Soccer More Exciting Than Yank Football?

Boon Mee

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would it take scientists to work it out?...simply ask 99% of the global population!

I ain't a scientist but I dunno, my math must be wrong, as the US has what 5% of the worlds population. So your supposition of 99% would mean 80% of the US population prefers the little girls game to American football, I don't think so.

Ok, 95%. I was just assuming that most people couldn't really stand your game in your country and had it drummed into them :D

As far as the real football goes (the one with the round ball), I think there's far too much of it on in Muang Thai (UBC, just to keep this Thai related). You may detest the game and I'm not the biggest of fans, but the proof's in the pudding, football is played by most countries in the world and as their national game. American football is played by one country in the world who have it as their national game...or is it? As far as entertainment level goes, I'd rather watch the real football, even though I'm not the biggest of fans, where there is some continuity and it can go either way, as opposed to watching a bunch of chaps running into each other and someone bunging the oblong thing towards the touch line every time. What would the game be without the tarts showing their fannies and no jingles? :D

BTW, if you can't enjoy watching the world cup then something must have gone amiss and FYI, you guys will be there again. :o

I think this was mentioned before, but soccor is played so much around the world because it is cheap. All you have to buy is a ball. So, countries that have kids who can't afford a whole bunch of equiment can play soccor, because it's fun and cheap. I think that is what made it popular, I don't think many countries get to experience other countries sports because of money. People around the world might love hockey or baseball or cricket or any number of games if they were readily avaible to play. So, I don't think it's fair to say other sports don't measure up to soccor because not many other people have really play other sports.

Is it really that expensive to buy an oblong ball as opposed to a round one then? :D:D

No, it's the helmet, shoulder pads, cod piece, thigh guards, cleets, then the pants and jersey. You might also wish to consider first aid wrappings to strengthen joint areas and and mouth piece to keep your teeth from bashing into each other or taking your tongue off. All that is standard dress. You might also consider flank portectors as well and something for your knees, just in case.

As my old coach used to say, "Play until something breaks, then tape it up and get your ass back on the grass." :D

Hockey - now that's the sport of the gods.

Hockey is similar to soccer, but the players have more skills while also smashing each other into the boards. Plus the players are allowed to square off and throw punches without being stopped by the refs. The new NHL rules have also made it more exciting - much more scoring.

hockey is a great game

another great sport is hurling,one of Irelands national sports

15 men on each team with a tapered stick around 3' long,helmets are optional but apart from that no protection it is also very hard hitting and is the fastest field game in the world.a great sport to play and watch

Edited by lovejoy

The issue of expense is one of the lamest arguments that could possibly be dragged up. As one poster has already mentioned, all you need to start playing either game is the ball.

Kids all over the world go out and kick around a round ball, the majority of them don't have football boots, or shin pads, or goalposts, just in the same way that kids in America don't need all the padding and helmets in order to take the ball down the park and have a game with their mates.

In neither instance are the kids playing the full version of the game, with all the rules, but it is easy to improvise and come up with a version that works for you. I started playing football out on the concrete street outside my house with jumpers for goalposts and any round ball we could find. The game we played was a long way away from the professional game you see on television, but it was still football. Likewise i also went down the park on occasions, when i was a bit older, and threw an American football around, and we played our own approximation of the game.

If kids want to play a game they will find a way, and a lack of the proper equipment seen in the professional game will not stop them.

I like both games, and have just spent the night watching the American football playoffs, but the stop start, slowed down nature of the game reduces the excitement massively in comparison to association football, which in comparison is non stop. It is no surprise to me that children the world over love association football, and that American football struggles to make an impact outside of the states.

Tactically intricate American Football may be, but unless you are educated to prefer the game, the excitement of football will win over the hearts of the overwhelming majority of children worldwide who come into contact with it, and that will continue to be expressed in the adult population for a very long time to come. All in my opinion, of course.

Hockey - now that's the sport of the gods.

Hockey is similar to soccer, but the players have more skills while also smashing each other into the boards. Plus the players are allowed to square off and throw punches without being stopped by the refs. The new NHL rules have also made it more exciting - much more scoring.

hockey is a great game

another great sport is hurling,one of Irelands national sports

15 men on each team with a tapered stick around 3' long,helmets are optional but apart from that no protection it is also very hard hitting and is the fastest field game in the world.a great sport to play and watch

Wow Boggers! A Brit who knows something about football. Buy that man a beer!

