Expert: Major Flood To Recur This Year, But Less Devastating

Lite Beer

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA)

Bugger the floods, I'm waiting for the press release on their progress with the space program. rolleyes.gif

Yeah and nuclear power and the high speed train to Chiang Mai.

And F1 racing. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"GISTDA is currently working with Japan, figuring out rain amount by using satellite information."

The work with japan is to combine the satellite data from the Japanese satellites with that of Thailand - mostly using precipitation radar - it is possible from satellite imaging to tell the soil moisture content - i.e. the amount of water retention already existing in the land and therefore how much more water could be absorbed before saturation point and extensive flooding occurs, but the most useful way of doing this is with radar in the L-band and as far as I know the Japanese satellite -ALOS - with L-band radar failed last year, but there are other satellites in orbit - such as the European SMOS, that can provide this data.

No plans for concrete as far as I know

Crobe

• Like 1

Is this spokesperson a soothsayer, maybe maybe--Ha maybe someone will let water out of the dam BEFORE it is full this year, How can there be anymore than last year, unless it is 3 meters deep. it seems to me the vast majority of persons giving out these stupid statements, are NOT really qualified to do it. If all the dykes have been dug--banks made higher-canals dredged-300 boats at the ready lined up to get the river on it's way, Ha Ha and hillsides all replanted with trees, a canoo provided to every home, D.M. airport raised runways, maybe we have a chance. But pray tell me cabinet --What has been done---really ???---did you pay everyones compensation already ???

God, these reports make me nervous. It's just too early to panic. At least I never got everything moved back downstairs from the last time!

Never too early to panic.........biggrin.png

I've been back in Bangkok now since December and I've been driving around quite a lot the last few months. During my last trip to Chaeng Wattana I had a good look around Don Muaeng, Laksi, Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd, Bang Sue and a few other areas but couldn't see any of these big water protection projects that the government has promised these people anywhere!! Does anybody know of any projects that have started? Or was this all a big lie again?

There's some construction work going on around Don Muaeng - Rangsit area, looks like concrete road walls along the pavement. It's half a meter tall, maybe that's got something to do with those projects... Sewers are being (cleaned?) here and there but half-an-hour rain still result in an ankle-high water in some areas along Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd.

There are indeed a few small and meaningless projects going on around town but the state of the art engineering projects that were going to make Thailand look like Japan have all been forgotten it seems until the river is flowing through peoples living rooms again. Do Thai people never get fed up with their leaders/governments promising them a better life and never delivering it? Why do they wait until the water is waist high again to complain about it? It baffles me

Hold on.... a "flood management expert" recommending "each community must find the most suitable way for its area." cheesy.gif

Wasn't it the "every community for itself" mentality one of the main reasons the flood damage was so bad last year?

I predict a severe drought this year.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

but how can they know if this will be a wet or dry year.

The amount of rain in this part of the world correlatess strongly with the El Niño/La Niña-Southern Oscillation, or ENSO

Last year was a La Niña year, hence heavy rain, and measurements of sea surface temperatures suggest another La Niña this year, but not quite as severe, so rain not quite as heavy.

Bugger the floods, I'm waiting for the press release on their progress with the space program. rolleyes.gif

They are all spaced out and becoming more so by the minute. What else do you need to know about the space program?

I'm not sure but I think he means the space between their ears? biggrin.png

jb1

• Like 1

The Thai government should just admit they can't do anything about the floods... And period. So many times in so many situations they lost face anyway, so why worry to hide face and hide the truth any further reason? What's the point in deluding the public about the real situation if it happens???

Self enriching societies by the high status people in this country is a crime for the world ages...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Yeah and nuclear power and the high speed train to Chiang Mai.

And F1 racing. rolleyes.gif

There is also the high speed train, they were talking about last year from China to Nong Khai, then Bangkok. To be funded by the Chinese??

Oh and not forgetting Disney world?

jb1

We are getting a pretty good dousing don't here,

and there are reports lots of rain up north.

So it isn't in the middle at present, well it wasn't last time.

The main hope is someone does a proper job of

dam release hold management this year.

I still think he is miles ahead of the Minister of Science.

Edited by animatic

on what facts is he basing his assumption?

he is even slightly contradicting himself: "the damage will possibly be less severe" - "will not be as severe as last year’s crisis".

so far is dry everywhere and nor much of a rainy season - much different, than the last year.

On the simple fact that aboslutely NOTHING essentials has been done to mitigate the flood waters so far. This dredging (which is still not finished) will not even reduce the flood waters with 2 or 3 %. I fully agree with the report that similar floods can and probably will occur this year. The only thing that may change is that the same mistakes as last year will [hopefully] not be made again. As waterway expert, I blame the inexperienced Government for sluggish (or no) cooperation between the different water management authorities in this country and especially the grave negligence in managing the release of waters from the big dams (Bhumibol and Sirikit) in the North. This has caused at least 80% of the damage last year! Don't say it is dry everywhere now, as about every week the Government issues warnings of flash floods and heavy rains in the North, North East abd the South. Only the central plains seem to be spared... You cannot make flash floods with dust!

