Bangkok To Close Saphan Taksin Skytrain Station To Ease Bottleneck

webfact

so, during construction, what happens when you get on at Wong Wian Yai? Does it travel 2 stations and then stop, and you must scurry to Surasak?

or does it just push on through to Surasak, without stopping at S.Taksin

I know the first question sounds daft, I just can't picture the scenario during demolition/construction

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so, during construction, what happens when you get on at Wong Wian Yai? Does it travel 2 stations and then stop, and you must scurry to Surasak?

or does it just push on through to Surasak, without stopping at S.Taksin

I know the first question sounds daft, I just can't picture the scenario during demolition/construction

Keep the existing line open, demolish the existing platform (which is actually sitting on the deck for the second track); lay the second track and cut it in. So during this process the trains will not stop at ST anymore.

Why cant they just rebuild the station after the second line of track is installed where the current platform is? There is that huge open concrete area next to the main road (opposite that derelict 60 storey building) that the station could be built on.

• Like 1

My gut says that this announcement is a power play. They ask for permission, were denied - then announce the closure of that station because they can't get co-operation. Two major 5 star hotels, the river boat, and a lot of other interested parties with significant pull/money complain loudly. The issue gets escalated, and they get permission to expand the station.

As mentioned the Saphan Taksin.station is the BTS link to the river bus system, so that will mean a walk of about half a mile (750m) to the river from Surasak station.

Bound to affect the numbers using the river service from that point

Edited by agudbuk

Why not just stop at every other station.

And build walking linking the two; all of them.

Some might remember that in the original plans there were a couple of 'future stations' on the map. (You can still see these on old maps.) One of them was to be at the end of my soi, which would mean saving a long walk to either Saphan Kwai or Aree. Somehow, I don't think they'll ever get built. (But a moving sidewalk would be nice.) wink.png

When do you ever hear of a part of a subway system being closed so soon after it being opened. The article doesn't describe what is the actual bottleneck either.

I don't see how closing a station wil help.

When do you ever hear of a part of a subway system being closed so soon after it being opened. The article doesn't describe what is the actual bottleneck either.

please read the article....

While there are two train tracks for most stretches of the Skytrain system, the portion across the Chao Phraya has just one track due to limited space, thus causing a bottleneck.

'

But how does closing a station solve that? The train still have to traverse the Chao Phraya River; it just doesn't stop at Sapan Taksin. I can imagine large numbers of people having to get a bus or taxi to the previous station, so in fact, all it will do is cause inconvenience for many!

I use this station frequently, and during the busy times I have never really seen what one could class as a bottleneck, yes sometimes a train has to wait while the train in the opposite direction clears the track but you are talking less than one minute, I have never had to wait for a train at Saphin Thaksin longer than I have had to wait elsewhere.

Thaksin on the brain?

It's Saphan Taksin.

Named after King Taksin who managed to unite Thailand after the destruction of Ayutthaya.

This figure from Thai history is still very popular with farangs. I'm always hearing them talking about 'King Taksin'.

Edited by bigbamboo

the BMA decision to award a Bt190billion contract to BTSC: how much of this is going to disappear into the big pockets of those involved as usual? It's so funny how the city of Bangkok can spend so much money on these luxury problems(and make all those involved a lot richer than they already are at the same time), because that's what it is! Who cares that it takes 5 minutes longer for the train to arrive because of a bottleneck in the track?

Wouldn't it be better to spend this money on improving waterworks like klongs, dams, sewage, etc and tackle a real problem? I forgot, they prefer ignoring real problems and focus on how they can 'eat' as much money as possible

• Like 1

What are you talking about??? That Station has been around forever. The bottleneck is the bridge that leads over the river. Since there's only one track going over trains have to alternate.

This is sad news indeed. I think I've probably used that station more than any other. Love a ride on the river boats.

Add longer trains and let people wait for them - they'd be happy to wait to have the convenience of being able to alight at ST rather than face a 750m walk in the heat.They should poll station users on that.

I bet the traffic is more like 4000 per hour during the day. A lot of people come to work in the city by boat, then BTS from there.

I hope one poster's theory about powerful local stake holders (i.e. 5* hotels) complaining will work.

Another poster seemed to say that extending the reach of the line, would mean it taking longer for sets to clear the single track section. I don't follow that. The single track section would still be of the same length and trains travelling at the same speed.

edit: default font size too small.

Edited by Lancashirelad
  • Like 1

What are you talking about??? That Station has been around forever. The bottleneck is the bridge that leads over the river. Since there's only one track going over trains have to alternate.

You are correct to point out that ST has been open since the BTS system commenced on 5 Dec 99. However, what are you talking about?? The bottle neck is NOT the bridge, the bridge has two tracks, the bottle neck is at the station which has only one track given that ST is built on the outbound track right of way. These 3 images should make that clear;

(Note: credit for images to Khun gwmss15 on http://2bangkok.com/...-Opened!/page17)

1) Saphan Taksin bridge span taken from the west end of the platform.

P1000183a.jpg

2) ST station view. The platform are is built upon the outbound track right of way.

P1000191a.jpg

3) Taken from the east ed of ST looking east towards Surasak direction

P1000174a.jpg

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1

My gut says that this announcement is a power play. They ask for permission, were denied - then announce the closure of that station because they can't get co-operation. Two major 5 star hotels, the river boat, and a lot of other interested parties with significant pull/money complain loudly. The issue gets escalated, and they get permission to expand the station.

