What Traditions As Ex Pats Do You Bring To Your Host Country?

edwinclapham

Being a very happy & contented product of an English/American background and now living as an ex pat in Australia, married to a Thai with our own twin lads, we love to celebrate our own version of a western Christmas, real tree, decorations etc,dressing the table with crackers..making our own Christmas cards.. carols etc with a bastardised version of a Thai/English spicy Christmas Dinner/ BBQ fish & prawns .. coupled with the Australian Christmas Day of fishing, playing cricket etc... seriously confusing and great fun.

Celebrating Chinese New Year in Perth for example... with Dragon dances, new lion dances, magic shows, fire cracker displays etc

Easter Time, where we paint our eggs before boiling them, the Easter egg hunt etc.

Thanksgiving... which is an assorted table of nationalities, single, couples, mature citizens etc. My wife loves this particular day when she enjoys our cooking together times in the kitchen preparing delicious foods particularly for people who are a long way from home, and possibly alone.

We then love celebrating Loy Krathong in our street, making up the banana leaf receptacles with candles and incense sticks. put out to sail in the swimming pool or down by the beach once night has fallen. Fellow Australians/migrants and their children love to join in in this celebration and is one of the most popular times in our calendar. Nothing more beautiful than to see my wife in her traditional dress at what I consider to be a very spiritual time.

Eating our dinner every evening together around the table which can take a couple of hours. It is our communication time as a family where everything is discussed.. where table manners are important to us .. none of this chasing a child around the room with a spoon encouraging it to eatwhistling.gif with the TV blaring out in the background.

Many ex pats are happy to leave behind their family traditions which is fair enough but we think its an important part of who you are, what do you guys think and what traditions have you brought/ or will bring with you.

Cheers

Eddiewai.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The English bring their ability to moan.....and the Scots bring their ability to annoy the English.

I'll get my coat

I should have expected you to skulk around Bletherwhistling.gif thank you most sincerely for your valuable contributionsick.gifwai.giftongue.png

Sincerity and truthfulness ;-)

That soon gets worn down ! :)

I think Mr Red talks about qualities - those are great and should be blended into the host culture/life where they can. They don't always fit !!

Traditions are different. When we lived on the Darkside in Pattaya we were the only house with Xmas lights and a tree. NOT my idea - the GF wanted to do it. As it was her choice I had no problem with it, but I think it is wrong to stubbornly hold on to 'home country' practices.

Someone asked me if we were going to do a St Georges Day luncheon (at our restaurant) on 23rd April. I said "No", as I felt that belonged back in England and had no place in Thailand. I would not personally attend a St Georges Day lunch in Thailand but I would most certainly attend one if I were back in the UK.

Personal choice as always - and I accept that ANY reason for a booze up is a good one. :)

The English bring their ability to moan.....and the Scots bring their ability to annoy the English.

I'll get my coat

And the English ability to laugh at men in skirts. No wonder the ladyboys love the Scots whistling.gif

cheesy.gif You have a long memory PDwai.gif

Sincerity and truthfulness ;-)

That soon gets worn down ! smile.png

I think Mr Red talks about qualities - those are great and should be blended into the host culture/life where they can. They don't always fit !!

Traditions are different. When we lived on the Darkside in Pattaya we were the only house with Xmas lights and a tree. NOT my idea - the GF wanted to do it. As it was her choice I had no problem with it, but I think it is wrong to stubbornly hold on to 'home country' practices.

Someone asked me if we were going to do a St Georges Day luncheon (at our restaurant) on 23rd April. I said "No", as I felt that belonged back in England and had no place in Thailand. I would not personally attend a St Georges Day lunch in Thailand but I would most certainly attend one if I were back in the UK.

Personal choice as always - and I accept that ANY reason for a booze up is a good one. smile.png

Its always interesting to hear other people' opinions. I wouldnt say I stubbornly hold to home traditions, but I have found we are both passing down our own traditions to our children which they happen to love.

Cheers

I despise almost everything about the UK.

The blatant greed and materialism of it's holidays like Christmas, Easter, Mothers day, Fathers day.

