Electronics Technician Who Can Think Outside The Box

pipo1000

I have a wireless security system ( Visonic ) which I brought from Europe and from which the central panel is faulty.I have contacted the manufacturer about the problem,but they say they never repair,due to the high costs involved and advise to buy a new panel.Of course I can only buy this in Europe and then have to get it here,which involves a special import license since there is radio frequency involved.

I'm almost sure that the problem is the ac power control chip,which should not be a problem as the same chip or power control board are probably used in some other appliances.

So here starts the issue.I have visited many electronic repair shops including Amorn,Numchai.Siam Commintr,the one on soi town in town and the one on Pattaya thai opposite the yellow bank.All have a simple look at it and when they don't see the name Philips or Panasonic on the unit they react immediately that they can not repair.

As I said already,I suspect a power control board to be in some other appliances,it is not like the cpu or something which will be specific to this unit.

Of course we all know that Thais are not taught to think outside the box,but I assume that there must be some out there who at least agree to open the unit and have a look at it before saying that they can not repair.

Your suggestions are welcomed.

Many will agree to open it, they just will not do anything with it.

i can only suggest and i realize its a rather useless suggestion, but is to get a new one.

or if you willing to spend the money post it back to your home country, have it fixed and post back, but i think new is the way to go

there is a guy in tukcom who repairs motherboards, graphic cards etc

he has done both for me

he is on the floor above the mobile phone store

he is on the left side as you look to the front of the building from the up escalator

he is the only one in the building that does this kind of work

so if you ask the computer guys who fixes motherboards in Tukcom

then you will find him

other than that you could get a second hand example like yours on Ebay

i just looked and there are some on Ebay Uk

good luck!

he has done both for me

he is on the left side as you look to the front of the building from the up escalator

then you will find him

good luck!

Thanks for the advise,I will try out the guy at Tukcom.

I know they are available on Ebay and online shops in the UK,but I'm afraid that I will be prone to the customs greed as it is wireless which needs a special license.

wink.png Of course you have no manufacturer's documentation or schematic diagrams of the unit?

Is it a seperate power unit that could be replaced?

If so that power unit could be removed and a new unit installed.

No RF license involved there....just a replacement part,

The problem will be part numbers and finding a replacement part or parts. Might be a manufactuers part number which can't be referenced to anything else.

Almost surely built in somwhere like China or another Asian country....but finding who and replacement parts will be a big hassle.

Some kind of documentation or schematic diagrams would be first step....so you're not searching blindly about.

"Old school" troubleshooting is a bit of a lost art in these days of throw-away electronics.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

wink.png Of course you have no manufacturer's documentation or schematic diagrams of the unit?

Is it a seperate power unit that could be replaced?

If so that power unit could be removed and a new unit installed.

No RF license involved there....just a replacement part,

The problem will be part numbers and finding a replacement part or parts. Might be a manufactuers part number which can't be referenced to anything else.

Almost surely built in somwhere like China or another Asian country....but finding who and replacement parts will be a big hassle.

Some kind of documentation or schematic diagrams would be first step....so you're not searching blindly about.

"Old school" troubleshooting is a bit of a lost art in these days of throw-away electronics.

whistling.gif

Visonic is one of the major players in wireless security systems and is owned by Tyco.I have had several contacts with them and they say they never repair.I have also contact with the Thai dealer,but they use 434 Mhz while mine is 868 Mhz,and they say the headoffice doesn't supply them with spare parts.

No source also for a circuit diagram

what makes you think it's a power supply issue, these things usually only need +5v and +12v, is it all one circuit board or seperate power unit ? best option is a TV repair guy - there are many in pattaya - one on soi beokow north end

what makes you think it's a power supply issue, these things usually only need +5v and +12v, is it all one circuit board or seperate power unit ? best option is a TV repair guy - there are many in pattaya - one on soi beokow north end

The power control is a seperate small circuit board,and I suspect this to be the culprit judging from the symptoms that lead to it's current condition.

