Bangkok Is Top Town For Facebookers In The World, As Asia Fuels Growth

webfact

Again, if that is the only women you have met in Thailand (as you stated) then as I stated you should get out more. Since you failed to get the analogy then let me explain it this way ... it is incredibly naive to base your opinions on an entire group (nationality or gender) based on such a small sample of people such as a sampling of your girlfriends friends and family or convicts on is incarcerated with ( the analogy you didn't understand).

If you are still not getting the point then let me make it crystal clear ..... There is absolutely nothing factual to back up any claim that Thais would have multiple accounts at any rate higher than any other country.

I thought it might have just been my post that created such a reaction from yourself...

Then I skimmed a few of your other posts...

Then I realised, Nisa, that it is not me or my posts that are the problem.

I guess this is your way of finally saying you understand how ridiculous your comments were in regards to agreeing with 1/2 of Thai Facebook users are bogus (duplicate user) accounts and that the ONLY Thai women you have EVER met have had multiple Facebook accounts.

Is it really that hard, even on a thread about Facebook and Number of Users to not try to cast some negativity about Thais or Thai women?

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, no clue what this has to do with my post.

Nisa, did you or did you not write this

The privacy setting on facebook allow you to have a completely private page with no access to anyone but yourself and having nobody even be able to search for it all the way to completely public with your content being in search engines and everyone being able to post and view to this page ... as well as having privacy settings for just about anything in between.

One has to be naive if they believe the government cannot access information about them be it Voter registration, Cell Phone, land lines, purchases and so on.

You also conveniently snipped the first part of the post which was a reply to a user who didn't understand how a company/user could gain customers through facebook unless through hacking means.

Why does a company Facebook page be any different than any other internet advertising page? Beyond the fact that Facebook has huge SEO and it allows potential clients to easily interact.

The privacy setting on facebook allow you to have a completely private page with no access to anyone but yourself and having nobody even be able to search for it all the way to completely public with your content being in search engines and everyone being able to post and view to this page ... as well as having privacy settings for just about anything in between.

The point being that to use Facebook by a business, you don't have to have any personal information out there.

So, once again, I am clueless your about your argument with me. You have valid concerns about government intrusion into people's lives but this has absolutely nothing to do with my post which was about companies/users advertising to the public through Facebook.

Again, if that is the only women you have met in Thailand (as you stated) then as I stated you should get out more. Since you failed to get the analogy then let me explain it this way ... it is incredibly naive to base your opinions on an entire group (nationality or gender) based on such a small sample of people such as a sampling of your girlfriends friends and family or convicts on is incarcerated with ( the analogy you didn't understand).

If you are still not getting the point then let me make it crystal clear ..... There is absolutely nothing factual to back up any claim that Thais would have multiple accounts at any rate higher than any other country.

I thought it might have just been my post that created such a reaction from yourself...

I guess this is your way of finally saying you understand how ridiculous your comments were in regards to agreeing with 1/2 of Thai Facebook users are bogus (duplicate user) accounts and that the ONLY Thai women you have EVER met have had multiple Facebook accounts.

Is it really that hard, even on a thread about Facebook and Number of Users to not try to cast some negativity about Thais or Thai women?

Once again, Nisa, your reply is an example of yourself projecting your own thoughts onto others. You make grand assumptions out of nothing. Luckily I don't take you seriously and so take no offence to your rantings postings. wink.png

Why would you see it as a negative if a Thai woman has more than one FB account? I certainly don't. I personally think it is a great idea.

Apparently you don't know any Thai women with multiple FB accounts. Perhaps you have yet to make a close and trusting relationship with a Thai woman? When you do, when they feel they can trust you, maybe they will show you their multiple FB accounts. Even add you as a friend to both.

I do believe that could be a long road for you Nisa, but, the wait should be worth it. Stick with it and it will happen. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

WOW, Thailand the new HUB of social media. I guess all those free tablets weren't a waste of money after all, they are actually being used. So when is facebook moving thier H.Q to Bangkok?

