Withdrawing Cash From Atm

I have never used a Debit Card overseas to get cash from an ATM.

So my question is, if you are withdrawing cash from an ATM in Thailand, do you enter the amount in Thai Baht or in Australian $.

For example, if I want to withdraw 30,000 Baht. Do I enter Bt30,000 or do I enter $1000-00.

Summising you are getting Bt30 to the OZ $.

On reading other replies, I noticed it's going to cost Bt150 for the transaction unless you go to the bank with your Passport and Debit Card.

Thanks in advance. thumbsup.gif

OZEMADE

Hmmm, interesting question: "So my question is, if you are withdrawing cash from an ATM in Thailand, do you enter the amount in Thai Baht or in Australian $."

To put it another way, if you are withdrawing cash from an ATM in Australia, do you enter the amount in Australian dollars or in Thai baht?

You need to enter the amount in Baht...not such asilly question as some have suggested, ATMs in some countries do ask or give a choice.

Would those be ATMs that give our multiple currencies?

Sent from my shoe phone

You need to enter the amount in Baht...not such asilly question as some have suggested, ATMs in some countries do ask or give a choice.

And in giving that choice they quote the currencies involved. Another clue may be in the pre-set amounts that are offered - do you really think that a Siam Commercial ATM is going to dispense 10,000 Aussie Dollars ?

Silly question.

Sent from my shoe phone

I haven't seen any in Thailand but some countries have ATM's that offer a choice, usually the local currency or US$.

Sent from my shoe phone

I haven't seen any in Thailand but some countries have ATM's that offer a choice, usually the local currency or US$.

There are a couple of SCB machines at the airport which give you $, Euro or sterling if you want it....but no aussie $ as far as I can remember

And in giving that choice they quote the currencies involved. Another clue may be in the pre-set amounts that are offered - do you really think that a Siam Commercial ATM is going to dispense 10,000 Aussie Dollars ?

Silly question.

Yes and no silly question....SCB machines at the airport handing out $, Euro, Sterling...but dont think kangeroo dollars

Silly to us because we are locals, but there are other places that use a different currencies in their ATM's. Like in Cambodia, the ATM's use USD instead of local currency...

Silly question.

Silly question.

Yes and no silly question....SCB machines at the airport handing out $, Euro, Sterling...but dont think kangeroo dollars

Thank you for some excellent information. I never use the banks at the airport but will be checking out the SCB machines next trip.

Hmmm, interesting question: "So my question is, if you are withdrawing cash from an ATM in Thailand, do you enter the amount in Thai Baht or in Australian $."

To put it another way, if you are withdrawing cash from an ATM in Australia, do you enter the amount in Australian dollars or in Thai baht?

Well if I was using an Australian Debit Card in Australia I would enter the amount in OZ $ and vise versa, however I was going to use an OZ Debit card in Thailand and was not sure what to enter here on the key pad as I was not sure what the OZ bank would conscrew the amount entered as? Thai Baht or OZ $. As I said in the original post, I have not used a Debit card overseas before, so I was looking for some constructive criticism, not a criticaster.

Silly question.

We were talking about 1000 dollars not 10,000 dollars. What a silly answer,blink.png I know of NO ATM's that dispense $10,000 any where in the world.

the amounts are in Thai baht mate

Thanks mate. I went to the Bangkok Bank ATM today and drew out the amount in Baht. Cost Bt150 for the transaction. Saw the Bank clerk inside and he informed me that any furthe transactions my wife wants to make on her OZ Debit card to do in the bank at no charge. Just bring her Oz Debit card, her Thai ID and her Passport. She already has an account with them.

Once again thanks for the good info.

Silly question.

We were talking about 1000 dollars not 10,000 dollars. What a silly answer,blink.png I know of NO ATM's that dispense $10,000 any where in the world.

My Citibank account would dispense US $ 10,000 at an ATM if I had pre-authorised that daily limit on my card, if I so wanted.....what comes out the machine is more to do with the daily limit set by your bank or what you have asked as a daily limit for rather that what the ATM will or will not dispense

Silly question.

Thank you for some excellent information. I never use the banks at the airport but will be checking out the SCB machines next trip.

These machines are on the air side (departures side) past immigration, not all SCB machines will give you the foreign currency in Swampy...I know of two SCB machines

My Citibank account would dispense US $ 10,000 at an ATM if I had pre-authorised that daily limit on my card, if I so wanted.....what comes out the machine is more to do with the daily limit set by your bank or what you have asked as a daily limit for rather that what the ATM will or will not dispense

ATMs are limited to the number of notes they can dispense, so you might be able to get $10,000 out, but it will be something like 5 separate transactions (with $100 notes)

Sent from my shoe phone

ATMs are limited to the number of notes they can dispense, so you might be able to get $10,000 out, but it will be something like 5 separate transactions (with $100 notes)

Sent from my shoe phone

Of course but getting 10k out in a single transaction wasnt specified....the statment was you couldnt get 10 k out of an ATM, which you could if your daily limit was set at 10k

Sent from my shoe phone

Of course but getting 10k out in a single transaction wasnt specified....the statment was you couldnt get 10 k out of an ATM, which you could if your daily limit was set at 10k

But the post you quoted was about "dispensing" $10,000, obviously referring to a single transaction, since all ATMs dispense hundreds of thousands of dollars (or relevant currency).

Sent from my shoe phone

Sent from my shoe phone

But the post you quoted was about "dispensing" $10,000, obviously referring to a single transaction, since all ATMs dispense hundreds of thousands of dollars (or relevant currency).

Sent from my shoe phone

Obviously not...tongue.png ....ATM's do not dispense hundreds of thousands of $ a day to an individual if the individuals their daily limit is not set to hundreds of thousands of $ /day... thumbsup.gif

Obviously not...tongue.png ....ATM's do not dispense hundreds of thousands of $ a day to an individual if the individuals their daily limit is not set to hundreds of thousands of $ /day... thumbsup.gif

Of course, but "individuals" and "daily limits" were not specified ... biggrin.png

Of course, but "individuals" and "daily limits" were not specified ... biggrin.png

ok we agree to disagree..biggrin.png

I don't agree that we are disagreeing. We agree that there was a lot "not specified".

I don't agree that we are disagreeing. We agree that there was a lot "not specified".

Ok...lets ban the OP for being none specific with his question..thumbsup.gif

• Like 1