Living With Thai Husband In The Countryside

Nikki321

Miss Sorapong,

Well, we actually don't live in the parent's village anymore. We moved to a somewhat bigger (if you can call it that...haha...) town and rented a small house there. We moved because it was easier for me to get to work every morning (not so far,) and so my boyfriend had better job prospects. Plus...well...as much as I love his family...living WITH them for 10 months was enough for me!!!! We still visit on the weekends though.

I'd love to have a dog as well...but for now I settle with the bird and a neighbor cat that comes over everyday. You could make jewelry and then sell it? Teaching English really isn't that difficult and I am sure the village children/parents would appreciate it. As long as you know English (can speak it) you should be okay...I am sure you know more than the kids! It's a good way to get to know the locals as well.

I'm also afraid to cook Thai food, especially to my BF's mom...because she is an AMAZING cook and I really feel I could never live up to her cooking haha! But I'd still go for it...I know I should as well. I can cook Thai food...but not as well as I'd like to...still need lot's of practice. Even if you only give them fruits/sweets, it's still better than nothing! Thai people appreciate stuff like that. I also get overwhelmed with visitor's sometimes (though not as much since I moved).

• Like 1

here's my take on the whole people dropping by unnanounced & eating & drinking you out of house & home. Not the popular view but hey, your house, your rules.

We had a little house in hubbies home town before we moved to Uk permenantly & although his mates & family were always welcome it was up to him to get rid of them if they looked to be overstaying that welcome. I was quite happy to run tot he market or 7 for snacks & extra ice & stuff but I wasn't prepared to run around after them all night or day. We actually had a code, so if it was a day visit & the person was looking to settle in for the day he would tell whoever it was that we were going out in an hour or so, that kept family visits short enough to be pleasant & in the nighttime, if his mates were round he would send them on their way once I went to bed. Thankfully we never had the town drunk rocking up & there are no horrors in his family only kindly older rellies who liked to hang around all day interferring in our bidnezz & his mates are all lovely fellas who never took the piss but who sometimes needed a nudge out the door. :)

• Like 1

here's my take on the whole people dropping by unnanounced & eating & drinking you out of house & home. Not the popular view but hey, your house, your rules.

We had a little house in hubbies home town before we moved to Uk permenantly & although his mates & family were always welcome it was up to him to get rid of them if they looked to be overstaying that welcome. I was quite happy to run tot he market or 7 for snacks & extra ice & stuff but I wasn't prepared to run around after them all night or day. We actually had a code, so if it was a day visit & the person was looking to settle in for the day he would tell whoever it was that we were going out in an hour or so, that kept family visits short enough to be pleasant & in the nighttime, if his mates were round he would send them on their way once I went to bed. Thankfully we never had the town drunk rocking up & there are no horrors in his family only kindly older rellies who liked to hang around all day interferring in our bidnezz & his mates are all lovely fellas who never took the piss but who sometimes needed a nudge out the door. smile.png

Hi Boo!

I agree with everything you wrote! Thanks for the code thing, I will use it when we get our own home

and maybe sooner too..;) Cause even I have my limits. If you are a good Farang.. act well, dress well and

being polite etc. thats good.. but sometimes I feel like I have to be able to do things my way even if I live

in a small village in Thailand..

Here is a funny example.. the family have a modern washing machine and all the buttons instructions

are in english so no one in the family except a small boy can read it! So now he is the big boss of the machine

and he always start the machine in a very strange way for me.. cold nitting wash etc..;) (maybe they wash

everything cold to save money, I dont know) Myself I prefer hot cotton wash 60'C so It gets clean!

So every time I try to wash its a fight btw me and the young boy cause he go stop the machine and

change it back to "his way"... this used to make me crazy but now I do my washing when he is in

school...;)