India set to overtake US as Facebook's largest market

Published on Thu, May 17, 2012 at 08:00 | Source CNBC

India is set to overtake the US as the world`s largest Facebook market by number of users as early as 2015, according to social media analysts, driven by growing internet penetration and high rates of growth in mobile connections.

"India could overtake the United States in the next three years. Last year, Facebook users in India doubled. Growth will be driven by mobile internet users in second- and third-tier cities," Shalini Verma, Principal Research Analyst at Gartner told CNBC, noting that the US market is saturated in terms of user numbers.

As Facebook`s third largest market, India is home to over 45 million users, behind Brazil and the United States with 47 and 157 million users, respectively, according to the latest data from Facebook`s advertising platform.

List of cities on Facebook

# City Country Users Pen. 1. Bangkok Facebook statistics Thailand 8682940 104.74% 2. Jakarta Facebook statistics Indonesia 7434580 34.10% 3. Istanbul Facebook statistics Turkey 7066700 62.98% 4. London Facebook statistics United Kingdom 6139180 73.79% 5. Bogota Facebook statistics Colombia 6112120 82.15% 6. Sao Paulo Facebook statistics Brazil 5718220 29.88% 7. Mexico city Facebook statistics Mexico 4294820 23.30% 8. Santiago Facebook statistics Chile 4129700 73.35% 9. Mumbai Facebook statistics India 3700460 18.95% 10. Buenos Aires Facebook statistics Argentina 3533840 28.52% 11. Rio de Janeiro Facebook statistics Brazil 3487300 194.72% 12. New York Facebook statistics United States 3420380 17.03% 13. Los Angeles (CA) Facebook statistics United States 3405600 23.12% 14. Kuala Lumpur Facebook statistics Malaysia 3328240 60.85% 15. Paris Facebook statistics France 3062020 29.36% 16. Bangalore Facebook statistics India 2931460 44.02% 17. Singapore Facebook statistics Singapore 2662680 61.64% 18. Ankara Facebook statistics Turkey 2551160 66.96% 19. Caracas Facebook statistics Venezuela 2503940 93.78% 20. Lima Facebook statistics Peru 2480220 32.00%

Once again, Nisa, your reply is an example of yourself projecting your own thoughts onto others. You make grand assumptions out of nothing. Luckily I don't take you seriously and so take no offence to your rantings postings. wink.png

Why would you see it as a negative if a Thai woman has more than one FB account? I certainly don't. I personally think it is a great idea.

Apparently you don't know any Thai women with multiple FB accounts. Perhaps you have yet to make a close and trusting relationship with a Thai woman? When you do, when they feel they can trust you, maybe they will show you their multiple FB accounts. Even add you as a friend to both.

I do believe that could be a long road for you Nisa, but, the wait should be worth it. Stick with it and it will happen. thumbsup.gif

Projecting??? Interesting because I am married and have a family here (not just a girlfriend). And clearly I know more women than you since you have only met ones with multiple Facebook accounts.

As for it being a negative that women have multiple accounts (actually your assertion that 50% of "users" in Bangkok are actually bogus because of duplicate users), it certainly is as it pertains to the OP as it discredits the entire OP and the number of people connected. But you specifically said you have never met a women in Thailand who didn't have multiple accounts.

Then you want to pretend not only is this an true statement but one that wasn't meant as derogatory and insinuating something about Thai women. Have the guts to say you made a mistake, were joking or simply were being incredibly over exaggerating to make some point (which clearly wasn't a positive one) instead of trying to back peddle and make accusations about me because your own words are biting you in the behind.

Edited by Nisa

Projecting??? Interesting because I am married and have a family here (not just a girlfriend). And clearly I know more women than you since you have only met ones with multiple Facebook accounts.

As for it being a negative that women have multiple accounts (actually your assertion that 50% of "users" in Bangkok are actually bogus because of duplicate users), it certainly is as it pertains to the OP as it discredits the entire OP and the number of people connected. But you specifically said you have never met a women in Thailand who didn't have multiple accounts.

