A Chiang Mai Boy Is Seeking For Foreign Friends !

ajpsjeng

First of all, Hi

My name is Jeng. I'm 19 years old and I'm a local Chiang Mai boy.

I just finished my first year at university in Bangkok. Currently, I'm on holidays and will be in Chiang Mai until the end of July.

I'm new to this forum, feel free to talk to me..teach me anything I'm happy to learn.

My past experiences are the following;

I was an AFS exchange student in the Czech Republic for a year, that was where I learned a new language "Czech" which I was fluent 2 years agos, right now I can only say simple phrases (because I haven't had a chance to practise though I'd really love to know anybody who could speak Czech or is the native czech speaker , it would be so awesome).

After I came back from the Czech Republic, I then resigned from the Thai school in Chiang Mai and went to Wanaka, New Zealand for a year and a half; to finish my high school and improve my skills in English.

What I would like to ask here is that....I would really really like to meet foreign friends here in Chiang Mai because....

1.I want to keep practising and using English. (I have an experience of losing a language before)

2.I have made a lot of friends throughout the two countries I have been BUT since I'm here and they aren't ... I can't do all the things I want to do like the old times.

3.My university friends are in Bangkok or elsewhere but Chiang Mai

4.I was kind of disconnected with old Thai friends in CM for being away for almost 3 years.

My lifestyles may sound boring to you ... I like singing, chatting, going to beautiful places. I do not smoke though can drink occasionally. I don't mind drinking people almost all of my friends from overseas either drink or smokes.

let's say ...I'm opened to anything possible! just give me an opportunity to know you and give it a chance to know me.

My friends have said the same word to describe my personality which I didn't know the meaning when I first heard it= they have said I'm bubbly

Would be really great to make new friends

P.S. I'd rather know someone who is nearly at the same age as I am so between 15-25 so that we probably could share the same experiences and interests.

If there's no one interested in this....

Would you please recommend me of what I should do or where I should go to meet my ideal friends? well, other than night clubs.

I am actually talking more about full time or long term residents. Not tourists.

Cheers,Jeng

• Like 1

P.S. I'd rather know someone who is nearly at the same age as I am so between 15-25

Highly unlikely that you would find any members of CM forum to be in that age range. Adding 50 years to the age range would be a different matter. smile.png

Edited by Semper

P.S. I'd rather know someone who is nearly at the same age as I am so between 15-25

Highly unlikely that you would find any members of CM forum to be in that age range. Adding 50 years to the age range would be a different matter. smile.png

Hahaha biggrin.png Actually, I kind of knew before I posted this but I still wished there were some younger friends around here.

peaks Thai fairly well (quite rare) and Thais say Good Thai speaking for a foreigner, is that also condescending?

It's not condescending if someone tells me 'Wow, you speak Thai really well.'. It is a little condescending when someone says 'You speak Thai really well for an American.' I thought you were in the camp that agrees with that?

• Like 1

However being Thai is the issue that makes it condescending and ethnocentric. Not that he is a non native speaker. It shouldn't be his ethnicity that is the issue, it should be that he isn't a native speaker. It would be less ethnocentric to say your English is good for a non native.

However since the OP lived abroad for 2 years, I wouldn't even address his English ability.

What about a Thai who lived abroad or was born abroad? There are many native English speaking Thais. So would you really say, "you speak well for a Thai"? to a Thai person from NY?

And your reverse situation isn't as common. Thais will just say geng mak. They won't say you speak Thai well for a foreigner. They will just be pleased that you speak Thai at all.

• Like 2

Hi ajpsjeng, nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum. I hope you wont get put off by some of the negative things in this forum. Seems to be a lot of grumpy old expats in Thailand! laugh.png

Just wondered if you are into motorbikes at all? Most of my friends are in the late 30 early 40's age bracket, so out of your age-range, but if you like bikes, they might know some people more your age bracket (im personally not so very sociable, but my friends are, but mainly in biking circles). In saying that though, will ask a good friend if he knows of any people nearer your age, whether into bikes or not.

Will send you a pm when i find out.

