Fino Or Skippy

Considering buying a Fino or Skippy or something like that for Mrs Conners. We already have an Airblade but she says it's too heavy. Yes I've tried to explain her that a Fino type bike is about the same weight but it's an uphill battle.

Anyway, so I checked the market for Fino style bikes, seems the second hand prices are quite similar but the Skippy comes with fuel injection. It's not clear if the Fino has that too, anyone know?

How much does these bike cost from new?

Personally I think they're both good brands with a decent resale value (unlike Suzuki that for some reason seem to be difficult to sell second hand although it's probably technically just as good). But what does the hive think? Which of the Fino-style bikes are the best purchase and why? Over to you w00t.gif

I've just sold my Fino and it's been a good little scooter.

Having said that I would recommend the Scoopy over the Fino for your Mrs.

It's a much smoother running machine and much cheaper to run as well.

The latest range of Fino do come with Fi, I think. I'm sure someone will be able to advise if this is correct or not.

If it comes to a point where you decide to sell it then you will always have a higher number of potential buyers with the Honda over the Yamaha.

I think the Scoopy costs quite a bit more than the Fino when new but this is relative in resale / second hand prices also.

Having a Yamaha Mio 125GTX myself, (a tarted up and slightly more powerful Mio in effect) I can report that it's been a pleasure to use in the year i have had it. I’ve owned it from new 48,000B all in and have covered 30,000km on it, not a single problem and she’s still going strong, the same can be said for the Scoopy too, just as reliable and if anything the Scoopy (being a Honda) will hold it’s value a little better than any Yamaha.

I do believe that the new Fino is fuel injected now so there's really very little to favor either model. Don't overlook the Fiore it has HUGE underseat storage, thanks to it’s relocated fuel tank and filler cap (no need to pop the seat anymore) and a fuel injected engine too with some the same funky retro looks of the Scoopy and Fino :)

Whatever you decide to go for try and get the widest rims (alloys in most cases) and tubeless tyres :)

Say no to the crappy branded helmets which unbuckle at speeds above 50kmh!

Someone I work with has both and he thinks the Scoopy is much better. Much more of a stable feeling he says.

I think your wife just wants a new bike by the sounds of it. I have an airblade and my Gf, who is 44kgs, can handle it no problem, in fact she loves tearing about riding my CBR.

Love the Fino for its looks but the Scoopy is IMO one of the best little scooters around. I prefer it over all others on my little rent-a-scooter tests in the summer. Definitely has better gas mileage than the Fino, and also better reliability, i.e. its a typical Honda and it basically just runs.

I liked the Mio GTX too - it actually does go a little less slow than a Scoopy - but thanks to the Mio heritage it's neither as reliable nor as fuel efficient as the Honda.

I also thought the Filano looked very nice, but the ride is simply terrible, it feels huge and weak, not a good combination.

Anyway if the Mrs is Thai, get her a Honda :)

My misses has a Suzuki Jelato and she is happy with it. We are not bothered about the resale price, she said we are not buying it to sell it. She went with the Suzy because she liked the googly eye look and that they are not so common.

• Like 1

My misses has a Suzuki Jelato and she is happy with it. We are not bothered about the resale price, she said we are not buying it to sell it. She went with the Suzy because she liked the googly eye look and that they are not so common.

It is a love or hate kinda look...

I live upcountry in Loei province. The Fino here is much more popular than the Scoopy for some strange reason. I'd guess the ratio is about 4 Finos to 1 Scoopy, maybe higher than that. That said, my rather large farang friend has a Scoopy and it has been bullet proof except for flat tires, and that has nothing to do with the motorbike. That Scoopy has about 25,000 kilometers on it and it has had a hard life including being totally underwater. It still has the original drive belt.

I'd have to say that either brand is good and certainly both are a safe buy. Buy whichever one you like the best. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think both are incredibly ugly.

I think there's a new version of the Scoopy released. I've seen a couple without plates (brand new) riding around BKK the last couple of days and they've got the rear indicators built into the bike, same style as the Fino. The old Scoopy had round rear lights sticking out the side of the bike, the new design looks better.

