What Books Are People Reading Now ?

Ron19

Just followed DMC1's advice and downloaded "Fooling Houdini".......1/3 of the way through and a very interesting read, especially about the world renowned card expert who is .........blind.

Amazing stuff.

I loved the book and I've got to admit afterwards I spent a lot of time on youtube looking at how the heck some of these guys do these card deals, tricks and sleights.

Yes I love magic tricks.

For me knowing how it is done does not take away any of the "magic", it only makes me respect the skills of the magician even more.

Looks like a fascinating book, will certainly have a rad of that sometime into the future.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B2S at Central .

This book-shop in Central Pattaya was by far the biggest and IMHO the best, but last month they were having a huge sale of all of their English language titles and I got the impression that they were closing this side of their business (in Pattya at least). There are a couple of Bookzine shops in town but they are fairly small - looks like I'll need to go to BKK in future to stock-up sad.png

Be interesting if they are closing the English language section of the business: pattaya is one place you would think that could support it.

Printed books, for fiction/history/Bio/mind body spirit are going to go down the path of CDs I feel.

Anyone have thoughts on the future of printed books?

Yes, with technology screaming ahead at a mind-boggling speed, it is only a matter of time before new printed versions of books will not be available, or basically publishing companies will diminish.

Look how quickly the music industry has changed through technology....78 rpm vinyl....33 & 1/3 rpm......45's......reel to reel tapes....

....8 track cartridges......cassette tapes.......compact discs....MP3......iPods....

I can see libraries becoming the future museums of literature.

You prompted me to find out who is behind these fantastic new versions of classic works. Turns out it is an ex oxford philosophy prof.

I wonder if he takes requests...

What would you like to request?

How about Hobbes' Leviathan or Behemoth.

You prompted me to find out who is behind these fantastic new versions of classic works. Turns out it is an ex oxford philosophy prof.

Classic works. Did you request them with the Oxford Prof?

Gavin Menzies. Anyone read Gavin Menzies?

He wrote 1421 & 1435 (about the Chinese circumnavigating the world and discovering most countries) He has a new book out on Atlantis, published late last year..

I have read 1421 and also viewed criticism of his findings and interpretations of research. The book is fascinating reading, but is it factual??

Anyone else have an opinion on Gavin Menzies??

An extract about 1421:

In the book, Menzies concludes that only China had the time, money, manpower and leadership to send such expeditions and then sets out to prove that the Chinese visited lands unknown in either China or Europe. He claims that from 1421 to 1423, during the Ming Dynasty of China under Emperor Zhu Di (朱棣) the fleets of Admiral Zheng He (鄭和), commanded by the Chinese captains Zhou Wen(周聞), Zhou Man (周滿), Yang Qing (楊慶), and Hong Bao (洪保), discovered Australia, New Zealand, the Americas, Antarctica, and theNortheast Passage; circumnavigated Greenland, tried to reach the North and South Poles, and circumnavigated the world beforeFerdinand Magellan.

http://www.gavinmenzies.net/lost-empire-atlantis/the-book/

http://www.gavinmenzies.net/china/about/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Menzies

He wrote 1421 & 1435 (about the Chinese circumnavigating the world and discovering most countries) He has a new book out on Atlantis, published late last year..

I have read 1421 and also viewed criticism of his findings and interpretations of research. The book is fascinating reading, but is it factual??

An extract about 1421:

In the book, Menzies concludes that only China had the time, money, manpower and leadership to send such expeditions and then sets out to prove that the Chinese visited lands unknown in either China or Europe. He claims that from 1421 to 1423, during the Ming Dynasty of China under Emperor Zhu Di (朱棣) the fleets of Admiral Zheng He (鄭和), commanded by the Chinese captains Zhou Wen(周聞), Zhou Man (周滿), Yang Qing (楊慶), and Hong Bao (洪保), discovered Australia, New Zealand, the Americas, Antarctica, and theNortheast Passage; circumnavigated Greenland, tried to reach the North and South Poles, and circumnavigated the world beforeFerdinand Magellan.

http://www.gavinmenz...antis/the-book/

http://www.gavinmenz...et/china/about/

http://en.wikipedia....i/Gavin_Menzies

I read 1421 and i was intrigued but not surprised.. Even if G. Menzies is branded as a charlatan by the " real " scientists

, at least some of what he writes about must be true.

We must not forget that it's the Greek and the Roman civilizations who start to record the historical events and science discoveries, it would be silly to think that before them there was not civilization on the Planet.smile.png

btw, very nice thread, which i'm following attentively..I read Peter Hoeg recently, " Elephant's Guardian's Sons ".. Translated into Italian of course.. I really like this author .. Maybe some of you know " Smilla " they made a movie from it.

Classic works. Did you request them with the Oxford Prof?

No. I want to think what I really want to read. I'll read Hume' history of England vol. 1, and if that is unreadable then I'll know what to request...

