Eu Naval Forces Attack Somali Pirate Bases

News_Editor

EU naval forces attack Somali pirate bases < br /> 2012-05-16 09:54:13 GMT+7 (ICT) MOGADISHU, SOMALIA (BNO NEWS) -- European Union (EU) naval forces on Tuesday morning launched an air assault against Somali pirate bases, destroying pirate equipment on the Somali coastline. There were no reports of casualties.The European Union Naval Force Somalia (EUNAVFOR) said the operation was conducted from the air with the support of the United Nations (UN) and the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia, which is the internationally recognized government of Somalia. No forces went ashore.The multinational force said the "focused, precise and proportionate" action was aimed to disrupt known pirate supplies on the shore. "We believe this action by the EU Naval Force will further increase the pressure on, and disrupt pirates’ efforts to get out to sea to attack merchant shipping and dhows," said EUNAVFOR Commander Rear Admiral Duncan Potts.Potts emphasized to local residents and fishermen in the region that the military action is only targeting known pirate supplies. "The EU Naval Force action against pirate supplies on the shoreline is merely an extension of the disruption actions carried out against pirate ships at sea," he said.There were no immediate reports of casualties from the air assault, which is the first of its kind by EUNAVFOR. Somali pirates have attacked merchant ships up to 1,750 miles (2,816 kilometers) off the Somali coast in recent years, hijacking them and keeping its crews hostage until a ransom is paid. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-05-16

This is a big step, EU military forces getting into ground action without the USA. I guess they liked the taste they got in Libya. Good for them.

"Only targeting known pirate supplies" yeah I bet the Pirates are crapping their pants,they really are a jokelaugh.png

An off-topic post and reply have been deleted.

Added: And now another off-topic, baiting post has been deleted. Re read the OP. The article is about Europe and Somalia. Not the US.

Edited by Scott

This is a big step, EU military forces getting into ground action without the USA. I guess they liked the taste they got in Libya. Good for them.

"Only targeting known pirate supplies" yeah I bet the Pirates are crapping their pants,they really are a jokelaugh.png

When they catch them at sea, they are "suspected" pirates. So how do they know if what they are targeting on land really are "pirate supplies"?

When they catch them at sea, they are "suspected" pirates. So how do they know if what they are targeting on land really are "pirate supplies"?

Read the OP, these are not my words but(IMHO) of the apologist Rear Admiral Potts ,and Were did I EVER write that they are "suspected" Pirates , if they had the right Intelligence on the ground there would be no suspicion ,then once they are 10 miles out to sea ,communicate with the Russian special forces with one command "kick arse", then send the video back for all to view from whence they came , pretty soon they would get "the message."wink.png Edited by Colin Yai

About time they started this , get'em on land.

Sorry Jim , I know your heart is in the right place ,better to wait till they are steaming 10 nautical miles out on one of the "missions" (no hiding place) then leave it to the Russian "special forces" who appear to have the message that these murdering villains understand smile.png Edited by Colin Yai

This action is long overdue - they should have acted years ago... It's significant the the EU naval force have expanded operations inland. I wonder, could the economic woes of the Eurozone have, in fact, finally prompted this action? The cost of preventing piracy dwarfs the ransoms paid, it was almost $7 billion last year and most of this cost, 80%, is borne by the shipping industry; extra 'danger' pay, extra insurance, more fuel to travel faster - this is passed on to the consumer. If the EU wants to export their way out of debt, everything spent on prevention could be euros well spent.

• Like 1

Read the OP, these are not my words but(IMHO) of the apologist Rear Admiral Potts ,and Were did I EVER write that they are "suspected" Pirates ,

I didn't mean that YOU wrote "suspected". There was another thread recently how the Dutch Navy saved hostages from "suspected" pirates.

I agree, let the Russians take care of them. They have a very clear, simplistic method of dealing with pirates. Send them to the bottom of the sea. Nowadays, the Western "civilized" countries can't stop anything because the enemy know if caught they will be treated and fed even better than what they have before being caught.

• Like 1

Read the OP, these are not my words but(IMHO) of the apologist Rear Admiral Potts ,and Were did I EVER write that they are "suspected" Pirates ,

I didn't mean that YOU wrote "suspected". There was another thread recently how the Dutch Navy saved hostages from "suspected" pirates.

I agree, let the Russians take care of them. They have a very clear, simplistic method of dealing with pirates. Send them to the bottom of the sea. Nowadays, the Western "civilized" countries can't stop anything because the enemy know if caught they will be treated and fed even better than what they have before being caught.

I don't know whether to blame it on post-colonial guilt syndrome or elements within Western democracies trying to sabotage their own house, but we have been farcically lenient when dealing with pirates. I would happily pay the Russians to do the job, though I'm sure our press would come to the aid of the pirates crying foul play.

My Apologies Khoeesti ,got my lines crossed somewhat there did,nt I thumbsup.gif