How Much Chance That I Will Get My Things Back?

susanschwaiger

I was robbed of my handbag in Soi 16/2, Naklua Rd on Monday eve.

I reported to police next day. Inside my bag, there are also lots of keys/ IC cards besides the money and handy.

Anyone has experience: Any chance that I will get my things back? (am not optimistic )

And, since there are some of my husband's business cards in the bag, will the robbers be "kind" enough to post the remaining things to the company? In my country, sometimes, this sort of things happen.

Alas.... bad luck indeed....

Pattaya Police station has a lost and found tray of smaller items but your case is considered to be in Banglamung station jurisdiction and I have not seen such a tray there. In any event, the experience is that if you lost something there is a chance of a good samaritan returning it but if it is stolen then probably you will never see those items again. It could be that items not felt worth keeping might be tossed away and someone finds it and turns it in but that would be very rare.

Extremely sorry for your horrednus experience, main thing is you are ok and the items can be replaced....as for people laughing and mocking your post, shame on them rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your kindness. Yes, I am lucky because my 4 month old baby inside me is not injured. In fact, I just returned from China last weekend. And I decided to take a walk because it is good for pregnant woman. The robbery happened only at 7:30PM !!!!!!! Not far away from my condo... In the past, I often go around with motorbike. So I never expected this will happen. Quite frightened and shocked.

To those who laugh at me, maybe you will never understand. Even among the robbers/thieves, there are different levels. In my country, some thieves post back the remaining (some will even write a note ), because they really only need money (maybe they are really poor and need money badly), and they know how anxious the owner will be if he loses his very important docs, stuff etc... For me, inside my bag, there are some stuff which is not expensive at all, but very dear to me..... . Of course, not all robbers/thieves are so "noble" and keep the bottom line of morality....

Well, also thanks for the remind of another guy. Now I will go to report to the police station on Naklua Rd.

• Like 1

Nothing to add by way of advice Susan. Just wish to say i hope you get your items back, even though unlikely. :( I am very glad for you and your baby that you are ok. Take care.

• Like 1

If you had a mobile in the things stolen The police can track the area the phone made it to through GPS beacon sent out by the phone. You need to know the IMIE #'s & they can track your phone & your usage if they use your simcard. it took 2 days for them to catch the kamoies that got us. They are in the pokey for 11 years as they pulled a fake 45 cal on us.You most likely will not get anything back all we got back is a busted camera good enough to recover pics of the perps smoking Yabba & The phone that they tracked the idiots that stole it.There is no restitution so even if you catch them the most you can do is send them to jail

Good luck

• Like 2

Sad to hear, i think you should buy a belt instead of handbag for replacement in Thailand.

And i don't think there is any hope of having the thieves sending you back anything at all, only a very small hope police catch them real soon with the stuff still in possession

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

One post removed,

For the information of the person whose post I removed. I remember the case where Beardog was robbed and attacked with a dummy gun also beaten with a frying pan and yes they were traced and yes they got 11 years.

• Like 1

One post removed,

For the information of the person whose post I removed. I remember the case where Beardog was robbed and attacked with a dummy gun also beaten with a frying pan and yes they were traced and yes they got 11 years.

Do you have proof that he was sentaced for 11 years ? or you just going on what beardog wrote

I was just posting a response to the post you've just removed Rimmer, and got blocked. A good piece of moderation (am I allowed to say that?)

While there are some incredibly intelligent criminals in this world, bag snatching is not one of the crimes they tend to lean towards.

And as for 11 years, who knows what kind of previous this low-life scum had, so 11 years is perfectly plausible.

To the OP, I witnessed a bag snatch in Naklua about 10 years ago now, it didn't quite go as planned and the poor (female) victim was almost dragged down the road by the offenders, all rather nasty. I am glad you and your baby are at least physically unharmed, and good luck to you in getting your things back, although I don't hold out too much hope for that.

One post removed,

Do you have proof that he was sentaced for 11 years ? or you just going on what beardog wrote

I reported the case in Pattaya News Clippings. Now let that be an end to it.

• Like 1

When i first came to live in Pattaya over 10 Years ago, I was watched at an ATM machine where i drew out 2 lots of cash a Total of 38.000 bt. I was then followed approx 6 kms and when i got off the bike, my bag was snatched by two young looking Thai thugs, (they were driving behind us all the time, but we did not think anything of it) driving an old wreck of a bike. It all happened so quickly !!!! Inside my bag was also some personal possessions and even though i filed a complaint at the police station, i never heard anything again about it.

I was scared for weeks as my Thai address was in the bag, but then came to the conclusion that the thieves would be more scared than me, and no way, would they dare make an appearance.

I certainly learnt my lesson the hard way, with regards to the type of bags i buy now, i will not go out unless i have a body bag going over my body or a bum bag under my clothes.

I am glad to hear that you are ok, you are very brave to walk alone, i walk my dog alone but only within close distance from my house and my partner keeps popping out to see if i am ok, this is after 10 years.....

Good luck, i hope you get some of your things back, but i very much doubt it really unfortunately.

• Like 1

I was robbed of my handbag in Soi 16/2, Naklua Rd on Monday eve.