Why is it every other Aussie and Brit has to shows their total ignorance of American football by opening their mouths with the same tired old BS? Or is it just anti-Americanism, "you stole our empire/wish I was from an important world power" childishness? I hope thats it cause they come across as ignorant twits. I really can't understand why their "manhood" is so threatened by American football. Its an American sport for Americans, if you don't like it, don't watch. No American football fan cares what you think.

I'll try and add to some points others have mentioned to help you non-Americans:

American football is a sport of explosive speed and power, not endurance. Why do boxers get time between rounds? Why do 100 meter sprinters not run heats and the finals right in a row with no rest? Why do Olympic lifters need a rest between lifts? Yet, marathon runs can go for hours non-stop. (Hint: CNS - different types of exertion)

It is a thinking man's sport. Hence, plays, match ups, blocking schemes, coverage schemes, etc. It IS a chess match. Did you ever wonder why receivers go in motion before a play starts? Why is the QB pointing and lifting his knee or moving his one leg? Players shifting?

Most players are not fat and nonathletic. That is a myth created by people who watch the Superbowl for the commercials and half-time show or cheerleaders. Ever see DE Julius Peppers (6'7" 130 Kg) line up as a receiver? He played college basketball for Carolina Tar Heels too. I do believe being a forward for a Division I college basketball team requires some running and coordination. Mike Vrabel (6' 4" 120 Kg) , linebacker for New England, has numerous touchdown receptions. Brian Urlacher (6' 4" 120 Kg), LB Chicago, runs faster than most wide receivers but is still strong enough to stop a sprinting RB dead in his tracks and athletic enough to jump in the air and make a one handed catch.

Some players do have a belly for a good reason. Defensive Tackles, for example, need to be 350 lbs. A 280 pounder, no matter how athletic, is going to be knocked backwards on his ass by an offensive lineman and then the RBs will rip off 10 yard runs at will. They are still faster over 10 - 20 yards then most of the of us. Trust me, if coaches knew how to build 350 pound men with 6% body fat they would. Offensive linemen are not going to get any weaker. OL Larry Allen bench presses 700 pounds and squats 900 easy.

Why is it every other Aussie and Brit has to shows their total ignorance of American football by opening their mouths with the same tired old BS? Or is it just anti-Americanism, "you stole our empire/wish I was from an important world power" childishness? I hope thats it cause they come across as ignorant twits. I really can't understand why their "manhood" is so threatened by American football. Its an American sport for Americans, if you don't like it, don't watch. No American football fan cares what you think.

I'll try and add to some points others have mentioned to help you non-Americans:

American football is a sport of explosive speed and power, not endurance. Why do boxers get time between rounds? Why do 100 meter sprinters not run heats and the finals right in a row with no rest? Why do Olympic lifters need a rest between lifts? Yet, marathon runs can go for hours non-stop. (Hint: CNS - different types of exertion)

It is a thinking man's sport. Hence, plays, match ups, blocking schemes, coverage schemes, etc. It IS a chess match. Did you ever wonder why receivers go in motion before a play starts? Why is the QB pointing and lifting his knee or moving his one leg? Players shifting?

Most players are not fat and nonathletic. That is a myth created by people who watch the Superbowl for the commercials and half-time show or cheerleaders. Ever see DE Julius Peppers (6'7" 130 Kg) line up as a receiver? He played college basketball for Carolina Tar Heels too. I do believe being a forward for a Division I college basketball team requires some running and coordination. Mike Vrabel (6' 4" 120 Kg) , linebacker for New England, has numerous touchdown receptions. Brian Urlacher (6' 4" 120 Kg), LB Chicago, runs faster than most wide receivers but is still strong enough to stop a sprinting RB dead in his tracks and athletic enough to jump in the air and make a one handed catch.

Some players do have a belly for a good reason. Defensive Tackles, for example, need to be 350 lbs. A 280 pounder, no matter how athletic, is going to be knocked backwards on his ass by an offensive lineman and then the RBs will rip off 10 yard runs at will. They are still faster over 10 - 20 yards then most of the of us. Trust me, if coaches knew how to build 350 pound men with 6% body fat they would. Offensive linemen are not going to get any weaker. OL Larry Allen bench presses 700 pounds and squats 900 easy.

Your first paragraph says it all.

Fool.

redrus

:D <deleted> are you ranting on about?

It's a thread about soccer versus football. You're displaying a typical trait of a yank who can't take it and is wrongly putting any challenging remark against American Football down to anti-Americanism. :o

Re-read the title and try again :D

Ignoring the slightly paranoid tone, comparing the two sports was the point of this thread and it was started by an American. It is not like you have been slow to have a go at football (soccer). It is a girls game and the same as rice seem to be the main problems you have with the game.

