No To America's Use Of U-Tapao: Thai Opinion

webfact

It took a couple of years to build U-Tapao; the 11,000 foot runway was opened in 1966. It was a front line US Air Force facility from 1966 to 1975. 80% of all air strikes against North Vietnam originated in Thailand. The US deployed 30 to 50,000 combat troops in Thailand and they were withdrawn in 1976 at the request of the Thai government. The whole Thai operation was hush hush because of a lot of Laos and Cambodian stuff among other reasons.

The chapel is still there. It is next to a Tesco Lotus now.

[media=]

[/media]

If you want to see what the place looked like in 1969.

Thank you for that.

:wai:

Terrific CCR soundtrack :thumbsup: and truly captures the scenes of the same year I first arrived in SE Asia, albeit not in U-Tapao, Thailand.

• Like 1

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the writer of this piece is being a little naive here...just say no

If the US wants to use UTP for what ever reason, they will get it, if it serves the US's interests...resistance is futile...as they will just do the same as they have done in other places...

"just say no".........."just say invade"..............."mission accomplished"...............thumbsup.gif

LOL Get real

Which "smilely" would you like for me to insert into the post to indicate I was being ironic/sarcastic ?...I do understand you do need some visual cue indicate I was being humourous..whistling.gif (yes I am being sarcastic)

The only reason GI want to set up in Pattaya (U-ta-pao) is for cheap sex.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The only reason there is cheap sex in Pattaya is because of the GI.

Aussie "GI's" far as I understand....

Then you obviously don't understand.

For centuries, Pattaya was a small fishing village. But a change began on 26 April 1961, when the first group of about 100 American servicemen who were fighting in the Vietnam War arrived in Pattaya for relaxation

Edited by Jayman

China is Thailand's direct competitor for exports and has already badly damaged Thailand rice industry with the manipulation of their currency. The United States on the other hand has been Thailand's #1 ally in terms of trade and foreign policy for more than a century. Cowtowing to China who look to exploit Thailand more than anything else is plain foolish. Thailand's relations with the US is FAR more important than appeasing the Chinese.

Manipulation of their currency??? Come on, you don't believe that or?

Are you actually suggesting they don't?

"The yuan's undervaluation has become so considerable that economists now blame it for stifling the economic recovery and pushing us into a liquidity trap."

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/01/24/why-china-manipulates-the-yuan/

http://www.calgarybusinessblog.com/articles/how-china-manipulates-its-c.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/10/06/obama-says-china-manipulates-its-currency/

http://www.dailymarkets.com/economy/2011/11/01/china-manipulates-its-currency-to-the-advantage-of-u-s-consumers-and-businesses-buying-its-products/

http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x94880518/Economist-China-manipulates-its-currency

http://www.mindfulmoney.co.uk/?lid=12052

For centuries, Pattaya was a small fishing village. But a change began on 26 April 1961, when the first group of about 100 American servicemen who were fighting in the Vietnam War arrived in Pattaya for relaxation

May I humbly suggest looking on the Pattaya forum a few years ago there was an excellent thread on establishment of Pattaya during the Vietnam war and if memory serves based on actual accounts, it appeared what you are talking about is somewhat a bit of a myth and it seems the Aussie's where more instrumental in establishing Pattaya as a location to drink beer and get your leg over than US GI's who were for the most part confined to an area around Sattahip and not Pattaya per se..

You're welcome. wai.gif

I wonder if the price for this loss of sovereignty by Thailand is the granting of a USA visa to Thaksin?

Defense Minister: US’s use of U-Tapao Airport not exchanged for Thaksin’s visa

BANGKOK, 6 June 2012 (NNT) - Defense Minister Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol Suwanatat has denied rumors that the Thai government allows the US military to use U-Tapao Airport in exchange for ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s US visa.

Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol revealed that the government has allowed the US to use U-Tapao Airport in the eastern region as part of their military cooperation and the matter has nothing to do with Mr Thaksin’s visa. He claimed that the former Prime Minister can enter the US any time he wants.

The Minister said the US will use the airport as a center for disaster relief and humanitarian operations, rather than using it as a military base. He added that Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn has talked to Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin E. Dempsey about holding a joint military exercise, Cobra Gold, at the airport to test its efficiency.

Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol explained that U-Tapao Airport is a national airport and is accessible to any visitors; therefore, it is not a suitable place to establish a military base. He also assured that the issue will not irritate China as there will be no weapons at the site.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-06 footer_n.gif

Now I understand why Utapoa wasnt utilised as international airport for tourists, agendas comes to mind

China is Thailand's direct competitor for exports and has already badly damaged Thailand rice industry with the manipulation of their currency. The United States on the other hand has been Thailand's #1 ally in terms of trade and foreign policy for more than a century. Cowtowing to China who look to exploit Thailand more than anything else is plain foolish. Thailand's relations with the US is FAR more important than appeasing the Chinese.

Manipulation of their currency??? Come on, you don't believe that or?

Are you actually suggesting they don't?

"The yuan's undervaluation has become so considerable that economists now blame it for stifling the economic recovery and pushing us into a liquidity trap."

http://www.dailyfina...lates-the-yuan/

http://www.calgarybu...ates-its-c.html

http://blogs.wsj.com...s-its-currency/

http://www.dailymark...g-its-products/

http://dailyitem.com...es-its-currency

http://www.mindfulmo...o.uk/?lid=12052

yes they undervalue it (I didn't write that clear) but the effect is not big.

And by the way they are doing it by buying USD. If you want to see it from the other side: The USA is overvalue the USD so they can buy cheap in China....

You only need to count: How many countries did the US attack in the last 20-50 years, how many did China attack.

China is little different in terms of having an aggressive foreign policy when it sees fit to do so.

It sent almost a million troops into N. Korea in late 1950, of course having been asked (begged) by the Great Leader.

Earlier that year 40,000 troops of the PLA invaded and crushed the Tibetans (not sure if they found someone to ask them in that time).

In October1962, taking advantage of the world's attention on the Cuban Missile Crisis, 80,000 PLA troops invaded 2 areas of India in the Aksai Chin and South Tibet, and they were certainly not invited by anyone that time.

China continues to claim ownership of the Indian province of Arunachal Pradesh and there were further border clashes in 1967 and 1987. In continuation of this and due to the fact that India gave sanctuary to the Dalai Lama, the "non-interventionist" PRC has been supporting the Maoist Naxalite insurgent movement in NE India for the last 50 years.

More recently and closer to home the PLA had another "school trip" into Vietnam in Feb 1979 with 200,000 troops and the subsequent fighting killed approximately 50,0000 on both sides (ie almost equal to total US deaths in Vietnam), in a month of hard fighting.

The unasked for aggression with Vietnam continued with more border skirmishes and culminating in a full blown naval battle off the Spratly islands in 1988 sinking 2 Vietnamese naval craft, killing 60 and capturing a further 40 (including a CIA agent). The PLA subsequently occupied (and still do) a chunk of the islands, and for good measure seized a Philippine island in the same chain (this time without any fighting as the Philippine military backed off).

From Mar-Nov 1969 the Communist brothers, China & the Soviet Union, fought a series of skirmishes with some 700 deaths on both sides over ownership of a river island.

Whoops almost forgot; the Chinese navy won their first battle in 300 years when they swatted the fading S.Vietnamese navy in Feb 1974, and occupied the Paracel islands (an illegal occupation which continues to this day).

So life isn't so simple and China is hardly a saint when it comes to flexing its military muscles. Its aggressive military build-up in recent years and its extraordinary claims to most of the South China Sea has helped make the US very popular in many capital cities of countries fearing a confrontation with a resurgent China.

• Like 1

SouthPeet is correct. R&R started in 1965. It was in Bangkok not Pattaya. The Aussies got to Pattaya first. Pattaya was never much of an R&R destination. Too little time to stray far from Bangkok. Troops stationed at U-Tapao went across the street where the action was at Kilo Sip (later New Town). Or stayed on base where beer was almost free. Get your facts straight. American GI's didn't have much to do with Pattaya. A few straggled in but it was never a big deal. Pattaya became big later with Euro tourists and Brits and everybody else.

Remember who funded and built Utapao? The US. American military forces won't be stopped. I wonder how much they have donated this time to set up camp again. In any event, we all know that everyone has their price, and here, more than anywhere. Obviously China hasn't opened up their wallet as much as the US. Big Money goes around the world.

I wonder if the price for this loss of sovereignty by Thailand is the granting of a USA visa to Thaksin?

Defense Minister: US's use of U-Tapao Airport not exchanged for Thaksin's visa

BANGKOK, 6 June 2012 (NNT) - Defense Minister Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol Suwanatat has denied rumors that the Thai government allows the US military to use U-Tapao Airport in exchange for ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's US visa.

Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol revealed that the government has allowed the US to use U-Tapao Airport in the eastern region as part of their military cooperation and the matter has nothing to do with Mr Thaksin's visa. He claimed that the former Prime Minister can enter the US any time he wants.

The Minister said the US will use the airport as a center for disaster relief and humanitarian operations, rather than using it as a military base. He added that Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn has talked to Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin E. Dempsey about holding a joint military exercise, Cobra Gold, at the airport to test its efficiency.

Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol explained that U-Tapao Airport is a national airport and is accessible to any visitors; therefore, it is not a suitable place to establish a military base. He also assured that the issue will not irritate China as there will be no weapons at the site.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-06 footer_n.gif

Now I understand why Utapoa wasnt utilised as international airport for tourists, agendas comes to mind

U-Tapao airport is like anything else. Someone (entity, not a single person or family) owns it and someone leases out the facilities and makes up the rates for airplanes to land and take off. Find out who that is and you find out everything you need to know about U-Tapao. I'll give you a hint. It is not Yingluck or the Army.

Edited by kerryk

You only need to count: How many countries did the US attack in the last 20-50 years, how many did China attack.

China is little different in terms of having an aggressive foreign policy when it sees fit to do so.

It sent almost a million troops into N. Korea in late 1950, of course having been asked (begged) by the Great Leader.

Earlier that year 40,000 troops of the PLA invaded and crushed the Tibetans (not sure if they found someone to ask them in that time).

In October1962, taking advantage of the world's attention on the Cuban Missile Crisis, 80,000 PLA troops invaded 2 areas of India in the Aksai Chin and South Tibet, and they were certainly not invited by anyone that time.

China continues to claim ownership of the Indian province of Arunachal Pradesh and there were further border clashes in 1967 and 1987. In continuation of this and due to the fact that India gave sanctuary to the Dalai Lama, the "non-interventionist" PRC has been supporting the Maoist Naxalite insurgent movement in NE India for the last 50 years.

More recently and closer to home the PLA had another "school trip" into Vietnam in Feb 1979 with 200,000 troops and the subsequent fighting killed approximately 50,0000 on both sides (ie almost equal to total US deaths in Vietnam), in a month of hard fighting.

The unasked for aggression with Vietnam continued with more border skirmishes and culminating in a full blown naval battle off the Spratly islands in 1988 sinking 2 Vietnamese naval craft, killing 60 and capturing a further 40 (including a CIA agent). The PLA subsequently occupied (and still do) a chunk of the islands, and for good measure seized a Philippine island in the same chain (this time without any fighting as the Philippine military backed off).

From Mar-Nov 1969 the Communist brothers, China & the Soviet Union, fought a series of skirmishes with some 700 deaths on both sides over ownership of a river island.

Whoops almost forgot; the Chinese navy won their first battle in 300 years when they swatted the fading S.Vietnamese navy in Feb 1974, and occupied the Paracel islands (an illegal occupation which continues to this day).

So life isn't so simple and China is hardly a saint when it comes to flexing its military muscles. Its aggressive military build-up in recent years and its extraordinary claims to most of the South China Sea has helped make the US very popular in many capital cities of countries fearing a confrontation with a resurgent China.

Yes exactly. Basically nothing in compare with USA. If you list the last 50 years of USA you fill the Thaivisa server.

The author of this article left out a lot of key details in his anti-American rant. For 1 NASA is a civilian agency and part of its task is to study world wide weather. Secondly the UAV's (drones) he was referring to are mostly controlled via satellite from an air force base in Nevada. There is no advantage to moving that capability here. Third, the US Department of Defense does tons of humanitarian work world wide especially disaster relief. If my memory serves, most of that disaster relief in the last 20 years or so has been in Southeast Asia so it would only make sense to ask Thailand (the US's oldest ally in the region) about setting up some space in a little used corner of the country.

How naive can you be.....it is all about US control of the region, nothing to do with humanitarian relief that is just the cover....

Edited by metisdead
: Off topic remarks removed.

Forming any sort of alliance with the US is an invitation to radical extremism in Thailand. It is in Thailand's interest to remain as neutral as possible when it comes to the US. Allowing the base would be, to some, a sign that Thailand supports US foreign policy. Nothing good could come from this... other than a handful of people making a pile of money... the cost to the Kingdom could be very high.

As an American expat, I am all for Thailand saying no. I see no reason to trust 'us'.

