Car Bodywork Repair - Is It Worth Having It Done On Insurance?

Afternoon...

I have a 6 year old Mitsubishi Triton. Over the years its picked up quite a few knocks, scatches, etc. I've never had the time before to be without my car whilst it's being repaired, but now I'm in a good position to have it done.

I took it to a local bodyshop and they quoted me 60,000 Baht to sort it out. They would re-spray the whole car, every panel and also sort out the repairs to the body work. They promised me it will look like a brand new car when it's finished. I've had a few friends who have had work done to their cars (including a full re-spray) and I don't doubt the garages ability. However, it's pretty expensive if you ask me.

The question is, is it worth me having this done through my insurance company? I have 6 years no claims with them and I'm worried how it will effect my future premium.

All ideas/thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

I doubt they will cover it.

On my Mitsubishi triton I had a small accident where someone ran into me. I had to go with the insurace company to the police station and we made a report then they issued a paper to take to the shop and have it fixed. On the side of my truck is a big scratch from a motor bike they won't cover untill I go to the police station and make a report. Where it happened was 600 km away so not really worth the time or effort to have it done.

However syaing that, my rate did not go up when I renewed my policy this week

I doubt they will cover it.

On my Mitsubishi triton I had a small accident where someone ran into me. I had to go with the insurace company to the police station and we made a report then they issued a paper to take to the shop and have it fixed. On the side of my truck is a big scratch from a motor bike they won't cover untill I go to the police station and make a report. Where it happened was 600 km away so not really worth the time or effort to have it done.

However syaing that, my rate did not go up when I renewed my policy this week

You're correct, the insurance company will not cover. Insurance is meant to cover for damages that occur now, not for damages that have occurred the last 5 years.

To Jeffrey: your premium did not go up because your insurance company will get the money for repair on your car from the insurance company of the party at fault.

In case of an accident: call your insurance company, they will sort things out with the other party, etc.

Actually when I was there last year renewing my insurance they told me I could have all the work done. They advised me to renew my insurance first and then they would have the work done.

I had some work done a couple of years ago - some of the damage was old some was new. All was covered under insurance, though a separate claim needs to be made for each 'incident' - so a dent in the front, broken light, a scratch, is three claim forms. I've had my car practically resprayed, and some panels sprayed twice, mostly for scratches. So what if you make a claim - the premium for the following year may not decrease, you just saved a lot of money anyway. You just have to ask your insured about it - what you can and cannot claim, and if there is any excess (usually less than 5K baht, if any at all). It's worth doing on insurance, but if you have to pay it yourself, and it's an old car, I'd have my doubts, unless you want to keep it for another 5-10 years.

40000 Thb for a complete repaint is a maximum, not 60k.

Yes I think so too, unless they are laying on many coats?

Yeah, probably "Samui Tax" - I'm going to shop around a bit. Will probably check out the main dealers on the island as well.

40000 Thb for a complete repaint is a maximum, not 60k.

Yes I think so too, unless they are laying on many coats?

Yeah, probably "Samui Tax" - I'm going to shop around a bit. Will probably check out the main dealers on the island as well.

Have you asked what paint they are going to use? Is it a slow drying one 2K or are they going to use an oven. 40000Baht is about the going rate for a car with a company that uses an oven. Can't you get a Thai to shop around for you.

Thanks JAS. I'll ask those questions next time. Will shop around this week, I can always take it over to Suratthani and have it painted there. I might ask my girlfriend to speak with the Mitsubishi dealer there.

It's worth having the car re-painted as I will keep it until it's time to scrap it. It only has 60k on the clock, hopefully I can get another 10 years from this motor.

Thanks JAS. I'll ask those questions next time. Will shop around this week, I can always take it over to Suratthani and have it painted there. I might ask my girlfriend to speak with the Mitsubishi dealer there.

It's worth having the car re-painted as I will keep it until it's time to scrap it. It only has 60k on the clock, hopefully I can get another 10 years from this motor.

I just had my step-daughters car resprayed ... My wife sorted it at 25000Baht, using a 2K paint at a company that she had used before. The job was OK and is guaranteed ... I think for the paint to stay on!!, it wouldn't do for me (but she can't even be bothered to wash the car nevermined apply some polish) as I would have wanted a really deep shine. The guy doesn't have an oven.

Generally the more clear coats that are put on the more deep the shine. Companies tend to only put two clear coats on.

It's more expensive to change colour, so don't.

Generally speaking, you need to protect new paint well, either with a good wax or paint sealent ... I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealent. Don't let any bird deposit remain on the new paintwork.

You will probably find that a main dealer will have somewhere good to get body repairs done ... I know that some BMW dealers in Bangkok have their own places.

Ask to see work in progress and the finished job

Maybe have a goodle about car repainting ...good luck

Is it worthwhile? Will be.

Probably you will have to pay THB 1000-THB 2000 exess fee.

Your no-claim bonus will be decreased.

The value of the car will go down and therefore the premium will go down too.

All in all it will cost you approx. THB 1500 - THB 2500. I guess.