Then you want to pretend not only is this an true statement but one that wasn't meant as derogatory and insinuating something about Thai women. Have the guts to say you made a mistake, were joking or simply were being incredibly over exaggerating to make some point (which clearly wasn't a positive one) instead of trying to back peddle and make accusations about me because your own words are biting you in the behind.

coffee1.gif ....Surely if I tell you something clearly, just once, it is enough?

Do you have your blood pressure checked regularly? Might be an idea laugh.png

I might come back and read the rest of your reply later....I'm guessing it might contain a half baked conspiracy theory you have...Alas, I will probably never know for sure... whistling.gif

coffee1.gif ....Surely if I tell you something clearly, just once, it is enough?

Do you have your blood pressure checked regularly? Might be an idea laugh.png

I might come back and read the rest of your reply later....I'm guessing it might contain a half baked conspiracy theory you have...Alas, I will probably never know for sure... whistling.gif

Me thinks you are doing more projecting if you think I am the least bit emotional as well as your going out of the way to try to prove it is meaningless to you that I called you out for your less than truthful statement / insinuation that clearly was meant as a slight towards Thai women. As I suggested before, rather than deny and try to justify the statement, simply explain it was a joke, hyperbole, mistake, a response to your current thought about Thai Women or ...

Yet to meet a Thai woman without at least 2 FB profiles.

Edited by Nisa

And you wonder why in the LOS F'book is the TOP?

Thai Facebook Scam Suspect Arrested (follow the pointing fingers)

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/12/05/thai-facebook-scam-suspect-arrested/

Facebook Fraud: Beware Malicious Friends

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_113464.html

Facebook Scams You Need To Know About: The 9 Most Common Hacks and Attacks

http://ph.yahoo.matchmove.com/newsarticle/facebook-scams

'Cleverest Facebook scam yet' accuses users of violating site policy, threatens to delete account

http://in.news.yahoo.com/cleverest-facebook-scam-yet-accuses-users-violating-policy-075106663.html

all my Thai friends have multiple FB accounts. At least 3 or 4. Some up to 10.

Cut that number by at least 50% and you are close to the truth

Why would they have up to 10 accounts? Note this is users and not company pages.

To keep their separate circles of friends separate - "party animals" "school friends" "coworkers" "side job partners/prospects"

Not to mention "family" "giiks" etc.

Why would you ever want everyone in your life seeing each other?

You might want to consider getting out and actually experiencing Thailand since you have never met a Thai women whose Facebook user account(s) you have not been privy too. Seriously, you need to see the real Thailand and its people beyond the seedy crowd because your view is kind of like a prisoner assuming that most everyone in the world is a rapists or murderer because those are the people they meet while in prison

What a totally bizarre and irrational rant! Take your meds. . .

By the way, I have countless female and male Thai friends which I am also friends with on Facebook and can only think of one 15-year old, a daughter of a friend, who has more than one User account. A number of them have groups or business pages but these are not separate user accounts. Like anywhere else, they either know how to use the privacy features, don't care and/or don't friend people they don't want part of their Facebook friends and none of them feel a need to have multiple personalities and faux lives for different friends or acquaintances. The are who they are and don't share information with people they don't want to be it personal of on Facebook.

If you think about it ... kind of bizzare to think of somebody setting up a facebook account for people they work with to view and have these folks wonder why the only friends they have are coworkers ... kind of a huge Red Flag you are hiding something. On the other hand, it is very normal not to befriend people on facebook who are co-workers. Also strange to create a Facebook page specifically for people you are not friends with.

Sure people have multiple accounts but no more than anywhere else.

Whether that is the case or not, why would you think that having so many multiple accounts is somehow a negative thing?

What's wrong with wanting privacy between different compartments of one's life? Perfectly normal and rational, doesn't imply immorality or anything. . .

• Like 1

Whether that is the case or not, why would you think that having so many multiple accounts is somehow a negative thing?

What's wrong with wanting privacy between different compartments of one's life? Perfectly normal and rational, doesn't imply immorality or anything. . .

When the statement from the poster is saying they have NEVER meet a "WOMEN" in Thailand that doesn't have multiple Facebook account it certainly is insinuating something and to pretend it isn't is is either extremely naive or simply looking to argue.

