Police Stopped Me Yesterday...

doppa

and advised me it's illegal to turn left when the traffic lights are on red, so whether that's cleared up the question with regards is it an legal/illegal maneuver, i guess the answer is yes if the 'rozzers' are watching.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on the intersection. Some you can and some you can't. Look for a little Thai sign (no english) just before the lights. Some allow turning while others say you can't and mention a fine.

Depends on the intersection. Some you can and some you can't. Look for a little Thai sign (no english) just before the lights. Some allow turning while others say you can't and mention a fine.

will look out for that then, after ive looked out for the 'fuzz'

It's a rather small sign, white background with black Thai lettering........easy to miss if you're unaware of it.

It's a rather small sign, white background with black Thai lettering........easy to miss if you're unaware of it.

You can see one as u approach the intersection by Pantip plaza from Changklan Rd, you are not allowed to turn left on to Sridonchai Rd at red.

What are us un-educated people who can't read thai suppose to do ?

There appears to be a variety of signs. The ones I'm used to seeing are different to the ones posted by Payboy

So basicly there is a sign at every juction telling you if you can or can't turn left ? some in English and some not ?

Join the Walen School ?

I'm no expert on traffic signs and usually have the wife advise me whether i can turn or not at unfamiliar traffic lights.

The signs in my area of Issan are either black on white or white on blue. No english on the signs. They're maybe 1 x 1 foot in size and usually head high about 1 or 2 car lengths back from the intersection. The no turn signs usually have a fine amount on the sign.

Just to confuse the issue there are other small signs like these that allow you to cross the top of a T intersection in the left lane on a red light. They're official signs but i've never been able to find an official website showing them.

There appears to be a variety of signs. The ones I'm used to seeing are different to the ones posted by Payboy

That's right and I could only find photos of a couple of them. As another poster said, some signs are only in Thai and say that you must wait for the light to turn green before turning. Usually find BiB lurking around the corner at those. :(

Those that can't read Thai could just wait half a sec before the impatient mofo in the car behind starts honking his horn. rolleyes.gif

Hey careful. That's me you'r talking about smile.png

Oops, I should have guessed you were amongst us. :rolleyes:

Learn to read Thai.

If you can't read Thai road signs, you shouldn't be driving in Thailand.

Is that so 13.gif, i didn't realize that one of the conditions of driving in Thailand was that you had to be able to read Thai 30.gif

It's not however, it is a condition that you can recognise road signs. There are many signs that are only in Thai and you only have to memorise them.

Crikey mate,i am impressed that you are able to memorise Thai signs,just a shame that you are unable to memorise English as well cos your English grammar is crap, the comma should be after "not" not after "however 24.gif

Anyway, I'll get onto that one straight away, " darling where's our Thai highway code "

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

Crikey mate,i am impressed that you are able to memorise Thai signs,just a shame that you are unable to memorise English as well, cos your English grammar is crap, the comma should be after "not" not after "however 24.gif

Anyway, I'll get onto that one straight away, " darling wheres our Thai highwaycode"

whistling.gif

• Like 1

You can see one as u approach the intersection by Pantip plaza from Changklan Rd, you are not allowed to turn left on to Sridonchai Rd at red.

Cheers mate, that's near me. I'll go have a look

i remember alfie conn by the way, he couldnt read thai either, where is he now.

• Like 1

But the signs can be over-ridden by the traffic police. I was recently waiting for traffic lights, wanting to go straight on, in a left-hand lane with arrows indicating it was for going straight on as well as turning left. Lights red, sign saying wait for the lights ("liaow sai ror sanyarn"). But the copper on duty impatiently gestured that I should turn left immediately and not wait for the lights. I did as I was told.

CMMCB