What Books Are People Reading Now ?

Ron19

I have just finished abook called "Japans Greatest Victory -Britains Worst Defeat" from the Japenese perspective "The capture of Singapore, 1942.

The author is Colonal Masanobu Tsuji, (translated into english) and he was part of the planning committee for the invasion. He also took part in the

invasion itself. I don't agree with a lot of what they did, but the planning,implimentation and the capitulation by the allied forces made for some interesting

reading.

I have just started on my next book which is "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just finished a book called "Your Investment Guide to Thailand" and it's really really awesome biggrin.pnggiggle.gifthumbsup.gif

But on a serious note I read a book called "How to Start Up and Stay Up in Thailand" by Roy Tomizawa (published by Alpha Research) which I liked although its quite a few years old now. Lots of interviews with foreigners in business in Thailand with interesting insights to be had

Edited by ThailandInvestmentGuide

i hate books why read when you can get the dvd or blueray,its the 21st century now, book are things of the 1900s,cop on buy a dvd player.goof.gif bookscheesy.gif

Just finished reading "The Third Reich at War" by Richard J. Evans. Absolutely no idea where you can buy the talking version on DVD. Now started reading "The Private Life of Chairman Mao" by Zhisui Li. Same comment applies re DVD

A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn. This is a must read for anybody that wants to balance out the revisionist lies they were taught about American History in school. Henry Kissinger once said, "History is the memory of the state." The U.S. is fond of remembering its glories, but has a difficult time remembering its oppression, back stabbing, desertion of friends and state sponsored murder -- to say nothing of the disembowelment of the Bill of Rights that has gone on since its inception.

jthis book just gives another perspective that lets the reader draw his or her own conclusions.

Reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and although can seem a bit repetitive, is interesting to say the least.

read that last year....very interesting.......I found a very old tuppenny copy ( Victorian silver jubilee gift to British school kids) of the new testament I used to keep in my boats life-raft ditty bag ( hey no agnostics or atheists in the trenches!!). Mathew Mark Luke and John seem to have plagiarized each other?

OP, thanks for the tip, I have an interest in the Fall of Singapore, I was down there researching the story a couple of times last year.

I'm reading The Imtelligent Entreprenuer, a business book about how some Harvard contemporaries built their businesses.

presently with Never let me go by that japanese fellow, strange but engaging...and before that Minority Report, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Bourne Identity...mundane but ye gots to look at these things to see what all the fuss is about...lackluster prose in most cases but a good story...but 3 headed dogs, pre-emptive murder and amnesiac assasins?...I mean really...I gots War and Peace on the kindle but I'm waitin' before making the leap...

Reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and although can seem a bit repetitive, is interesting to say the least.

An interesting read, but repetitive as u say. Makes some good observations but not going to change many peoples minds....

The Atheist Manifesto by Michel Onfrey is a good read also if u enjoy the Dawkins book.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by BookMan

i hate books why read when you can get the dvd or blueray,its the 21st century now, book are things of the 1900s,cop on buy a dvd player.goof.gif bookscheesy.gif

I suppose reading books helps us develop our own communication skills - it improves our own literacy. I've always encouraged my children to read, and I am glad that you support that view.

SC

Edit: By the way, I'm struggling my way through an Saturday, by Ian McEwan, and also an e-book sent by a friend who's title eludes me for the moment; the latter I find an easier read... for some reason I just find Ian McEwan's characters irritating.

Edited by StreetCowboy

'for some reason I just find Ian McEwan's characters irritating....'

that's intentional...makes up for a weak story...Ian McEwan never has impressed me...but the movie adaptations are entertaining; take the scene where the english actress emerges from the fountain in her underwear...remarkable understated eroticsism...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

OP, thanks for the tip, I have an interest in the Fall of Singapore, I was down there researching the story a couple of times last year.

I'm reading The Imtelligent Entreprenuer, a business book about how some Harvard contemporaries built their businesses.

Well worth reading if you are interested in the subject.I sourced it from "The Book Depository" in England.ISBN 1-86227-129-1

and ISBN 978-1-86227-129-6. Published by Spellmount (publishers)Ltd9781862271296.jpg.

presently with Never let me go by that japanese fellow, strange but engaging...and before that Minority Report, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Bourne Identity...mundane but ye gots to look at these things to see what all the fuss is about...lackluster prose in most cases but a good story...but 3 headed dogs, pre-emptive murder and amnesiac assasins?...I mean really...I gots War and Peace on the kindle but I'm waitin' before making the leap...

I, too, have a Kindle. And I read War and Peace last year -- in hard cover. I love my Kindle, but part of the mystique of War and Peace is its sheer heft. Ya gotta read that one in hard cover.

I am reading The Pyrates by George MacDonald Frazer . There are some brill cariacatures , Colonel Blood , Black Sheba , Don Lardo and Anne Bonnie swashbuckling , stealing and double dealing up and down the Spanish Main .

look'ee for candlelit reading down in the orlop wi the rats and hidden gold aarr

A couple more which I have read recently and found very interesting are: – "The Conquest of New Spain" by Bernal Diaz and translated into English by J M Cohen and it is a first-hand account of the overthrow of the Aztec Empire by the Spanish as well as preliminary explorations of the Mexican coast under Cordoba; and "The American West" by Dee Brown which shoots down a lot of the myths surrounding the West, cowboys, Indians and much of what went on.

Do not read fiction as a rule, however I did read, "Lovely Bones" and found it a good read, so followed up and watched the movie, which wasn't as good as the book!!

An interesting read, but repetitive as u say. Makes some good observations but not going to change many peoples minds....

The Atheist Manifesto by Michel Onfrey is a good read also if u enjoy the Dawkins book.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

i would also recommend god is not great - how religion poisons everything by the late, great christopher hitchens. youtube him as well if you have the chance, there is some great footage of the man in action, debating believers.