Lady Gaga Fans Gush, Critics Blast Fake-Watch Tweet: Bangkok

webfact

Why would she be admired for anything...immoral and without conscience; it does indicate what the west has become..truly decadent; she is just but one of the agents to spread this decadence. May God have mercy on you...because I would not.

Hey she does sometimes wear a burka ... sort of

83784446-lady-gaga.jpg

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With Lady Gaga really being a dude in drag, I am surprised she didn't make a comment about ladyboys. laugh.png

She's fully female. Born that way. Still that way.

Is she the typical girl next door? Umm ... no.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

The real insult was not the Rolex comment but the fact that she called her Thai fans; "Monsters". It is utterly nonsense to think that a remark over fake Rolexes damages the name of Thailand. Without the non existing fake Rolexes, the puritan Massage Parlours, the counterfeit football jerseys and the drugs no tourist would bother visiting Thailand. There is something awfully off when general practices of the Thai Mafia are highlighted by foreigners.

No no noooooo. People come here for the temples and stuff... ;)

Why would any Thai be upset about this comment? The should be upset about there being so many fake goods available.

On the other hand, why would Lady GaGa make such a comment when she is from New York and fake Rolex watches are available all over the place.

Because New York isn't associated with fake goods while Thailand is seen as the veritable hub of fake products, the fake Rolex being the iconic item brought back from a holiday in Bangkok...

Yes there are fakes available in most Western cities but the vendors are kept in the streets and regularly have to dodge the BiB, here they openly rent stalls/ shops and just provide the BiB a cut of the profits if they are ever even approached by them...

Then you need to consider where are all of these fakes being produced? Hint, it's not in New York or London or the production costs would be approaching the real thing!

They are openly sold on the streets in NY as well as small convenience stores. There are a number of ways they get around the law and one big one is that nobody believes they are real when they are sold for $20 and the vendors don't make any claims to them being real. But of course NY is not known as well as Thailand for knock offs. Point being is the comment was clearly not about Rolex watches and she was trying to make another point though I am not clear if it was to show she doesn't care or to bring to put attention on the issue.

Keep in mind that these twitter users that have huge followings are often paid big for some tweets and this certainly could have been a tweet concocted by the record companies and her reps.

I think you're reading a bit too what may well have been simply a flippant jibe; you asked why would she would make such a comment about fake Rolex in Thailand when she is from New York, where fake Rolex are available... you have your answer, up to you if you wish to take on board the fact that Thailand is seen as a centre for counterfeit goods or conclude that actually she was really alluding to music copyrights (a point made in Thailand why? Because of the fact that Thailand is seen as a centre for counterfeit goods). The motivation doesn't change the reasoning behind making that comment on arrival in Thailand as opposed to any other country...

The real insult was not the Rolex comment but the fact that she called her Thai fans; "Monsters". It is utterly nonsense to think that a remark over fake Rolexes damages the name of Thailand. Without the non existing fake Rolexes, the puritan Massage Parlours, the counterfeit football jerseys and the drugs no tourist would bother visiting Thailand. There is something awfully off when general practices of the Thai Mafia are highlighted by foreigners.

All her fans are called monsters. Case closed.

Obviously not even a partial follower of pop culture.

i dunno, id hit it if i could.

and telephone is a masterpiece of cheeky product placement.

I see gaga as satire.

I remember the first video when it came out and it was brilliant. sardonic sexy parody.

as marshall mcluhan said: "the medium is the message"

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

With Lady Gaga really being a dude in drag, I am surprised she didn't make a comment about ladyboys. laugh.png

Next ...

Though her first night visit on arrival was the Ladyboys Cabaret.

Communing with others who have re-invented their own selves from the ground up.

Why would she be admired for anything...immoral and without conscience; it does indicate what the west has become..truly decadent; she is just but one of the agents to spread this decadence. May God have mercy on you...because I would not.

She is a friend's cousin, she is not immoral, she is a great showman,

doing what pop stars do, shock the previous generations.