I think there is some merit in your first sentence. The mooted plan last year was to completely re-engineer the city bound south span of Taksin bridge and essentially extend it 1.5 lanes further south thus creating enough room for a new platform by then taking the air space above and/or demolishing the right lane. It is an expensive plan (a few billion baht) but does provide for a long term solution to keep Saphan Taksin station. (I'll see if I can find the render). The BMA needs Highways Dept to approve and the central govt to fund it.

However, given the ongoing political battels between the BMA and MOT which have recently become more acute since the BMA extended the BTSC's concession, and ongoing spats with the Highways Dept. it would make sense for the BMA to attempt to use public opinion to gain some political and financial traction.

I am of the view that a single city bound platform could be built on the east side of Charoen Krung rd which can be linked to the current station concourse under the viaduct via an extended concourse link. The WWY bound platform could then be extended in length and slightly expanded while the part of the station currently built upon the WWY line could be demolished and the station lengthen and re-engineered with platform barriers for pax safety.

One thing to consider, in the original plans for extending the BTS across the river to WWY (now open) and beyond to Phetkasem road (opening in two stages, late 2012 and 2013) it was originally envisage that there would be 3 stations to WWY with one station immediately on the other side of the river above Charoen Nakhon rd. This was to provide a direct, cross river travel option (until ST was demolished) and to connect with Charoen Nakhon rd . However, due to funding limitations, and partially the opposition of ferry operators, the BMA cut one station and only built two, KrungThonburi & WWY.

IF that cross river station had of been built it would be providing an ongoing river interchange option than what is currently being proposed which is nada expect for a long 1km walk to Surasak.

• Like 1

I bet the traffic is more like 4000 per hour during the day. A lot of people come to work in the city by boat, then BTS from there.

Yes this is much more likely, I think the Nation article was just incorrectly edited by a sub editor or someone made a silly mistake in translation. The quality of news reports in the thai press leaves a lot to be desired; very little fact checking, background research and no concept of investigative reporting.

Indeed, another thai paper reports the BMA as stating that ST has about 50 000 pax a day. Seems much more accurate when the daily ridership network wise is 550 000-570 000 on weekdays.

They are probably thinking of ways to increase their profit margins as much as possible. They are going to do the same ridiculous pricing scheme on the wongwian wai extension as they have with the on nut extension to bearing. The bottleneck that will be eased is the one with the money going into their pockets. And what is stopping them from charging a hell of a lot more than the suk extension?

• Like 1

I can see the problem with this station and it's positioning.. Removing it makes sense. But just as a thought, why not build a new station immediately across the river where there are gardens either side of the track. Sad as it would be to build on the gardens, it does look realistic judging from the map. There's already a pier over there.

• Like 1

More trains running more frequently as in every 3 min is no different than adding more cars and running every 6 min, same throughput.

Yes, it's very different, which is clearly seen on the Sukhumvit line now. When the trains are very frequent, one train delayed at a station will have consequences for all following trains since there are no margins. That again leads to more people waiting on the platform who take longer time to board the train, leading to more delays and the frequency will decrease.

The bottle neck is having trains in both directions having to stop at a single platform.

This station has been there from the start, and isn't a recently opened station.

Sent from my shoe phone

so why don't they just lay another track across ? or is it too costly to widen the bridge and lay track?

Maybe some genius could decide that the bottleneck isn't such a great inconvenience to passengers whereas closing Saphan Taksin would be.....and just leave everything as it is.

Exactly.

Can't have the passengers wait 4 minutes for the track to clear but OK to construct a 700 meter walkway?

No stations on the river. Dumb.

Why cant they just rebuild the station after the second line of track is installed where the current platform is? There is that huge open concrete area next to the main road (opposite that derelict 60 storey building) that the station could be built on.

There is no space between the roads on either side if the station to build platforms. They would need to make road bridge wider to fit 2 tracks and 2 platforms.

Sent from my shoe phone

• Like 1

But how does closing a station solve that? The train still have to traverse the Chao Phraya River; it just doesn't stop at Sapan Taksin. I can imagine large numbers of people having to get a bus or taxi to the previous station, so in fact, all it will do is cause inconvenience for many!

They close the station. Then they demolish the platform. Then build a second track where the platform is. That means trains can go in both directions at the same time without waiting for a train to go through the single line station.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted troll comment about a shoe.

The single line is only through the station. There are 2 lines that go across the river.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted troll comment about a shoe.

Maybe some genius could decide that the bottleneck isn't such a great inconvenience to passengers whereas closing Saphan Taksin would be.....and just leave everything as it is.

Exactly.

Can't have the passengers wait 4 minutes for the track to clear but OK to construct a 700 meter walkway?

No stations on the river. Dumb.

I suppose you have the CAPEX then to devote to re-engineering an entire bridge, closing down traffic for gawd knows how long just so a bunch of tourists don't have to break a sweat to catch a train that theyll use once, perhaps twice on a visit to BKK. People speak of corruption but don't have problems wasting money in their own ways.

The MRT is first and foremost for the BKK commuting public.

Whingers will be will whinge. When the extension was first mooteed, people whinged that there was only a single line through the station. Now that there is a proposal to do something about it...what do we get? Another whinge.

How predictable.

• Like 1