Thailand Is Not Like China In Its Attitudes Toward Foreigners (Yet?)

BigJohnnyBKK

Wow, I just saw your link

Now I understand

Your topic is about a chinese TV presenter that calls out to kick out "foreign trash" and you wonder if THL would go down the same path.

I would say yes as

- Europe is sinking and soon US will follow, so we will all soon become unwanted economic refugees

- China is diverting the attention from internal problems on pointing out foreigners, old tricks used by any government. Can't see why would not use that one too, as they already do in a lesser extent.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

This myth is repeated ad infinitum around here. Actually it is illegal only under certain circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia....ion_in_Thailand

Know what you're talking about before blabbing on.

Wikipedia:General disclaimer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General disclaimerContent disclaimerLegal disclaimerMedical disclaimerRisk disclaimer

WIKIPEDIA MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF VALIDITY

Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here. The content of any given article may recently have been changed, vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields. Note that most other encyclopedias and reference works also have

similar disclaimers.

This myth is repeated ad infinitum around here. Actually it is illegal only under certain circumstances.

General disclaimerContent disclaimerLegal disclaimerMedical disclaimerRisk disclaimer

Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here. The content of any given article may recently have been changed, vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields. Note that most other encyclopedias and reference works also have

similar disclaimers.

Very impressive. Go read for yourself the current law

PREVENTION AND SUPPRESSION OF PROSTITUTION ACT B.E. 2539 (1996), dated 14 October 1996

http://www.ilo.org/dyn/natlex/docs/WEBTEXT/46403/65063/E96THA01.htm

Note that the 1960 law is repealed therein. Note the provision of "promiscuous manner," never defined anywhere. Now you can show us all why the Wikipedia section here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand#Legal_situation_and_history

isn't accurate. And tell us your authority, quoting the exact law, that says prostitution is illegal.

If you think about it, enforcement, when there is enforcement, e. g., roundups on Beach Rd., is fairly consistent w/ the law by Thai standards. Hence agreements for sexual services are never made with a bar, but only with the sex worker her/himself.

similar disclaimers.

Very impressive. Go read for yourself the current law

PREVENTION AND SUPPRESSION OF PROSTITUTION ACT B.E. 2539 (1996), dated 14 October 1996

http://www.ilo.org/d...63/E96THA01.htm

Note that the 1960 law is repealed therein. Note the provision of "promiscuous manner," never defined anywhere. Now you can show us all why the Wikipedia section here

http://en.wikipedia....ion_and_history

isn't accurate. And tell us your authority, quoting the exact law, that says prostitution is illegal.

If you think about it, enforcement, when there is enforcement, e. g., roundups on Beach Rd., is fairly consistent w/ the law by Thai standards. Hence agreements for sexual services are never made with a bar, but only with the sex worker her/himself.

All I'm saying is quoting a "serious" source like Wikipedia on law matters and accusing people of talking rubbish, is quite ironical.

As for law on prostitution in THL, for me the issue is irrelevant for it is rarely applied anyhow.

Otherwise, I can't fathom why you can't see the link between foreign trash and prostitution in Thailand

Many foreigners go with prostitutes in Thailand.

A very very small fraction of Thai prostitutes have ever serviced a farang.

And that's even true limiting to the Thai definition of a prostitute as opposed to the much wider one most farang seem to use.

Otherwise, I can't fathom why you can't see the link between foreign trash and prostitution in Thailand

Many foreigners go with prostitutes in Thailand.

A very very small fraction of Thai prostitutes have ever serviced a farang.

And that's even true limiting to the Thai definition of a prostitute as opposed to the much wider one most farang seem to use.

there is supposed to be a great knocking shop ,i dont know if im allowed to say where it is but probably not

anyway ,apparently they WONT service a farang for any amount of money because if word got out the thai

men (regulars ) would not like it ,any woman who sleeps with a farang is damaged goods /dirty etc so

farangs are not allowed in many establishments

funny,reading the threads here about the disgusting "natives" when many of them think of farangs in the same way

there is supposed to be a great knocking shop ,i dont know if im allowed to say where it is but probably not anyway ,apparently they WONT service a farang for any amount of money because if word got out the thai men (regulars ) would not like it ,any woman who sleeps with a farang is damaged goods /dirty etc so farangs are not allowed in many establishments

I've only come across that as an explicit rule in places that cater to Japanese and those with underage girls.

