What Books Are People Reading Now ?

Ron19

Received my books from Amazon on tuesday (1421, 1434 and 1491).

Only took 19 days from date of purchase........they quoted me 4+ weeks.

Probably would've been quicker if I lived closer to a city instead of out in the sticks....still happy about quick delivery though.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received my books from Amazon on tuesday (1421, 1434 and 1491).

Only took 19 days from date of purchase........they quoted me 4+ weeks.

Probably would've been quicker if I lived closer to a city instead of out in the sticks....still happy about quick delivery though.

thumbsup.gif

Since re-reading the Don Winslow book, (which was well worth while), I've read David Gibbins book "The Tiger Warrior" which was good. It's a novel centred around marine archaeology and it reminds me that I never followed the dream of doing that stuff myself. Then there was Martin Cruz Smith's "Wolves Eat Dogs" where our hero, (Arkady Renko), finds himself in the very strange zone of exclusion location of Chernobyl. Chilling to realise that that place is going to remain toxic for thousands of years....

I've also read four George Pelacanos book, "Right As Rain", "Hell to Pay", The Big Blowdown", and "Hard Revolution" and am just starting another called "Drama City". I've read these pretty much consecutively which indicates what a good writer I think he is. The plots are pretty gritty and put me in mind of James Lee Burke's books. Lots of references to music that I've never even heard of and that means a further google journey to find out what I'm missing, though I suspect it's probably rap, which I don't really care for but, hell, I'll give anything a go, just to find out.

Not sure I'd want to keep any of these books on my own shelves for second readings but they've been fun to be with over the last stormy couple of weeks. Gotta do something other than watch the rain and drink beer.........

Right now, I am reading Scars of Sweet Paradise, The Life and Times of Janis Joplin. I am not a big fan of Joplin, although I did enjoy some of her songs. However, the book is a lot more about hippies and rock music in general during the 60s and much of it is set in San Francisco. I have read a number of this type of book in the past, but this one is particularly good with information that I can not remember seeing before. If you are interested in the music or history of that era, I recommend it.

Just started Koran Curious by C J Werleman.

I loved his first two, God Hates You. Hate Him Back and Jesus Lied. He Was Only Human.

Well researched and extremely humorous. I agree with these review sections

"God Hates You. Hate Him Back, makes the ultimate case for the claim that the God of the Bible is the most wicked character in the pages of history. With a wit as dry as a martini, and the cross-examination techniques of a seasoned lawyer, CJ Werleman lays out all sixty-six chapters of the Bible to present an irrefutable argument that indeed God hates us all!".

"Jesus Lied. He Was Only Human' is arguably the most comprehensive and exhaustive debunking of the Christian myth on bookshelves today. Like a forensic accountant, Werleman meticulously pulls apart the New Testament thread-by-thread until the greatest lie ever told is exposed for all to see".

Edited by uptheos

I loved his first two, God Hates You. Hate Him Back and Jesus Lied. He Was Only Human.

"God Hates You. Hate Him Back, makes the ultimate case for the claim that the God of the Bible is the most wicked character in the pages of history. With a wit as dry as a martini, and the cross-examination techniques of a seasoned lawyer, CJ Werleman lays out all sixty-six chapters of the Bible to present an irrefutable argument that indeed God hates us all!".

"Jesus Lied. He Was Only Human' is arguably the most comprehensive and exhaustive debunking of the Christian myth on bookshelves today. Like a forensic accountant, Werleman meticulously pulls apart the New Testament thread-by-thread until the greatest lie ever told is exposed for all to see".

Those sound really interesting. I shall have to remember the titles. Hopefully they will be available in Bangkok.

Juet finished 'The Sicilian' by Mario Puzo,a very good read and now have just started 'Private Dancer' by Stephan Leather.

Id be very interested in how you find private Dancer Ron. I have heard it is an excellent book. Over the years I have seen a dozen copies, but the last 6 months since i wanted to read it, none!

Very interesting book.I had trouble getting used to the writing style at first but after a while no problems.It is claimed to be fiction although I feel it could be based on the writers own experiences.It is based around thai women working as bar girls and how they work the system to lie and rip off farangs.It also mentions how many farangs fall in love with the women and get taken for a ride.Well worth the read.

It is claimed to be fiction although I feel it could be based on the writers own experiences.It is based around thai women working as bar girls and how they work the system to lie and rip off farangs.It also mentions how many farangs fall in love with the women and get taken for a ride.Well worth the read.

I am pretty sure that the first half of the book was based on an old newspaper story I read about someone that had the same experiences and the rest of the book was probably the writer's experiences as you have guessed. I enjoyed the book, but I recognized the story from reading it several years before. I have no problem with that as it is fiction and IMO well done.

It is claimed to be fiction although I feel it could be based on the writers own experiences.It is based around thai women working as bar girls and how they work the system to lie and rip off farangs.It also mentions how many farangs fall in love with the women and get taken for a ride.Well worth the read.

I am pretty sure that the first half of the book was based on an old newspaper story I read about someone that had the same experiences and the rest of the book was probably the writer's experiences as you have guessed. I enjoyed the book, but I recognized the story from reading it several years before. I have no problem with that as it is fiction and IMO well done.

Interesting what you say UG. There are not many original ideas left out there, but old ones can still be presented differently. I think I read somewhere that he lives up around Chiang Mai way?

Here is a quite reasonable interview with him from chickynet.

http://www.chickynet.com/thailand/blogs/1/110/expat-interview-stephen-leathe

and stickman interview

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/interview/interview1.html

Those sound really interesting. I shall have to remember the titles. Hopefully they will be available in Bangkok.