I don't care for her present music that much, even though it fits the market perfectly,

but I certainly admire her fearless chutspa.

Really... I can't believe people taking offense at this woman. Pop has always been about sex, drinking, drugs, rock and shock.

• Like 1

Why would any Thai be upset about this comment? The should be upset about there being so many fake goods available.

On the other hand, why would Lady GaGa make such a comment when she is from New York and fake Rolex watches are available all over the place.

Because New York isn't associated with fake goods while Thailand is seen as the veritable hub of fake products, the fake Rolex being the iconic item brought back from a holiday in Bangkok...

Yes there are fakes available in most Western cities but the vendors are kept in the streets and regularly have to dodge the BiB, here they openly rent stalls/ shops and just provide the BiB a cut of the profits if they are ever even approached by them...

Then you need to consider where are all of these fakes being produced? Hint, it's not in New York or London or the production costs would be approaching the real thing!

They are openly sold on the streets in NY as well as small convenience stores. There are a number of ways they get around the law and one big one is that nobody believes they are real when they are sold for $20 and the vendors don't make any claims to them being real. But of course NY is not known as well as Thailand for knock offs. Point being is the comment was clearly not about Rolex watches and she was trying to make another point though I am not clear if it was to show she doesn't care or to bring to put attention on the issue.

Keep in mind that these twitter users that have huge followings are often paid big for some tweets and this certainly could have been a tweet concocted by the record companies and her reps.

I think you're reading a bit too what may well have been simply a flippant jibe; <snip>

You may very well be right but the more I thought about this, it is usually not even the case for people of her popularity to even make their own twitter posts. I've never looked at her feed but would lean towards believing she doesn't make her own tweets. On the other hand, unlike most artists, Lady Gaga seems to have a very good grasp on marketing herself and she may do her own tweets.

'Manufactured outrage to create stories and hype and website traffic. A handful of people made comments on twitter, oh noes! 99% of Thais don't give a $%#@ what she said. No one is boycotting. No one is protesting her like they did in other countries. No one cares. The only thing most Thais would think is that it is very strange for a rich celebrity to want to buy a fake watch, as that is something for poor people. Most Thais wouldn't understand how it could be a novelty item for a rich foreigner.'

Couldn't have put it better myself. It's actually quite amusing (if a little tirmsome) to watch all the usual suspects (the bitter twisted folk that hate living here but haven't got the balls to leave) react to the Thai Visa spin. Good for generating web traffic but making the site's content very predictable these days.

What I find quite amusing (if a little tiresome) are the the people who

1) often fail to admit that the country they live in has all manner of problems that they have no control over

2) make the infantile assumption that anyone who lives in Thailand and who doesn't like or levels criticism against certain aspects of Thailand is somehow unable to leave or wants to leave or is silly enough to actually believe that if they live in a place, they should be happy and/or accepting of everything that goes on around them

3) people who are predisposed to an (often quite self-serving) philosophy which encourages them to interpret negative things in a society (so long as they are not directly and negatively impacted) as positive or which encourages them to be indifferent at every opportunity because they know that being truly aware of what's going on around them is much more challenging to deal with. Some people call these kinds of people 'selfish cowards' -- although I don't, of course.

It's certainly much easier to sit back in a nice condo with a nice job or perhaps in healthy retirement and try to interpret crappy things in Thailand as being OK. While looking out of my 15th floor condo window, observing a row of street vendors baking in the sun slaving away for what, under proper circumstances of mental health, I would call meager, I think to myself --

"Look at those wonderful street vendors happily working away in their traditional ways earning a good living. They certainly do look happier than the people exploiting them. Yeah, now I feel better about the whole thing. Let me put some ice in my imported craft ale and relax a bit. Maybe later I'll go down and buy a meal for 30 baht. Not sure why they are always look at me funny when I walk over with my constant (if condescending) smile. I want them to feel that we are equals; that's why I do it."