A girls game? Women also take part in rugby, boxing and even AF. What is the objection to women playing a sport?

And football is the same as rice! The implication being that football fans are simple peasants making do with what is available to them while sophisticated Americans follow an advanced sport. A little condescending but more to the point it is plainly not true. All that is needed to play AF is an oval ball, Americans play it in the park, right? And it is just as easy to turn on the TV and watch AF as football. People around the world choose to follow football because they like it, not because it is rice.

This is true. Trying to compare athletes from AF with those from football or rugby is not comparing like for like. American football is all about speed and power while in football and rugby the athletes have to compromise speed and power for extra endurance. It is like comparing a 100 metre sprinter with a middle distance runner.

You seem to think that AF is a complicated game that nobody outside the US understands. This is not true. AF has had plenty of coverage around the world and we know what it is about. Like most sports it has plenty of subtle nuances that will take years of following the game to fully appreciate. However the rules of the game are not difficult to pick up. The rules in rugby are much harder to understand. I know lifelong fans of rugby who do not fully understand the rules. And the tactics in AF - basically a series of set plays. Not difficult to follow. The tactics in a fluid game like football are much more subtle and even after a lifetime watching the game you will not see everything that is going on.

Agreed. American footballers are clearly superb athletes. As I said, just in a different way to footballers.

I used to enjoy watching AF when it was shown as a highlights package in the UK. I stopped watching when they started showing the games live. There is just too little action over a four hour period for most people raised on a flowing game like football. I still watch the occasional game and don't see the need to bash one game over the other. I just prefer football.

I am a ‘take it or leave it’ fan of football. Non American football that is. I watch football but often find the 0-0 games to be boring, but also find some matches to be incredible exciting.

I occasionally watch rugby, although I don’t really understand the rules, and find it to be a great game, especially when I have a team to support.

I have tried watching American football on TV and find it very boring. It could be argued that this is because I don’t understand it. The real reason is that there seems to be so little action. If I had an interest in the commercial breaks I might be more enthusiastic, but I don’t. If football stopped every four minutes for a break I am sure that it would be no where near as popular.

As for the comparison of the athleticism of the sports: I don’t think football players and American football players can be compared, as it a completely different game. Rugby players and American football players can be compared. I have always found it amazing that the American footballers only play for a few minutes without a complete break. I have also found all the unnatural body armor to be unnatural and therefore consider Rugby, Aus football and Irish hurling to be a better competition.

I was prepared to consider the argument that American footballers are somehow gigantic athletes. I therefore did a search to find the stats for one ‘Vince young’, as mentioned as a beacon of AF athleticism. I expected that he would be a seven foot muscular hulk to put Jonah Lomu in the shade. I found that he has the similar physical stats as Lomu.

As for the gigantic heavy weights of AF, I doubt if they could participate in any other sport other than Sumo. I’m not having a go there, but it seems to be that way. I seem to remember watching AF games and seeing players actually receiving oxygen after each play. I may have imagined this and can’t be sure as it was a long time ago.

During periods of disenchantment with football (the round one) I have also attempted to nurture an interest in basketball. For a short time I found it entertaining. I liked the fact that there as a lot of scoring, which is the aspect that sometimes annoys me with football. However I soon realized that basketball is also a very simple game. The court is very small and the players very tall. This means that they can move the length of the court in a few strides. The teams seem to take turns in having a go at each others hoops with little build up: the exact opposite of football really. Some nice slam dunks though.

In short, I understand the universal appeal of football whilst understanding the narrow appeal of American football. I also prefer Rugby and most other sports to AF. This is the simple opinion of a non sporting, non biased spectator.

post-10613-1137659620_thumb.jpg

I found this picture of American Footballer ‘Rod Munch’, who plays for the ‘Chicago Mud flapps’. In between plays he likes to eat two of the world finest Rugby players and the Aus Football captain. He recently broke wind and killed an entire team of cheer leaders. Rod’s left buttock is worth more, and weighs twice as much as, both David Beckham and Ronaldinio put together.

Go Rod, go!

I was prepared to consider the argument that American footballers are somehow gigantic athletes. I therefore did a search to find the stats for one ‘Vince young’, as mentioned as a beacon of AF athleticism. I expected that he would be a seven foot muscular hulk to put Jonah Lomu in the shade. I found that he has the similar physical stats as Lomu.

Just to bring your point into persppective a little bit.

Vince young’ is a quarter back and they are usually one of the smaller guys on the team.