• Like 1

However being Thai is the issue that makes it condescending and ethnocentric. Not that he is a non native speaker. It shouldn't be his ethnicity that is the issue, it should be that he isn't a native speaker. It would be less ethnocentric to say your English is good for a non native.

However since the OP lived abroad for 2 years, I wouldn't even address his English ability.

What about a Thai who lived abroad or was born abroad? There are many native English speaking Thais. So would you really say, "you speak well for a Thai"? to a Thai person from NY?

And your reverse situation isn't as common. Thais will just say geng mak. They won't say you speak Thai well for a foreigner. They will just be pleased that you speak Thai at all.

Read the first line in his post

"My name is Jeng. I'm 19 years old and I'm a local Chiang Mai boy.

He is not from New York or any other foreign country.

I'm impressed that he speaks Czech fluently after only a year of living there. Czech has to be one of the most difficult languages in the world. After 4 1/2 years of living in the Czech Republic I was far from "fluent" but was doing quite well conversationally. But then I was not in school each day studying.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 2

Just wondering if we can keep on track and not focus on ajpsjeng English/language ability...? Its not even remotely close to what he requested. I have met several Thai's fluent in English and slang. Maybe create another thread if a debate is desired?

Edit: Dont mean that to come across as rude. Just that he is a new member, with a specific request, and really would be sad to lose a young Thai member in particular, due to ...well..you know..the usual.

Edited by eek
  • Like 2

Just wondering if we can keep on track and not focus on ajpsjeng English/language ability...? Its not even remotely close to what he requested. I have met several Thai's fluent in English and slang. Maybe create another thread if a debate is desired?

Edit: Dont mean that to come across as rude. Just that he is a new member, with a specific request, and really would be sad to lose a young Thai member in particular, due to ...well..you know..the usual.

Show him a pic of your pvc stockings and he won't be going anywhere.

Show him a pic of your pvc stockings and he won't be going anywhere.

Have you seen them? rolleyes.gif

peaks Thai fairly well (quite rare) and Thais say Good Thai speaking for a foreigner, is that also condescending?

It's not condescending if someone tells me 'Wow, you speak Thai really well.'. It is a little condescending when someone says 'You speak Thai really well for an American.' I thought you were in the camp that agrees with that?

+1

+1

People get really uptight about silly things....no wonder so many wars around the world.

As for the OP...yes, agree with others hope he hangs around.

As for fluent Czech....many people have different versions of fluent....perhaps he means a good conversational level.....I would imagine if you were really really fluent in a language, you would not forget it after a year.....just a little rusty

• Like 1

Hi ajpsjeng, nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum. I hope you wont get put off by some of the negative things in this forum. Seems to be a lot of grumpy old expats in Thailand! laugh.png

Just wondered if you are into motorbikes at all? Most of my friends are in the late 30 early 40's age bracket, so out of your age-range, but if you like bikes, they might know some people more your age bracket (im personally not so very sociable, but my friends are, but mainly in biking circles). In saying that though, will ask a good friend if he knows of any people nearer your age, whether into bikes or not.

Will send you a pm when i find out.

Thank you a lot khun eek for your kindness.

Unfortunately, I'm not into motorbikes but it'd be great if your friends know somebody nearer my age whether into bikes or not.

I appreciate Arts a lot.

Well, I didn't mention what I study at university, did I?

I'm studying Architecture.

and my hobbies are singing and dancing.

Thanks again for your response. I really appreciate.

I look forward to the results.

• Like 1

I live in the U.S. but have three step children from Chiang Mai that have lived here for almost 4 years. The boy turns 18 next month and I would be happy to have him contact you, if you are interested. Maybe, you could convince him that going to college might be helpful for his financial future.

Edited by Dean1953
  • Like 1

I'm glad that my post seems to be a hit since many people have replied to it thought the answers have been a little off the topic.

Just so you know I don't feel offended.

My language learning history is really long and not that beautiful.

I'm a native Thai speaker, I've acquired the Thai language because I have been born and raised here in Thailand.

Though, I always wanted to be good in English when I was younger. It's been my passion.

I tried so hard to practise on my own because I realised the tutoring in my Thai school wasn't enough.

I was lucky enough to get an opportunity from my family to study abroad.

