Cheapest Provider For Data (2X 2 Week Visits)

blorg

I'm going to be in Thailand for 2-3 weeks then visiting Myanmar for a month and then back for another 2 weeks or so. I'll be travelling reasonably directly from the Cambodian to the Malaysian border (I won't be in the north at all.) Cycling, so I expect to spend a reasonable amount of time in the middle of nowhere. My phone is an international Samsung Galaxy Note; I am pretty sure the exact same model as is sold in Thailand.

What is the cheapest provider for data? I really really don't care about voice/SMS rates, to the extent that in Laos I used a data SIM that didn't allow voice at all (Unitel, 1gb = 50,000 kip / 200 baht/month.) Halfway decent coverage is nice but I am not overly concerned about speed. It's nice, but I would prioritise cheap data over speed. Having said that, it would be nice if speed was reasonable, but 128-256kb/s region would probably be fine, I don't need multi-mb/s. (e.g. EDGE is OK.)

I am a bit spoilt coming from Cambodia where I pay $5 (150 baht) for 2gb/month (Cellcard) and get 2mb/s; I know Thailand is going to be a hell of a lot more expensive but ideally I am looking for the best deal under say 400 baht/month. 200 baht/month would be even better but I'm not necessarily expecting it to be possible. I would not expect to use over 1gb data/month and I can restrain myself to use less if necessary (I was on a 350mb package in Vietnam.)

Also- as I am visiting for 2 non-contiguous 2-3 week periods a daily or weekly package might work out better for me than a monthly one.

Advice appreciated.

Edited by blorg

Most/all: One-2 Call (AIS), Happy (DTAC), TrueMove H offer daily packages are 49 baht, you get up to 140 MB at 3G then drop to 384 Kbps.

Happy (DTAC) offer a weekly package 199 baht/1 GB at 3G then drops to 384 Kbps.

Maybe easiest to go with TrueMove H? They have the broadest coverage. 1 GB/349 baht for one month. You'll have to manage the top-up/renewal to match your visit(s).

http://www.truemove-h.com/en/prepay/sim/prepay-sim-smartphone.aspx

http://www.truemove-h.com/en/prepay/prepay-topping.aspx

Many thanks for the comprehensive advice, lomatopo.

TrueMove H at 1 GB/349 looks like the best deal for me; even if I only need it for two weeks it seems cheaper than a daily or weekly package.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting an AIS SIM in Aranyaprathet as the shop I found didn't have Truemove. Their pricing actually suits me very well, as they have a weekly plan at 99B for 300mb, but my God the service is woeful. I had better speeds in the middle of nowhere in Vietnam and Cambodia than I get from AIS in central Bangkok. Hell, I had better speeds in Nong Khai using a Lao carrier from across the river. Even when it's showing HSPDA+ connection (much of the time it is on EDGE, and even plain GPRS) I might be getting only an intermittent 30kbps. My battery life has also absolutely nose dived, I presume due to signal strength issues.

Is AIS just really really shit? Would Truemove be much better? I go to Myanmar today, but might get a Truemove SIM on my return. Advice appreciated.

Sorry to hear of your issues with One-2-Call (AIS). It is almost impossible to diagnose/trouble-shoot there types of problems remotely. Assuming you had properly configured the APN, added value, subscribed to a 3G data plan, it seems like you should be able to get more reasonable speeds. It could be an issue with the hardware or baseband?

If you enter *121# and SEND/CALL what is the reply? If you enter *139# SEND/CALL what is the reply?

Maybe best to just set it to 2G? Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Mobile networks, Use only 2G networks (select).

I have always had good luck with One-2-Call EDGE, typically seeing ~ 150 Kbps down in many areas of Thailand.

I am not familiar with battery depletion issues being tied to signal strength? Perhaps this is unique to your platform?

Sorry to hear of your issues with One-2-Call (AIS). It is almost impossible to diagnose/trouble-shoot there types of problems remotely. Assuming you had properly configured the APN, added value, subscribed to a 3G data plan, it seems like you should be able to get more reasonable speeds. It could be an issue with the hardware or baseband?

If you enter *121# and SEND/CALL what is the reply? If you enter *139# SEND/CALL what is the reply?

Maybe best to just set it to 2G? Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Mobile networks, Use only 2G networks (select).

I have always had good luck with One-2-Call EDGE, typically seeing ~ 150 Kbps down in many areas of Thailand.

I am not familiar with battery depletion issues being tied to signal strength? Perhaps this is unique to your platform?

If the device is constantly polling possible 3G signal it uses more battery. Therefore your advice ro turn the phone on 2G was good for the battery lifetime.

Also I'm in impression that the device will adjust it's transmission level based of the signal it receives from the tower. Poor signal drains the battery faster. If the phone is stationary, then the mobile network polls the device every now and then.. just to make sure that the device has not been shut down or left the area. When moving around the device needs to do more work when it searches for better signals and does 'hello I'm here currently, can I connect to you?' handshakes to the new towers it meets.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies, I missed them at the time (I think I have to do something to turn on email notifications?)

I was only in Thailand for three days, just getting a flight out, but on my return I got a True SIM and it is incomparably better. Still probably worse (and certainly more expensive) than Cambodia or Vietnam, but it is actually usable. I get 3G in basically 100% of Bangkok (I set the phone to 3G only, and have not lost signal ever.)