Autthaya To Lopburi Or Sukhotai - Any Night Bus ?

I have plan to visit Ayutthya for a Loy Krathong trip and continue up to Sukhothai for the next night event.

Anyone know if there is any night or day bus that goes direct to Sukhothai and how many hours is the bus journey ? Or must I retrurn to BKK to do it ?

Will going to Lopburi to change bus necessary ?

As far as I know (and I'm pretty sure), no direct bus to Sukhothai. You'll need to catch a bus to Phitsanulok and change there. (You can also do the first leg of the journey by train.)

The long distance bus terminal in Ayutthaya is now on the Asia Highway and a real pain to get to if you don't have your own transport.

The bus terminal in Sukhothai is a few kilometres outside the town centre, so not that convenient, either. However, there are plenty of guest house touts who'll help you get to their over-priced establishments. There are also songthaew available, I think.

Don't understand your question about Lopburi.

I'd guess the journey is about 7 hours or so, but that's only a rough estimate. Could be longer.

Bangkok to Ayutthaya - Ayutthaya to Lopburi or Ayutthaya - Sukhothai.

There are buses from many companies running all the time.

Ayutthaya is not that far from Bangkok or Lop Buri.

Bus from Ayutthaya to Sukhothai usually no more than 7 hours.

Here's one but there are many more, it's just a case of asking at the bus station and tell them what you want to do, whether or not it will be within your time frame, is anyones guess.

http://www.thailande...us-thailand.php

You could hire your own mini bus service in Bangkok where the driver stays with you, and takes you wherever you want to go.

Edited by Kwasaki

Thanks.

Kawasaki, your link is very useful but not sure if it is reliable or not. Unfortunately most departure times are not stated and info is not proper..

For instance, I checked Mae Sai to Bangkok, can't gather what it means, 3 different fares by the same bus company.

AyG,

Is your info reliable ?

I admit, my information is probably out of date. It's based upon a trip I did in the reverse direction a few years ago.

(In the old days, the Ayutthaya long distance bus terminal was in the centre of town, so it would make no sense for buses travelling from Bangkok to Sukhothai to stop there. Now that the terminal has moved to the Asia Highway, it's perfectly possible that buses from Bangkok will stop pick up passengers in Ayutthaya.)

Best thing to do would be to go to the bus terminal the day before you want to travel and if they have tickets to Sukhothai, get one. Otherwise get a ticket to P'lok (or then go to the train station and get a train ticket to P'lok).

Edited by AyG

I admit, my information is probably out of date. It's based upon a trip I did in the reverse direction a few years ago.

(In the old days, the Ayutthaya long distance bus terminal was in the centre of town, so it would make no sense for buses travelling from Bangkok to Sukhothai to stop there. Now that the terminal has moved to the Asia Highway, it's perfectly possible that buses from Bangkok will stop pick up passengers in Ayutthaya.)

Best thing to do would be to go to the bus terminal the day before you want to travel and if they have tickets to Sukhothai, get one. Otherwise get a ticket to P'lok (or then go to the train station and get a train ticket to P'lok).

It sound's like you have never done the trip before. May I just point out that Sukhothai over the L/K period is packed big time and most bus's will be full to get one there or to return might be a problem, hotel's will also be full so you will need to pre-book and pay well before hand. Just something to take into account as you plan. By the way you can also go via N/Sawan/K.P.Phet take's about the same time. From N/S there is a mini bus service they run from the N/S Bus station, the N/S local's can give more update's on those.

Hope this help's.

Edited by fredob43

Thanks again.

I am not worried on rooms as I can book ahead online. Bus is the problem as I cannot book from overseas or phone. I know Ayuthyaa, Sukhothai & Chiang Mai are the 3 places with the biggest L/K events everyone. I found out Sukhothai's final day event is on the 29th and CM on the 30th; giving me a chance to visit Sukhothai's final day and onwards to CN the next morning. If Ayuthaya's event has a minimum of 2 days(which I believe so is the minimum), I wish to attend Ayuthaya on the 28th(if L/K is big here on the eve), coming from Bangkok. Problem is unlikely the bus terminal in BKK will be able to give me any info for bus leaving Ayuthaya and I can only buy the the ticket 1 day ahead for Ayuthaya to Sukhothai; upon arrival on 28th. If it is full I may have a problem.

Anyone know if Ayuthaya's L/K is worth a visit on the 2nd last night ?

Loi kratong is a one evening event in Ayutthaya town. This year I think it's on November 28th. Best place in my opinion to experience it is at Wat Chaiwattanaram, which gives free admission on this evening only. There's a royal palace on the opposite bank of the river, and if a royal is in residence hundreds, if not thousands of traditional kratong are launched just upstream of the palace. It's an amazing sight. However, the traffic getting there can be pretty horrendous, so patience is needed. You can buy your own kratong from the large number of stalls that are set up along U-Thong road on the way from the hospital westwards towards the palace.

(At Bang Sai there is a big loi kratong event at the Royal Arts & Crafts centre which markets itself as "traditional". Bang Sai is in Ayutthaya province, about 30 km from the town.)

Because loi kratong is not a public holiday, I doubt that the buses will be much fuller than usual. However, if you're concerned, why not go by train to Phisanulok, then catch a bus from there? You can book the train ticket either when you first arrive in Thailand at any railway station, or through the Internet.

Loi kratong is a one evening event in Ayutthaya town. This year I think it's on November 28th. Best place in my opinion to experience it is at Wat Chaiwattanaram, which gives free admission on this evening only. There's a royal palace on the opposite bank of the river, and if a royal is in residence hundreds, if not thousands of traditional kratong are launched just upstream of the palace. It's an amazing sight. However, the traffic getting there can be pretty horrendous, so patience is needed. You can buy your own kratong from the large number of stalls that are set up along U-Thong road on the way from the hospital westwards towards the palace.

(At Bang Sai there is a big loi kratong event at the Royal Arts & Crafts centre which markets itself as "traditional". Bang Sai is in Ayutthaya province, about 30 km from the town.)

Because loi kratong is not a public holiday, I doubt that the buses will be much fuller than usual. However, if you're concerned, why not go by train to Phisanulok, then catch a bus from there? You can book the train ticket either when you first arrive in Thailand at any railway station, or through the Internet.

Thanks again.

Are you sure L/K in Ayuthaya is just a 1 night event ?(I start to doubt you now because of the earlier posts ;-))

If it is just 1 night on Nov 28th, I will give it a miss as I prefer to see it in Sukhotai. If there is LK events in Ayuthaya on 27th, I will like to be there.

Anyhow, I always prefer the buses in Thailand which are much faster than trains and I have already been to Phitsanulok and no wish to go back soon.

Loi kratong is a one evening event in Ayutthaya town.

Thanks again.

Are you sure L/K in Ayuthaya is just a 1 night event ?(I start to doubt you now because of the earlier posts ;-))

If it is just 1 night on Nov 28th, I will give it a miss as I prefer to see it in Sukhotai. If there is LK events in Ayuthaya on 27th, I will like to be there.

Anyhow, I always prefer the buses in Thailand which are much faster than trains and I have already been to Phitsanulok and no wish to go back soon.

Loi Krathong goes on in The Old Sukhothai City of Muang Kao for 4-5 days.

Plenty of places to stay.

http://www.loikrathong.net/en/History.php

As They say it's up to you. :D