Manchester United

redrus

Too late Red. I posted it last week in the city thread. :D

Well I wouldn't be seen dead in there....! :)

Rubbish. I see you lurking in there frequently :D

All lies, you can't prove that.....!!!!! :D

redrus

From The Times-September 28, 2009

Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs rule Britannia for Manchester United

Stoke City 0 Manchester United 2

“We want six”, the Manchester United fans chanted with mock irony as Lee Mason, the fourth official, raised his board to indicate that there would be a minimum of four minutes of added time at the end of the second half at the Britannia Stadium.

The same amount of stoppage time had, of course, been signalled in the derby against Manchester City at Old Trafford the previous weekend, only for Michael Owen to claim a controversial 4-3 win for United in the 96th minute.

United were never going to need a helping hand from the officials against Stoke City, however, a point emphasised with much hilarity as Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager, indulged those supporters mischievously urging him to address the timekeeping by revealing his watch.

The Britannia is normally a horrible little place for opposing teams to come to, but the silence emanating from all but one corner of the noisiest ground in the Barclays Premier League once John O’Shea had plundered United’s second 13 minutes from the end told its own story.

United left it late to win here last season, Chelsea required an injury-time winner a fortnight ago and countless others have been made to suffer, but Stoke could have played long into the night on Saturday and still not managed a shot on target, let alone a goal. United’s domination was total.

The past month or so must have been rather dispiriting for United’s title rivals. The champions have rarely been at their best during that period, but having emerged from a tough run of games with seven successive victories in the wake of their 1-0 defeat by Burnley, they have again revealed themselves to be the team to beat.

With eminently winnable games at home to Sunderland and Bolton Wanderers to follow, United will hope to have established a small but significant lead at the top of the table by the time they visit Anfield on October 25, especially as Chelsea have Liverpool to play next at Stamford Bridge, probably minus a couple of key personnel, and Aston Villa away after that.

It was not all hunky-dory for United on Saturday. While the contributions of Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs were again something to marvel over, they also served to highlight the weaknesses in some of those players Ferguson, perhaps misguidedly, hopes will come to emulate his veteran performers.

Nani was at his infuriating worst, his failings underlined when he was replaced by Giggs and within seven minutes shown how to do it. The Portugal winger’s reluctance to release the ball earlier, an affliction born out of poor decision-making, will prevent him from becoming an established United player, let alone the next Cristiano Ronaldo, unless he does something about it soon.

Although he forced one fine save from Thomas Sorensen, Nani was too often guilty of dawdling on the ball, much to the frustration of Wayne Rooney who should have been played in on two occasions.

Giggs, 35, could do with pulling the winger aside and lecturing him on the importance of playing it simple, as the Welshman did when latching on to Darren Fletcher’s pass and squaring for Dimitar Berbatov to break the deadlock with a tap-in.

Giggs’s dead-ball delivery is also something for Nani to look at. O’Shea could not have asked for a more perfectly weighted free kick from which to head home a goal to cap his 350th appearance for the club.

“Yes, of course,” Ferguson said when asked if Nani needed to learn from watching Giggs play. “Ryan’s intelligence was the deciding factor.” Similarly, Michael Carrick and Anderson, both of whom started on the substitutes’ bench, could do worse than examine in detail Scholes’s game. “He was the best player on the pitch by a country mile,” Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, said of the 34-year-old.

United may have looked a little reliant on their two elder statesmen this season, but that, clearly, is for others to worry about.

.....and fingers crossed on this one.....

Manchester United say Owen Hargreaves is close to return

Times Online

Owen Hargreaves could be back playing in four weeks. The Manchester United midfielder has been out of action for a year having undergone operations on both knees to solve his tendinitis problems.

Hargreaves has done his rehabilitation work in the United States under the guidance of Dr Richard Steadman, the renowned knee surgeon, but returned to United's Carrington training complex earlier this week.

Sir Alex Ferguson says the 28-year-old will not do any ball work for a while but the United manager is optimistic that, if all goes to plan, Hargreaves could be back playing next month.

"I feel it will take us four weeks to get him into the rhythm of training again and get to the point of match play," Ferguson said. "Normally, when a player has been out for that length of time he is helped by the fact he is doing his rehabilitation with other players. Because he did it on his own in the USA, it is not easy.

"But he has the determination and resilience to see it through. He is now back with us and hopefully the boy gets a break and continues his progress without any further mishaps."

As Hargreaves' operation is rare, there must be some doubt over his chances of making a full recovery to the level that saw him win 42 caps for England, the last of which came against the USA in May last year. But Ferguson draws comfort from the number of players that have come back from cruciate knee ligament surgery, the latest being Joe Cole, of Chelsea.

"We don't see the fact he has been out a year as a handicap," Ferguson said. "Other players have been out a similar length of time. When Joe Cole came back on Wednesday you forget he was missing for nine months. It is achievable, particularly when they are young.

"He is not kicking a ball yet. The physio who attended to him over there will stay here for a week for the changeover. He and our physios are discussing exactly at what stage he is at but he should be into football training quite soon."

redrus

Stevie - have you been up to no good again....