It is also ridiculous to make claims that 1/2 of all facebook user accounts in Thailand are duplicate accounts or that Thailand has any kind of higher rate of multiple accounts than anywhere else and the VAST majority of people on Facebook are not going out of there way to create multiple accounts which is very time consuming, against the rules and makes little sense what-so-ever because and would be very irritating to those you are friends with ... there are just not that many people with entire groups of friends that wouldn't have any overlap and feel a need to be different people with different groups while also being too ignorant to understand how to use the Groups and Privacy settings on Facebook.

I get the feeling you are not a Facebook user. Every post or picture you share has a link right on it that allows you to say what group of friends you want to share it with as well as being able to do it on an individual level.

Having multiple accounts is against the rules and terms and conditions of Facebook. Having multiple accounts is also grounds for being banned and is something enforced. Facebook actively looks for multiple accounts (and deletes them) and requires authentication when signing up.

Edited by Nisa

people with no social skills seeking attention.

Seeking customers.

Why would people telling their friends what they are doing through an open 'ish medium (for whatever reason they feel the need to do so) be seeking customers?...<snip>

I wasn't talking about people telling their friends...

<snip>... to create multiple accounts which is very time consuming, against the rules and makes little sense what-so-ever because and would be very irritating to those you are friends with...<snip>

Just like people have two or more phones, or one phone with two SIM cards.

And, oh of course if it against the rules then no one will do it, will they?

C'mon people, don't be so naive.

Google+ :)

For those who don't know, on Google+ signing in with two different account simultaneously is actually a feature.

Although I haven't got too into Google+ I can definitely see the multiple accounts making a lot more sense with Google+ because of the way the application differs and the extended people (strangers) you are connecting with. I mean you can have one for business, one for connecting with folks into sports and one for friends.... Facebook on the other hand, has so many layers of privacy options and groups you can associate people with that determines who sees what. In addition you can set up as many Group, Business or Fan pages as you want that act like a different user in terms of connecting with different people but are not considered a user and none of the people you connect to those pages needs to know anything about the other pages or your personal user information.

But I also found the multiple accounts kind of a bug since it appeared you were forced to create multiple accounts for each of your gmail email accounts even though the emails were all associated with one user. Having multiple email accounts is very common (mainly for spam) and it just seemed irritating to have to create a separate + account for each ... then again, after signing up I haven't used it much and maybe was just doing something wrong.

Beyond pretending to be somebody else or having secret lives, there aren't too many (if any) reasons to have multiple user accounts on Facebook. This is probably why they have the rules of requiring your real name and banning multiple accounts.

For those who don't know, on Google+ signing in with two different account simultaneously is actually a feature.

Although I haven't got too into Google+ I can definitely see the multiple accounts making a lot more sense with Google+ because of the way the application differs and the extended people (strangers) you are connecting with. I mean you can have one for business, one for connecting with folks into sports and one for friends.

Actually Google+ is designed so that you only need one account. But with Google+ you have different "circles". So you don't need a personal account and a work account like you do on Facebook. With one Google+ account you have multiple circles of friends. You can post a photo so only your coworkers can see it, or only your friends and family, or only your family, or for everybody, etc. It's a good idea, and I hope Google patented the hell out of it.

Although I haven't got too into Google+ I can definitely see the multiple accounts making a lot more sense with Google+ because of the way the application differs and the extended people (strangers) you are connecting with. I mean you can have one for business, one for connecting with folks into sports and one for friends.

Actually Google+ is designed so that you only need one account. But with Google+ you have different "circles". So you don't need a personal account and a work account like you do on Facebook. With one Google+ account you have multiple circles of friends. You can post a photo so only your coworkers can see it, or only your friends and family, or only your family, or for everybody, etc. It's a good idea, and I hope Google patented the hell out of it.

Actually what you are describing is how also how Facebook works in terms of not needing two accounts (which is against their terms and conditions unlike Google+) and also being able to set up groups (circles) to determine who can see and do what interactions with you and Facebook also allows you to do it on an individual level.