Lomu who I am not sure of but the way people talk about him is probably one of the biggest guys on his team. If this is the case that would make lomu small compared to american football players.

I looked at his website and saw a few photo's of Lomu. They did not give his size on there but he looks like he could play a skilled position in the NFL, like running back or corner back. He is way to small to be a lineman on either side of the ball.

PKG

[quote name='Boon Mee'

On Topic: Superbowl coming up - I got Pittsburg. :o

I hope your right Boon, That's my home town team.

I try not to brag about them, for fear of jinxing them. The last time they were in a superbowl against dallas I was bragging them up quite a bit and I 'm afraid I jinxed them.

This time I wait until the fat lady sings before i confront all the ney sayers.

PKG

I find it somewhat puzzling why some of the Brits so viciously attack American Football (and show their ignorance of the game and jealousy of America by doing so) while so stoically defending a game the Brits are so bad at. Yes the Brits did once win an international soccer tournament, 40 years ago, on a questionable call at home, but since then they haven't achieved anything. Top flight professional soccer in the UK is almost entirely played by foreigners (even an American or two). The two biggest British stars in English football attempted to play in Spain, and were proven to be below the level of the world's best players. Brits may love to watch the game, but they ain't much on playing it. The Brits can talk a good game, but I wouldn't put any money on them playing a good game.

I find it somewhat puzzling why some of the Brits so viciously attack American Football (and show their ignorance of the game and jealousy of America by doing so) while so stoically defending a game the Brits are so bad at. Yes the Brits did once win an international soccer tournament, 40 years ago, on a questionable call at home, but since then they haven't achieved anything. Top flight professional soccer in the UK is almost entirely played by foreigners (even an American or two). The two biggest British stars in English football attempted to play in Spain, and were proven to be below the level of the world's best players. Brits may love to watch the game, but they ain't much on playing it. The Brits can talk a good game, but I wouldn't put any money on them playing a good game.

Ah but we like to bitch and moan, we would'nt be happy otherwise. And we like to hark back to the glory days and, dream of future success. And yes our league attracts the best players in the world, bar a couple from across the water. I forget their names in my ignorance. It's not easy remembering the names of all the stars in the worlds only truly international game.

:o:D

Well, highly amusing replies, so far. Now frankly speaking, I am totally ignorant of American football. Don't take it personal, I just never really had a chance, the time or the interest, to study it more. Knowing only football, I cannot really say which one would be more exciting. I learned from some posts, football is for girls. :D , well what about American football, the players are padded, wear headgear and what have you, just to protect them from injuries. The football players wear jersey and pants and usually cover their 'jewels' during a free kick. :D

2006 brings another world champion ship for football, shown around the world, played by teams from around the world (at least those that suvived so far). This thing is under the patrionate of FIFA, which stand for 'Federation of Football Associations'. There is nothing in to reflect 'Soccer' or the FIFA would be FISA.

As for American football, I do not know if there are any world championships and if so how many countries do participate?

In football, among others, Brazil was 5 times world champion, Germany 3 times, England once, I agree, the latter was a mistake, the ball was never in. :D (shoot me)

Perhaps one day, when I find the time, I will study more about American Soccer. :o

But whatever one prefers, it should make fun.

As for American football, I do not know if there are any world championships and if so how many countries do participate?

Well, before some other xenophobic septic jumps in on this one Axel, haven't you heard of the Superbowl! :o

Edited by Boon Mee

Well, before some other xenophobic septic jumps in on this one Axel, haven't you heard of the Superbowl! :o

Correct me if i'm wrong but is'nt the superbowl a national competition.

Strictly yes, but in terms of world-wide exposure (& hype) it overshadows the World Cup Championships.

Edited by Boon Mee

Strictly yes, but in terms of world-wide exposure (& hype) it overshadows the World Cup Championships.

Yes but only in the states, it may get worldwide exposure but nobody's listening.

Yes, Boon Mee, I've heard about Superbowl, which, I believe is organized by the NFL, where the N stands for National, not international.

But Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake made the show internationally quite amusing. (Perhaps not so in the US, where they took it very serious) :o

Anyway, I might stay up late at night for the one or other game this summer in the World champion ship, certainly not for superbowl. But than, I have no idea about the rules of American football, but know my way around THE FOOTBALL.

In Asia I see some popularity for American football perhaps in Japan, might be in the Philippines (not sure) otherwise...?

Around the world? Most people, include me, have no idea about difference between football and rugby.

But than, me preferences in television sports are football-Champions league, German league, and Formula 1, which is a completely different story.

Edited by Axel