• Like 1

"No" is rarely used in business here, which is why everything exists here. The 'writer' is pro-China, but Thais are much smarter than just favoring one side over another, they favor all sides at some point, sometimes simultaneously. China isn't the saviour of its neighbors, just ask the Burmese and the Lao how much more Chinese influence they can handle, the answer is that they would prefer less.

Edited by PhilipCook

The PRC is bullying everyone in the region. The Vietnamese have a much longer history with the Chinese than with the Americans.

From what I have read, the Vietnamese HATE the Chinese.

cheesy.gif .....yes and the Vietnamese are partial to the US as I understand it ?....lets not talk about bully boy tactics shall we....what was the quote "your either with us or against us".....in reference to one the US's oldest allies....the French...

the Vietnamese are not currently partnering with the US?

Which US business school did you go to ?....."partnering"...cheesy.gif .....the US has never "partnered" with anyone.....while they are winning something..its the US this, the US that...minute they start loosing its "coalition forces" and our allies...

Ok so you've made it clear you can't refute what Evil Dr said, that your agenda on here is being anti-American, and when confronted in a discussion on something you can't intelligently respond to, you then argue semantics to try to save face.

SouthPeet is correct. R&R started in 1965. It was in Bangkok not Pattaya. The Aussies got to Pattaya first. Pattaya was never much of an R&R destination. Too little time to stray far from Bangkok. Troops stationed at U-Tapao went across the street where the action was at Kilo Sip (later New Town). Or stayed on base where beer was almost free. Get your facts straight. American GI's didn't have much to do with Pattaya. A few straggled in but it was never a big deal. Pattaya became big later with Euro tourists and Brits and everybody else.

"Jayman" obviously you dont understand....please dont believe everything you quote from Wikipedia..

apology accepted... I am sorry I shattered the myth ....whistling.gif

If the US wants to use UTP for what ever reason, they will get it, if it serves the US's interests...resistance is futile...as they will just do the same as they have done in other places...

"just say no".........."just say invade"..............."mission accomplished"...............

The US is going to invade Thailand. Yeah, sure. rolleyes.gif

Don't worry they wil not invade LOS, LOS has no oil!

Edited by stingray

Ok so you've made it clear you can't refute what Evil Dr said, that your agenda on here is being anti-American, and when confronted in a discussion on something you can't intelligently respond to, you then argue semantics to try to save face.

I am not Anti-American at all....some of my best friends are from the US and are good people...

I just call BS when I read BS thats all, the American friends I have are not narrow minded simplist folk who are of the belief all things American = Good and righteous and everyone/everywhere else = bad.

Its very intesting to note that some of our colonial cousins have no problems making comments about the British Empire raping and pillaging, but if simliar type comments are made about the Land "O" Free, persons making these comments are branded Anti-American and their immediate "execution" is called for...

This is very stange to me, as I was always under the impression the one of the founding "princples" of the US is freedom of speech, This appears to be the case as long as someone else or another country is being criticised, but if "Freedom of speech" is used against the US then all of sudden certain people dont like Freedom of speech anymore and want the comments suppressed...where I come from this is know as hypocrisy

I have absolutely not problem people slagging off the British Empire, British people etc, but if you want to hand it out..you better be prepared to take some back and dont start hiding behind calling people Anti-American, just because you cant debate factual points with any degree of intelligence

As regards any agenda...I have no agenda at all, someone comments, I respond to said comment...I am sorry I cant fuel you paranoid delusions, that someone who disagree's with your perfect vision of the US has to be Anti-American.

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

At the end of the day China will swallow the entire SEA region if the USA is not here to stop them. The war of water will come soon and China will win.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Oh bugger, does this mean we better brush up on Mandarin? ermm.gif

and learn how to use chop sticks properly..

I'm going to change my last name to Lee and stop trimming those hair growing out of my mole. :rolleyes:

Edited by Payboy
  • Like 1

"Jayman" obviously you dont understand....please dont believe everything you quote from Wikipedia..

Maybe you should tell Thaiways that as well

http://www.thaiwaysm...ya_history.html

In fact.. show me anything to back up your facts that aussies are what turned pattaya from a fishing village to a R&R spot.

Just because you say the aussies started up the r&r in Pattaya doesn't make it so. I will give you no such apology. If you think that that aussie soldiers are what this town was built up around, fine, believe what you want. I am well aware that this is still a town frequented by many active duty US mil and my first trip to Thailand was as one of them. How many ships port with thousands of aussies?

