Movie Theatres South Of Chiang Mai

Sophon

The girlfriend and I currently live in Bangkok, but are looking to move to Lamphun in a few months. Here in Bangkok we really enjoy going to the movie theatre about once a week to watch the new movies and we would like to continue doing that after the move, but I don't think there are any theatres in Lamphun showing movies with the original (English) soundtrack. So that means we wll probably have to drive to Chiang Mai to get our "movie fix".

I know (believe) that there is a movie theatre in Airport Plaza that shows movies with original soundtrack, but are there other alternatives closer to Lamphun (i.e. south of Chiang Mai)? What movie theatre would you choose to go to if living in Lamphun and why?

Thank you in advance for giving be the benefit of your local knowledge. I have visited Chiang Mai a couple of times but never for an extended time, and though the GF did live in Chiang Mai for a few years while going to university, that is almost 20 years ago by now so much will have changed since then.

Sophon

Airport plaza,more likely to get the English soundtrack with Thai subtitles.

7 cinemas and most of the popular movies can be seen there.There is a road off highway 11 that goes directly to Airport Plaza.

Airport plaza,more likely to get the English soundtrack with Thai subtitles.

7 cinemas and most of the popular movies can be seen there.There is a road off highway 11 that goes directly to Airport Plaza.

Thank you for confirming that Major Cineplex in Airport Plaza shows movies with original soundtrack, that's the theatre we were planning to use. Do you know of any alternative theatres that are better/cheaper/closer to Lamphun?

Sophon

I use this link when i want to check whats on and where http://www.majorcine...ajor-chiangmai/ it has all the cineplex and others in major towns....sadly doesnt look like Lamphun has anything....

I use the same link here in Bangkok or sometimes the Movieseer website. Lamphun is quite small so maybe they don't have a movie theatre, but even if they do the movies will almost certainly be dubbed in Thai (like is the case in the somewhat bigger Mueang Lampang).

Sophon

only 2 threatre in chiangmai if i am not wrong. the other is in central kad suan kw, alittle old but less crowded on weekend. check out the vista cinemaae

central kad suan kaew, Does not always have the English sound track. But it is defiantly cheaper.

only 2 threatre in chiangmai if i am not wrong. the other is in central kad suan kaew, alittle old but less crowded on weekend. check out the vista cinema

Would that be the one on the north-western corner of the moat approximaely 2-3 km north of Airport Plaza? If so coming from Lamphun there really isn't any significant difference in travel distance between the two.

We prefer to go to the cinema on a weekday afternoon to avoid the crowds.

Sophon

Nothing closer to Lamphun than Airport Plaza. Avoid the BOGOF offer on Wednesdays.

BOGOF = Buy One Get One Free?

Why avoid this Wednesday offer, I am quite partial to saving money?

Sophon

and try to convince her Saraphi instead of Lamphun, between Chiang Mai and Lamphun, you'll probably appreciate the ease of access to both.

We will actually be moving to a small village in Mae Tha south of Mueang Lamphun. We are looking for a quiet, rural life with a (relatively) large piece of land, so Saraphi is out of our budget. A trip once a week to Chiang Mai will do us fine.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Sophon

only 2 threatre in chiangmai if i am not wrong. the other is in central kad suan kaew, alittle old but less crowded on weekend. check out the vista cinema

Would that be the one on the north-western corner of the moat approximaely 2-3 km north of Airport Plaza? If so coming from Lamphun there really isn't any significant difference in travel distance between the two.

Sophon

Yes

This theater will open soon. It should be close to what you're looking for. It's right off the super highway closer to Lamphun than Airport Plaza. It opens later this year.

http://www.promenadachiangmai.com/

Thanks, it looks interesting and we will definitely check it out. You are right that it's closer to Lamphun than the two other centres, but (according to Google map) all are between 46 and 52 km from where we will be living. So since there really isn't any significant difference in distance, we will probably check them all out and use the one we prefer.

We will probably combine our movie trip with shopping. Where is better for shopping, Central or Airport Plaza? We just need the normal stuff from Big C or Tesco and the occasional bag of liquorice for me smile.png Obviously, until they open we will not know what Promenada will be like.

Sophon

only 2 threatre in chiangmai if i am not wrong. the other is in central kad suan kw, alittle old but less crowded on weekend. check out the vista cinemaae

central kad suan kaew, Does not always have the English sound track. But it is defiantly cheaper.

Interesting. As mentioned, I am always happy to get value for money. How much of a difference is there in ticket prices between the two cinemas?

Sophon

Sophon

Yes

Thanks.

Sophon

This theater will open soon. It should be close to what you're looking for. It's right off the super highway closer to Lamphun than Airport Plaza. It opens later this year.

http://www.promenadachiangmai.com/

Marginally closer, but could also be a good option. (When driving up from Mae Tha, I'm not sure the 5 minutes saved matters too much.)

Interesting. As mentioned, I am always happy to get value for money. How much of a difference is there in ticket prices between the two cinemas?

Sophon

Not sure the basic price at the airport is generally 140 baht with a discount on Wednesdays I believe. the other one I very rarely go to being as I don't like it that munch but I have been told 90 baht is there basic price.

Not sure but I believe at the airport you can get a half price discount for old age if you show your passport. I generally buy a card for 2,000 baht that gives me a discount

Both theaters have seats that cost more.

Actually I am eagerly waiting to try the new theater even though I will have to take a song tell.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1