How Are Your Investments Doing?

tax free 5% is not exactly overwhelming considering that Sterling has lost an average of 6.8% per annum vs. Thai Baht during the last 5 years.

True, but all the drop occurred in just one 6-month period and was really due to the threat of QE and its side-effects. Also worth remembering that the THB suffered a similar huge drop over a similarly short time in the previous crash.

I have under 10% of my wealth here as there is no investment in Thailand that I care to put more than a token sum into, for various reasons but not least because it is unlikely that I will spend the rest of my life here. Putting a lot of money into a country in which I have no right of abode seems like borderline insanity to me. Investment for me is a two-way deal, but Thailand seems to want to keep everything stacked in its favour.

i fully agree with you on "investments" and would like to emphasize that i don't consider any investment in Thailand [quoting Yoshiwara] "beyond living considerations" as worthwhile. some TV-members, who were guests in my house, might now raise objections. but only those who are not aware that i do not consider the roof over my head, no matter how much i may have spent for it, as an investment. that i keep ample Baht in cash goes without saying.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naam hit the nail...

Darryl, yes of course it is only me to blame, I am in charge and I goofed by trusting (and paying) "advisors".

Yoshiwara, thanks for your advice...but it does not fit me as I have not been UK resident since 1982 and have not had any Sterling since way back.

I reside in Thailand.

In early 2010 I moved my Euros into Singapore dollars, about the only thing I have done right financially. (I think).

I recon my SGD at almost no interest is still ahead of where I would have been with GBP (or Euro) at 5% interest.

I am too old to risk capital, (what little I have).

Yes, I would have done better in Baht, but since ages I have been sitting here waiting for the Baht to collapse again!!!

In early 2010 I moved my Euros into Singapore dollars, about the only thing I have done right financially.

good move!

Yes, I would have done better in Baht

not better, it would have been the same except for a little additional interest. perhaps it's time now to move a part into THB to collect more than zero% interest?

Edited by Naam

In early 2010 I moved my Euros into Singapore dollars, about the only thing I have done right financially.

good move!

not better, it would have been the same except for a little additional interest. perhaps it's time now to move a part into THB to collect more than zero% interest?

I wouldn't.

good move!

I wouldn't.

your reasons why you wouldn't?

one has to consider and weigh 3.x% for THB vs. 0% for SGD. "Jangot" can keep the Baht in SG on, let's say 3m fixed, and convert them forward any time with a little loss into a currency of his preference should THB weaken considerably.

I got a surprise from my broker. I asked him to rate a couple stock picks and it appears that he all gloom and doom. He is very near Chicken Little. Is the sky falling?

one has to consider and weigh 3.x% for THB vs. 0% for SGD. "Jangot" can keep the Baht in SG on, let's say 3m fixed, and convert them forward any time with a little loss into a currency of his preference should THB weaken considerably.

Well for a start it breaks your commitment not to invest in Thailand outside of immediate consumption needs and holding substantial savings in Thai baht in excess of this represents an investment even if it is a cash deposit securing interest payments. On the other hand I do like an income stream. So.....? It would appear that 3%+ return a year is where your objection to investing in Thailand breaks down? Some are quite happy to go with this. Given Jangot's scenario you want to turn him into a currency trader?

I got a surprise from my broker. I asked him to rate a couple stock picks and it appears that he all gloom and doom. He is very near Chicken Little. Is the sky falling?

It has for him.

I received another email this morning advising me to wait until after the election and the first of the year.

Well for a start it breaks your commitment not to invest in Thailand outside of immediate consumption needs and holding substantial savings in Thai baht in excess of this represents an investment even if it is a cash deposit securing interest payments. On the other hand I do like an income stream. So.....? It would appear that 3%+ return a year is where your objection to investing in Thailand breaks down? Some are quite happy to go with this. Given Jangot's scenario you want to turn him into a currency trader?

what part of "keep the Baht in SG" do i have to explain in details? or do you consider holding the currency THB in Singapore as an "investment in Thailand"?

of course i don't want Jangot to become a currency trader. but we all started knowing only sh*t as far as financials and investing are concerned. you are never too young and never too old to start learning the basics. following a currency and, if need be, making a phone call "sell x and buy z" is not exactly rocket science. Jangot did this before and can do it again... i presume.

besides, it's not only a matter of THB 3.xx% yield. it's a matter of infinitely more yield than SGD 0.0xx%. for some people that's a matter of either noodle soup from a street vendor or eating chicken fried rice topped with an egg on a table in a restaurant while sitting on a chair. that both of us play in a different league does not change the facts.