Cristiano Ronaldo hit by voodoo spell from witch hired by 'famous acquaintance' of the former Manchester United star

By Sportsmail Reporter

Cristiano Ronaldo is under attack from a witch who has been hired to inflict a serious injury on the Real Madrid star.

It is claimed that a famous figure who knows the winger well has hired the practitioner to cast a voodoo spell.

‘I have nothing against this grand club,' wrote the anonymous witch in a letter to the El Mundo newspaper. 'I am a professional and get paid very well for using my powers.

'I have been contracted so Cristiano Ronaldo suffers a serious injury. I can’t promise that will be, but I can say he will be injured for more time than he plays.

'The person who has contracted me is famous, and knows the player personally.' (Wayne Rooney???)

Madrid have shrugged off the claims, with a spokesman describing it as 'a stupid thing just like all the others Madrid comes across every day’.

Meanwhile, the former Manchester United star's namesake - Brazil legend Ronaldo - says he has no qualms about seeing Madrid's new No 9 running around in his old jersey.

'I've seen that he's taken my number and my name,' said the Corinthians striker. 'I like that. He has a name too, so he could choose what he wanted.

'Tell him he can do very well with that shirt and with that number. He is a very great player. It goes without saying how important he is and how well he plays football.'

Madrid have also announced a huge new shirt sponsorship deal with gambling website Bwin believed to be worth £21million a year through to 2013. It marks an increase of about £5m a year.

3 or 7 i would imagine - has the timing changed in the UK, summer over now?

Don't think the clocks have gone back yet, which i guess means it'll be about a 2am kick off?

As i'll be setting the recorder, i need a definite on the channel. Anyone?

Really pisses me off that we have to go through all this scratching around for TV coverage details nonsense every week there's Champions League footie! :)

Guess i should save my moaning though until tomorrow, just in case i having something really serious to complain about!

P.S. Anyone been in the Liverpool thread today? Just poked my nose, as you do, and caught a bit of tumbleweed rolling past... :D

Agree with you guys. Not a great game, but always a good sign when you win without playing that well.

What was peeing me off was the number of times we were getting caught off-side. The was one occasion when Berba would have been through on goal if not for the laxidasical way he was strolling back from off-side. His slick flicks and back-heels are wonderful to watch but how long do we have to wait for him to start banging them in? For me he has the game to be scoring like Nistelroy - 30 plus a season should be no problem.

Not fair just singling him out though - most of the team were a bit sluggish, esp in the beginning when passes were going all over the place.

Valenicia had a quiet one too. Hope he pops one away soon and from there i think his confidence will grow.

Agree with you guys. Not a great game, but always a good sign when you win without playing that well.

What was peeing me off was the number of times we were getting caught off-side. The was one occasion when Berba would have been through on goal if not for the laxidasical way he was strolling back from off-side. His slick flicks and back-heels are wonderful to watch but how long do we have to wait for him to start banging them in? For me he has the game to be scoring like Nistelroy - 30 plus a season should be no problem.

Not fair just singling him out though - most of the team were a bit sluggish, esp in the beginning when passes were going all over the place.

Valenicia had a quiet one too. Hope he pops one away soon and from there i think his confidence will grow.

Re Valencia: great down the wing and crosser of the ball but finishes like Anderson.

Re Berba: dont disagree but it was his fabulous first touch that set up the winner from Carrick.

Re Berba: dont disagree but it was his fabulous first touch that set up the winner from Carrick.

Talking of fabulous first touches, how about that dink of Evra's! Produced few ooo's and oh-hor's from the Thai commentary.

On that subject, how sad will it be if we get far in this competition to have to watch the Thai coverage?!

Talking of fabulous first touches, how about that dink of Evra's! Produced few ooo's and oh-hor's from the Thai commentary.

On that subject, how sad will it be if we get far in this competition to have to watch the Thai coverage?!

Evra's touch was sublime, so was his going to sleep and not marking the guy on the back post...

Re: the broadcast, well, I have the mrs computer in the next room so between now and the next game gonna search for some live commentary that hopefully matches with the video feed from channel 3.

On a different note, I noticed that True Sport advertises itself now as only the "The King of the Premier League" or similar. Previously it was '.. of Football".

Re: the broadcast, well, I have the mrs computer in the next room so between now and the next game gonna search for some live commentary that hopefully matches with the video feed from channel 3.

Nice idea but there's nothing worse than having the picture and the sound out of sync with each other, which i would imagine is a high possibility.

Picture the scene............

Man Uniteds dressing room minutes before kick off in the derby and the reds are about to get their teamtalk.

"Right lads I want 110% commitment from the word go against this blue <deleted>.. Remember how the bast4rds did us on the anniversary of the Munich disaster. If you don't win, those Cockney fekkers at Chelsea will have 6 points on us. Now I don't care if you kick, punch or headbutt your'e way to victory, you must win this. Good luck"

Then Fergie walks in and says "thanks ref, I'll take it from here"

It tickled me anyway :)

Sorry to say, another tired looking performance. Not sure i've ever seen us pass as badly as that. So frustrating to watch!