And to dispel the crap about the us mil staying in utapao... I came to Utapao on a mh-53 and just after landing we all got in mini vans and took the dirt road (about 45 mins back then) to pattaya as we were all put up in pattaya accommodations. We never even once stepped foot off the Utapao airbase other than being driven to Pattaya.

Edited by Jayman

Just because you say the aussies started up the r&r in Pattaya doesn't make it so. I will give you no such apology. If you think that that aussie soldiers are what this town was built up around, fine, believe what you want. I am well aware that this is still a town frequented by many active duty US mil and my first trip to Thailand was as one of them. How many ships port with thousands of aussies?

I didnt say so...one of your countrymen did...and it is note worthy that myself and "KerryK" very rarely agree on anything and usually ends up him branding me Anti-American, further on KerryK appears to be pretty sure of his facts, which suggests he may have actually been there...so rather having a go at me...my I humbly suggest you debate this issue with him, but based on what I have read it was the Aussies who were fundemantal in the establishment of Pattaya..thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

I didnt say so...one of your countrymen did...and it is note worthy that myself and "KerryK" very rarely agree on anything and usually ends up him branding me Anti-American, further on KerryK appears to be pretty sure of his facts, which suggests he may have actually been there...so rather having a go at me...my I humbly suggest you debate this issue with him, but based on what I have read it was the Aussies who were fundemantal in the establishment of Pattaya..thumbsup.gif

I don't care where someone that agrees with you is from. You made the claim.. now back it up with showing us all where you read such things. Just because another member steps up and says "he's right" doesn't make your statement anymore correct.

It's become obvious that you just spout crap without backing it up with anything....

http://www.1stoppattaya.com/about_pattaya/history

everyones got it wrong but you eh?

Edited by Jayman

"just say no".........."just say invade"..............."mission accomplished"...............

The US is going to invade Thailand. Yeah, sure. rolleyes.gif

Don't worry they wil not invade LOS, LOS has no oil!

Ah but what are the US stockpiles of Somtam like ??...run low and anything could happen...biggrin.png

I don't care where someone that agrees with you is from. You made the claim.. now back it up with showing us all where you read such things. Just because another member steps up and says "he's right" doesn't make your statement anymore correct.

It's become obvious that you just spout crap without backing it up with anything....

Go an look in the Pattaya Forum...as stated in my first post, there was an excellent thread on this exact topic sometime back...So off you go..Pattaya forum...go on you know you want to..and prove I am talking cr*p....thumbsup.gif

As regards "he's right" I didnt say he was right...I it was he who was concurring with the statement I made and went further to supply dates and locations, which was information I didnt know and didnt profess to know.

Go an look in the Pattaya Forum...as stated in my first post, there was an excellent thread on this exact topic sometime back...So off you go..Pattaya forum...go on you know you want to..and prove I am talking cr*p....thumbsup.gif

As regards "he's right" I didnt say he was right...I it was he who was concurring with the statement I made and went further to supply dates and locations, which was information I didnt know and didnt profess to know.

Ohhh so you profess that your knowledge came from Thai Visa forums... I see.. well that explains everything... And this is from the guy that just told me not to believe what I read on wikipedia.

Since you have a hard time reading what I have wrote and understanding it, I will stop here in this argument. It is quite obvious to me that you are spouting crap and have little to nothing to back it up with and your further posts on this have done nothing to change that,

Edited by Jayman

Yes exactly. Basically nothing in compare with USA. If you list the last 50 years of USA you fill the Thaivisa server.

Don't think TV's server is that small.

Depending on your definition of "attacked", and being quite ruthless, I score the USA at 18 in the last 60 years. And the winners are....

Guatemala, Cuba, DR, Grenada, N.Korea, Lebanon, N.Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Iran, Libya, Yemen, Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Nicaragua.

China scores: Tibet, Taiwan, India, S. Korea, S. Vietnam, Vietnam, Philippines, USSR.

Please let me know if I have missed any poor unfortunates.

Undoubtedly China scores less than the USA but it is still impressive especially given China's supposedly non-interventionist approach to foreign policy (unless its really important of course)....

Bottom line neither are very nice when it comes to foreign adventures to further strategic interests, and with the rate of arms spending currently underway in PRC it's not for adventure tourism!

Have a read of this excellent, well-balanced article which highlights without overblowing China's military rise:

http://www.economist.com/node/21552193