• Like 1

what part of "keep the Baht in SG" do i have to explain in details? or do you consider holding the currency THB in Singapore as an "investment in Thailand"?

Yes.

besides, it's not only a matter of THB 3.xx% yield. it's a matter of infinitely more yield than SGD 0.0xx%. for some people that's a matter of either noodle soup from a street vendor or eating chicken fried rice topped with an egg on a table in a restaurant while sitting on a chair. that both of us play in a different league does not change the facts.

Topped with an egg?! Showing off now!

• Like 1

Funnily enough I've observed over the years that even though Thailand shoots itself in the foot regularly, the economic effects are usually temporary. Factors such as the Coup, and Thai floods can have an interesting impact on portfolio diversification. eg this year one factor in outperformance is the evening out of underperfomance last year due to the floods. This impact on timing can actually be useful on a portfolio, as Thailand can be doing well when others aren't. Doesn't always work tho' as 2008 was a bad year like most other equities!

smile.png

Indeed! I bought into Aberdeens New Thai Investment Trust in August last year (through Hargreaves Landsdown in UK). By early October i thought the flood situation would bring lasting problems, so i sold 75%.

The original 25% that i held are up 18% now!

Funnily enough I've observed over the years that even though Thailand shoots itself in the foot regularly, the economic effects are usually temporary. Factors such as the Coup, and Thai floods can have an interesting impact on portfolio diversification. eg this year one factor in outperformance is the evening out of underperfomance last year due to the floods. This impact on timing can actually be useful on a portfolio, as Thailand can be doing well when others aren't. Doesn't always work tho' as 2008 was a bad year like most other equities!

smile.png

Indeed! I bought into Aberdeens New Thai Investment Trust in August last year (through Hargreaves Landsdown in UK). By early October i thought the flood situation would bring lasting problems, so i sold 75%.

The original 25% that i held are up 18% now!

Careful now. When you sold the 75% you might have sold with the 'lasting problems' baked into the price.

The 18% recovery may represent a softening of those concerns, but if you think there is further trouble down the road, then you may be forecasting that that 18% advance is in itself soft and want to sell the other 25%.

Yes.

up to you laugh.png

Asia markets rallied today. Europe less so and us market futures currently up but not by a lot.

One piece of news not reported yet is I notice that Spanish and Italian bond yields jumped up today ( Italy getting close to 7% which is the danger zone)- this means that the markets think the Spanish 100 billion bailout is a failure. .... Or at least no where near a solution to the euro crisis

I'm in the red a lot currently, I.m shamed to tell a figure,but I hate to sell at a loss as I always heed the advice I got many moons ago.You only lose when you're selling at a loss.

I also recall that after the worst market crash in history,which lasted from 1929 till 1932, that as of today the share prices have recovered. ( and crashed and recovered several times over since)

the advice you got is excellent. don't sell! wait 70 or 80 years and all your losses will have vanished. we all know that history repeats itself.

I'm in the red a lot currently, I.m shamed to tell a figure,but I hate to sell at a loss as I always heed the advice I got many moons ago.You only lose when you're selling at a loss.

I also recall that after the worst market crash in history,which lasted from 1929 till 1932, that as of today the share prices have recovered. ( and crashed and recovered several times over since)

the advice you got is excellent. don't sell! wait 70 or 80 years and all your losses will have vanished. we all know that history repeats itself.

Selling at a loss is difficult and made worse if the price of the stock then promptly proceeds to then shoot upwards. However, there is no law that says that that particular stock is going to recover and there is the option of rotating into other asset classes.

I dumped several of my "dogs" last week. A bit of an uptick on Friday, so I lost a few bucks there...and was quite unhappy when looking at the futures yesterday. But today, all is well as the market is down. Trying to figure out where to put the cash now.

