Hi all,

My wife works for a local institution and they pay her a given monthly allowance to cover rent expenses. Recently we've moved to a new apartment whose rent costs more than the offered allowance, so we'd get the maximum allowance, as usual.

The issue came when we got the first receipt from the building's juristic person, dividing the rent amount in 3 equal parts (i.e. room rent, furniture rent, electrical appliances rent). In this case, the employer informed that they can pay only 1/3 of the total amount (the part listed as room rent only).

We've tried to negotiate with both sides (employer, apartment's owner) with no success. So I was trying to figure out some other alternative in order to avoid loss.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Not able to be of great help, but I have rented in various places where the receipts separate room and furniture rent (I don't remember ever having had a separate amount for appliances). It makes no difference to me, but I think it is a matter of taxes/accounting for the landlord, usually big companies. It probably has something to do with taxes/accounting for your wife's employer.

If that is the case, there is probably not a lot you can do. Not many people could have thought that it would have to be a point to consider when choosing a place to live if you receive a rental allowance.

Hope you manage to find a solution to that, if not, one more thing to add to things for you to check next time you move.

• 4 weeks later...