Phuket Mother Questions Mental Health Care After Screwdriver Attack On 7-Year-Old Son

webfact

Phuket mother questions mental health care after screwdriver attack on 7-year-old son

Phuket Gazette

stabb.jpeg

Best is still having trouble coming to terms with the random stabbing by a mentally disturbed man he suffered while playing in Phuket Town. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- The 7-year-old victim of a screwdriver attack by a mentally ill man in Phuket Town has recovered from his physical injuries, but his mother fears that the psychological trauma caused may take much longer to heal.

Krittamet “Best” Kingsaiyut’s mother, Chareerat Naksri, was told by doctors that the stab wound to her son’s head was only two centimeters deep. The x-ray examination revealed that the screwdriver used to inflict the injury hit underlying bone, thus preventing the tool from penetrating any deeper.

“Even though the wound is getting better, his mind is not. He is frightened of strangers, especially men. When we go out his father or I must be with him, as he won’t walk alone. He was not like this before,” said Ms Chareerat.

“Now if he sees too many strangers he wants to go back home,” she added.

Best’s parents are trying to give him as much support and comfort as possible, but they are concerned that his mental state does not appear to be improving.

They are considering taking him back to see the doctor if there are no signs of his condition improving.

Ms Chareerat said that while she was at the hospital the mother and brother of Best’s attacker visited. She was told that they would be taking the attacker to the Mental Health Department at Srithanya Hospital.

“I do not think what happened to my son should have occurred. Anyone who has a family member with a mental condition should take proper care of them. People like this are not supposed to be walking around in public – not when they might attack someone randomly.”

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16128.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-07

very sad to hear things like this happening to one so young and innocent to what really goes on in the world. I hope that he is able to come to terms with it in the near future and to be able to forget the whole experience. Thing is, what will happen to the guy who did it? typically nothing as TIT and they certainly have strange idea's about how to deal with things like this.

Falcon

• 1 month later...

nobody knows how alert i am when going to the local market and for sure and for hold another mental disturbed person has broken in to the toilet and makes it its residence, i have seen them all (i hope) screwdrivers wielding, armed with sticks with nails, "fighting unknown phantoms after a while police pick um up where psychiatric help is needed police has to act without a real mandate.

Vigilant and on my guard........i have known better days in Thailand.......seems more and more patients running wild these days without ANY safety net and legal powers to intervene until, as in this nightmare case,ts too late.

a parents nightmare