In Chiang Mai, I had to order them from Asia Books.

Just finished reading Stephen King's "Cell". A dismal ending, although apparently he claims he's been nudged into writing a screen play with a more satisfying conclusion. It would make great TV or cinema - think Walking Dead.

I was also a bit disappointed with how that ended.

On a side note: I picked up my copy of the Cell from my local paper recycling centre. A truck carrying 12 cages of new books (returns from department stores/book shops) was waiting to dump all its books onto the floor, where they are bulldozed onto the conveyer belt. The driver is instructed to watch and make sure all books are destroyed. That day about 100 books made it into the back of my van, including ten copies of the Cell. laugh.png .

In Chiang Mai, I had to order them from Asia Books.

Interesting indeed.

Interesting what you say UG. There are not many original ideas left out there, but old ones can still be presented differently. I think I read somewhere that he lives up around Chiang Mai way?

Here is a quite reasonable interview with him from chickynet.

http://www.chickynet...-stephen-leathe

and stickman interview

http://www.stickmanb...interview1.html

Very interesting and thanks for posting the links.

Last I knew he was living in Bangkok. He used to send me copies of his books that the publisher gave him a few years ago.

Just found a free kindle reading app on the Amazon site that allows you to download and read kindle books on your computer.

To try it out,I then purchased two more of Stephan Leathers books and you have them in your computer and be reading in the blink of an eye.

Just finished "Private Dancer" and the next one will be "A Sparrow Falls" from Wilbur Smith.

And your impression of private dancer?

You have to respect the fact that it is fiction but the author has done a lot of research so the book would be fairly close to the mark.I enjoyed it.

Mr. Leather (amongst others) recently admitted to creating aliases on various internet forums to boost his publicity. In his own words:

"I’ll go onto several forums, from the well-known forums, and post there, under my own name and under various other names and various other characters. You build this whole network of characters who talk about your books and sometimes have conversations with yourself. And then I’ve got enough fans…"

Extracted from article in Forbes Magazine, full article here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmananderson/2012/08/28/fake-reviews-amazons-rotten-core/

So, which one of you is SL?biggrin.png Or is it me? w00t.gif

Mr. Leather (amongst others) recently admitted to creating aliases on various internet forums to boost his publicity. In his own words:

"I’ll go onto several forums, from the well-known forums, and post there, under my own name and under various other names and various other characters. You build this whole network of characters who talk about your books and sometimes have conversations with yourself. And then I’ve got enough fans…"

Extracted from article in Forbes Magazine, full article here:

http://www.forbes.co...ns-rotten-core/

So, which one of you is SL?biggrin.png Or is it me? w00t.gif

A TV member having multiple accounts or not who they say they are???

Unheard of!!

I love to wind down with a bit of Jack Reacher kicking butt !!

I am now reading 'Why I believed' by Kenneth W Daniels. A former Christian missionary explaining how he is now undoubtedly a non believer. I am enjoying it. A softer approach than Richard Dawkins and good to have it from someones side who was in the thick of it.

I am reading "61 Hours to Zero" by Lee Child . It is quite funny so far with a few belly laughs and a shade of black comedy .

The character C.V well I didn't even have a thought .

I love all the jack reacher novels!

I've just finished "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea", ISBN 0-375-70337-3, by Gary Kinder. Maybe the best non-fiction book I've read this year. Basically, in 1857 the side wheel steamer Central America went down in a hurricane off the Carolina coast. More than 400 lives were lost, mostly passengers returning from the California gold fields.

She went down in 8,000 feet of water and was carrying - get this - 21 tons of gold. The book deals with the last few days of the ship and the frantic efforts of crew and passengers to save her, and then goes on to tell us about an engineer called Tommy Thompson who sets out to find the wreck and salvage its treasure. Most astonishing is the excitement of designing and building the equipment necessary to operate at 8,000 feet. Also amazing are his efforts to raise the money to carry out the salvage in various stages, whilst trying to deter other salvage operators from muscling in on the site.

I'm an engineer and have also been involved, in a small way, in wreck recovery and the retrieval of artifacts in The Philippines, but can only marvel at the effort and creative thinking that went into working at 8,000 feet. A thoroughly well recommended, entertaining and exciting read.

Again, it also raises the hoary old questions about the difference between treasure hunters and marine archaeologists - and I'm still not sure which camp I fall into.

I've just finished "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea", ISBN 0-375-70337-3, by Gary Kinder. Maybe the best non-fiction book I've read this year. Basically, in 1857 the side wheel steamer Central America went down in a hurricane off the Carolina coast. More than 400 lives were lost, mostly passengers returning from the California gold fields.

She went down in 8,000 feet of water and was carrying - get this - 21 tons of gold. The book deals with the last few days of the ship and the frantic efforts of crew and passengers to save her, and then goes on to tell us about an engineer called Tommy Thompson who sets out to find the wreck and salvage its treasure. Most astonishing is the excitement of designing and building the equipment necessary to operate at 8,000 feet. Also amazing are his efforts to raise the money to carry out the salvage in various stages, whilst trying to deter other salvage operators from muscling in on the site.

I'm an engineer and have also been involved, in a small way, in wreck recovery and the retrieval of artifacts in The Philippines, but can only marvel at the effort and creative thinking that went into working at 8,000 feet. A thoroughly well recommended, entertaining and exciting read.

Again, it also raises the hoary old questions about the difference between treasure hunters and marine archaeologists - and I'm still not sure which camp I fall into.

Looks like it's worth a read so I will order it.