What Books Are People Reading Now ?

Ron19

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last few minutes I've just finished 'Savages' by Don Winslow. This man rocks! None of his books that I've read so far follows a discernible formula, like so many of the 'airport book stand' writers tend to offer. This book was good enough to encourage Oliver Stone to turn it into a movie - which I have not yet seen, but very much want to.

This time he tries a very sparse and tight narrative style. It's imaginative, and you cannot help but identify with the characters. It has to do with a couple of interesting guys with very different histories and skills, who have investigated the top end of pot growing and, having become hugely successful as a result, find themselves being fingered and compromised by a Mexican cartel. The guys share a girlfriend - their mutual affection for her leading them into war with the cartel when she is kidnapped by the cartel.

I see that I have a good few others of his books to read, but if they're anywhere near as good as those I've read so far, I have lots to look forward to. I can't think of anyone to compare him with. He's that good.

I tried a couple of Terry Pratchett books, and because he's so raved about, I guess I'll have to try again to see what I might have missed, 'cos those that I did read did not do so much for me. As for Len Deighton, he's always been a good read - whatever direction he takes.

I rather like this book thread - it introduces me to lots more potential good reads. We should keep it going.

Good Morning All!

Kids Tough As Old Boots - Don Cook

I consider myself fortunate, as to where I live there is an AUA library with quite a good selection of reading material. Buying books, both new and used, can be expensive. Although, I am an author and have published many books on e-books format - my budget does not extend to purchasing a Kindle or Android.

Anyway - I am somewhat of a mongrel/hybrid with mixed lineage. My Mum was English and the above book details life and conditions in her time before WW2, in England. I found it compelling reading and I hope that you may also do so.

All of the very best at this seasonal time of year!

Gladiator

In the last few minutes I've just finished 'Savages' by Don Winslow. This man rocks! None of his books that I've read so far follows a discernible formula, like so many of the 'airport book stand' writers tend to offer. This book was good enough to encourage Oliver Stone to turn it into a movie - which I have not yet seen, but very much want to.

This time he tries a very sparse and tight narrative style. It's imaginative, and you cannot help but identify with the characters. It has to do with a couple of interesting guys with very different histories and skills, who have investigated the top end of pot growing and, having become hugely successful as a result, find themselves being fingered and compromised by a Mexican cartel. The guys share a girlfriend - their mutual affection for her leading them into war with the cartel when she is kidnapped by the cartel.

I see that I have a good few others of his books to read, but if they're anywhere near as good as those I've read so far, I have lots to look forward to. I can't think of anyone to compare him with. He's that good.

I tried a couple of Terry Pratchett books, and because he's so raved about, I guess I'll have to try again to see what I might have missed, 'cos those that I did read did not do so much for me. As for Len Deighton, he's always been a good read - whatever direction he takes.

I rather like this book thread - it introduces me to lots more potential good reads. We should keep it going.

Agree with you about Don Winslow, but there are plenty of other great writers out there producing non formulaic books in a similar genre,

Any of the following writers are as good as Winslow and some are better ;

Newton Thornberg ; R J Ellorry; James Sallis; Ken Bruen; George Pelicanos; Charlie Huston ; etc. Enjoy.

I have my suspicions about Terry Prachett...when in the UK his fans club together with secret handshakes and frown distainfully when ye wanna talk about Dickens, Flaubert and Jane Austen as interpreted by the actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson...

the brits are a clannish lot and perpetuate their ignorance when they ignore the opinion of a non-clansman...

and then, someone meekly advances with: 'that tutsiwarrior appears to be well read and is in no way unpleasant...'

and then a smelly guy in tweeds snarls: 'get back, ye unpatriotic bastid...'

I tried a couple of Terry Pratchett books, and because he's so raved about, I guess I'll have to try again to see what I might have missed, 'cos those that I did read did not do so much for me.

Terry Prachett does nothing for me either. I could never see what the fuss was about.

I have read one or two novels by Don Winslow and enjoyed them, but it sounds like I need to check more out.

Agree with you about Don Winslow, but there are plenty of other great writers out there producing non formulaic books in a similar genre,

Any of the following writers are as good as Winslow and some are better ;

Newton Thornberg ; R J Ellorry; James Sallis; Ken Bruen; George Pelicanos; Charlie Huston ; etc. Enjoy.

See? that's what I mean about this being an interesting thread. Of the writers you've mentioned, all, (with the exception of George Pelicanos, whom I've read a couple of, and much enjoyed), are unknown to me. I really must get that Kindle! So much to read, so little time.

Edited by richardjm65

Testament Of Youth. Vera Brittain.

In 2009 it was announced that a feature film adaptation of Testament of Youth was in development by BBC Films and Heyday Films {producer David Heyman. This has the support of the Vera Brittain Estate, Brittain's daughter Shirley Williams, and Brittain's biographer Mark Bostridge who is acting as consultant.[2] Saoirse Ronan was cast to play Brittain in 2012. [3]

Edited by kevin2008

I tried a couple of Terry Pratchett books, and because he's so raved about, I guess I'll have to try again to see what I might have missed, 'cos those that I did read did not do so much for me.

Terry Prachett does nothing for me either. I could never see what the fuss was about.