An extract about 1421:

http://www.gavinmenz...antis/the-book/

http://www.gavinmenz...et/china/about/

http://en.wikipedia....i/Gavin_Menzies

I read 1421 and i was intrigued but not surprised.. Even if G. Menzies is branded as a charlatan by the " real " scientists

, at least some of what he writes about must be true.

We must not forget that it's the Greek and the Roman civilizations who start to record the historical events and science discoveries, it would be silly to think that before them there was not civilization on the Planet.smile.png

Yes i think Menzies used the bare bones of truth for most of his writings.

As I understand it, and a point often blurred by controversial assertions he makes, is that the Chinese understood Longitude hundreds of years before its use was 'discovered' in the West.

Menzies makes a lot of assertions and cherry picks facts to suit these assertions, which doesn't help his cause. My father is a supporter of Menzies and his research and we have this argument whenever his name comes up.

Having said that, I would still like to read his Atlantis book.

As you say, our perception of past history is often based on writings that have survived, or the more obvious powerful civilisations. How erroneous might our understanding of parts of Greek history be, based as it is on a handful of writings?

There have been some fascinating discoveries of civilisations in recent times in desert areas, underneath cities built on top of them, under layers of volcano ash. There are certainly more to be discovered and understood, changing our understanding of human history

Yes, with technology screaming ahead at a mind-boggling speed, it is only a matter of time before new printed versions of books will not be available, or basically publishing companies will diminish.

Look how quickly the music industry has changed through technology....78 rpm vinyl....33 & 1/3 rpm......45's......reel to reel tapes....

....8 track cartridges......cassette tapes.......compact discs....MP3......iPods....

I can see libraries becoming the future museums of literature.

CDs have come and are almost gone so quickly. 20 years ago a new release CD would set you back $30ish in Australia. I don't know how I ever afforded to buy them. Now I can go to YouTube and listen to thousands of songs, then download them for free or a dollar or two if I like them. technology here has certainly opened up possibilities

Print on Demand books are a recent-ish thing. All those out of print rare books that used to be difficult to source and cost good money are now often available as print on demand, and I would assume as a file to be downloaded now also.

Another interesting phenomenon I am noticing is how many people are disposing of their entire book collection and moving to e-reading devices. I am seeing many over 50's starting to dabble in the electronic method of reading and also offloading their lifetime collection of books.

@ Bookman....I am over 50.......or so my passport tells me, and since I have started reading on a "Kindle" I have realised that I have read more and varied books than I would have with traditional paperbacks.

I still brought all my books here to Thailand and they are happily sitting on shelves in our Buddha room.....probably only just shy of 200 without counting, but I don't want to part with them.......silly or what?

Re- Gavin Menzies.......in my past life I was a Master Mariner and didn't get to sail all around the world but got to see many interesting places. I have always felt that the Chinese have been more advanced in civilisation and technology than other civilisations (if that makes any sense) and have also been very secretive about themselves and their history.

You have piqued my interest in 1421 & 1435.............thanks for that.

Good thread............btw just finished "Fooling Houdini".......a must read.

Cheers.

at home, bill bryson

more brysonesque light entertainment. interesting factoids and amusing digressions centering on a sort of loose history of the domestic unit in europe/america.

in terms of style, nothing new - if you like bryson, you'll like it. if you don't you won't - he's not everyone's cup of tea.

I've just finished Don Winslow's book "The Power of The Dog". Brilliant - I now have to find and read his other stuff.

James Ellroy says of it:- "The Power of The Dog is the first great dope novel since Dog Soldiers thirty years ago.It's frightening and sad, with a superbly sustained intensity. It's a beautifully compressed vision of hell, with all its attendant moral madness".

I think I'll read it again - it's that good.

@ Bookman....I am over 50.......or so my passport tells me, and since I have started reading on a "Kindle" I have realised that I have read more and varied books than I would have with traditional paperbacks.

I still brought all my books here to Thailand and they are happily sitting on shelves in our Buddha room.....probably only just shy of 200 without counting, but I don't want to part with them.......silly or what?

Re- Gavin Menzies.......in my past life I was a Master Mariner and didn't get to sail all around the world but got to see many interesting places. I have always felt that the Chinese have been more advanced in civilisation and technology than other civilisations (if that makes any sense) and have also been very secretive about themselves and their history.

Cheers.

Yes, i think a kindle opens up a world of possibilities and when this particular career of mine ends I will be there with one thumbsup.gif .

1421 is a fascinating read, I think you will enjoy that. Let us know how you like it.

I'm looking forward to Fooling Houdini, based on recommendations on this thread. (if i had a kindle I would have read it by now..biggrin.png .)

I also have 2 Flashman novels sitting here ready to go, also based on a recommendation on this thread. Has been a long long time since i read a Flashman!

Also 2 non fiction books, History, both of which I will report on when finished.

Thanks Ron for starting up this thread!

I've just finished Don Winslow's book "The Power of The Dog". Brilliant - I now have to find and read his other stuff.