Again, could be wrong but I believe Google+ forces you to have a different user account for each Gmail account you have. So, it behooves a person to have multiple accounts if they want people associated with those emails to find them (business vs. personal). Maybe Google+ allows this too but FB allows a user to create a business page without creating a new account and without sharing any of their personal information with those connected with the business page. It also allows employees of that company to be connected through that page again without sharing any personal information with co-workers.

Just remember that nothing on the internet is 100% private, despite the "guarantees".

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs18-cyb.htm

Social networks. Online social networks are websites that allow users to build connections and relationships to other Internet users. Social networks store information remotely, rather than on a user’s personal computer. Social networking can be used to keep in touch with friends, make new contacts and find people with similar interests and ideas. These online services have grown in popularity since they were first adopted on a large scale in the late 1990s.

Many people besides friends and acquaintances are interested in the information people post on social networks. Identity thieves, scam artists, debt collectors, stalkers, and corporations looking for a market advantage are using social networks to gather information about consumers. Companies that operate social networks are themselves collecting a variety of data about their users, both to personalize the services for the users and to sell to advertisers.

Our Fact Sheet 35- Social Networking Privacy: How to be Safe, Secure and Social provides information about the advantages and disadvantages of using social networks, what kind of information may be safe to post and how to protect it, as well as who is able to access different types of information posted to these networks.

• Like 1

I am retired now, but, when I was working, it was in the Enforcement Bureau of a three letter Federal Government agency in the United States, not the FBI either. We investigated violations of Federal Legislative Law, not criminal law, that was for people who had the powers of arrest, which I did not. But still, we did investigations of people who were violating Federal Law!

About two years before I retired a new young man, I will call him Jim, was hired into the office. I was working a case and rhetorically asked, "there must be some place on the internet that has information about the guy I am investigating." Jim said he would check and was back in five minutes with the name of the guy I was investigating, his mothers and fathers name, his telephone number, where he went to college, what his major was, where he volunteered to work at his college, his home address, and what he had planned to do and when and more. Everything needed to close my case.

Jim told me he had a Facebook account and found all the information on Facebook. Any one with a Facebook account and knowledge of how it worked could have done the same thing. I did not have a Facebook account at that time.

The office found Facebook to be a "Horn of Plenty" in our investigations, mainly because of the users failure to use the privacy features!I am on Facebook, but I try to not use it much. Facebook and other websites like it scares me, with the amount of private information out there just waiting for a person to access it with his computer!

Facebook is going to put all the spooks out of a job. coffee1.gif

[media=]

[/media]

When the statement from the poster is saying they have NEVER meet a "WOMEN" in Thailand that doesn't have multiple Facebook account it certainly is insinuating something and to pretend it isn't is is either extremely naive or simply looking to argue.

It is also ridiculous to make claims that 1/2 of all facebook user accounts in Thailand are duplicate accounts or that Thailand has any kind of higher rate of multiple accounts than anywhere else and the VAST majority of people on Facebook are not going out of there way to create multiple accounts which is very time consuming, against the rules and makes little sense what-so-ever because and would be very irritating to those you are friends with ... there are just not that many people with entire groups of friends that wouldn't have any overlap and feel a need to be different people with different groups while also being too ignorant to understand how to use the Groups and Privacy settings on Facebook.

I get the feeling you are not a Facebook user. Every post or picture you share has a link right on it that allows you to say what group of friends you want to share it with as well as being able to do it on an individual level.

Having multiple accounts is against the rules and terms and conditions of Facebook. Having multiple accounts is also grounds for being banned and is something enforced. Facebook actively looks for multiple accounts (and deletes them) and requires authentication when signing up.

I'm sorry but I honestly think your naivete borders on stupidity. Out of how many FB users how many even know that multiple accounts is "against the rules?" Personally I never heard of that "rule", and it would be totally effortless for FB to enforce it on all but the most techie geeks if they wanted to go to the trouble to do so. They seem to only bother doing so when there's actual problems reported.

