Lifan 1000Cc Supersport

I don't know much about Lifan, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say it's imported from China and assembled in Thailand?

The Lifan Lf200GY-5 (Cross 200) and the LF250-B (Custom V250) are made in Thailand. They are actually exported to several markets that have restrictions on Chinese manufactured motor vehicles.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because a company mocks up a concept or prototype doesn't mean it's actually going to be produced.

Anyone see the Honda V4 at last year's motorshow?

honda-v4-concept3.jpg

Can't imagine we'll be seeing this on the road any time soon (at least until someone figures out how to make a motorcycle stick without using tires anyway...) thumbsup.gif

The Honda Concept V4 which was showed at several motor shows around the world uses tires as ever other motorcycle; it only has a fairing that covers them. Would the tire fairing work…? Is it not dangerous if you lean too much in a corner? All good questions, and probably that is the reason we not see it jet on the road.

But if you look at the Honda Concept V4 and the VFR1200F, which Honda introduced not so long ago, you can see clearly that some matching design and technical features. For instance the V4 engine with different front and rear cylinder setup…

sounds like a complete death-trap.....not good when stuff comes loose or falls off at 180 kph ermm.gif

chinese superbikes...now that is a scary thought!!!

The first time I rode a Lifan a foot peg broke when I give at a little suspension bounce. Stuff of nightmares.

Just because a company mocks up a concept or prototype doesn't mean it's actually going to be produced.

Agreed, but there is a big difference between a "rumor" and "being produced." This Lifan supersport is far from being produced, as is it far from a "rumor", Whether it's a working prototype or a mock-up, something was physically displayed in 2011. That V4 is a computer CGI image only (not to mention it looks as though it would only be able to operate in George Jetsons universe.)

Thanks Richard for the update. Some day Chinese manufactures will make bikes on par with Japan. The question is when. Having an R&D team in Japan working with Japanese, and now it appears working with the Italians, is a big step in the right direction. They have, after all, been working closely with Suzuki and have had ties with other Jap companies for decades.

Edited by NomadJoe

sounds like a complete death-trap.....not good when stuff comes loose or falls off at 180 kph ermm.gif

The first time I rode a Lifan a foot peg broke when I give at a little suspension bounce. Stuff of nightmares.

The first time i rode my Tiger Boxer (coming directly from the Tiger factory) the screws for mounting the front brake weren't tighten. This i would call a nightmare.

blink.png

Agreed, but there is a big difference between a "rumor" and "being produced." This Lifan supersport is far from being produced, as is it far from a "rumor", Whether it's a working prototype or a mock-up, something was physically displayed in 2011. That V4 is a computer CGI image only (not to mention it looks as though it would only be able to operate in George Jetsons universe.)

Thanks Richard for the update. Some day Chinese manufactures will make bikes on par with Japan. The question is when. Having an R&D team in Japan working with Japanese, and now it appears working with the Italians, is a big step in the right direction. They have, after all, been working closely with Suzuki and have had ties with other Jap companies for decades.

Actually, the Honda V4 concept has been showing up at motorshows since as far back as 2008.

10156_91008103023_0.jpg

From GizMag:

"The V4 Concept Model is meant to showcase Honda's intention to "use the power of dreams to take motorcycling somewhere it has never been before" - somewhere, presumably, where motorcycles do away with things like tyres, suspension, brakes, axles and final drive systems. Can YOU figure out a single piece of relevant information this machine is signalling about tomorrow's Hondas, or is it a simple styling exercise?" whistling.gif

The first time i rode my Tiger Boxer (coming directly from the Tiger factory) the screws for mounting the front brake weren't tighten. This i would call a nightmare.

blink.png

Yes, it's really terrible if a foodpeg breaks of a motorcycle... But nightmares happen with all motorcycles, not sure I will call Thai Kawasaki motorcycles any better... see the picture of a cracked frame of a Kawasaki Ninja 650R, and this without the new owner even doing anything extreme... Mechanics believe that it was already cracked while leaving the Kawasaki factory... that is some serious quality control issue....

post-12170-0-54308300-1338953614_thumb.j

blink.png

Yes, it's really terrible if a foodpeg breaks of a motorcycle... But nightmares happen with all motorcycles, not sure I will call Thai Kawasaki motorcycles any better... see the picture of a cracked frame of a Kawasaki Ninja 650R, and this without the new owner even doing anything extreme... Mechanics believe that it was already cracked while leaving the Kawasaki factory... that is some serious quality control issue....

