Best Route And Stop Over Bkk To Chiang Mai

If you don't mind a bit extra distance, than I travel this route all the time and it should meet your requirements. I can not recommend any hotels, but know that both Tak and Kamphaeng have them. Once you get to Tak, you must ride over to Mae Sot and take the 105 north to the 108 where it branches right to Chiang Mai.

Total distance: 1013 (507 the first day and 506 the second) kilometers. It also includes a ferry ride!thumbsup.gif And as a side note, it's less than 90 km more than riding up the stinky potholed AH2 on the first day...

You have 3 possibilities straight up, go east, or go west as another poster mentioned. From Tak along the 105 up to the 108 is a good route it runs along the Burma border. A friend likes to go to Koen Keng and then ride from there to CM. Phitsunaluk is a good stop or Sukothai

I too follow Dave-boo's route he mapped, and the last 2 times last year follow Captain Slash's route to Kamphaeng and Tak. In either of those towns just look for the big road side signs stating 299, 399. I Tak we stay at a hotel we found this way that is one of the nicest 300 baht hotels I've found in Thailand. If you don't run over to Mae Sot, the 105 north is one of my favs, be sure to turn left on the 106 just north of Thoen. This puts you back into the curves, and gets away from the 1 which will get crazier as you get closer to Chiang Mai.

1339046643-30392.html

I too follow Dave-boo's route he mapped, and the last 2 times last year follow Captain Slash's route to Kamphaeng and Tak. In either of those towns just look for the big road side signs stating 299, 399. I Tak we stay at a hotel we found this way that is one of the nicest 300 baht hotels I've found in Thailand. If you don't run over to Mae Sot, the 105 north is one of my favs, be sure to turn left on the 106 just north of Thoen. This puts you back into the curves, and gets away from the 1 which will get crazier as you get closer to Chiang Mai.

If you decide too take the direct ride from tak then the 106 is an option from Theon> It is a two lane highway with some straight road and then some curves thru the hills. The 106 will take you thru lamphun and on to Seriphi then enter CM on the southeast side of town.