In New Zealand, I ran into some Thais who liked to speak Thai with me.

But I chose to either talk to them in English or ignore them (which was not good).

Eventually, I picked up a little bit of the kiwi accent. I could understand a lot better and speak much more fluently.

It even resulted in my IELTS test score which I got 7.5 for speaking and 7 for listening. My family was proud. Sadly, my written English is still poor.

However, I am always willing to improve it. That's one of the reasons why I posted this thread.

I want to meet friends from foreign countries. I want to be in a situation where I am forced to use English.

And lastly, I could say I was more of myself when I was abroad.

I somehow connected well with the western friends whereas most of my Thai friends did not like me.

Thank you for understanding.

Please don't get me wrong.

I'm really friendly if you know me.

The internet can't tell you who I am.

but I came here because I really don't know where to go.

I can say I'm a shy person to the people I don't know.

That's why, the other day I went to the zoo. I saw a girl (looked to be at my age) and her younger brother on their own.

They didn't seem to be in a rush so I assumed they were not tourists. The sister also seemed to know the place well, it probably wasn't her first time there.

And they were speaking in a British accent.

I was too shy at that time to say hi. And I didn't really know how to star a conversation.

Till now, I still regret it because I realise how hard it is to find foreign aka farang people near my age.

I wish I attended an international school here, that would have been no problem.

Thank you everybody who participated in this thread.

,Jeng

• Like 1

+1

People get really uptight about silly things....no wonder so many wars around the world.

As for the OP...yes, agree with others hope he hangs around.

As for fluent Czech....many people have different versions of fluent....perhaps he means a good conversational level.....I would imagine if you were really really fluent in a language, you would not forget it after a year.....just a little rusty

Yes, I actually meant I had a good conversational skill in Czech.

It was not PERFECTLY fluent.

I live in the U.S. but have three step children from Chiang Mai that have lived here for almost 4 years. The boy turns 18 next month and I would be happy to have him contact you, if you are interested. Maybe, you could convince him that going to college might be helpful for his financial future.

Yes, please.

Step children , you meant they are originally from the U.S. or Thailand?

Anyway, I'd be glad to know them or just the brother is also fine.

Please feel free to contact me via email

or my facebook (type my email in the search box).

Thank you very much

Edited by onthedarkside
email address removed as per forum rules - use the PM function

Thank you,

it's very kind of you.

I can relate to the Thais in foreign countries still speaking primarily Thai. My wife gave up trying to learn English. At home, thai is the primary language. I've tried to get them to understand that learning English is the most important thing they will do here, if they intend to stay here. I think that I will show all three (22, 17 and 15 years old) this thread, not that it will make any difference to them speaking more English.

They are originally from Chiang Mai and only moved to the U.S. in October, 2008, to study English and finish there studies here. They do have Green Cards, so they can either stay here after their schooling or go back to Thailand. Its their choice and I will respect either choice.

I'm impressed that he speaks Czech fluently after only a year of living there. Czech has to be one of the most difficult languages in the world. After 4 1/2 years of living in the Czech Republic I was far from "fluent" but was doing quite well conversationally. But then I was not in school each day studying.

I wasn't that FLUENT, sir.

I actually meant I was good at communicating in Czech.

I could pronounce the very difficult "r (with a hat)" letter.

And I took me 6 months for that.

The reasons I got to the level I was were because;

1.I lived with a Czech host family, they helped me a lot in terms of improving the language skill.

2.I STOPPED using English whatsoever, I had a dictionary and a phrasebook with me all the time and I tried to use Czech as much as possible

I believed you would have done better than myself.

They are originally from Chiang Mai and only moved to the U.S. in October, 2008, to study English and finish there studies here. They do have Green Cards, so they can either stay here after their schooling or go back to Thailand. Its their choice and I will respect either choice.

I would say they are very lucky,sir.

I wish I could get that chance to study in any other English-speaking countries for my bachelor degree.

I mean I was lucky enough to get to study in the Czech republic and New Zealand.

But I would love so much to pursue my further study abroad

However, that is not going to happen because my family can't afford it any more. And I do not have any relatives who live abroad.

Thank you again for your response, sir.

Jeng.