are talking about had scraped its tale on landing when it was nearly new. It had been incorrectly repaired (the doubler plate was the wrong size and had the wrong number of rivets if my memory serves my right). It was always a ticking time bomb. It was not a inherent fault of the 747-200 that made it crash.

You are correct. Both air disasters were caused by the same type of failure.

In response to the OP's original query, I'd say not for sometime as the below article indicates OR until the AOT provides Orient with greater financial incentives (which could be soon). Obviously, since then the MOT has adopted a 2 airport policy and needs operators to move to DMK.

TNN 05/03/12

Orient Thai Airlines says it has opted not to relocate its base back to Don Mueang because of uncertain state policy over the role of Bangkok's old airport. Airline founder Udom Tantiprasongchai said the carrier would rather continue to run flights through Suvarnabhumi airport, where many airlines find the worsening crowding almost intolerable. "We can still bear congestion problems at Suvarnabhumi instead of shifting back and forth between Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi," the airline veteran told the Bangkok Post.

He said his airline has shifted its base between the two airports three times during the five years since Suvarnabhumi opened, and he does not want to endure another change resulting from inconsistent state policy on the use of Don Mueang in the long term. Other issues include relocation costs for Orient Thai and confusion among passengers, Mr Udom added. His comments came on the eve of the reopening of Don Mueang for commercial service tomorrow after it was shuttered by Thailand's worst flooding in half a century last October. The floods forced budget airlines Nok Air and Orient Thai, the two main airlines that operated scheduled flights through Don Mueang, to shift to Suvarnabhumi.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) has tried in vain to woo Orient Thai back to Don Mueang, where only one scheduled airline, Nok Air, will operate, in addition to sporadic international charter flights and a smattering of private jet traffic. Thai authorities seem to be sending confusing signals on the post-flood role of Don Mueang airport.

Weren't Orient Thai blacklisted a few years ago?

Plenty of ways to live dangerously in LoS without boarding one of their planes.

yes but meanwhile they changed the name and painted the airplanes new.

Their airplanes are a bit old (OK, they are very old, but they are painted new), but else they are more friendly and professional than NOK (at least the flights to NST were). I like them.

I fly before Berjaya Air in Malaysia......nothing can be worse.....

Orient Thai owned ONE Boeing 747 that was blacklisted from International airspace (I think that its still at Ranong airport). However One-Two-Go, of whom Orient is the parent Company, operated internal flights as One-two -Go until the Phuket accident a few years ago. They have now dropped the One-Two-Go title in favour of using the parent Company's name!

There is an Orient Thai 747 that is being dismantled in Bangkok.

Reportedly, Orient have 5 decommissioned 747s parked at different airports. I've seen 1 at Chiang Rai, 1 at DMK and 1 at BKK in the last 2-3 years. Whether or not they are still around, or moved to other regional airports with cheaper parking fees, I am not sure?

Then there are the infamous 2, 747s parked at Phitsanuluk Airport which have been stripped of their engines which were subsequently sold. The sale of the engines is currently being investigated for alleged tax evasion.

242456.jpg

242455.jpg

Edited by Lakegeneve

There is order for 12 new planes, delivery 2013-14

http://en.wikipedia....Superjet_100-95

That's very reassuring shock1.gif

http://www.businessw...sia-demo-flight

Mmmm, I recollect reading that the deal fell through and they went for some Boeings instead, so don't be so sure. One of the problems with depending just on a ref in wiki is that of may be out of date.

Did a quick search and presto....which is not to say that OT will end up with Boeings....;)

Orient Thai picks Boeing - Russian jet maker unable to meet terms, 8 August 2011

Orient Thai Airlines is revamping its fleet with the introduction of Boeing 737 Classic jets to replace the vintage McDonnell Douglas 80-series aircraft. The Thai carrier opted for the US-made Boeings after its plan to acquire 12 Sukhoi Superjet narrow-body jets from Moscow-based Sukhoi Civil Aircraft (SCAC) did not materialise.

Orient Thai founder Udom Tantiprasongchai said SCAC's inability to meet promised delivery dates was due to delays in certification of airworthiness of its new aircraft. The earliest SCAC could deliver its aircraft was 2015-16, three to four years behind the airline's requirement.

Orient Thai had a non-binding memorandum of understanding with SCAC for two years to purchase 12 jets with an option for another 12. The jets cost US$25 million apiece, and talks involved SCAC establishing a Sukhoi aircraft maintenance centre and pilot training facility in Thailand. The airline has taken delivery of three used B737-300s and is working to acquire nine B737-400s, a more versatile and stretched version.

Back to the OPs original query and perhaps some reason as to why Orient may be reluctant to move back to DMK, I was reminded today that OT didn't get a chance to move some of their planes prior to the flooding at DMK. This pic was taken on 1 Nov 2011;

383078_10150448881921844_642121843_10414756_338040302_n.jpg

If you look at the airlines that have ordered the Sukhoi it reads like a who's who of airlines you'd probably like to avoid.

you are a coward....first you don't like the vintage MD-80 (new painted) and now you don't want Russian technology.

biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

If you look at the airlines that have ordered the Sukhoi it reads like a who's who of airlines you'd probably like to avoid.

you are a coward....first you don't like the vintage MD-80 (new painted) and now you don't want Russian technology.

biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I'll fly on them if I get my own ejector-seat and parachute. You already know how much I like my independent bail-outs.

• 1 month later...

There is an Orient Thai 747 that is being dismantled in Bangkok. It is in a field just off Ramkamhang around soi 40 or 50 I think.. Near the Honda motorcycle training track. Looks like the dismantling has sort of petered out over the past year. Not much progress since then

It might be being used for parts. Many airlines use retired aircraft this way, just not so publicly. (and they store them in a drier climate)

I think their parts supply is running out............

post-116031-0-65673500-1341127569_thumb.

Edited by User3