Retirement Visa

I will be moving to Thailand in about 1 year and hope to qualify for a retirement visa. I am British and will be 60 next year. My query is about the 800K you are required to have on deposit and the monthly income. Do these sums have to go through a Thai bank or will the Thai authorities accept a letter/statement from the HSBC (Bank) in Bangkok which is more convenient in my case as my bank in London is part of the HSBC group.

Thanks for that info but how does the embassy in Bangkok confirm your income? Do they base this on what is paid into the UK based account from your ex company or do they ask for some sort of statement from the bank in Bankok confirming transfers?

That is it Fred. The full amount in the bank solves the problem. Remember the $$$ requirements increase in July 2004

Ok so now it's confirmed. Can you tell us where this is info is sited and the new amounts involved.

For the retirement visa do you need to show the amount in your bank account when first applying for the 3 months non-immm. O prior to the Retirement process?

cm boy

cm boy .... I think technically you don't have to show anything regarding your bank balance when you apply for the 3 month Non Immigrant "O" visa. However the reputation (sometimes not helpful) of the Thai Consulant is Laos is such that I brought with me my last bank statement (not certified .. just the statement I received via post). When I applied for my 3-month non-Imm "o" and when the nice lady behind the counter at the consulate asked for my "documentation", I showed her my bank statement and she was happy.

Also when I applied for my retirement visa at Suan Plu ... I had BOTH the certified letter from my bank (in Bangkok) stating my bank balance (over 800k) AND the letter from the Embassy certifying my monthly income. However in my case, the Embassy (US Embassy) asked for no evidence or documentation regarding my income. They just made me swear that my stated income level (on their form) was correct. So besides the consular fee ... it was relatively painless to get the certification from the Embassy.

According to the rules I didn't need BOTH the Bank and Embassy letters ... but I think having more than enough documentation was a positive influence on the nice ladies at Suan Plu and helped me get the retirement visa without waiting for the 3-month Non-Immigrant "O" to expire.

That is it Fred. The full amount in the bank solves the problem. Remember the $$$ requirements increase in July 2004

As far as I was aware, the requirements for a Retirement Visa will remain at 800k in a bank, 65k per month income or a combination of both.

Are you saying they are going to increase the above? If so, what are the new levels?

As far as I was aware, the requirements for a Retirement Visa will remain at 800k in a bank, 65k per month income or a combination of both.

Are you saying they are going to increase the above? If so, what are the new levels?

Rumoured to be 1.5 million. The amounts will be announced shortly. If you are already on extension/s we believe that you will be grandfathered.