Bangkok Airways Question

This is NOT intended to be another rant thread, if it turns out that way please close it Roo.

I understand BA's ownership of Samui, Sukhothai & Trat airports.

But I understand that they are also the only operator flying BKK - Siem Reap. Given that they don't own this airport how have they achieved that position?

Bitching and moaning comments not required, it's a genuine question.

Siem Reap International Airport

Airlines and destinations

AeroCambodia Domestic-Cambodia

AirAsia Kuala Lumpur

Asiana Airlines Seoul-Incheon

Bangkok Airways Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi

Cambodia Angkor Air Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville

Cebu Pacific Manila

China Eastern Airlines Shanghai, Kunming

China Southern Airlines Guangzhou

Far Eastern Air Transport Charter: Taipei-Taoyuan

Jetstar Asia Singapore

Korean Air Busan, Seoul-Incheon

Lao Airlines Luang Prabang, Pakse, Vientiane

Malaysia Airlines Kuala Lumpur

Myanmar Airways International Phnom Penh, Yangon - (Currently suspended)

SilkAir Da Nang, Singapore

Tonlesap Airlines Ningbo, Kaohsiung, Taipei-Taoyuan

T'way Airlines Seoul-Incheon

Vietnam Airlines Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Luang Prabang

Edited by PoorSucker

Ok to clarify I am not asking for a list of airlines who fly into Siem Reap, or a list of destination that you to can travel there from.

I am asking 'they are also the only operator flying BKK - Siem Reap'

I'm not bothered other points of origin.

They have a monopoly on this route, but don't own the airport - my question is how have they gained that position?

Ok to clarify I am not asking for a list of airlines who fly into Siem Reap, or a list of destination that you to can travel there from.

I am asking 'they are also the only operator flying BKK - Siem Reap'

I'm not bothered other points of origin.

They have a monopoly on this route, but don't own the airport - my question is how have they gained that position?

Bribes?

No that does not exist here.

Guess it is that simple. Found reference somewhere that this route and the old SR-PP that they had date from an agreement with an old Cambodian Prime Minister.

Like him or loathe him, you can't deny Mr BkkAir is a smart old boy!

it is the commercial decision of Bangkok Airways to fly there. Other companies have decided not to

if bangkok airways are buying all private airports then why are other airlines not catching on? Thailand seems to be manoloply parradise

I think that there is a share agreement with Siem Reap Airlines. They are BKK airways aircraft but have 'Siem Reap Airlines' painted on the side of the

aircraft. This agreement would give them the required rights to operate there.

An agreement between Hun Sen and Bangkok Airways in 1997 gave the rights to Bangkok Air and Cambodia's national carrier to fly between and Siem Reap and bagkok. Siem Reap Airways was the national carrier for Cambodia until it basically went bust. It use to fly Bangkok to Siem Reap. The national carrier for Cambodia is now Cambodia Angkor Air ( CAA ) This company is 51% Cambodian government and 49% Vietnam Airlines. At the beginning of 2011 there was hope that CAA would also fly BKK to Siem Reap route. The are a number of articles on the net stating this. This link is one

http://khmernz.blogspot.com/2011/02/end-to-bangkok-airs-monopoly-is-welcome.html

To this date they have not. They fly domestically in Cambodia and to Ho Chi Minh City.

An agreement between Hun Sen and Bangkok Airways in 1997 gave the rights to Bangkok Air and Cambodia's national carrier to fly between and Siem Reap and bagkok. Siem Reap Airways was the national carrier for Cambodia until it basically went bust. It use to fly Bangkok to Siem Reap. The national carrier for Cambodia is now Cambodia Angkor Air ( CAA ) This company is 51% Cambodian government and 49% Vietnam Airlines. At the beginning of 2011 there was hope that CAA would also fly BKK to Siem Reap route. The are a number of articles on the net stating this. .This link is one

http://khmernz.blogspot.com/2011/02/end-to-bangkok-airs-monopoly-is-welcome.html

To this date they have not. They fly domestically in Cambodia and to Ho Chi Minh City.

According to Google, Siem Reap Airlines are a wholly owned subsidiary of Bangkok Airways and operate to Siem Reap and Phom Penh. As stated in my previous post many of the BA aircraft carry the SR insignia but keep the Thai registration. They have not gone bust.

An agreement between Hun Sen and Bangkok Airways in 1997 gave the rights to Bangkok Air and Cambodia's national carrier to fly between and Siem Reap and bagkok. Siem Reap Airways was the national carrier for Cambodia until it basically went bust. It use to fly Bangkok to Siem Reap. The national carrier for Cambodia is now Cambodia Angkor Air ( CAA ) This company is 51% Cambodian government and 49% Vietnam Airlines. At the beginning of 2011 there was hope that CAA would also fly BKK to Siem Reap route. The are a number of articles on the net stating this. .This link is one

According to Google, Siem Reap Airlines are a wholly owned subsidiary of Bangkok Airways and operate to Siem Reap and Phom Penh. As stated in my previous post many of the BA aircraft carry the SR insignia but keep the Thai registration. They have not gone bust.

Read what this link states

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siem_Reap_Airways_International

Read what this link states

http://en.wikipedia....s_International

Accepting the fact that this subject is probably only of interests to Dr. C whom I think has had his original question answered, and without wishing to prolong it any more ....try tapping up SR Airlines on the net, you can make a booking today. It will however be operated by BA.coffee1.gif

From OP;

'I understand BA's ownership of Samui, Sukhothai & Trat airports.'

I have no great issue with an airline benefitting from building an airport (despite it being a pain in the arse).

Sure I have senn that Bkk Air have scaled down or even stopped their USM-trat route. Shows that it doesn't always make a fortune.