Teenage Girl Dies After Being Hit By Train: Bangkok Asok-Phetchaburi Railroad Crossing

webfact

Teenage girl dies after being hit by train

image_201205211038386D79A9B5-FEBE-94B2-5A091215C0C00FF4.jpg

BANGKOK, May 21--- A woman was hit and killed by an oncoming train in downtown Bangkok on Monday morning as she crossed the Asok-Phetchaburi railroad crossing.

The body of Budreeyah U-ngarmsil, 18, was retrieved from a wheel mounting of train No. 283 outbound from Bangkok to Chon Buri’s Plutaluang after being hit by the train during the morning rush hour on Asok-Montri Road near the Airport Rail Link’s Makkasan station.

A preliminary investigation found that Ms Budreeyah walked onto the Asok-Phetchaburi railroad crossing and stood in the middle of the track when a siren sounded warning that the train was coming. She was hit and died instantly.

Police are continuing to investigate the cause of the accident. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-05-21

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how come she was walking in the middle of the track while a train was approaching ? Its not very clear to me .... anyway sorry for this girl to lose her life in such tragic way,

"Ms Budreeyah walked onto the Asok-Phetchaburi railroad crossing and stood in the middle of the track"

• Like 1

"Police are continuing to investigate the cause of the accident."

BF / GF issues?

Maybe she was deaf! If she did it intentionally there could be any number of reasons why. Anyway Condolences to her family and hopefully a child hasn't lost its mother.

It's just speculation on a story that surely is going to change or at least become more complete in subsequent reporting, but could it be she committed suicide? I mean, she allegedly STOOD in the middle of the railroad track - and trains surely do not approach at Mach 2, do they?

I know that crossing very well. You have to climb over the tracks to get from Makkasan airport link station to Petchaburi MRT station (or vice versa). First thing I do before crossing is looking left and right to see if there's a train coming or not. But I do see many others who are just waltzing on without checking.

Sadly this happens all the time in Australia, both suicidal and accidental.

The difference is you don't hear about the 1000's of suicides that happen each year in Australia as the media is prohibited from reporting on it (for good reason)

RIP

Edited by jampola

It pays to read carefully. The phrasing in the report clearly indicates suicide. Only another different account of what happened, from another source, or an update from the same source, could challenge that conclusion.

I do not want to sound cold, or as if I have no compassion, but Thai people are simply not taught how to cross the road, or merge into traffic. I cannot tell you how many times I am driving on a main boulevard or main road, and someone merges into traffic and is not even looking my way. They simple drive into the road without looking. As if they are bulletproof. As if nothing in the world could hurt them. As if they could survive a passing cement truck, no problem. No concern for either their own well being, that of their passengers, or that of the person about to collide into them. What is up with that? Where are the driving skills in the LOS?

Sadly this is what they learn in driving school.

He who comes first wins...

• Like 1

....I cannot tell you how many times I am driving on a main boulevard or main road, and someone merges into traffic and is not even looking my way. They simple drive into the road without looking. As if they are bulletproof. As if nothing in the world could hurt them. As if they could survive a passing cement truck, no problem. No concern for either their own well being, that of their passengers, or that of the person about to collide into them. What is up with that? Where are the driving skills in the LOS?

Contrary to standard right-of-way laws in other countries and common sense, the merging traffic has right of way here in Thailand. Maybe the law was originally drafted to allow buffalo carts to ease onto tracks but nowadays, despite the fact that the only buffalo's you will encounter are behind the wheel, the same law still applies to main roads and motorways.

I do not want to sound cold, or as if I have no compassion, but Thai people are simply not taught how to cross the road, or merge into traffic. I cannot tell you how many times I am driving on a main boulevard or main road, and someone merges into traffic and is not even looking my way. They simple drive into the road without looking. As if they are bulletproof. As if nothing in the world could hurt them. As if they could survive a passing cement truck, no problem. No concern for either their own well being, that of their passengers, or that of the person about to collide into them. What is up with that? Where are the driving skills in the LOS?

Thai's are not taught critical thinking skills. She is an example of that fact. RIP young lady.

The difference is you don't hear about the 1000's of suicides that happen each year in Australia as the media is prohibited from reporting on it (for good reason)

RIP

Is that really true???? Prohibited from reporting? I never heard this before!

I forgot to add my sympathies to the crew in the cab whose last image was the face of a troubled teenager as she vanished to her death under the train.

Since trains at that location are slow moving it must have seemed to them to happen in slow motion.

Edited by ratcatcher

I do not want to sound cold, or as if I have no compassion, but Thai people are simply not taught how to cross the road,

I don't know about in the big smoke but out here in the sticks I see parents standing by the side of the road with their kid in their arms pointing out the cars going by.

Seems the first words they learn are "rot mar".

• Like 1

how come she was walking in the middle of the track while a train was approaching ? Its not very clear to me .... anyway sorry for this girl to lose her life in such tragic way,

Perhaps reading the article would make it more clear that she wasn't walking;

A preliminary investigation found that Ms Budreeyah walked onto the Asok-Phetchaburi railroad crossing and stood in the middle of the track when a siren sounded warning that the train was coming. She was hit and died instantly.
Edited by Kilgore Trout

RIP

Can you please post your verifiable statistics,reports and or other documented evidence for your above statements? I worked in Australia for many years in this area and I am not to pleased about being lied to by all of the government agencies, welfare groups and emergency services that I was involved in!!!!

Ok first yes it's a sad story and all human life is precious. That being said.... I see it as a suicide or Darwinism at its best. If suicide that is sad. If not then, How the F$%k do you NOT see a train Coming at you when your STANDING ON the frigging tracks honey. Stupid is as stupid does. Also to Mr. High speed police man... Investigation, really? LOL

Perhaps reading the article would make it more clear that she wasn't walking;

;)

I forgot to add my sympathies to the crew in the cab whose last image was the face of a troubled teenager as she vanished to her death under the train.

Since trains at that location are slow moving it must have seemed to them to happen in slow motion.

Rat,

Agreed, poor girl but I feel worse for the crew. What a nasty mess And talk about bad dreams... Gives me the shivers.