I have read one or two novels by Don Winslow and enjoyed them, but it sounds like I need to check more out.

I'm a Brit and I don't like Terry Prachett books.

I lost my Arthur C Clarke , Tales of thee Grande Bank , probably on the submarine on the way home , before I could finish it .

I have now started reading , The General Danced at Dawn By George MacDonald Fraser . I was belly laughing at the officer selection board chapter .

No, I have not but sounds like one for future reading !

A friend recommended that one to me. She herself likes vampire and horror so I was a bit unsure, but I like post apocalyptic , so it might work for me.

I believe that the first book is a good 800 pages, with the second one just being released with another 2 years for number 3!

Have recently finished the three books shown under.Each one a ripping good yarn in the Wilbur Smith style.

post-140056-0-95106000-1356145969_thumb.post-140056-0-83513800-1356146004_thumb.post-140056-0-74734900-1356146062_thumb.

Have just started reading this one.

post-140056-0-64736800-1356146147_thumb.

I have heard Wilbur Smith give a talk and he can captivate an audience with a yarn. I can imagine he can also tell a good story on the page.

The recently deceased Bryce Courtenay (Australian author born in South Africa) was similar in that ability.

http://en.wikipedia....Bryce_Courtenay

PS. Bryce pirmarily wrote fiction

Edited by BookMan

Have recently finished the three books shown under.Each one a ripping good yarn in the Wilbur Smith style.

post-140056-0-95106000-1356145969_thumb.post-140056-0-83513800-1356146004_thumb.post-140056-0-74734900-1356146062_thumb.

I have heard Wilbur Smith give a talk and he can captivate an audience with a yarn. I can imagine he can also tell a good story on the page.

The recently deceased Bryce Courtenay (Australian author born in South Africa) was similar in that ability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Courtenay

Have only read one of Bryce Courtnay's books " Tommo and Hawk ". Wasn't my type of of book and to top it off,the last 100 pages were a repeat of an earlier section of the book and I missed out on the finish.

Have only read one of Bryce Courtnay's books " Tommo and Hawk ". Wasn't my type of of book and to top it off,the last 100 pages were a repeat of an earlier section of the book and I missed out on the finish.

The Power of One and Tandia were excellent reads. In many ways quite predictable, but in an enjoyable way. They were his early works.

The Power of One and Tandia were excellent reads. In many ways quite predictable, but in an enjoyable way. They were his early works.

Might chase those up to give him another try.

IMO, The Power of One was excellent and may be a modern classic. Tandia was worth reading if you read The Power of One - to continue the story - but it was too preachy for me. It is not of the same caliber as the first one.

IMO, The Power of One was excellent and may be a modern classic. Tandia was worth reading if you read The Power of One - to continue the story - but it was too preachy for me. It is not of the same caliber as the first one.

That is a fair appraisal of the books UG.

Of course once you have read the first one you have to read the second one!

I quite like Ian McEwan for a British author.

Atonement! love it!

I took the opportunity today to go to the Big Bad Wolf book sale - the biggest book sale in the world (this weekend, anyway)

post-60794-0-98310400-1356181796_thumb.j

I bought "The Imperial Cruise" by James Bradley, tale of an American diplomatic mission across the Pacific early in the last century (non-fiction), and

"The Windup girl", Paulo Bacigalupi, the adventures of a genetically engineered courtesan, I believe, set in Bangkok in the future. Its fiction, by the way,.

I've not read either, so can't vouch for them. The family also bought as much as I could carry; most of the books were RM8 (THB 80) each, which I thought was pretty good value

SC

I too have read a fair number of Wilbur Smith's books and enjoyed them. I did wonder if he might be getting a bit formulaic with his later stuff - but perhaps it's just me getting used to his style.

If you like books about Africa, there's one writer I read in the 1960's who I thought was very good, although I can't remember seeing any of his books on shelves in LOS. His name was Robert Rourk and I guess he probably wrote about a dozen books. I remember 'Uhuru', 'The Honey Badger', 'Something of Value' and 'Use Enough Gun'.

He died quite young, probably as a result of a profligate lifestyle. I seem to recall he was compared by some to Ernest Hemingway.

I too have read a fair number of Wilbur Smith's books and enjoyed them. I did wonder if he might be getting a bit formulaic with his later stuff - but perhaps it's just me getting used to his style.

If you like books about Africa, there's one writer I read in the 1960's who I thought was very good, although I can't remember seeing any of his books on shelves in LOS. His name was Robert Rourk and I guess he probably wrote about a dozen books. I remember 'Uhuru', 'The Honey Badger', 'Something of Value' and 'Use Enough Gun'.

He died quite young, probably as a result of a profligate lifestyle. I seem to recall he was compared by some to Ernest Hemingway.

** Robert Ruark?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ruark

I've had three more good reads since Don Winslow's 'Savages', which have been Tony Hillerman's 'The Dark Wind', Michael Connelly's 'A Darkness More Than Night', and best of all, James Lee Burke's 'In The Moon of Red Ponies', which is another in his Billy Bob Holland series.

Now I'm waiting for something new to read, and whilst waiting will take another shot at 'Another Roadside Attraction', by Tom Robbins. Found this at the bottom of my old dive bag and noted that it's probably been there, gathering funk, since 1975!