Can'T Decide Which Device Is Best

Plucky

Hi there. I am currently looking at doing a bit of writing (I know, I know) and am looking at the most cost effective and portable device to get.

I should also mention every now and again I need to configure an invoice.

Ok so I have considered everything from an ipad with Bluetooth keyboard (lack of usb worries me) to a netbook, laptop and even just a high end phone with Bluetooth keyboard (say galaxy 3).

Now the usb point is not a deal breaker but I do sometimes work in pretty remote places with no internet connection and a memory stick has sufficed for transferring data.

And the portability factor comes into play due to the fact I am sometimes travelling 24 hrs straight and the countries involved have numerous sticky fingers in hold luggage so I tend to carry valuables on me.

Could I feasibly do some creative writing on a phone using a Bluetooth keyboard on a Microsoft word document?

All input much appreciated. Oh and no this is not a way to struggle to survive here I have a job but fancy doing some writing to see where it takes me.

All the best.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I'm sure you'll get a ton of answers - that's the problem everyone has their own personal favourites. Ask an iDrone and he'll start foaming at the mouth if you suggest anything other than an iDevice.

Personally I use my laptop for "work" related stuff - a 19" Toshiba (maximum "everything" when I bought it, now pretty run-of-the-mill), my Netbook for mostly the same stuff (Netbook basically for when I'm travelling and don't feel like lugging the Toshiba beast around). SGS2 for twitter, facebook, etc (hardly ever do social media or communications on the laptop or netbook any more). Oh, and a Blackberry...

That's "today"...

I do, however, have an inkling to get a tablet - probably a 10.1 - and frankly I can see myself doing 90% of my "stuff" on that, especially since if I do buy one I'll be buying a docking station & keyboard too. I can see the day coming when I hardly use a Laptop or Netbook at all. The netbook will definitely be obsoleted when I get the tablet.

Basically I see a 10.1" tablet and an SGS3 doing 95% of my stuff in my near future. Blackberry and Netbook binned, and laptop for the odd heavy duty work...

have a windows 7 laptop with 6 cores clocked at 2.6 + 1 gb dedicated graphics card ,640 gb hdd ,and 4GB of ram (more power than i ever use )

samsung galaxy s2 ,(again,more power than i ever use )

at the moment,available power has exceeded demand

i dont know what i could i do with more impressive hardware ,so i think im ok for a year or two or 3

basicaly ,anything can take notes ,a computer from 1995 would fill your requirements so your choices are near umlimited

Kind of leaning towards an ipad with docking/bluetooth keyboard but I am tighter than a ducks arse and all I work on is excel/word/pdf led but a friend mentioned something called fusion for an ipad to combat this.

I am not an apple fan boy and I particularly respect Samsung but dear lordy I had a play with an ipad 2 & 3 today and it is sensational quality. You can see why it took off.

Plus thinking about it my apple ipod has been through hell and still keeps going (cue its imminent death).

Surely a bluetooth keyboard and Samsung galaxy 3?

Last week I bought the daughter an Asus 1025C netbook 10" screen with 320Gb hard disc, N2800 dual core processor, 2Gb RAM and W7 Ultimate and Office 2010 for 10,000 Baht.

Super portable and 2 USB connections, LAN, wifi and bluetooth.

You can get an Acer netbook at Power Buy for under 8,000 Baht.

Last week I bought the daughter an Asus 1025C netbook 10" screen with 320Gb hard disc, N2800 dual core processor, 2Gb RAM and W7 Ultimate and Office 2010 for 10,000 Baht.

I love(d) my netbook for it's flexibility, the one thing I hate about all my devices is for reading books & magazines. One of the reasons i haven't bought a tablet yet is because I remain unconvinced they're a substitute for (e.g.) Kindle or a real book/magazine but I'm leaning towards them being the most viable "all round" devices currently available that'll do almost everything I need - I'm so tired of needing/using multiple devices... It does make sense to me to integrate phone and "ultra portable" hence my S2 (and intent to buy an S3) but I do think I will be able to survive with only two - tablet and smartphone.

Netbooks were a godsend before tablets came along - but now, well, there's a reason they're getting cheaper and cheaper... They're so 2010... :-)

Netbooks were a godsend before tablets came along - but now, well, there's a reason they're getting cheaper and cheaper... They're so 2010... :-)

i would choose a quality Netbook or laptop over a tablet anyday ,especialy if i needed to type a lot and not just play games and media stuff

maybe i m just old fashioned but i would rather a laptop tan an ipad anyday

If there was a fantastic deal on I could be swayed. In Chiang Mai I've tried airport plaza, panthip plaza, computer plaza, electronics centre and tesco lotus but there are no outstanding buys.

Would amazon ship out here and will I get done for import tax (7%)?

i would choose a quality Netbook or laptop over a tablet anyday ,especialy if i needed to type a lot and not just play games and media stuff

Plus the netbook has USB, HDMI and card reader connections so you can plug in a DVD player, SD cards and connect it to the telly to watch HD on a big screen, oh and none of that iTunes BS when you want to do anything with it.

Plus the netbook has USB, HDMI and card reader connections so you can plug in a DVD player, SD cards and connect it to the telly to watch HD on a big screen, oh and none of that iTunes BS when you want to do anything with it.

Yeah I think that's a massive part of the argument. Plus in remote places with no wifi or 3g a tablet is pants.

Just out of interest can I get a Bluetooth keyboard for my Samsung galaxy y? Not a top phone I know. My galaxy 1 and laptop were victims of sticky fingers and I needed a quick replacement. Quite like it though!

During a trip back to the US, I took a touchscreen smartphone. I thought I could get by with it for a few weeks. After a week or so I was sick of it, I stopped in a computer store and bough the first reasonably priced netbook that I saw. I happened to be an HP Mini for $300. The 10 inch display is still a little small but it beats the hell out of the smartphone. It has WiFi and USB ports as well as a memory stick slot.

Tablet screens are fragile and by the time you buy a case to protect the screen, it will be not much different size wise from the netbook except for the tablet lacking the netbook features. I am of the opinion that a mouse and keyboard are MUCH superior to a touch screen. I avoid anything Bluetooth because of shortened battery life.

• Like 1