Big Bike Reg Plate Question.

anto

I was offered a nice BMW motorcycle for B150,000 (1100 cc) .The problem is that it has no Green book or Reg plate .The garage selling it say that they can provide both for B80,000 .

What if i was to use the reg plate off my old 7 year old Honda wave .Would i be in a big proplem with the Police if they found out ? .My name is registered in the green book for the Honda Wave .As the BMW has an invoice for its import tax being paid ,would it be better to go around without a plate and show the invoices to the police if stopped ?

Yes it would be a big problem to use your honda wave plate and greenbook. This is just another form of falsafying documents, lying, cheating, etc etc. You might not run into trouble because they would see a plate, but the second you are asked to produce papers, you will be in far worse shape than if you had nothing.

Hell, I have a Honda Chaly and a Honda Nice. The nice is 100% legal and paid up on taxes. I am putting the engine, fork, swingarm, instrument cluster, and other parts on the Chaly and I would't dare to put the Nice's plate on the chaly despite the fact that 60-75% of the Nice will be ON the chaly...

You could always say you will buy the bike for the 230,000B on the contingency that they already got the greenbook for it, rather than paying 150k and then 80k.

As above tell them you will buy the bike for 230k with plate and greenbook. If he can't get it done what chance do you have?

A few years ago I found a gorgeous cbr1300, invoice only. The dealer wanted about 200k. Worth it as it was mint. When I asked for a greenbook too he said that it was very difficult! I called a friend at the local Dept L & T and they advised against it saying that they just wouldn't register an import.

Now others on TV have imported and registered bikes so it can be done. However it also appears to be getting more difficult so as the saying goes 'you pays your money and takes your chance'.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I have never seen any BMW motorcycle for sale for 150000 or 230000. The price seems way too low. It could be stolen, you just don't know until you try to register it. They will do a search in their database. This is often why people don't register vehicles even thought they claim it is legally imported with papers and taxes paid. I would back off the deal unless as suggested they get the green book in their name and then transfer it to you. It will only run you and extra 2-3000 baht to transfer the book to you. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

^ They also have a BMW k100 FOR B55,000 ,and another for B75,000 .Its Superbikes Chonburi .Anyone on here have any dealing with them ? Are they a legit Company ?

Personally I wouldn't touch any bike without a green book.

I have a Honda 200cc Phantom and a Yamaha Virago 535cc.

Both are completely legal and I was looking for a Virago for about 3 months and I saw some really beautiful ones for sale at a good cheap price but no green book.

To get a green book AFAIK you need all the legal invoices etc and then the bike has to go for an emission test which is only available at the DLT in BKK and possibly Chiang Mai

It will cost between 50 to 100,000 baht depending on the engine size and can take months to complete.

If it all works in your favour great, however if it fails the emission test you get no green book and no money back from the test and you are left with a bike which is not completely legal.

I am sure somebody will come along and shoot me down but it is not my bike and not my money.

If you really want to go ahead tell the guy at the shop you will buy it but only after it is street legal and has a green book in your name.

That way the money spent is his and not yours.

Billd has some salient points. If the seller sees the cash in your hand he is much more likely to do what is right and get the bike up to speed. Even then do not hand the money over until the bike is ridden over to the DLT and has your name in the book. That will save you a lot of frustation.

Some other things to consider. How valuable is your time to you? To me, time spent mucking around dealing with a potentially dodgy book is just not worth it. If you do get everything squared away, how much are you looking at for imported parts to keep the bike up and running (or repair if anything goes wrong)? If you decide to go ahead and take your chances, are you prepared to lose that investment? And once the BiB find out that you had previously ran a bike with a hinky plate, what is saying they won't earmark you for harrassment later?

After weighing all of those points I personally decided going with a legal, fully dealer supported, bike is the only way to go. Others have different thoughts...

Most big bikes without green books here in north east were stolen from somewhere else.

Your plan to use the book of your other bike really sucks. Why don't you print fake money and buy a decent bike?

There's no more to say, sorry. wai.gif

• Like 1

I have seen a very nice Dragster 400 cc ,year 2005 ,( looks immaculate from the photos ) with grren book for 180,000 .owner will take B160,000 so i might go for that instead .Also some steeds around at a lower price but i like the shaft drive of the Dragster .

Mean while a Thai friend has bought a Harley without number plate .It will be interesting to see how he gets on .

whereabouts is Chonburi Superbikes ? have heard before that they are ok.

i VISITED THEM BEFORE WHEN I USED TO LIVE IN jOMTIEN .They are a bit north of Siracha if i remember correctly .