Shame on your Richard- that is NOT a stock EX650.

Kawasaki has NEVER used hex bolts to mount the engine to the frame.

ER6nEngnRt.jpg

More likely that damage was caused by the owner. Since the stock bolts have been replaced one might assume that the owner had installed crash bungs on the bike. Then they crashed the bike, cracked the frame, removed the damaged crash bung, but forgot to reinstall the original factory bolts.

Kawasaki, like pretty much every other vehicle manufacturer, has had quality control issues over the years which usually result in a recall and fix.

Most recent Kawasaki factory recall involved a bad batch of circlips that were brittle and prone to failure:

2012 Kawasaki Motorcycle Recall

Kawasaki has recalled certain model Ninja 250, Ninja 650 and Versys motorcycles due footpeg issues; the Japanese manufacturer says 792 models are affected.

The 2012 motorcycles involved in the recalled are as follows: EX250JCF, EX250JCFA, EX250JCFAL, EX250JCFL, EX650ECF, EX650ECFL, KLE650CCF, KLE650CCFL.

Kawasaki says due to engine vibration and damage during assembly, the clips on the mounting pins for the passenger footpeg can break and detach from the motorcycle. If the footpeg detaches, it may cause a distraction to the rider and a road hazard for other drivers.

Kawasaki will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger footpeg pin clips, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on March 12.

Source: http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012/kawasaki-recalls-ninja-250-650-versys

Shame on you Richard for yet another bald faced lie.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

ER6nEngnRt.jpg

More likely that damage was caused by the owner. Since the stock bolts have been replaced one might assume that the owner had installed crash bungs on the bike. Then they crashed the bike, cracked the frame, removed the damaged crash bung, but forgot to reinstall the original factory bolts.

Kawasaki, like pretty much every other vehicle manufacturer, has had quality control issues over the years which usually result in a recall and fix.

Most recent Kawasaki factory recall involved a bad batch of circlips that were brittle and prone to failure:

Kawasaki has recalled certain model Ninja 250, Ninja 650 and Versys motorcycles due footpeg issues; the Japanese manufacturer says 792 models are affected.

The 2012 motorcycles involved in the recalled are as follows: EX250JCF, EX250JCFA, EX250JCFAL, EX250JCFL, EX650ECF, EX650ECFL, KLE650CCF, KLE650CCFL.

Kawasaki says due to engine vibration and damage during assembly, the clips on the mounting pins for the passenger footpeg can break and detach from the motorcycle. If the footpeg detaches, it may cause a distraction to the rider and a road hazard for other drivers.

Kawasaki will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger footpeg pin clips, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on March 12.

Source: http://www.ultimatem...-250-650-versys

Our Kawasaki expert speaks again, and again has now idea what he is talking about.... http://www.motorcycl...F/_/R-EPI-93423

It's remarkable how many recalls you can find from Thai manufactured Kawasaki models at the US government website http://www.cpsc.gov/ for the fun of it compare it to Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki motorcycles... (p.s. Lifan only has one recall/failure as a ATV did not meet the US enviromental specs)

Edited by Richard-BKK

ER6nEngnRt.jpg

Our Kawasaki expert speaks again, and again has now idea what he is talking about.... http://www.motorcycl...F/_/R-EPI-93423

It's remarkable how many recalls you can find from Thai manufactured Kawasaki models at the US government website http://www.cpsc.gov/ for the fun of it compare it to Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki motorcycles... (p.s. Lifan only has one recall/failure as a ATV did not meet the US enviromental specs)

Many people install frame protectors or mushrooms. If you risk breaking your Kawasaki frame without even having an accident, whats the use of such things?

