4Th Of July Party 2012?

kast

Has anyone heard if there will be a 4th of July Party this year like in years past? I haven't heard any news about it yet and there isn't anything posted on the US Consulate website. I've been gone the last 2 years, so I don't what has been going on with this event and if the VFW is still running it or the US Consulate or a private party...? I'd like to give it a go this year if there's going to be a party.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps there won't be a 4th of July Party in Chiang Mai this year? It's 3 weeks out and I haven't heard anything about the event. My family looks forward to going to this each year and have attended since 1996. Sure hope we can continue that.

Has anyone heard any news about whether or not the event is on this year and where?

I have heard rumors that one of Chiang Mai's most famous restaurateurs might have it at his gigantic (and very comfortable) new place which has a big open area out in back that is right on the river. It seems like a good idea to me.

I know the VFW called Creative Kingdom to offer assistance if CK was going to hold another 4th of July festival again this year and they for some unknown reason would not give a straight answer to that. They were asked to call back and never did. So after looking at the above banner with it's reference to 2011 I doubt Creative Kingdom is going to do anything.

I also spoke to David of the Dukes (who is advertised in the CK banner) and as of last Thursday he also said he had not been contacted by them. David did say that he may consider doing something at his new River Market restaurant for the 4th but he has not confirmed it as yet. I guess it all depends on if anyone else is doing something or not. At this point the VFW has not been asked to take part in a 4th of July celebration but many of it's members would consider doing so if given enough time.

Don't know the what or who izzit of Creative Kingdom, but I would hope that they are not an American based/managed Group. If they are they do not show much enthusiasm for the US Independence Day

Maybe we can have as part of the holiday festivities a series of kayak or boat races, putting in at the Pun PUn and racing to the finish at Dave's new River Market. At least it down hill for the more mature of our crowd, who seem to recognize that the 4th is all about.

At this point it is looking like The Duke's and The River Market are going to hold a Fourth of July Celebration at the new River Market location near the iron bridge. We are in the process of working out the details and we'll have something together by the middle of the week. The River Market venue will hold about 300-350 people and we plan on having music and fireworks if possible. I would love for anyone with any constructive input to send me a pm here and anyone who would like to help and/or volunteer their time, maybe for free entry for them and their family, to also send me a pm. Also if anyone would like to participate in any manner please pm me or feel free to give me a call at The Duke's or The River Market.

The River Market has plenty of clean bathrooms with soap and paper and there is a lot of kitchen/BBQ space. We will comfortably seat 300 inside and the plan is to put up a few tents on the grass for the music and extra seating. There is parking in the lot out front and we will have alternative parking at The Diamond Hotel and maybe at the old house next door on Charoen Prathet.

I'll post some more details in a couple of days.

I'm sure the mods will keep this topic constructive and positive.

• Like 2

One of the things I look forward to each year, in addition to traditional cookout type foods, is the availability of imported USA microbrews at reasonable prices. Any chance of the Consulate hooking us up with that this year...? It was great back when they used to host this celebration each year.

One of the things I look forward to each year, in addition to traditional cookout type foods, is the availability of imported USA microbrews at reasonable prices. Any chance of the Consulate hooking us up with that this year...? It was great back when they used to host this celebration each year.

I love being able to buy some Samual Adams beer like I had at previous years. I prefer having a nominal cover charge and paying for the food and drinks separately. Is security going to be an issue?

Just my two cents worth. Many thanks to David and the Duke's.

Edited by prism
  • Like 1

Sammy you say, I remember when I had a restaurant iin Boston and the owner walked in and gave me a six pack and told me to try it, ok it was awhile ago but that would sure add a nice touch of Americana to the bash

• Like 1

The Consulate can't ship the beer in via the canteen like they had done before. I guess someone got spanked for letting it happen in the first place so no beer via the consulate this year :>(.

In fact I do not believe the consulate is taking part in this event at all this year.

The Consulate has been supplying beer since before I started going to these 16 years ago, so I'm not sure why all of the sudden they got spanked. Can we designate our tax payer dollars to go to this...? I'm just asking. I too was looking forward to Sam Adams and other beers that we can't normally get here and that remind us of home on the holiday. Guess I'll be lighting up the barbecue at home and providing my own beer to celebrate.

will they be having the airport screening device and the bag searches again in case Bin laden,who is still alive contrary to what Obama says,should make an appearance?

my advice to anyone who is not American is to stay away from this as it is the most boring event on the planet...in fact I demanded a refund after 10 minutes in the place

• Like 1

I wanted to get back to everyone about the 4th. The Duke's and The River Market have decided not to do a "festival" this year. Unfortunately, after a lot of deliberation and taking the logistics of the event into consideration, we have decided that 2 weeks was not going to be enough time to get everything properly organized. With all the demand to host a perfect event we did not want to have anything less than perfect and we did not want anyone to be disappointed.

There were many people who were offering help to organize and run things but what we had originally envisioned as a BBQ with music and fireworks was growing to become a full fledged festival.

Sorry to everyone who wanted to just hang out and drink beer for the day.

The Duke's and The River Market will be open for regular business and we will do some BBQ specials at The Duke's. If we get it together to do a short fireworks display I will post it here.

Sorry again and we will try and plan further ahead for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the local limited circulation, email events newsletters is reporting that Duke's is indeed going to host a 4th of July celebration at their new River Market restaurant with American and Thai food, plus fireworks at 7:30 pm.

It would be nice to get a confirmation from The Duke!