I have driven all of them, new 2012 releases, gave them all 30-40 minute drives each - I bought a Nouvo SX with alloy wheels instead but if I was to purchase a step through I would definitely go for the Honda, I think it is smoother and the fuel economy is better, resale will probably be higher and the bike easier to sell in the future when you want to make a trade up to a newer model.

Also enjoy the silent starting due to the charging system type starter, ESP engine is very nice, idles smoother than other bikes at traffic lights.

Edited by commande

My wife has the Scooby i bought her from new nearly a year now without a problem .My own small bike is a PCX ,which seems far more powerful although its only 125 cc versus the Scoobys 110 cc i believe .

I agree that your wife is just looking for a new bike as the Airblade is light enough and also a great bike .

Thanks for all the input!

Interesting to hear that the Scooby seems to be considered clearly "better" than the Fino. I have to admit I haven't kept a close eye on the Fino-type bikes as they normally don't interest me (I think they're ugly) but I think it's like others have mentioned a ratio of 4 Fino's per Scoopy here, the Fino's seems by far to be the most popular bike, at least here in Pattaya.

I've had the Airblade for 5 years from new and it has never let me down, so I'm clearly biased in favor of Honda anyway.

Yes I know my wife probably wants the nicer bike. And so what, I wouldn't be seen dead on a Fino-type scooter so I can kinda understand her ;) ... besides, if it means I get my Civic back it's no big deal :)

I like the Fiora as well, the feature with the easy access gas filler thing is really cool, but I think they only just came out and we're probably going for a newer (1 year or less, low milage) second-hand. There seems to be many available from around 30K. How much are these bikes from new anyway? I know I could just go and ask in a shop, but I haven't had any errands near bike shops lately, and I'm sure someone here knows the approx prices.

Keep them coming!

I think the Fino is still around the 45K mark. The Scoopy a little higher, around 50K I think.

I just sold a 2011 Fino with a Givi top box for 32,500. Thewre are cheaper ones and dearer ones too. The Scoopy, I imagine, would cost a little more for the same sort of age and condition.

There's always some for sale in the classifieds to get an idea of pricing if nothing else.

I have offered to buy my wife a new scooter because her Suzuki Best is beat to death. The thing is that it always starts the first kick and runs like a charm. I think she is of the opinion that it can't be hurt and if it is hurt, it's no big deal. She rides it every day and it is about 7 years old. Once in a while she rides my Elegance but still prefers her Suzuki.

ADDED - Her nephew has a new Fino but she doesn't like it. My friend's Scoopy doesn't impress her either. At one time she looked at a PCX but decided it is too big and bulky besides being too expensive.

Edited by Gary A

I have offered to buy my wife a new scooter because her Suzuki Best is beat to death. The thing is that it always starts the first kick and runs like a charm. I think she is of the opinion that it can't be hurt and if it is hurt, it's no big deal. She rides it every day and it is about 7 years old. Once in a while she rides my Elegance but still prefers her Suzuki.

ADDED - Her nephew has a new Fino but she doesn't like it. My friend's Scoopy doesn't impress her either. At one time she looked at a PCX but decided it is too big and bulky besides being too expensive.

Yamaha Nuovo 2012 Model - paid 60k all in premium insurance in Pattaya at the Yamaha main dealer. Great bike, easy to ride, good mileage and my girl likes it better than the step-through models such as the Fino and Scoopy that we test drove. More expensive yes, but if you keep bikes for years as it's sounds I think it will hold up against the test if time longer than the others due to the rather large redesign it went though this year. Get's around 45km per liter if you drive normal and not like speed racer everywhere.

Edited by commande

Yamaha Nuovo 2012 Model - paid 60k all in premium insurance in Pattaya at the Yamaha main dealer. Great bike, easy to ride, good mileage and my girl likes it better than the step-through models such as the Fino and Scoopy that we test drove. More expensive yes, but if you keep bikes for years as it's sounds I think it will hold up against the test if time longer than the others due to the rather large redesign it went though this year. Get's around 45km per liter if you drive normal and not like speed racer everywhere.

Get's around 45km per liter if you drive normal and not like speed racer everywhere.

that sounds impressive ,i estimate i get 25-35 km per litre from the elegance 135 but

that would be riding as fast it will go