It works on 9V AC and a back up battery of 9.6V DC.Took it to several TV guys already,Numchai - Siamkomintr- Amorn etc.but they look at it from the outside,see no familiar brandname and say can not repair.

As I said,I took it to well known shops already with the above result,now I'm looking for one that doesn't stare himself blind onn the brandname.

The power control is a seperate small circuit board,and I suspect this to be the culprit judging from the symptoms that lead to it's current condition.

It works on 9V AC and a back up battery of 9.6V DC.Took it to several TV guys already,Numchai - Siamkomintr- Amorn etc.but they look at it from the outside,see no familiar brandname and say can not repair.

As I said,I took it to well known shops already with the above result,now I'm looking for one that doesn't stare himself blind onn the brandname.

that is good that it is seperate

what happens is the unit gets supplied with 9vac from mains with backup from battery, the mains AC is coverted to DC (same as battery supply) then this is processed through a power converter to produce the operating voltages of the units circuitry - DC - DC covertor

Have you actually tried reading a few voltages or is this beyond your expertise

Like I said there's a guy on soi beokow coming in from the north end on the left hand side, he may be able to faultfind the unit for you - otherwise you're kindoff shafted, it's more trouble than it's worth to start sourcing none off the shelf components if they are required

There is a TV repair shop on the south side of Teppasit Road, very slightly east of the 7/11 which is about midway between Sukumvit and Thappaya road. A computer friend of mine suggested him, and says the guy is an absolute wizard when it comes to fixing all electronics stuff including computers. . I remember a study that came out years ago, which said TV repairmen had the highest IQ of any profession in America.... :-)

Is it possible for you to open it up yourself and remove the part that you think is the problem and then hawk that around the shops to see if they have one?

You may also find a manufacturers part number on it to search on the internet? Try Alibaba

Good luck in this country !

(by the way the OP already visited Amorn and Amorn only knows about washing machines 555)

That's not true at all. They fix all sorts of small electronics like digital cameras, radios, and just about anything else I have brought in there. They are a proper service center. When you walk in, the service center is on the left.

Is it possible for you to open it up yourself and remove the part that you think is the problem and then hawk that around the shops to see if they have one?

You may also find a manufacturers part number on it to search on the internet? Try Alibaba

Second that.

If they are not interested because there is no recognizable name on the box just show them the faulty part that doesn't work.

smile.png

You can try powering the board for a minute or so with a regular 9V battery or el-cheapo adapter instead of the backup battery and see if the thing lights up at all. If that works, it's indeed probably the power supply which would be trivial to repair, replace with something similar or rebuild.

You can try powering the board for a minute or so with a regular 9V battery or el-cheapo adapter instead of the backup battery and see if the thing lights up at all. If that works, it's indeed probably the power supply which would be trivial to repair, replace with something similar or rebuild.

There is no problem with the power supply or the back up battery,they have both been extensively checked.The unit will start up but in a condition that seems like it doesn't get the power it needs,which makes it freeze.

<deleted> - go buy yourself an alarm system and stop wasting peoples time here, you have just gone about circle from your original post - sounds like a troll - do you need attention

unsubscribed from this BS

<deleted> - go buy yourself an alarm system and stop wasting peoples time here, you have just gone about circle from your original post - sounds like a troll - do you need attention

unsubscribed from this BS

Excuse me sir,you pretend yourself to be an acknowledged individu,so I assume you know the difference between a powersupply and a power control unit.Or don't you?

he has done both for me

then you will find him

good luck!

I visited yesterday the guy at Tukcom you mentioned and he spent a good 3 hours on the unit,but unfortunately couldn't get it fixed.

He really tried but couldn't locate the actual problem without a circuit diagram.

I might be able to fix it for you but I need more info. A detailed photo of the power board so that I can identify the components would help.

In case nobody else can help you send me a PM.

A circuit board picture would be helpful.

Some pictures have been sent to both of you by PM,let's hope you're able to help me out.