I reported to police next day. Inside my bag, there are also lots of keys/ IC cards besides the money and handy.

Anyone has experience: Any chance that I will get my things back? (am not optimistic )

And, since there are some of my husband's business cards in the bag, will the robbers be "kind" enough to post the remaining things to the company? In my country, sometimes, this sort of things happen.

Alas.... bad luck indeed....

Where are you from? Sounds nice.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

One post removed,

Oh we still have their papers of each of 3 adullts serving a total of 11 years & the juvenile Sentenced for 1 & 1/2 years due to a previous botched robbery.

Number 5 is still at large ..Yea I am that guy it happened to It is also archieved in Pattaya news!

Like all countries a robbery with a gun fake or not usually buys around a 20 year stint.

Edited by Beardog

Sorry to hear about your bagsnatch, these crimes can be very traumatic.

A similar thing happened to my GF in Australia years back. She lost her bag with personal items in.

I searched the surrounding laneways, looking over each back fence, and 20 minutes later found her bag, minus purse, on the roof of a carport one street away, which was very lucky.

It is not uncommon for thieves to ditch what they have stolen as quick as possible, when it comes to bags etcera, esp. if they just want the cash and sellable items.

It has been a few days, but someone might be able to have a look around the area, maybe ask about, look into a nook or cranny?

It might seem like a longshot, but you never know.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your bagsnatch, these crimes can be very traumatic.

A similar thing happened to my GF in Australia years back. She lost her bag with personal items in.

I searched the surrounding laneways, looking over each back fence, and 20 minutes later found her bag, minus purse, on the roof of a carport one street away, which was very lucky.

It is not uncommon for thieves to ditch what they have stolen as quick as possible, when it comes to bags etcera, esp. if they just want the cash and sellable items.

It has been a few days, but someone might be able to have a look around the area, maybe ask about, look into a nook or cranny?

It might seem like a longshot, but you never know.

We had our house in Pattaya burglarized a few years ago. They didn't catch the guy that did it but he left his back pack in the house when he ran off. Inside the bag they found a couple of pawn tickets so we got those items back (golf clubs, TV) but little else.

The thief was killed in a motorcycle accident a couple of months later so that was my day in court.

Look in pawn shops would be my suggestion but there are so many of them it would be a tremendous undertaking.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I`m sorry to hear your report.

I live in naklua and it seems certain areas are attracting opportunistic thieves.

I was walking back along either soi 16/1 or 16/2 and witnessed a motorbike thief rob a Russian lady walking her baby in stroller, happened so fast there would be no time to react or prevent the robbery.

Very sad to witness the effect it has.

Reading so many of these reports of late, that when I do see someone walking along these Sois late at night, I want to stop and offer them a lift to their destination. Though of course I am aware that action could cause anxiety on it's own.

• Like 1

Susan, By way of a ray of hope; my wife had her bag snatched last year near Tuk Com and 1 week later her driving licence, credit cards and other assorted plastic turned up in our mail box.

• Like 1

I live in naklua and it seems certain areas are attracting opportunistic thieves.

I was walking back along either soi 16/1 or 16/2 and witnessed a motorbike thief rob a Russian lady walking her baby in stroller, happened so fast there would be no time to react or prevent the robbery.

It is a shame that in such a international holiday city like Pattaya, the police cameras are not widely installed and used. That is why again and again these sort of robberies happen.

If this kind of robbery happens back in my hometown, normally it will only take a few hours for the police to catch the criminal because almost every street and corner has camera. Pattaya government really should do more efforts!!!!

I also feel hard to understand why so many retired farangs want to settle down here. This place is even dangerous for young and strong people. It lacks the basic security feeling of life. I know here are many good thai people, but those very bad thais can easily destroy your good impression and leave the nightmare haunting you for long time...

Update: last week, a German colleague (young man) was robbed of his iPhone on a Song Tiew. I joked to my hub I need a pistol as a present on my birthdaysick.gif

It is a shame that in such a international holiday city like Pattaya, the police cameras are not widely installed and used. That is why again and again these sort of robberies happen.

If this kind of robbery happens back in my hometown, normally it will only take a few hours for the police to catch the criminal because almost every street and corner has camera. Pattaya government really should do more efforts!!!!

I also feel hard to understand why so many retired farangs want to settle down here. This place is even dangerous for young and strong people. It lacks the basic security feeling of life. I know here are many good thai people, but those very bad thais can easily destroy your good impression and leave the nightmare haunting you for long time...

Update: last week, a German colleague (young man) was robbed of his iPhone on a Song Tiew. I joked to my hub I need a pistol as a present on my birthdaysick.gif

Sorry about your experience.

I am in Wongamat area and have noticed an increased frequency of bag snatches. I walk a lot in the area and have personally seen at least 3 bag snaches (Soi12, Soi14 and Soi16), all involving Russians.

And the funny thing (maybe not) is that the Mayor lives in Soi 12 !

You could try to hire a investgator if you really are motivated because they will do more for you probably than the police have. This or some of the others Cases/stories could happen anywehre in the world , Just learn to play it safer & Glad nobody was hurt..