Bangkok Cab Driver Sexually Assaults Passenger 3 Months After Jail

webfact

Bangkok cab driver sexually assaults passenger 3 months after jail

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A Bangkok cabdriver previously convicted of a sexual assault was arrested for allegedly raping a female passenger on Monday, a police said at a press conference late on Monday night.

Klongton police superintendent Pol Colonel Sittipab Baiprasert said a friend of the 26-year-old victim alerted police at 7.15pm that the woman was being raped in Pattanakarn Soi 32 and turned on her cell-phone's speaker so police heard the woman was in danger.

Police rushed to the scene to find the victim walking in the soi and interviewed her. The victim gave a detailed description of her attacker and his taxi licence plate, which led to the arrest of the driver at a rented house in On Nut Soi 17.

Noppadon Tabanrai, 30, reportedly confessed to police that he saw the victim, wearing short pants, and felt aroused. With a traffic jam at the time, he tricked her to use a shortcut and raped her before fleeing the scene. He said he did not expect the victim to answer her phone while being raped, which led police to catch him rapidly.

Police found that Noppadol was jailed five years ago for assaulting and attempting to rape a Philippine woman, who was also a taxi passenger at the time. He was only released three months ago.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-30

If my wife or daughter need to take a taxi then I ask them to SMS me the taxi number. These days you could take a photo of the licence and MMS it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

I always tell my wife to send me the taxi number, the one on the inside of the door.

How come this guy was working as a taxi driver again after the first incident?

Condolences to the girl. It is a terrible thing. The newspaper should be consistent in the way that they spell these names. Noppadon, Noppadol - what's on his license? His trial, conviction, and sentencing should be televised as a message that this will not be tolerated and severe penalty will be dealt.

• Like 2

once again it was the girl fault for wearing a short ... I hope he will be sent to jail for good and not receive the 2,000 baht fine as they usually give here.

Read the article before you respond he just got out of jail after all most 5 years in it.

Of course if your purpose is just to Thai bash it makes sense.

Chemical castration is the administration of medication designed to reduce libido and sexual activity. Unlike surgical castration, where the testicles or ovaries are removed through an incision in the body,[1] chemical castration does not actually castrate the person, nor is it a form of sterilization. Chemical castration is generally considered reversible when treatment is discontinued, although permanent effects in body chemistry can sometimes be seen, as in the case of bone density loss increasing with length of use of Depo Provera. Chemical castration has, from time to time, been used as an instrument of public and/or judicial policy despite concerns over human rights and possible side effects. In March 2010, Mendoza, a province in Argentina, approved a new law which allows rapists to voluntarily undergo chemical castration therapy in return for reduced sentences. Elsewhere it has mainly been restricted to use with child molesters.

Edited by Reasonableman

Condolences to the girl. It is a terrible thing. The newspaper should be consistent in the way that they spell these names. Noppadon, Noppadol - what's on his license? His trial, conviction, and sentencing should be televised as a message that this will not be tolerated and severe penalty will be dealt.

But that would be bad for Thailand's image :)

The recidivist needs a very long sentence,

and lifetime ban from ever driving a taxis, when he finally is let out.

5-10 years of probation with chemical castration also seem appropriate.

Clearly someone with parts of his brain not functioning properly, unlike the rest of us.

Edited by animatic

So convicted sex offenders are allowed a taxi license. ?

Ha, you've got to be joking. This guy may or may not do any time and when he is released he will be driving a taxi again. No doubt in my mind. Very few taxi drivers I have used are the person on the license displayed in the car, so who are they then? Some guy. Do police check on these things? No. On the off chance that they did, how much to let them go; 50, 100 baht?

once again it was the girl fault for wearing a short ... I hope he will be sent to jail for good and not receive the 2,000 baht fine as they usually give here.

Go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 2000 baht.

How many women has he raped who did not report to the police, I hope his licence is permanently revoked so that if he is ever caught driving any form of public transport again it will by him a one way ticket to prison for a very long time.

Writing down or texting the taxi plate/license numbers is always advisable, but it is only useful for after an attack. I have educated my daughter to always sit directly behind the driver to keep out of his reach and it makes it harder to grab her if she has to jump out of the cab.

If she is in eminent danger and unable to get out of the taxi; she is in a position to use her stun gun directly to the back of the attackers neck which is very effective. Of course there is the possibility the car could crash, etc., but it is preferable to being raped and possibly tortured to death.

Just a quick note; stun guns are legal in Thailand; Tazers are not (they are the ones that shoot out electrodes). They do work, as I have had opportunity to use them many times over the years back in the States. They cost around 800 to 1500 Baht and use 9 volt batteries that should be replaced monthly.

I am sure there are people that are going to debate the use of stun guns; but when it comes to trying to protect your wife, girl friend or daughter when you cannot be there, it may be the one thing that helps them get away to safety.

By the way, the best way to so see if the stun gun you are looking to purchase works is try it out on an unsuspecting passer-by; an obnoxious tourist or backpacker is preferable. JUST KIDDING! ( well, kind of. giggle.gif )

• Like 1

Noppadon Tabanrai, 30, reportedly confessed to police that he saw the victim, wearing short pants, and felt aroused. With a traffic jam at the time, he tricked her to use a shortcut and raped her before fleeing the scene. He said he did not expect the victim to answer her phone while being raped, which led police to catch him rapidly.

It does not matter what a woman wears or doesn't wear, she can be covered from head to toe and a rapist will still rape her.

He saw her in short pants and was aroused? Really? I'm glad she did answer her phone and I'm glad this guy is of the streets...again. I don't know how long I am going to live here, but I don't think that cabs are ever going to be less creepy to me than they are right now!

Writing down or texting the taxi plate/license numbers is always advisable, but it is only useful for after an attack. I have educated my daughter to always sit directly behind the driver to keep out of his reach and it makes it harder to grab her if she has to jump out of the cab.

Not quite true; my wife gets on the phone in the taxi and makes sure the driver hears her giving the taxi number to a friend or myself. May not always work, but is a useful deterrent.

If my wife or daughter need to take a taxi then I ask them to SMS me the taxi number. These days you could take a photo of the licence and MMS it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

Excellent advice Moruya. Should be done by all concernned.