Thai Bbq Moo Gata

pokerkid

They are all pretty good, but trying to get a "nice setting" is the problem. They are all designed as bulk eateries for Thai families, so niceties go out the window. The one I personally prefer is up the side soi of Hillside condo, but I do enjoy the one on the N.E. corner of the klong.

There is a very big one behind Hillside4 condo/Furama, I forget the name.(those living there will advise) It has the biggest selction of grub I have ever seen at a bbq; and you can drink as much as you like also (non alcoholic though)

It was around 199bt a head last time I went.

As for the setting, like most of them, not great, but when your head is down trying to stop all that meat sliding down the steamer who cares.

The one behind Hillside charged me 40B for not finishing all the Nam Chim. Left a bitter taste. Leaving a load of meat is one thing, leaving a bit of sauce is another.

I like the one on the moat (western) just south of Suthep Road. Can't think of one with good ambience though. All the smoke would destroy it anyway.

I vote for the one behind Hillside as it is consistent. Also you can BBQ the shrimp, etc. There used to be a good one on Nimman...but they are gone. Recently I dropped some Thai friends off at the one on the corner of moat just past Wat Pa Pao and when I picked them up they said they were disappointed. They said the place was dirty and some of the seafood did not smell right to them.

You are all referring to Sukontha (spelling).

I also like the offerings at Na maw, the front of CMU.

Choom-pa has gone down hill, on the corner of the moat the way to Fabrique.

Chang Puak is OK

and there is a Nua gata near Montfort, it's run by an islamic family so no pork.

and funny enough, as I was typing this my Thai friends said, Lets go to Sukontha!

Soooo, I'm off!

You are all referring to Sukontha (spelling).

I also like the offerings at Na maw, the front of CMU.

Choom-pa has gone down hill, on the corner of the moat the way to Fabrique.

Chang Puak is OK

and there is a Nua gata near Montfort, it's run by an islamic family so no pork.

and funny enough, as I was typing this my Thai friends said, Lets go to Sukontha!

Soooo, I'm off!

enjoy, and let us know how it was please

The one behind Hillside charged me 40B for not finishing all the Nam Chim. Left a bitter taste. Leaving a load of meat is one thing, leaving a bit of sauce is another.

That's the case with most of them, just trying to reduce waste. I got caught years ago at the same one for not finishing some food. The waitress pointed at the large sign on the wall, which gave prices for adults and kids, and the surcharge for not finishing everything. It still doesn't detract from a great eatery. Where else can you barbeque a Kg of prawns for under 200 baht biggrin.png

So, I went and I found a few changes since last year (recently moved back to Thailand).

It is now 199Baht and not the closer to 300B price.

I believe sodas are 10b a bottle now and not free, but we didn't get charged for them anyways?

I didn't see any beef and they were much slower to replenish things than before. THis slowness might have been a result of it being so packed. It was a Saturday on a holiday weekend and everyone just got paid.

The only thing I really dislike about moo gata is that it seems to rudest most unintelligent savages frequent it.

People have no perception of others when they talk and will physically push each other out of the way. The worst actions seem to be centered around shrimp, Thai's seem to get very aggressive and greedy when it comes to hording prawns at a moo gata. Not enough of a problem for me not to return though

why? been eat sukontha quite often no issues.

for a smaller and less crowded area, you could try the mookata along superhighway. im not very sure with thai roads but i drive from changphueak to superhighway (opp direction from going lanna hospital) then you will drive past one hospital, one mookata and then finally the mookata im talking about.

it have a stage with lady boys performing as well but more entertaining than sukontha imo. but food wise, lesser variety. no cooked crayfish like in sukontha.

one thing about prawns in mookata . . all of them taste bad.

There are also a load of smaller ones (and numerous other places to eat) opposite CMU next door to Malin residence.....nicer atmosphere, more open, lots of people, not so smoky etc.

Also has a market there every night, but nearly all teenage fashion stuff.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=chiang+mai&hl=en&ll=18.807742,98.956153&spn=0.012472,0.024376&geocode=+&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=18.807784,98.956061&panoid=mMU7kdo3B2RMw2Ww0B1Qfw&cbp=12,14.15,,0,3.35

for a smaller and less crowded area, you could try the mookata along superhighway. im not very sure with thai roads but i drive from changphueak to superhighway (opp direction from going lanna hospital) then you will drive past one hospital, one mookata and then finally the mookata im talking about.

it have a stage with lady boys performing as well but more entertaining than sukontha imo. but food wise, lesser variety. no cooked crayfish like in sukontha.

the moo katar place you mean has been closed for 2 months and the building demolished it was great tho with entertainment

I like the one on the moat (western) just south of Suthep Road. Can't think of one with good ambience though. All the smoke would destroy it anyway.

next time just pour the leftover sauce in the soup water

Edited by rickthailand
  • Like 1

the moo katar place you mean has been closed for 2 months and the building demolished it was great tho with entertainment

seriously? thats a pity, will miss it

For those of us living on the East side of town, two of my favorites are:

1.) There is a very large one back behind the old Carefour on the super highway. Its tucked in between all the little bars. They have a guy slicing up different cuts of beef in real time. The beef tends to be decent quality and non very fatty. Something I rarely find at other places. They also have grilled prawns, etc. They also have a drink fountain and all sodas are included in the buffet.

2.) There is another one on the south side of Mahidol Rd. It's almost directly across from Nissan Northwave. This place is slightly different than normal in that they use a flat pan on top of coals and a separate hot pot instead of the dome shaped pan/ pot you are used to. This place also allows you to select from different cuts of beef and the quality is quite good. This place also provides smaller shrimp which I much prefer over the giant prawns, which you can then saute in butter on your pan.

Unfortunately, I don't know the proper name of either place. I'll try to find that information out and update this post when I get the names.

-Mestizo

For those of us living on the East side of town, two of my favorites are:

1.) There is a very large one back behind the old Carefour on the super highway. Its tucked in between all the little bars. They have a guy slicing up different cuts of beef in real time. The beef tends to be decent quality and non very fatty. Something I rarely find at other places. They also have grilled prawns, etc. They also have a drink fountain and all sodas are included in the buffet.

2.) There is another one on the south side of Mahidol Rd. It's almost directly across from Nissan Northwave. This place is slightly different than normal in that they use a flat pan on top of coals and a separate hot pot instead of the dome shaped pan/ pot you are used to. This place also allows you to select from different cuts of beef and the quality is quite good. This place also provides smaller shrimp which I much prefer over the giant prawns, which you can then saute in butter on your pan.

Unfortunately, I don't know the proper name of either place. I'll try to find that information out and update this post when I get the names.

-Mestizo

M

Mestizo, i know you know butter. Are they really giving you real butter at this mookata, not lard? Every mookata I've ever been to just puts out slices of pork fat to grease the grill.