James Ellroy says of it:- "The Power of The Dog is the first great dope novel since Dog Soldiers thirty years ago.It's frightening and sad, with a superbly sustained intensity. It's a beautifully compressed vision of hell, with all its attendant moral madness".

I think I'll read it again - it's that good.

Wow. It must be good if you are going to go straight back into it biggrin.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Winslow). Ill add that to my reading list when i see it again.

That is a good quote from James Ellroy. I read his early novels and enjoyed them. Ellroy's memoir, 'My Dark Places', is worth a read. It revolves around the murder of his mother (when he was aged ten) and his later life investigation of the case intermingled with memories from childhood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Dark_Places_(book)

When I am reading a book I really enjoy I actually get a little sad for the last fifty or so pages, knowing the book is going to end. I don't slow down my reading but the tinge of sadness lingers: i want that book to keep on keeping on. ermm.gif

Cheers.

Yes, i think a kindle opens up a world of possibilities and when this particular career of mine ends I will be there with one thumbsup.gif .

1421 is a fascinating read, I think you will enjoy that. Let us know how you like it.

I'm looking forward to Fooling Houdini, based on recommendations on this thread. (if i had a kindle I would have read it by now..biggrin.png .)

I also have 2 Flashman novels sitting here ready to go, also based on a recommendation on this thread. Has been a long long time since i read a Flashman!

Also 2 non fiction books, History, both of which I will report on when finished.

Thanks Ron for starting up this thread!

I read 1421 more or less cover to cover while spending a day at Don Muang, waiting for a flight to Taiwan, as my own was cancelled due to typhoon. Its really well written, in that it holds the attention. I've never enjoyed a wait at an airport so much!

SC

Is there a book "Seven Pounds". Just watched the movie and many tears. Usually the book is better so just curious. Could look it up myself but this is a hint.

That is a good movie indeed.

I do not believe that was based on any book.

The Garlic Ballads - Mo Yan

The peasants of Paradise County have been living a hardscrabble existence virtually unchanged for hundreds of years, until a 1987 glut on the garlic market forces them to watch the crop that is their lifeblood wilt, rot, and blacken in the fields - leading them to storm the seat of corrupt Communist officialdom in an apocalyptic riot. Against this epic backdrop unfold three intricately intertwined tales of love, loyalty, and retribution: between man and woman, father and child, friend and friend. Railing against the chaos and destruction is the blind, almost Homeric bard, the street singer Zhang Kou, whose insistent raised voice is the conscience of his beloved land - and whose fate will mirror the country's. - from Google books

Just tried to order 1421 on my Kindle.......only available in hard cover or paperback........buggar!!!!

They had an offer to get all 3......1421, 1434, 1491 at a discount.........so bit the bullet and will have to wait 4 weeks for delivery.

I love shopping after a few happy ales.......doesn't seem so painful. cheesy.gif

The B2S Bookstore in Central Festival, Phuket, had a pretty good sale on towards the end of July. 75% off EVERY English language book in store. Hope the one in Jungceylon has a huge clearance like that soon.

Picked up the tremendously cheesy sounding 'Bangkok Bob and the Missing Mormon' by Stephen Leather (and got what I paid for, discount included)

Also;

- 'The Google Story' by David A Vise

- 'Lights out in Wonderland' by DBC Pierre, and

- 'Tell All' by Chuck Palahnuik

Each of them ended up being under 100 Baht.

Just tried to order 1421 on my Kindle.......only available in hard cover or paperback........buggar!!!!

They had an offer to get all 3......1421, 1434, 1491 at a discount.........so bit the bullet and will have to wait 4 weeks for delivery.

I love shopping after a few happy ales.......doesn't seem so painful. cheesy.gif

Never drunk online shop! laugh.png

Is 1491 the name being given to his Atlantis book?

The B2S Bookstore in Central Festival, Phuket, had a pretty good sale on towards the end of July. 75% off EVERY English language book in store. Hope the one in Jungceylon has a huge clearance like that soon.

Picked up the tremendously cheesy sounding 'Bangkok Bob and the Missing Mormon' by Stephen Leather (and got what I paid for, discount included)

Also;

- 'The Google Story' by David A Vise

- 'Lights out in Wonderland' by DBC Pierre, and

- 'Tell All' by Chuck Palahnuik

Each of them ended up being under 100 Baht.

Loved Fight Club!

Have read all of Mo Hayders books recently, really enjoyed them. Just finished Get Rommel, which was an interesting read. Time to download some more books onto my Kindle today.

I really enjoy the Jack Caffery series. I read 'Gone' about 6 months back (?)and loved that one!

Just finished "The Race", Richard North Patterson, not heavy, just an entertaining look at the American Political/Religion/Racist situation with regard to voting in the presidential elections. Good when she's watching Thai soapies.

I am yet to read a RN Patterson. I have tried James Patterson and I enjoyed the first few I read, but then they started to get a bit same-same.

Now he has franchised his name out and co written so many books that I have no idea what is what with him!

Having said that. I have one of the recent Alex Cross novels on my shelf to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Patterson_bibliography