Another report, same story:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/July/july16-22/jul2007fracturesreportedonkawasakier6frames/

But OK, shit happens everywhere. Why not stop bashing brands than? Lifan is well known for their reliable engines. If they would offer some more models of their interesting bikes they would sell a lot more in Thailand.

ER6nEngnRt.jpg

Good old Richard, done in yet again by his inability to READ simple English:

"

Kawasaki is to replace the cracked frame of an MCN reader’s ER-6f as a goodwill gesture but has not acknowledged a fault with the model.

The firm has attributed failures on the ER-6n naked version to vibration caused by aftermarket crash protectors.

"

Source: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/August/august6-12/aug0907kawasakireplacesmcnreaderscrackeder6frame/Kawasaki/ER-6F/_/R-EPI-93423

I made it bold and underlined it for you Richard. I'm actually rather surprised Kawasaki would give the owner a new frame when it's clear that the owner modification caused the problem in the first place.

Your claim that the bike came from the factory with a cracked frame is of course complete <deleted>.

Care to try again?

epic-fail-helmet-fail.jpg

Yep, be carefull when installing such aftermarket things like frame protectors (frame sliders) on your Kawasaki. You risk breaking the frame which is NOT covered by warranty smile.png

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/August/august6-12/aug0907kawasakireplacesmcnreaderscrackeder6frame/Kawasaki/ER-6F/_/R-EPI-93423

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/July/july16-22/jul2007fracturesreportedonkawasakier6frames/

Edited by wantan

Yep, modifications to frame and/or engine usually do void a factory warranty on any vehicle. Best to realize this fact and know what you're doing before you start messing about.

Yep, be carefull when installing such aftermarket things like frame protectors (frame sliders) on your Kawasaki. You risk breaking the frame which is NOT covered by warranty smile.png

http://www.motorcycl...F/_/R-EPI-93423

http://www.motorcycl...asakier6frames/

Yep, modifications to frame and/or engine usually do void a factory warranty on any vehicle. Best to realize this fact and know what you're doing before you start messing about.

I just put cut style frame sliders on my CBR 1000. I don't believe any modifications to the frame were made to do it. Do you think this will effect my warranty?

I just put cut style frame sliders on my CBR 1000. I don't believe any modifications to the frame were made to do it. Do you think this will effect my warranty?

If the sliders you installed bend or crack your frame would you expect the damage to be covered by your Honda warranty?

You should probably take a moment to READ your warranty.

Most vehicle warranties include language that specifically excludes damage caused by unauthorized modifications of the vehicle or installation of unauthorized parts.

If the sliders you installed bend or crack your frame would you expect the damage to be covered by your Honda warranty?

You should probably take a moment to READ your warranty.

Most vehicle warranties include language that specifically excludes damage caused by unauthorized modifications of the vehicle or installation of unauthorized parts.

Thanks for the advice.

If its as crap as everything else from china i doubt many people will buy one

they cant make 125cc and 250cc bikes properly yet so god help anyone who buys a 1000cc supersport

from china

If China can put a man in space then they can build a litre sportsbike...........maybe.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

they cant make 125cc and 250cc bikes properly yet so god help anyone who buys a 1000cc supersport

from china

If China can put a man in space then they can build a litre sportsbike...........maybe.

from china

the chinese government have unlimited cash to work on space age programs and probably world domination

i doubt lifan can compete with those resources and this bike will probably be cheap shit "cost focused " more

than cutting edge groundbreaking bike technology

1961 the farangs had a man in space ? thats a long time ago now in terms of tech advancements :D

Edited by YipYipYa123

Seem to recall that people used to say the same about the Japanese they say about the Chinese now.

While i would not volunteer to ride in a Chinese rocket to outerspace and expect to make it back, I do think that with the proper interest being shown they could definitely build world class bikes. Luckily for them they are using a Japanese designed engine and if anything has been learned from this forum, it's that the engines on all these cheap Chinese bikes are fairly robust if underpowered. If one is willing to risk the rest of the frame holding up, than perhaps this new bike is just what the Chinese companies need to see sell so they are convinced to produce higher quality stuff rather than thrive on the quick to make and cheap scooters.

The 1000cc sports bike market is crowded as it is. Would the Chinese bother to waste their time and resources???

