Four Drown In Failed Suicide Rescue Attempt At Beach In Sattahip

Rimmer

Four friends drown following failed suicide attempt at beach in Sattahip

SATTAHIP:--Four friends drowned off the coast of Sattahip on Friday morning in a tragic case which began with the attempted suicide of a 19 year old man who was jealous of his girlfriends Facebook activities, especially those which involved other men.

Ironically he survived but four of his friends who jumped into the water to save him, drowned. Khun Jalaepat, who was heavily intoxicated, was in a state of complete shock but did explain how he jumped into the water with the intention of drowning. Two other friends, who were able to rescue Khun Jalaepat, confirmed the story and watched as rescue workers found the four bodies and took them to shore.

Full story:http://www.pattayaon...beach-sattahip/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-06-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

OMG. What a shocking, touching story. I applaud the bravery and loyalty of the friends who attempted the rescue attempt. Their families should be proud they died for such a noble ideal. I guess this is a case where suicide is NOT a victimless crime.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Wow.. what a sad result to an idiotic act. Personally, I would like to see the 19 year old brought up on involuntary manslaughter charges.

Uh? That's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Wow.. what a sad result to an idiotic act. Personally, I would like to see the 19 year old brought up on involuntary manslaughter charges.

Uh? That's ridiculous.

Is it? His stupidity caused the deaths of 4 of his friends...

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence
Edited by Jayman

OMG. What a shocking, touching story. I applaud the bravery and loyalty of the friends who attempted the rescue attempt. Their families should be proud they died for such a noble ideal. I guess this is a case where suicide is NOT a victimless crime.

I am not sure the situation warrants such a heroism tag.

The first principle of rescue is that you ensure your own safety FIRST.

Four lives were lost unnecessarily due to stupidity.

• Like 2

Uh? That's ridiculous.

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence

The guy was trying to kill himself, not trying some extreme dumb stunt. His friends jumped in to save him. Either they were not strong swimmers or didn't know how to swim but either way they made the choice to help their friend. He survived, what are the odds? He wasn't planning on living. Now on top of his already depressing life he now has his 4 friends to think about. He will probably try and kill himself again who knows. Charging him with some dumb ass manslaughter charge where he ends up being incarcerated, punishing him for his depression will, what? teach him to think twice before he tries to kill himself?

• Like 2

Yes a sad story and surely not one to be bickering about regards manslaughter or not? These friends did what many friends would do .... try to save their friend who was mentally distraught enough to want to kill himself.

The survivor will have to live with himself for a long time with what has transpired due to his own selfish act.

• Like 1

Yes a sad story and surely not one to be bickering about regards manslaughter or not? These friends did what many friends would do .... try to save their friend who was mentally distraught enough to want to kill himself.

The survivor will have to live with himself for a long time with what has transpired due to his own selfish act.

He was drunk,,,, let's not get all melodramatic..

My mom used to tell me.. just cause your friends jump off a bridge doesn't mean you should...

Edited by Jayman

I agree that it is a sad story and a waste of 4 young lives. However, one act of stupidity should not be followed by another. As commendable as the intentions were, no thought was given to their own safety. That remains stupid - particularly if drunk - irrespective of the outcome.

A long past neighbour drowned some years ago, trying to save a child caught in a Cornish riptide. That was a tragedy. But for four people to drown attempting to rescue an attempted suicide, who then, ironically, survives - that is not merely a tragedy but a monument to selfish folly.

But I suppose it is he who will have to live with the consequences of his moment of madness.

I still think it was heroic. Maybe it was also stupid. They aren't mutually exclusive.

As far as the suicide guy, he needs help in a big way. Yes he has moral guilt in this, but legal guilt I seriously doubt it. In the west, he would be locked up in a psych ward now under intense observation. I wonder how he will be dealt with here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I still think it was heroic. Maybe it was also stupid. They aren't mutually exclusive.

As far as the suicide guy, he needs help in a big way. Yes he has moral guilt in this, but legal guilt I seriously doubt it. In the west, he would be locked up in a psych ward now under intense observation. I wonder how he will be dealt with here.

On this occasion JT I have to disagree with you.

For me, an act of heroism is a well thought out action designed to save those in peril, whilst still ensuring your own safety. I suspect that this was a somewhat (drunken) Thai knee-jerk reaction without any thought whatsoever. Sacrificing (or even risking sacrifice) yourself for another is not heroic.

Even so, very sad, RIP the 4 boys.

For me, an act of heroism is a well thought out action designed to save those in peril, whilst still ensuring your own safety. I suspect that this was a somewhat (drunken) Thai knee-jerk reaction without any thought whatsoever. Sacrificing (or even risking sacrifice) yourself for another is not heroic.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

So were the firemen who ran into the crumbling World Trade Towers not heroic? Don't say they were sure they would survive.

Edited by Jingthing

We'll have to agree to disagree.