And it's overly moralistic and judgmental capitalist society.

All people in the UK care about is themselves, how much their house is worth and how many holidays a year they can have.

Thatcher's Britain, the country of ME ME ME.

I've dumped the lot.

Certainly another expected point of view and one I held until I had children.

Most of our traditions at home are of the self made variety so I see little harm in it...

I have to say I love seeing the Christmas markets in Holland, Germany, Austria etc.. it makes me very sentimental..

Thanks for your honest contribution.

I can't say that I actually bring any traditions as such to Thailand, but I did bring my Aussie mannerisms and "she'll be right mate" attitude.

However I would like to instill better manners amongst the very young that seem to run amuck around the place.

Mind you I have celebrated ANZAC day here the last 2 years......does that count? thumbsup.gif

I do find it hard to believe that Baby Blether will not be introducing any childhood traditions into Thailand when a resident.!

photo-thumb-132287.jpg?_r=1338944161

I would like to claim drinking whisky on a regular basis however the Thais have beat me to it.

I was intending wearing a kilt but as you and PattayaDingo pointed out, we know how that ended up last time.

Ehm, then again, hmmm??? It was free after all, and you know the Scottish tradition for saving money......

• Like 2

I despise almost everything about the UK.

The blatant greed and materialism of it's holidays like Christmas, Easter, Mothers day, Fathers day.

And it's overly moralistic and judgmental capitalist society.

All people in the UK care about is themselves, how much their house is worth and how many holidays a year they can have.

Thatcher's Britain, the country of ME ME ME.

I've dumped the lot.

I can't argue with the above; I was brought up with it and was very much part of until a few years ago. I am now trying to extract myself from the final remnants of it.

However, I agree with a later poster that Maggie is not to blame for the mess that Britain is in. She instilled some old-fashioned pride and whilst dictatorial (and no doubt a dragon in her own right) she was a real statesman. The subsequent incumbents of that post of not been and, collectively, they have taken the UK down the drain.

I cannot be arsed to go into the individual failings such as back-bone (in standing up to liberals etc om immigration etc), allowing Health & safety, political correctness, bureaucracy etc to stifle industry and small business. I won't even start on the abysmal handling of the financial crisis which led to a lack of confidence and fear factor throughout the banking industry. The effects of that will hinder any growth in the next 5 years.

Rant over - THAT is the lot that I am dumping !

• Like 2

I'm American so we do 4th of July BBQs and Thanksgiving Dinner with the turkey. Some of our family on my Wife's (Thai) side have already been to the States and are accustom to many of these holidays. The one I will miss the most when my daughter gets older is Halloween :). Who dosn't like free candy and spooky dress up ?

• Like 1

I'm American so we do 4th of July BBQs and Thanksgiving Dinner with the turkey. Some of our family on my Wife's (Thai) side have already been to the States and are accustom to many of these holidays. The one I will miss the most when my daughter gets older is Halloween smile.png. Who dosn't like free candy and spooky dress up ?

I HATE Halloween with a passion - although I think the States does it better than Britain.

It is another tradition that Britain has lost control/sight of.

In the UK it has become the equivalent of demanding money with menaces.

Gangs of teenagers will harangue local residents (often pensioners) with demands for money/gifts under the guise of "trick or treat". All manner of retribution follows if you don't send them away with arms full of goodies.

Bah Humbug to Halloween !

I'll get my coat

Dont forget the Scots uncanny ability to time to perfection the need to empty their bladder as the exact same time it's their round.

• Like 1

As to what do we bring to Thailand ,Christmas with all the trimmings ,tree turkey dinner , roast parsnips (which the familly had never tasted ,but now travel from BKK to enjoy) its just like a christmas in England in our house and the kids all come to look at the tree and the lights ,in fact a few of our neighbours now even put up christmas lights themselves .

• Like 1

I can't say that I actually bring any traditions as such to Thailand, but I did bring my Aussie mannerisms and "she'll be right mate" attitude.

However I would like to instill better manners amongst the very young that seem to run amuck around the place.