Oh, in fact, it's not a whole lot different from the Hi-So Thais who spend so much energy convincing themselves that they live in the same Thailand as their Thai servants. Same same.

** If one looks around the web, one will find all manner of stories by different agencies covering this very story. I've seen several, and I find no significant spin in the TV one.

Well written reply and some points you make are certainly valid, however, your arguement is misplaced in response to my post because it needn't go as deep as that my friend.

I still (after reading this thread) stand fastly by my assertion that Thai visa these days has more than its fair share of bitter, twisted folk that really need to leave Thailand because they obviously aren't able to adapt.

I'm all in favour of having sensible discussions about the rights and wrongs of my adopted homeland (and often do). However, I don't consider the vast majority of the posts that I read from the 'moaners' that I'm referring to as sensible. I consider the majority of them infantile (to quote an adjective you used in your post)........wai.gif

wai.gif

Next ...

Though her first night visit on arrival was the Ladyboys Cabaret.

Communing with others who have re-invented their own selves from the ground up.

To be clear in case it was not obvious -- it was a joke based on all those rumors and pictures on the net suggesting she is a dude and has a penis.

Fake watches are sold here in Thailand and that's a fact. Maybe if DJ Suharit Siamwalla feels so strongly about this, he should campaign to stop fake merchandise being sold in Thailand. He is a DJ after all, so he would have a lot of clout and influence.

How brave and loyal some of these nationalists are when it comes to sticking up for their country and people. Just say good things all the time, and never address the real issues which would actually help this country and these people you love so much. Hypocrisy and ignorance and its very best.

vI wonder why Thais get upset about the mentioning of faked Rolex watches. Did any Thai get annoyed with the selection of genuine Rolex’ Chuvit kept in his desk to please the BIB when they came for occasional visits? Oh, I forgot that is Thai culture…

Faked watches and Gucci bags are much more iconic items of Thai culture than Tuc Tuc (originated in Japan) and Som Tam (papaya was introduced to Thailand during WW II).

It's really the Thais who are showing themselves in a bad light by making such a fuss over a twittering plastic pop star. Then again plastic pop what they seem to like here.

Lady Gaga is seen as famous for being seen rather like Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton or Posh Spice.

Edited by bigbamboo

&lt;deleted&gt; - is their some kind of news-famine going on ? Of all the things in the LOS that the citizens might get upset about, does anyone seriously believe that many Thais would be offended by that off-the-cuff remark ? Bloody ridiculous fuss about nothing. Or another publicity-stunt, as if any were needed.

• Like 1

All her fans are called monsters. Case closed.

Spot on Jingthing, in fact in many of her venues around the world there is a "Monster Pit" where many of her die hard fans queue for hours to get into.

I suspect the 50,000 people attending the concert tonight will have the time of their lives.

Speaking of copies, it would be curious to know actual revenues of Lady Gaga music (original) in Thailand. I suspect small given most people don't pay for anything original here. So her concerts here are already sold out, there's revenue there. I don't really see how publicity, positive or not, really benefits her commercially in Thailand either way.

It's really the Thais who are showing themselves in a bad light by making such a fuss over a twittering plastic pop star. Then again plastic pop what they seem to like here.

Lady Gaga is seen as famous for being seen rather like Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton or Posh Spice.

um, and the body of work, hit songs, world tours, tv appearances, concerts, and videos are nothing?

forgive me but unless you are thick as a post (which i suspect is the case) , surely you can differentiate between a couple of skanks who made sex tapes, were born wealthy and just happened to show the world their hoo-hahs and someone who writes and performs her own music while becoming a cultural icon.

As for posh, she was part of a manufactured pop concept that took off, but so were the sex pistols and every other boy band ever to see the limelight.

They are sooooooooooo pathetic, ranting away about the Thai image on their laptops with cracked OS........

Actually I recently bought a laptop that came without an OS. The store, one of Thailand biggest electrical retailers not only offered to install a pirated OS they were unable to tell me where I could buy a genuine OS.

