Tinidazole (Legal To Ship Small Amount To Us?)

oldthaihand

A family member back home (US) asked if I could get some Tinidazole to treat another family members Giardia. I have a few concerns: (Any advice is appreciated)

Is it legal to send this medication from Thailand to US? (If it's not, obviously I will not send it.)

I haven't researched the safety of this medication much. However, if something happens to him I'm sure I could be held liable. Even if the chances of something happening are very remote. Why should I take the risk so he can save a few dollars. (I presume this is why they want it. I guess it's cheaper here.)

Is it even available here over-the-counter or at all? (I imagine it is available over-the-counter)

Perhaps, you've gathered I'm not really "feeling this." Just interested in seeing what people thought.

Thanks!!!

From the MIMS site:

Side effects: Metallic taste, nausea, headache, vomiting, dark urine, flushing, anorexia, diarrhoea, tiredness, transient leucopenia.

Potentially Fatal: Hypersensitivity.

MIMS

Not clear about it being prescription only but sending any medicines to the US is taken a risk. Must be many other routes they can use to obtain it cheaper as shipping costs could override any savings.

It is prescription only in the US so you would be breaking US laws by sending it.

It is OTC in Thailand so at the Thai end may be OK but US end a problem.

How does this family member know they have giardia? If it is a self diagnosis then another concern is that they may be wrong as to the problem and indicated treatment,. And if they saw a doctor and had a stool test surely the doctor would write them a prescription?