Mind you I have celebrated ANZAC day here the last 2 years......does that count? thumbsup.gif

One of the most important days of the year Rsquared.. I find it inspirational how seriously the children over here (Oz) take Anzac Day.

The Dawn service for me is very special.

Ah "manners" that is as important to me as a "firm handshake"!

Nothing wrong with the "she'll be right mate" attitude! except its very catching lol.

Cheers mate

As to what do we bring to Thailand ,Christmas with all the trimmings ,tree turkey dinner , roast parsnips (which the familly had never tasted ,but now travel from BKK to enjoy) its just like a christmas in England in our house and the kids all come to look at the tree and the lights ,in fact a few of our neighbours now even put up christmas lights themselves .

I see you got sucked in as well. Thais like to do "pretty pretty" and I know my wife takes great delight in having a Christmas theme every year.

Its not all about materialism , small things give an immense amount of pleasure.

Cheers for the contribution NS

• Like 1

I gave up on most traditions in Canada years ago. Would go sailing on Christmas day when others were home with family,spent my birthdays in Thailand (no party), New years stayed home went to bed or stayed overnight on the boat. Halloween I did stay home to give out things but that was it. So being in Thailand I miss very little and didnot bring any traditions with me.

I did bring traits though. Honesty,politeness,caring for others.

And what is St George day and ANZAC never heard of them

Edited by lovelomsak

I'm American so we do 4th of July BBQs and Thanksgiving Dinner with the turkey. Some of our family on my Wife's (Thai) side have already been to the States and are accustom to many of these holidays. The one I will miss the most when my daughter gets older is Halloween smile.png. Who dosn't like free candy and spooky dress up ?

I HATE Halloween with a passion - although I think the States does it better than Britain.

Gangs of teenagers will harangue local residents (often pensioners) with demands for money/gifts under the guise of "trick or treat". All manner of retribution follows if you don't send them away with arms full of goodies.

But I still love Guy Fawkes (in a controlled environment) the smell of winter, sausage sizzles, kids glowing faces..

• Like 1

Eh? Do you mind? Halloween is a Celtic tradition, Scots and Irish. The night before All Souls Day was when Heaven and Hell were closest together as the departed souls gathered to enter Heaven.

The concern was that the portal to Hell was also open to take in the wicked, and sometimes the evil ghouls would escape and terrorise the living.

Young men would dress as ghouls and wait outside their homes in the hope that the evil one's would be tricked into thinking that the house was being haunted already and move on.

The vast influx of Scots and Irish immigrants took the tradition to the US and kept it alive. Naturally Hollywood had to get involved and now people call it Trick or Treating and think it's a US tradition.

At this point theblether explodes into an apoplectic rage at how Hollywood sanitises everything for profit. Then presents it to the world as being a US tradition. Aaaaarrrgg!!

Just sayin'

I gave up on most traditions in Canada years ago. Would go sailing on Christmas day when others were home with family,spent my birthdays in Thailand (no party), New years stayed home went to bed or stayed overnight on the boat. Halloween I did stay home to give out things but that was it. So being in Thailand I miss very little and didnot bring any traditions with me.

I did bring traits though. Honesty,politeness,caring for others.

And what is St George day and ANZAC never heard of them

Anzac Day http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George's_Day

* Your traits are commendable.

Cheers

Eddie

Eh? Do you mind? Halloween is a Celtic tradition, Scots and Irish. The night before All Souls Day was when Heaven and Hell were closest together as the departed souls gathered to enter Heaven.

The concern was that the portal to Hell was also open to take in the wicked, and sometimes the evil ghouls would escape and terrorise the living.

Young men would dress as ghouls and wait outside their homes in the hope that the evil one's would be tricked into thinking that the house was being haunted already and move on.

The vast influx of Scots and Irish immigrants took the tradition to the US and kept it alive. Naturally Hollywood had to get involved and now people call it Trick or Treating and think it's a US tradition.

At this point theblether explodes into an apoplectic rage at how Hollywood sanitises everything for profit. Then presents it to the world as being a US tradition. Aaaaarrrgg!!

Just sayin'

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif you velly hansum man with rage in your face!