And of course many many of the high-end places catering to all kinds of Asian "executive club" types, but they just do it by charging outrageous prices on everything and can't imagine farang being stupid enough to throw their money away on empty status BS like that. . .

People. Please - can we have one god-dam_n thread where the forum's obsession with paid for sex doesn't rear its juvenile head?

Just once . . .please?

I think you'd have to start a special thread for that purpose.

All I'm saying is quoting a "serious" source like Wikipedia on law matters and accusing people of talking rubbish, is quite ironical.

As for law on prostitution in THL, for me the issue is irrelevant for it is rarely applied anyhow.

Oh, if you look around you'll see that it's just one of any number of sources that say the same thing, so it will suffice as a reference in this little forum, which isn't a law court. The article was based on the law whose reference I gave you and is in fact accurate. If it's accurate and based on legit sources, then it may quite reasonably be used as a reference even if it's Wikipedia and you wish to sneer at Wikipedia. And if Wikipedia is rubbish, then it should be quite easy to refute.

It in no way qualifies as rubbish because it has a disclaimer.

My point still stands, without irony.

Edited by JSixpack

Oh, if you look around you'll see that it's just one of any number of sources that say the same thing, so it will suffice as a reference in this little forum, which isn't a law court. The article was based on the law whose reference I gave you and is in fact accurate. If it's accurate and based on legit sources, then it may quite reasonably be used as a reference even if it's Wikipedia and you wish to sneer at Wikipedia. And if Wikipedia is rubbish, then it should be quite easy to refute.

It in no way qualifies as rubbish because it has a disclaimer.

My point still stands, without irony.

And my point is your are being sanctimonious about a law that have no raison d'être, since not applied and giving law lessons with an article I could have modified in between these posts

And my point is your are being sanctimonious about a law that have no raison d'être, since not applied and giving law lessons with an article I could have modified in between these posts

Again, because the person to whom I responded stated incorrectly, in a mere general discussion forum, a point of law that you think has no raison d'être even though it is being applied, therefore a citation of Wikipedia, one of many possible on the 'net, was quite sufficient to accompany my reasonable annoyance at the continual posting and repeating of misinformation on our forum, which I read daily. A worthy cause, if I may so.

Were the poster truly in legal difficulty, which he of course wasn't, then I'd hardly recommend using the "Wikipedia defense." In any case, any online secondary source, not just Wikipedia, may change or disappear at any time; the date on which I found and cited the reference was given by my post. Had you in the meantime modified the Wikipedia article, and if the poster considered the point worth checking against other sources, then he might easily check other sources as well, including the primary source: the law itself, whose reference I've given you above, is widely cited on the 'net--and is cited in the Wikipedia article, though, yes, you might have taken it out after deciding, wrongly, it has no raison d'être. smile.png

Although you don't really have a point, as everyone knows not to rely on Wikipedia in a law court or for DIY brain surgery, knowing you from other threads, you'll go to your grave arguing it, so I'll bow out now before the mods come down for "bickering." Suggest you ask the mods to add as a forum policy an injunction against citations of Wikipedia if that will make you feel better.

Edited by JSixpack

Whilst we're off the topic, I watched the China - Thailand Ladies Cricket game from the Asian Games in 2010.

It was an entertaining game, and China won by a small margin.

I didn't know any of the players.

SC

TV Cricket - The Team with Two Knees

Oh - and by the way, I used Wikipedia to check the date

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. If the Thais want to better their image abroad they should start with the problem of corruption which is at the root of a lot of evil stuff going on here.

You want to prevent Thai ladies from hooking up with foreigners? OH boy, wait until women's rights get on to that one.

I find it rather amusing that you're concerns regarding economic progress in Thailand relate to you're continued ability to have sex with uneducated bar girls.

If things go the way of you're fears, you could always head out to Africa. Heard it's going to be the new Thailand for that sort of thing smile.png

• Like 1

hmm, yes sir, right straight away. My beloved wife will be interested in your views. You write quite good English for a fan of Nietzche but you seem to have trouble understanding it.

Except the consistent you're rather than your is very annoying. . .

hmm, yes sir, right straight away. My beloved wife will be interested in your views. You write quite good English for a fan of Nietzche but you seem to have trouble understanding it.

Except the consistent you're rather than your is very annoying. . .

Good to see english teachers are still alive and kicking.

pedant

noun

1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.

2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.

3. a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.

• Like 1