So were the firemen who ran into the crumbling World Trade Towers not heroic? Don't say they were sure they would survive.

No, I can't say that - but they were professionals; and firefighters are probably the best people in the world at evaluating risk. They were also sober !

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 1

Uh? That's ridiculous.

I think suicide is cowardice in most cases but the guy obviously was suffering some personal hell and will be suffering even more now so yeah that would be idiotic to charge him. Proper medical care would be the best thing.

• Like 1

so someone that just reacts and puts themselves in harms way is not a hero??????? Um in most situations where heroes arise there is not time to think but only to act. Are you saying the soldier that jumps on the grenade is not a hero, or the man who jumps in front of a car to push a kid out of the way????

• Like 1

I think suicide is cowardice in most cases but the guy obviously was suffering some personal hell and will be suffering even more now so yeah that would be idiotic to charge him. Proper medical care would be the best thing.

Guys that jump off a balcony or in front of a moving train are obviously suffering some personal hell. Some guy that is out getting pissed with his mates that decides that he can't take the idea of his girlfriend posting on facebook about other guys so he jumps into the ocean to me is not suffering from clinical depression but rather in the need of attention. That you guys are calling this "attempted suicide" is based off of what facts? It was a stupid drunkin stunt that ended with the death of 4 of his friends. He needs jail time and not some "grief therapy" over his girlfriend playing around with other guys.

• Like 1

so someone that just reacts and puts themselves in harms way is not a hero??????? Um in most situations where heroes arise there is not time to think but only to act. Are you saying the soldier that jumps on the grenade is not a hero, or the man who jumps in front of a car to push a kid out of the way????

A soldier is also a professional. These were not.

Oh Please! an act of heroism is an immediate and necessary action done without thought to one's own safety. Planned, not planned, sober or drunk it makes no difference!

19 year old man who was jealous of his girlfriends Facebook activities, especially those which involved other men.

Jealousy is a wasted emotion, if nobody else wanted her, neither would you.

You are way out. Most of the awards for bravery, even in a battle situation ARE spur of the moment actions by an individual. You don't have time to sit around think, "should I, shouldn't I" or consider the consequences of your actions. These brave people take the actions they are compelled to do and only after the event, consider the consequences.

Even if "Suicide Boy" was seeking attention, you can bet he did it on the spur of the moment as well, without taking in to account his four brave friends whose only consideration at the time was to save their Buddy.

Who is in a position to judge what state of mind "Suicide Boy" was at the time? People react differently to differing stimuli and some are more prone to taking their own life when they can see no happy future for themselves. As has been said, he will no doubt be beside himself with grief and deeply, deeply depressed in knowing his actions were the cause of his friends deaths.

Take criminal action against him? Sure, do give him a good kicking whilst he is down. I hope those who think this way never suffer great grief and bottomless depression.

The guy was trying to kill himself, not trying some extreme dumb stunt. His friends jumped in to save him. Either they were not strong swimmers or didn't know how to swim but either way they made the choice to help their friend. He survived, what are the odds? He wasn't planning on living. Now on top of his already depressing life he now has his 4 friends to think about. He will probably try and kill himself again who knows. Charging him with some dumb ass manslaughter charge where he ends up being incarcerated, punishing him for his depression will, what? teach him to think twice before he tries to kill himself?

I don't share your sympathies for this idiot. He was "upset" about his gf on fb. I will not call this mental illness but rather a guy trying to get some attention. It was stupid. If he truly had intentions to kill himself he would not have done so with all his mates around. This was an attention stunt that caused the death of 4 of his friends.

i agree ....remember the case ten years or so ago the mongrel who drove his car on to the tracks to kill himself ...saw the train coming ...decided against it and got out of the car ....the train hit and i think about 40 were killed ...i dont know how it finished up

You are way out. Most of the awards for bravery, even in a battle situation ARE spur of the moment actions by an individual. You don't have time to sit around think, "should I, shouldn't I" or consider the consequences of your actions. These brave people take the actions they are compelled to do and only after the event, consider the consequences.

Even if "Suicide Boy" was seeking attention, you can bet he did it on the spur of the moment as well, without taking in to account his four brave friends whose only consideration at the time was to save their Buddy.

Who is in a position to judge what state of mind "Suicide Boy" was at the time? People react differently to differing stimuli and some are more prone to taking their own life when they can see no happy future for themselves. As has been said, he will no doubt be beside himself with grief and deeply, deeply depressed in knowing his actions were the cause of his friends deaths.

Take criminal action against him? Sure, do give him a good kicking whilst he is down. I hope those who think this way never suffer great grief and bottomless depression.

Ever thought of joining the Samaritans ?

Depression - get off it ! This was a pissed up Thai youth who couldn't deal with his GF's 'flirtations' on Facebook - don't ever try and tell me that compares to GENUINE depression.

This remains one act of stupidity after another that resulted in 4 tragic deaths.