I dumped several of my "dogs" last week. A bit of an uptick on Friday, so I lost a few bucks there...and was quite unhappy when looking at the futures yesterday. But today, all is well as the market is down. Trying to figure out where to put the cash now.

You need to wait a bit longer (i am also fully cashed out)- the spanish bail out did zilch, sundays greek elections causing alot of uncertainty. The time to buy will be when the EU announces a serious plan under written by Germany in one way or another e.g. temporary or modified form of euro bonds. Then the markets will jump up , buy then, and get ready to sell a few weeks later for big profits.

The old days of buy and hold have ended- you can buy today hold for 30 yrs and see markets crash the day before you retire- the only secure and safe strategy is to become a trader- buying and selling over weeks/months to take profits when you can and build up your capital.

I dumped several of my "dogs" last week. A bit of an uptick on Friday, so I lost a few bucks there... and was quite unhappy when looking at the futures yesterday. But today, all is well as the market is down. Trying to figure out where to put the cash now.

XS0290125391 = 22.24%

USP7807HAM71 = 13.78%

You need to wait a bit longer (i am also fully cashed out)- the spanish bail out did zilch, sundays greek elections causing alot of uncertainty. The time to buy will be when the EU announces a serious plan under written by Germany in one way or another e.g. temporary or modified form of euro bonds. Then the markets will jump up , buy then, and get ready to sell a few weeks later for big profits.

The old days of buy and hold have ended- you can buy today hold for 30 yrs and see markets crash the day before you retire- the only secure and safe strategy is to become a trader- buying and selling over weeks/months to take profits when you can and build up your capital.

It is neither safe nor secure. It is another way of managing risk which is just as liable to failure.

I dumped several of my "dogs" last week. A bit of an uptick on Friday, so I lost a few bucks there... and was quite unhappy when looking at the futures yesterday. But today, all is well as the market is down. Trying to figure out where to put the cash now.

XS0290125391 = 22.24%

USP7807HAM71 = 13.78%

Never having invested directly in bonds, I'm researching this now. Thanks!!

XS0290125391 = 22.24%

USP7807HAM71 = 13.78%

Never having invested directly in bonds, I'm researching this now. Thanks!!

don't waste too much time Craig. i'm not sure but i think that both bonds are only in reach of what the Greatest Nation on Earth™ calls "qualified investors" as defined by the SEC "rule 144A".

It is neither safe nor secure. It is another way of managing risk which is just as liable to failure.

True- but better to make some losses along the way than buy and hold and lose everything the day before you retire

I was in a bit of a quandary this morning about whether i should put my cash back in the stock markets after seeing the NIKKEI jump 2%- would it be the beginning of the stock market jump up after the greek elections? But i held back- correctly- as Spanish and Italian bond yields jumped up into the danger zone this afternoon and Euro and American markets look to be down/heading down. Good call by me:)

I was in a bit of a quandary this morning about whether i should put my cash back in the stock markets after seeing the NIKKEI jump 2%- would it be the beginning of the stock market jump up after the greek elections? But i held back- correctly- as Spanish and Italian bond yields jumped up into the danger zone this afternoon and Euro and American markets look to be down/heading down. Good call by me:)

Very good. I was in the same situation. Decided to keep it in cash. I've read reports from 2 high level investors who said they are keeping a majority in cash until things calm down. As other reports have said, it could be a rocky road for the next several months.

Very good. I was in the same situation. Decided to keep it in cash. I've read reports from 2 high level investors who said they are keeping a majority in cash until things calm down. As other reports have said, it could be a rocky road for the next several months.

And ofcourse those 2 "high level" investors were buying today, and whenever they tell you it is time to buy, they are selling making a nice profit.clap2.gif Whereas you (and me) and other "low level" investors are contributing to their wealth, by not being brave enough to bet against the market.

If you just want to beat inflation, and are not afraid to be invested in Thailand, buy CPNRF. 7%+ yearly dividend, paid quarterly. Traded on SET, high trade=easy to sell. Low pricespread buy/sell. Gave that advice to a couple of friends some years back, earns me a couple of bottles of the good stuff every X-mas. thumbsup.gif