Fact there are far more Thai accounts on Facebook than there are people using the Internet. True also for other countries.

Whether or not such activity is more prevalent in Thailand than other places, honestly who cares? Because there is nothing wrong with it.

IMO there are certainly a higher percentage of Thai people using such platforms for scamming/defrauding people - and of course that's the real crime not just having multiple accounts - than most other countries, except perhaps Nigeria.

Out of 20+ internet shops within a ten minute walk from my house, half of them have ladies that write English well enough to help the girls fishing for farang, and very few of them are telling the whole truth about themselves, so don't try to pretend it isn't a major if somewhat disorganized "industry" here.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Nisa, you obviously never used Google Plus and have no idea what you are talking about. Facebook's sophisticated group settings were introduced in response to Google Plus circles where control over who can see your posts, and also what posts appear in your stream are incredibly easy, hence the joke at the bottom of the previous page.

I could be wrong but I believe Google+ forces you to have a different user account for each Gmail account you have

Yes, you are very wrong indeed. Gmail and G+ accounts are inseparable, you can't create one without automatically creating the other.

>>>

On the first day of free trading FB stock dropped ten percent. The "five times too expensive" adjustment might come sooner that people expected but I think they hype will continue for at least a couple of weeks.

I admire Mark Z's loyalty - just married a girlfriend of ten years while also devoting the rest of his time to the same business for ten years, but people change and, unlike Google with millions of crazy ideas, Facebook doesn't have plan B, if you get bored of social there's nothing else to do there. One day Mark will wake up and realize he wants to do something else. What will be of Facebook then?

Nisa, you obviously never used Google Plus and have no idea what you are talking about. Facebook's sophisticated group settings were introduced in response to Google Plus circles where control over who can see your posts, and also what posts appear in your stream are incredibly easy, hence the joke at the bottom of the previous page.

I could be wrong but I believe Google+ forces you to have a different user account for each Gmail account you have

Yes, you are very wrong indeed. Gmail and G+ accounts are inseparable, you can't create one without automatically creating the other.

>>>

I said FB "also" has these control features while never hinting or suggesting whose came first as it wasn't relevant. I don't mind being told I am wrong or don't know what I am talking about, especially with Google+ which I made clear I am not a big user, but a bit silly to tell me I don't know what I am talking about because of something I never said.

As for what you say I am very wrong about, you are actually confirming I am right though I am guessing you misunderstood what I was trying to say which was that I believed each Gmail Account is going to have a Google+ account that is different than your other Google+ accounts set up by your other email accounts. So, as I said, you are forced to have different Google+ accounts for each Gmail address you have. The point being is that unlike facebook that bans multiple accounts and requires you to use your real identity, Google+ forces duplicate accounts even when you associate your multiple email accounts to yourself.

Although both are Social Media Platforms, there are big differences in these two platforms and the way they are used by people. Last I read Google+ had about 90 Million users,350 Million Gmail users (almost as many as Hotmail)and Facebook about 900 Million users.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa, I wasn't being specific about that one post, you keep saying things that don't make any sense practically everywhere. Take this, for example:

I can definitely see the multiple accounts making a lot more sense with Google+ because of the way the application differs and the extended people (strangers) you are connecting with. I mean you can have one for business, one for connecting with folks into sports and one for friends.... Facebook on the other hand, has so many layers of privacy options and groups you can associate people with that determines who sees what.

It's not "on the other hand" because these privacy options and groups were practically invented by G+ and you don't need to have different accounts for sports and friends, you just put them into different circles and they'll never cross.

This is going way off topic. I get it that you like Facebook and can talk about its advantages forever and maybe you should start a thread in Internet part of Thaivisa about that.

Another bad news about Facebook IPO - the underwriters apparently hidden important information about FB's dropping performance while promoting to the general public. This is not only unfair, it could actually be illegal. Facebook might be complicit in the scam, too.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-bankers-earnings-forecasts-2012-5

It's the first I hear about, let's see if the story picks up the speed in the next couple of days. Could be nothing, could be a lawsuit, could be another bad publicity piece for FB?