And i don't know how you guys feel, but i thought Foster was at fault with both goals. Less so with the first one, but i do think he could have got down a bit quicker to parry away. With the second one, he seemed to lack any physical presence - he should have come flying out and leaped to punch the ball away, clattering into the forward and putting him off at the same time. Instead he seemed to let the striker completely dominate in the challenge. It was a turning point because until that time, we looked like we were going to really impose ourselves.

At the end, relieved to get a point out of it.

Fingers crossed for a draw in tonight's big game - or failing that, a Liverpool win.

I've seen enough of Foster. I don't think you can blame him on the first goal, but the second goal should never have been a goal; the ball was floating for ages, if he didn't think he could clatter Jones why didn't he just punch it?

He is a serious liability, honestly at this point i feel like we have the English version of Gomes (spur's crap keeper) playing for us. He costs us at least 1 goal a game, sometimes more.

I think he's been given more than a fair chance by Ferguson, it's time for him to hit the road, and time for Sir Alex to purchase some decent keepers. Look at City, they purchased Given...what a great buy...we need to go out and get an experienced, proven keeper. I'm thinking maybe Robert Green would be a good buy.

Thank god Van de sar will be back in a couple of weeks.

Its hard work sticking up for Foster all the time.....!!!!!

redrus

He's mentally shot - and just is unable to make decisions. He certainly needs to be replaced, and I think at least with Kursazk he doesn't look such a liability. I'm disappointed, I did think that Foster would have been able to push on and cement his place, however he clearly can't handle the pressure. Time for Fergie to get someone proven in, during the window.

United rant

Fergie’s enemies circle

Prospect, the union which represents referees, called for ’severe punishment’ following Sir Alex Ferguson’s ‘fat ref’ jibe last weekend. The Scot accused referee Alan Wiley of not being fit enough to take charge of a Premier League game following United’s draw with Sunderland at Old Trafford.

Alan Leighton, the national secretary of Prospect, signalled the referee’s fight-back, calling for a suspension in the case. The FA has already asked Ferguson to explain his comments, where the Scot suggested Wiley was taking long breaks during the match due to a lack of match fitness.

“I don’t know what Sir Alex earns but a small fine or a touchline suspension would be like water off a duck’s back to him so I think there has to be some recognition that this is a serious allegation that needs to be properly dealt with and punished severely,” said Leighton.

“There are issues around suspension from the job, that would be new territory that hasn’t happened before but I think the FA has to grab the nettle on this one.

“We have to be talking about punishments that are going to really lead to a change in behaviour.”

Leighton, who has appointed himself judge and jury, called for the FA to act firmly in the name of the Respect Campaign to restore Alan Wiley’s reputation.

Meanwhile former referee – latterly mouthpiece-for-hire – Jeff Winter called Ferguson a “coward and a bully,” suggesting that Wiley sue the United chief.

“It was a cowardly attack – Sir Alex wouldn’t have said it to Alan Wiley’s face,” Winter told The Guardian.

“Every game Alan Wiley takes charge of now where he makes a decision which upsets some fans is going to result in chants of ‘You’re not fit to referee’, he’s going to be known as the ‘unfit ref’. Sir Alex won’t care though. He’s a knight of the realm and he thinks he’s untouchable, bullet proof.

“But he’s also a bully. Alan Wiley had not contributed in any shape or form to United only drawing and he cannot fight back. It won’t happen but, if I was Alan, I’d be tempted to sue Sir Alex.”

Given the media-frenzy that has now been whipped up by Ferguson’s comments it is likely that the FA, which has a history of excessively punishing United players, will hand Ferguson a warning and fine for the comments.

However, under the FA’s own rules, it is hard to pinpoint how the association could charge its leading manager. In the summer the FA issued an edict that stopped managers from speaking about officials before matches, although they are free to discuss referee’s performances in the context of the game. However, the rules allow no implication of bias or comments of a personal nature.

Ferguson’s comments, created to divert attention away from his players, must surely fall under the auspices of contextual comments about the referee’s performance. This is true whether Ferguson’s comments are correct or not.

Tellingly, Winter, a narcissistic freemason, also claimed that officials are now less likely to award United decisions following Ferguson’s attack on one of their own.

“I think Sir Alex may have overstepped the line this time and he may be about to get his comeuppance,” he said.

“I think referees will be so incensed about this that Sir Alex may find that United no longer get the benefit of the doubt on certain decisions.”

Food for thought next time Ferguson wants to accuse referees of deliberate bias.

Link........... (as there are other links in the text)

redrus

“I think referees will be so incensed about this that Sir Alex may find that United no longer get the benefit of the doubt on certain decisions.”

There we go. Concrete evidence that the Refs have been giving the benefit of the doubt to United.

I say string SAF up by his Sporran (sp) and drop him from 20ft with Foster underneath to catch him. That should make a good example of him. :)

“It was a cowardly attack – Sir Alex wouldn’t have said it to Alan Wiley’s face,” Winter told The Guardian.

Yeah SAF is so shy about saying anything to a Ref's face...??? Moron

:)

redrus