• Like 1

he is even slightly contradicting himself: "the damage will possibly be less severe" - "will not be as severe as last year’s crisis".

so far is dry everywhere and nor much of a rainy season - much different, than the last year.

On the simple fact that aboslutely NOTHING essentials has been done to mitigate the flood waters so far. This dredging (which is still not finished) will not even reduce the flood waters with 2 or 3 %. I fully agree with the report that similar floods can and probably will occur this year. The only thing that may change is that the same mistakes as last year will [hopefully] not be made again. As waterway expert, I blame the inexperienced Government for sluggish (or no) cooperation between the different water management authorities in this country and especially the grave negligence in managing the release of waters from the big dams (Bhumibol and Sirikit) in the North. This has caused at least 80% of the damage last year! Don't say it is dry everywhere now, as about every week the Government issues warnings of flash floods and heavy rains in the North, North East abd the South. Only the central plains seem to be spared... You cannot make flash floods with dust!

It floods every year. I think he covered his bases.

My prediction:

1: It will flood again.

2: Maybe not as bad as last year.

3: Be prepared for a flood.

???????????

Merlin the suewth sayer..

On the simple fact that aboslutely NOTHING essentials has been done to mitigate the flood waters so far. This dredging (which is still not finished) will not even reduce the flood waters with 2 or 3 %. I fully agree with the report that similar floods can and probably will occur this year. The only thing that may change is that the same mistakes as last year will [hopefully] not be made again. As waterway expert, I blame the inexperienced Government for sluggish (or no) cooperation between the different water management authorities in this country and especially the grave negligence in managing the release of waters from the big dams (Bhumibol and Sirikit) in the North. This has caused at least 80% of the damage last year! Don't say it is dry everywhere now, as about every week the Government issues warnings of flash floods and heavy rains in the North, North East and the South. Only the central plains seem to be spared... You cannot make flash floods with dust!

It floods every year. I think he covered his bases.

My prediction:

1: It will flood again.

2: Maybe not as bad as last year.

3: Be prepared for a flood.

???????????

Merlin the suewth sayer..

And the sun will come up tomorrow?

On the simple fact that aboslutely NOTHING essentials has been done to mitigate the flood waters so far. This dredging (which is still not finished) will not even reduce the flood waters with 2 or 3 %. I fully agree with the report that similar floods can and probably will occur this year. The only thing that may change is that the same mistakes as last year will [hopefully] not be made again. As waterway expert, I blame the inexperienced Government for sluggish (or no) cooperation between the different water management authorities in this country and especially the grave negligence in managing the release of waters from the big dams (Bhumibol and Sirikit) in the North. This has caused at least 80% of the damage last year! Don't say it is dry everywhere now, as about every week the Government issues warnings of flash floods and heavy rains in the North, North East and the South. Only the central plains seem to be spared... You cannot make flash floods with dust!

I would bet money on more decent floods this year. Remember allot of water came from the north then went south, im in KK and we are having a decent amount of rain everyday, I can only imagine when it's in full force, let's wait till later in the year and see what happens ;)

Why not using some speed boats to push the water away?

. A yellow nuclear powered submarine with John Lennon as the captain should do the rest.....blink.png .

Dutch guys will build a dam around the whole country to be on the safe side. -laugh.png

Mate, the rainy season hasn't even begun, yet!

"GISTDA is currently working with Japan, figuring out rain amount by using satellite information."

Please, please please don't end up working on this with the Japanese; all they will recommend is concreting every last riverbank and canal side, and damming every river they can, all funded by so called "Overseas Development Assistance" (ODA), which of course has to use Japanese contractors, Japanese cement manufacturers etc. to do they job.

Anyone who has ever lived in Japan knows what I mean. 75% of all waterways in Japan are now concrete lined. 60% of the entire coastline of Japan (can you believe it?) is literally encased in concrete. Don't let it happen here!

Well, I guess the Japanese will not be asked, nor the people with knowledge from the Netherlands.

Instead the Chinese will be used, probably.

Now you guess why.......

Why not using some speed boats to push the water away?

. A yellow nuclear powered submarine with John Lennon as the captain should do the rest.....blink.png .

Dutch guys will build a dam around the whole country to be on the safe side. -laugh.png

No, Dutch guys will not build a dyke, definitely not a dam, around the whole country.

Simply, because the floods are rain- and river related.

What the Dutch guys, the people from the Delta-commission, said to do was definitely NOT what the Thai government wanted.

Instead, the Chinese ideas were more to their liking.

I wonder why......