If they could come in well under the competition in price and have a somewhat reliable product, I would suspect yes. The market is growing. With the worlds roads becoming more crowded and oil running out, motorcycles are only going to gain in popularity.

The 1000cc sports bike market is crowded as it is. Would the Chinese bother to waste their time and resources???

If they could come in well under the competition in price and have a somewhat reliable product, I would suspect yes. The market is growing. With the worlds roads becoming more crowded and oil running out, motorcycles are only going to gain in popularity.

of course a 1000cc bike will not bring you any fuel economy man Chinese or not as they burn more than a car.

And, i hope Chinese will not touch that segment - actually any segment above 200 cc - as whatever they touch, it is getting cheap.

of course a 1000cc bike will not bring you any fuel economy man Chinese or not as they burn more than a car.

Incorrect. 1000cc+ bikes get 40-60mpg. "A car" is very vague. The average non-hybrid compact eco-car gets about 35MPG. An average mid-sized car gets about 30MPG. Larger sedans and SUV's average about 20mpg. The average MPG in the US for new 2012 vehicles is 24.1mpg. The average for all the cars currently on the road is impossible to know, but it is of course way less than that.

In LOS the plastics are so cheap to replace that it just doesn't make much sense to fit crash bungs on a bike such as the Ninja 650. 2500-3500Baht for a set of frame sliders or 1500 for a side panel..... plus the need to replace foot pegs and brake/clutch levers too.

But back to the cracked frame, i do recall reading up about this 'so called production line fault' and as Tony pointed out it was down to the fitment of crash bungs, not a single other case has been reported on the multiple Kawasaki and 650 forums i frequent...

Back on topic :D

• Like 1

In LOS the plastics are so cheap to replace that it just doesn't make much sense to fit crash bungs on a bike such as the Ninja 650. 2500-3500Baht for a set of frame sliders or 1500 for a side panel..... plus the need to replace foot pegs and brake/clutch levers too.

But back to the cracked frame, i do recall reading up about this 'so called production line fault' and as Tony pointed out it was down to the fitment of crash bungs, not a single other case has been reported on the multiple Kawasaki and 650 forums i frequent...

Back on topic biggrin.png

Still slightly off-topic, but aren't crash bungs supposed to help prevent major repairs? I.e. case cover rashes and other things? And don't real racers use crash bungs? And aren't those real racers going down on their bikes? And if there is a problem with any bike's frame that is as widely raced as the er-6* bikes, why isn't there a huge amount of internet "press" about it? Or is it just possible that the owner of the bike in question simply had them installed incorrectly (would enough play in the mounting bolts allow deflection enough to cause this?) or a dodgy set?

• 3 weeks later...

Back on topic biggrin.png

Still slightly off-topic, but aren't crash bungs supposed to help prevent major repairs? I.e. case cover rashes and other things? And don't real racers use crash bungs? And aren't those real racers going down on their bikes? And if there is a problem with any bike's frame that is as widely raced as the er-6* bikes, why isn't there a huge amount of internet "press" about it? Or is it just possible that the owner of the bike in question simply had them installed incorrectly (would enough play in the mounting bolts allow deflection enough to cause this?) or a dodgy set?

The racers I talked to say that they don't use them because it can make a crash more dangerous and damaging by making the bike hop and tumble in a crash. These seems to be echoed in a lot of posts by forum users that race. Some have reported frame damage they say would not have happened if they didn't have crash bungs. They seem to be recommended more for or your slower speed crashes and tip overs that are more common in street riding, but there is not a consensus.

• Like 1

^ interesting about the frame sliders.

I had some on my ER-6n and once managed to let the bike fall over at standstill. It bounced up and down on the frame sliders, and there wasn't a scratch on it - not on the fairings, not even on the mirrors.

my friend had a spill on a new r6 recently and managed to wreck one side of the bike ,front and fairing , and smash the windscreen and take out the indiscator light and bend the footpegs

a set of frame sliders on it probably would have saved him a fortune

no idea what the repairs will cost but i dont know if r6 parts are stocked in thailand or not

ah ,boys and their toys........laugh.png