Writing Music And Studios In Chiang Mai

mrmackerel

I will be in Chiang Mai for some time, focusing on my studies and writing music. How acceptable is it to play a piano in apartments? And is the security generally good?

I understand renting a small house may be better if I'm going to be writing music all the time, but I am not clear on crime in Chiang Mai. Would burglary be something I should be concerned about? This is potentially exacerbated as I will be bringing some studio equipment.

Aside from this, it would be wonderful to be able to collaborate with others in the city.

Regarding university-grade music schools, there is Payap... any others?

Thank you for your time and advice.

Renting a house will certainly be likely more conflict free, but some apartment/condo's have pretty solid concrete and if you're in a lower floor and don't play too badly shouldn't be a practical problem.

Houses can get burgled, but there are many moobahns with decent security where that's less likely. I'm assuming you don't want to hire a live-in Thai, that options not expensive either.

Check out renters' insurance, but check the fine print for professional gear and bring your receipts with you.

Check out the nightclub scene for musos as well as the schools, but both are much more plentiful (1000x) in BKK.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Being a musician and sometime studio man myself, my advice to you would be to rent a house in a moobahn, as sugested above. The new security we have at ours is very good, keeping i.d. cards/passports etc for everyone that goes in and out. Just take the usual precautions at your home as you would in your own country.

Today i looked at a pretty good rehearsal room with gear for 140 baht an hour. This would be a good option but i suspect you would prefer to have your own gear, set up and able to use 24 hours a day at your own convenience, as i would.

In terms of musicians, they/we are everywhere. Not hard to find, but if you'd like to hit the ground running send me a pm and i'll point you in a few directions.

Thank you very much for the advice, gentlemen. I hadn't even heard/read of moobahn before now.

I have a small studio setup that I use for most things. I typically only go into a full studio for percussion, or if I'm having trouble recording or mixing a track on my own. It took me a while to accumulate quality gear, and while I am trying to get insurance on it all, so far companies are turning me down when I say Thailand.

Moobahn sound ideal except maybe for travel time to get into town? Aside from classes and general things like shopping, I usually work and study during the day, then relax or cut loose at night.

Aside from Thai and Japanese studies (I'm currently in Japan and would like to keep working on my Japanese after I leave), I will be studying music with a college in America. This college is okay with me doing all my studies in Chiang Mai, however I absolutely have to find a local university-level piano teacher (meaning advanced degree and still performing). They're very specific and picky about this point, so I worry a bit about it as well.

Thank you very much for the advice, gentlemen. I hadn't even heard/read of moobahn before now.

I have a small studio setup that I use for most things. I typically only go into a full studio for percussion, or if I'm having trouble recording or mixing a track on my own. It took me a while to accumulate quality gear, and while I am trying to get insurance on it all, so far companies are turning me down when I say Thailand.

Moobahn sound ideal except maybe for travel time to get into town? Aside from classes and general things like shopping, I usually work and study during the day, then relax or cut loose at night.

Aside from Thai and Japanese studies (I'm currently in Japan and would like to keep working on my Japanese after I leave), I will be studying music with a college in America. This college is okay with me doing all my studies in Chiang Mai, however I absolutely have to find a local university-level piano teacher (meaning advanced degree and still performing). They're very specific and picky about this point, so I worry a bit about it as well.

Sometimes the security guards at these moo baan are not to be trusted. however I think finding uni level piano teachers won't be hard.

Sometimes the security guards at these moo baan are not to be trusted. however I think finding uni level piano teachers won't be hard.

Yeah, I am concerned about the security guards. I hope that I am wise enough to read the neighborhoods when I enter, but any advice would be most welcome.

I'm glad to hear your thought on the teachers. That's quite a load off my mind. Now only to organize the ensembles... (c:

Regarding finding pianists If you don't know already, here is the list of some lecturer at the music dept at Payap University

http://music.payap.ac.th/index.php/en/2008-07-22-08-00-01.html?showall=1

It is great for the local musicians to have visitors.

Yeah, I am concerned about the security guards. I hope that I am wise enough to read the neighborhoods when I enter, but any advice would be most welcome.

I'm glad to hear your thought on the teachers. That's quite a load off my mind. Now only to organize the ensembles... (c:

Regarding finding pianists If you don't know already, here is the list of some lecturer at the music dept at Payap University

http://music.payap.a....html?showall=1

Tyvm, yeah I hope to approach that school for private lessons. I'm interested in studying music there as a "proper" student, but obviously I don't have the language to. It would perhaps behoove me to sign up for their intensive language program.

I'm not a pianist but I've heard of Mr. Bernard and Mr. Bennett, they are very well respected by local pianists for decades. I think they do private lessons. Everyone in the Payap Music department knows them. Or you you can ask a friend of mind Mr.Champ (Thai, speaks English) he knows most musicians in town 081 681 8329. I

http://music.payap.a....html?showall=1

Tyvm, yeah I hope to approach that school for private lessons. I'm interested in studying music there as a "proper" student, but obviously I don't have the language to. It would perhaps behoove me to sign up for their intensive language program.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Make sure you bring all the sheet music you need.... it's not available in Chiang Mai (at least I've never found it!)

David

Do you mean printed music or blank music sheets? For blank sheets, I just copy the same single book I bought like 15 years ago. Printed music... hmm... a lot can be download for free.

Make sure you bring all the sheet music you need.... it's not available in Chiang Mai (at least I've never found it!)

David

Do you mean printed music or blank music sheets? For blank sheets, I just copy the same single book I bought like 15 years ago. Printed music... hmm... a lot can be download for free.

From what I've read, there is a Thai notational system, but it appears to have fallen into disuse. Much of what I'm come across has been Western notation. Here in Japan, they have a distinct system for Japanese instruments and ensembles. Rather interesting.

There's a picture of Japanese notation here, just scroll down a bit.

http://tokyokawaiietc.com/archives/10457

David

There are plenty at most music school and I saw some from Amadeus music top of Kad suen Kaew