Are you certain that you did not end up with an iPhad ?? giggle.gif

The new marketing logo for the TAT "Thais are proud to be....Born This Way" with some photos of ordinary society(monk purchasing cds at pantip, ladyboys, gogo girls in schoolgirl attire, angry chuwit running a clean campign in the doorway of one of his finer establishments of afternoon delight....this could be a voluminous campaign).

Thanks Gaga for keepin it real, don't let the slave drivers here rock your ride.

GAGA FOR THAI MINISTER OF TOURISM POST!

Have to disagree with you on this one. She worked her way up in the music business and has an outstanding voice. Not into all the funky chicken dance moves she's got going on but to each their own. Sex tapes got Paris and Kartrashian famous and Poofy Spice could dance around a bit. Please keep up! These are important issues. thumbsup.gif

Maybe I have lived in a cave all my life but I can honestly say I have never ever seen or heard GaGa perform and think I have only seen her twice on TV, once being last night on the news as she arrived in BKK. Have I missed anything? ...... I don't think so.

Check out her video 'Telephone' on You tube. You might not like it but I think you could admit It's a piece of art.

[media=]

[/media]

I like it.. and her body is truly a piece of art. I also think she has talent.

LMAO!! Score one for the home team. Great comment. I'm starting to admire Gaga now.

Many were angered by the singer's remark on Twitter, where she has 24 million followers. Some fans called it offensive, insulting and bad for the Thailand's image.

What is worse for Thailand's image is ... all the stuff that happens in Thailand like the sizzling illegal goods trade that has been going on long enough (say the past 2 decades) that it is world renowned. Thank goodness she didn't mention anything about the sex trade or this little country would have been up in arms. They are so overly sensitive here about image. Here's a tip: if you are worried about your image, then CLEAN IT UP.

These comments would tend to come from two kinds of Thai people.

1) the moneyed, English-speaking, partially foreign educated Thais who MUST refuse to believe that Thailand is still in the dark ages so that they can justify their position in what they want to believe is a modern, fair, competitive and open society. They certainly do live in a Thailand completely different form most of the other population.

2) the terribly educated but deeply nationalistic Somchai who probably can't tell you one important recent event about any country outside of Thailand that doesn't involve consumerism. This Somchai is very deeply proud of most anything Thai and seems to find it very difficult to find anything in the Kingdom to criticize.

"We are more civilised than you think," tweeted DJ Suharit Siamwalla

Actually, no, you are not, and, if you actually knew what most of the world thinks of you, you might REALLY be upset.

"She came to our home, but instead of admiring us she insulted us,"

Well, it is what it is.

It takes Lady Gaga to wake these people up! Where have they been all of there lives?

• Like 1

Lady Gaga is a very young person without any important background of studies at university. She does not know Thailand, she does not care, she did not intend to be offensive. She is an excellent professional making a poor joke, that's it. She just repeats what she heard. Within 3 days, she'll have forgotten all about Thailand.

I think you're insulting Ms Gaga's intelligence.

The first school I worked at in Bangkok had close links with a certain deposed PM. There was a picture of him in the library walking through a market in which every stall was peddling fake watches. I'm sure there are similar pics of other former PMs and high ranking officials glad-handing the locals and ignoring the fact that they are flaunting copyright laws and selling counterfeit goods. It's just not an issue here...until a foreigner points it out. Love this gaga story and the hysterical reaction which only makes them look sillier. Get over yourself (certain) people of Thailand, you're shady and flaunt laws and that's what you are known and loved for!

they should be bitching about being called "farung" since the correct word is "farang"

Depends what phonetics you use I guess, I've seen a couple of variants, but who cares as long everyone knows what's meant. wink.png

Thais would probably bother less about being called "Asians" than "Chings", the latter would mean "chinese", right? wink.png

Again good post. As there is no 'official' standard transliteration from Thai to Roman script, although 'farang' is the most widely used transliteration, 'farung' is not incorrect.

Really? not that it matters, but please do provide a source for such spellingwhistling.gif